News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

The Slow Decline of Grey Knights?

Started by BigToof, December 11, 2012, 04:29:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Matt1785 on December 27, 2012, 11:50:44 PM
I personally ditched all of 6th Edition in favor of Fantasy for a while.  Flyers are just plain stupid, I don't understand why they needed to be a part of regular 40K games.  As for my Grey Knight army, I stopped playing it because my entire army was Deep Striking and now I can't do that anymore.  I did an entire army of fluffy Grey Knights that started off the table and then deep struck onto the table because that's how I feel Fluffy they strike, from the shadows, not in full armored force.

Overall I still think they're top tier, but to be honest, I have seen a SERIOUS decline in 40K play in my southern Florida area.  Lots of people just aren't happy with the new rules, oh well.  Fantasy is still fun for us.

For me it is the entire opposite. I ditched 8th edition as it killed my Warriors of Chaos in more ways than one. My fluff is all about a Mongol-horseback style army, and thanks to 8th it ripped the heart out of my army both function-wise and power-wise. 40k-wise I am a much more sneakier player than I ever should be and the changes actually boosted my particular tendencies. Back home in Malaysia, the older players dropped Fantasy, while the newer players embraced it. I believe the same goes for 40k at the moment for some.

5th Edition is a nice edition, but it suffered from some rather dry rules and also underestimation of some thing which the more competitive in us exploited to kingdom come. 6th Edition is more like a mix of 4th edition and 5th edition. I personally welcome the changes of 6th edition, as it feels like a much more complicated game once more, where positioning is far more important than anything.

And not to be an asshat or anything, but I always loved combat aircraft, and finally I am able to play them on the field. Too bad I can't do something like a THunderbolt wing or something.

Chicop76

Quote from: crisis_vyper on December 29, 2012, 08:03:45 AM
Quote from: Matt1785 on December 27, 2012, 11:50:44 PM
I personally ditched all of 6th Edition in favor of Fantasy for a while.  Flyers are just plain stupid, I don't understand why they needed to be a part of regular 40K games.  As for my Grey Knight army, I stopped playing it because my entire army was Deep Striking and now I can't do that anymore.  I did an entire army of fluffy Grey Knights that started off the table and then deep struck onto the table because that's how I feel Fluffy they strike, from the shadows, not in full armored force.

Overall I still think they're top tier, but to be honest, I have seen a SERIOUS decline in 40K play in my southern Florida area.  Lots of people just aren't happy with the new rules, oh well.  Fantasy is still fun for us.

For me it is the entire opposite. I ditched 8th edition as it killed my Warriors of Chaos in more ways than one. My fluff is all about a Mongol-horseback style army, and thanks to 8th it ripped the heart out of my army both function-wise and power-wise. 40k-wise I am a much more sneakier player than I ever should be and the changes actually boosted my particular tendencies. Back home in Malaysia, the older players dropped Fantasy, while the newer players embraced it. I believe the same goes for 40k at the moment for some.

5th Edition is a nice edition, but it suffered from some rather dry rules and also underestimation of some thing which the more competitive in us exploited to kingdom come. 6th Edition is more like a mix of 4th edition and 5th edition. I personally welcome the changes of 6th edition, as it feels like a much more complicated game once more, where positioning is far more important than anything.

And not to be an asshat or anything, but I always loved combat aircraft, and finally I am able to play them on the field. Too bad I can't do something like a THunderbolt wing or something.

I think 6th is more a harkback to the older rules. True line of sight, and a few other rules are 5th edition, but overwatch for example I believe is the original rule set and maybe second edition. I know it is a rule set in space hulk, only way to kill dem stealers. I just wanted to say space hulk is a pretty hard game to play and get your guys through in one piece.

I haven't played the original game or second edition, but a lot of 6th people tell me comes from thse editions.

The rules for flyers are more complicated rules for skimmers that was in 3rd edition. You could only glance skimmers, and glancing hits could never blow the dumb vehicle up. Wreaking was possible on a roll of a 6, which Eldar skimmers in that edition was rediculous as flyers are in this edition. To be honest it's easier to kill a flyer in this edition than it was for you to kill a Grav tank from Eldar with holo fields in 3rd edition.

