News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Balance of Power since the new FAQ's?

Started by Arguleon-veq, September 27, 2012, 09:06:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

A few weeks ago GW released a load of new FAQ's. Most of them with serious changes to the game.

Prior to these FAQ's it looked like character units would dominate, Draigowing and Nob Bikers doing great at the first few tournaments for 6th and looking like the real powerbuilds. They have now been nerfed, so what are you finding doing well now?

At a tournament last weekend Nids and Daemons were all over the top tables. Eldar/DE come first but that was mainly down to still having a very viable character unit in Bike Councils led by the Baron.

After looking at the latest Daemon rules I can see why they are doing so well. Screamers and Flamers are just stupidly good with Kairos now and the new flying MC rules means they can actually deal with flyers now.

Another big winner seems to be Guard 'Blob' Squads led by a Marine character [usually a Rune Priest]. 50 Guardsmen with a Commissar and 6 Power Axes is very hard to deal with, especially when they are backed up by 2 Rune Priests and a Primaris Psyker. And They Shall Know No Fear makes them a nightmare to get rid of and the axes make them a serious threat in combat. Biomancy from the Primaris makes them hard to kill and Divination from the Priests mean they are a threat everywhere.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

crisis_vyper

My Dark Eldar has been very consistent as it is able to alway wipe out any form of Marine army and Xenos armies or put them in a situation where I can afford to 'play it lame' as fighting game jargon goes. However, it has come to my attention that I need a much more effective form of horde control and in an unfortunate condition of friendly games go, I may have to spam more flyers. 

Another thing that I am noticing is that spamming may be good, but the current rules actually encourage a more "White Dwarf"-looking army to be on the field now, with many different units on the field and with very little copies.

The Man They Call Jayne

I have found my Tau to be more effective than they have ever been. Now that GW are going the way of making Tau harder to hit, almost a stealth army (which I have been suggesting for years now) I find I am much more survivable.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

BigToof

One thing that I have been noticing is the general loss of all mech armies.
The advantages that you used to have, i.e. moving 12 getting out and shooting, assaulting freely if you didn't move, and of course, the almighty 6's to hit if you went cruising speed.
In fact, the introduction of first blood may be the reason why I'm seeing so little.
Given that in some missions, a single VP can win or lose matches, denying first blood can be critical.  A Rhino on the table is essentially giving your opponent that first VP, which can mean all the difference.

As a user of blob guard, I can say that the ability to add Marine characters is a real change, and mitigates a lot of the disadvantages that you traditionally had to deal with.  Morale is no longer a concern, you can have psychic defense, and you also have a lot of staying power.  Oh, and you don't get swept, which is nice as well.

Still, on the other hand, a lot of fragile vehicle armies (i.e. Dark Eldar) did get a boost as you often times can survive a lot of shots and if you have a jink save, that adds to it as well.

I'm eager to see how Chaos will change the meta.  The Codex looks to have the potential for very large squads, with Cultists and standard (13 point??) CSM's doing a lot of the heavy lifting.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

knightperson

I won a local tournament with Tzeentch Daemons about 2 days after the Official Update for the Daemons came out. Flamers and Breath of Chaos were nasty enough before, and the update made them even more powerful. I did lose one game to a Necron "flying circus", but I was about 2 models away from tabling him before the flyers showed up. Still, the lack of flyers or units with Skyfire in the Daemons codex is a bit of a problem. Yes, we have flying monstrous creatures, but they're expensive and I'd rather have them in assault than vector striking. I found the flying vector strikes almost useless against flyers. You don't get enough hits for the points. Although I admit I was using only a Daemon Prince and a Lord of Change rather than a pair of Bloodthirsters or something. A little more strength likely would have helped.
Cured of what I'm suffering from, but suffering from the cure.