News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

My first 6th edition game

Started by silverfuge, July 13, 2012, 10:54:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverfuge

So I have had my first game of the new warhammer 40k 6th edition rule book and this is what I have found.

1. More options for games to be played (okay so a fair few are about capturing objectives but hey)
2. Monstrous creatures do seem beefed with the new hammer of wrath attack
3. Rapid fire weapons have been made cool
4. Feel no pain is kind of better and worse at the same time lol
5. No more close games I won 7-2 and a friend lost 5-1 (to which I reminded him about Manchester united score against Man city lol)
6. Terrain is not good for charging through.

Personally I like this edition slightly better than the last although If I'm totally honest its less a new edition rather more like a fix for the last one.
Gm is God

crisis_vyper

Quote from: silverfuge on July 13, 2012, 10:54:28 PM
So I have had my first game of the new warhammer 40k 6th edition rule book and this is what I have found.

1. More options for games to be played (okay so a fair few are about capturing objectives but hey)
2. Monstrous creatures do seem beefed with the new hammer of wrath attack
3. Rapid fire weapons have been made cool
4. Feel no pain is kind of better and worse at the same time lol
5. No more close games I won 7-2 and a friend lost 5-1 (to which I reminded him about Manchester united score against Man city lol)
6. Terrain is not good for charging through.

Personally I like this edition slightly better than the last although If I'm totally honest its less a new edition rather more like a fix for the last one.

I agree. It has an element to it that I really love, as it is a mix of both the good things that I like from 4th and 5th edition, and with a dash of fun from 2nd edition and some Fantasy bit that I love. The Warlord table and Challenges are some of the things I like, along with Focus Fire.

My first game in 6th made me see how model placement is really important, and how sniping off models is the norm that a number of 5th edition players are ill-equipped to handle (thankfully my 4th edition experience made me a very good sniper). Focus Fire is your friend, and whenever possible, shoot! Even if your BS is 1, you could still do some major differences if it connects.

And last but not least.....flyers are quite decisive if the other side has no effective ways to counter it.

P.S: I won my first 6th edition game, and it feels very natural to me to be playing with the rules despite only having the book for only 3 days now.

The Man They Call Jayne

The whole system just seems more fluid to me, the game felt like it flowed better.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

silverfuge

We never rolled on the warlord table lol
Gm is God

The Architect of Change (FT)

I've seen a drastic shift in my Eldar army in how it fights and how its composition.

Before, I tended to learn toward a mix of 60/40 shooting/combat ratio but now the mix is more like 90/10 toward shooting.
The reasons are thus:
1. Power weapons are AP3. If I was facing Space Marines, I'd pop in some Banshees for Terminator killing. Now the favourite is Fire Dragons (see reason 2)
2. Overwatch: Even with the enemy snap shooting, I feel that assault is favoured too much toward shooting. Fire Dragons become instantly better than Banshees if they get charged...

I also now take an Avatar over a Farseer if its a toss up between HQ's. Not only that he gets as smash attack, but his "impact hits" and fear causing status instantly put him above the Farseer in my eyes.

I can also see Warp Spiders and Shining Spears becoming more elegant choices to boot with their impact hits (although only at S3).

Haven't played with the Space Marines yet, although it would be interesting to see how my assault focused Fists of Flame gets on in the new edition or whether they'd be shelved to become relegated to pretty display models.

InsaneTD

I think everyone is overestimating overwatch. Now it's my understanding that overwatch is done with snapfire. So, a full 12 man squad of fire warriors will have 24 shots, with sixs to hit, that's four hits. Wounding against marines means they will get 2 wounds, marines will save 1.33 of those. Not game changing, nor will it change the outcome of the assualt. Same squad against a T3 4+ army would get 3 wounds 1.5 unsaved.

In most games, how often do you actually assualt a squad that hasn't taken wounds from shooting?

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Tybalt Defet on July 20, 2012, 05:49:20 AM
I think everyone is overestimating overwatch. Now it's my understanding that overwatch is done with snapfire. So, a full 12 man squad of fire warriors will have 24 shots, with sixs to hit, that's four hits. Wounding against marines means they will get 2 wounds, marines will save 1.33 of those. Not game changing, nor will it change the outcome of the assualt. Same squad against a T3 4+ army would get 3 wounds 1.5 unsaved.

In most games, how often do you actually assualt a squad that hasn't taken wounds from shooting?

Well, overwatch is definitely overestimated, but still that means a likely chance for some weakening of sorts via overwatch which most assault units do not want it. In addition, the threat only grows stronger the larger the group that is about to be assaulted. Every assaulter counts if one is to assault headlong into an infantry blob. Any assaulting unit would have to be really tough and/or consist of a large amount of models. I think that is where the fear comes from, as assaulting a MSU unit would not spark such cries of doom and gloom.

Personally I am not really a person who tends to assault at all, even in 4th and 5th edition and shooting things has always been quite natural for me. Nonetheless it is always interesting to put an assault element in because it is fun. :P