For gamers like me who played 3rd and 4th the flyer rules realy doesn't bother me since it's similar to the 3rd rule set, except all races can benefit from it besides one. Probably why Eldar do not have a flyer yet, who wants to deal with a fortuned flyer, worst than a fortuned avatar with doom on the unit he is engaged with.

However a lot of gamers picked up 5th edition and on the same token I seen a decline of older gamers in 5th. I almost quit thanks to true line of sight, sisters, and grey knights, I liked the original knights better as well as sisters.

The 3rd edition knights against daemons was over the top. Not only that they smashed non marine armies especially eldar without any problems. Although re rolling plasma gunners was always fun. The allied rules was heavily abused. The ole mystic squads in your marine or guard army was very annoying.

Thinking about it the only thing I like about the current Grey Knight edition it made Daemons playable. The older edition Grey Knights was very one sided against Daemons. That edition if you have 3 psycannons at least than Fate Weaver was dead, or psyker battle squad and one psycannon would kill Fateweaver.

Although the Grey Knights was nerfed against Daemons and some other armies. They got boosted in dealing with vehicles and marines.

Old grey knights:
Ws 5, fearless, strength 6, psycannons and incinerators ignore invulnerable saves
The older grey kn
ights was the seer council killer. Hitting on 3s, wounding on 2s,and denying that re rollable saves.
I forgot to mention they had two attacks on the charge and when they get assaulted.

New Grey Knights:
Ws 4, marine rule set, strength 4 or can be 5, lower leadership, lost fearless, lost extra attack when assaulted, psycannons and incinerators are cheaper and stronger, yet they do not deny invulnerable saves. Making Fate Weaver playable.

The preferred enemy change did make the Grey Knights harder for Daemons to deal with that army since the can now re roll to hit. Honestly I never fought 6th Grey Knights yet with my Daemons, but it is closer to the older rule set anyway. Grant it the have strength 5 bolters now. Still no denying invulnerable saves mean I can still save.

If people stop playing knights my daemons say yeah man. Only time I lost with daemons against Grey Knights was in 3rd and 4th. Thank goodness they got rid of Santuary which to a Daemon player meant you can't assault nor shot at x squad, but we can blast you all day hahahaha. If they failed their psychic test or my Soul Grinder deviated in to the squad than I can actually do something about it.

I still say they just went to Necrons as the flavor of the day.

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Chicop76 on December 29, 2012, 02:37:14 PM
The rules for flyers are more complicated rules for skimmers that was in 3rd edition. You could only glance skimmers, and glancing hits could never blow the dumb vehicle up. Wreaking was possible on a roll of a 6, which Eldar skimmers in that edition was rediculous as flyers are in this edition. To be honest it's easier to kill a flyer in this edition than it was for you to kill a Grav tank from Eldar with holo fields in 3rd edition.

For gamers like me who played 3rd and 4th the flyer rules realy doesn't bother me since it's similar to the 3rd rule set, except all races can benefit from it besides one. Probably why Eldar do not have a flyer yet, who wants to deal with a fortuned flyer, worst than a fortuned avatar with doom on the unit he is engaged with.

*Brofist*

Agreed and agreed. I started in 4th edition, and killing a Falcon is just as hard if not harder than killing a Monolith.

However a lot of gamers picked up 5th edition and on the same token I seen a decline of older gamers in 5th. I almost quit thanks to true line of sight, sisters, and grey knights, I liked the original knights better as well as sisters.

I never find Grey Knights OP to be honest, but of course that saying I am never much of an assault-happy person due to my Tau background. Of course lances in 5th are somewhat meh-ish but in 6th edition thanks to the changes on AP2 and AP1 made Dark Eldar unnaturally scary for any vehicle.

Right now I am seeing what the Dark Angel book will bring as it could be one of the most balanced armies around, or it could be one of the most painful armies to face against.

Chicop76

Quote from: crisis_vyper on December 30, 2012, 05:17:12 AM

*Brofist*

Agreed and agreed. I started in 4th edition, and killing a Falcon is just as hard if not harder than killing a Monolith.

I never find Grey Knights OP to be honest, but of course that saying I am never much of an assault-happy person due to my Tau background. Of course lances in 5th are somewhat meh-ish but in 6th edition thanks to the changes on AP2 and AP1 made Dark Eldar unnaturally scary for any vehicle.

Right now I am seeing what the Dark Angel book will bring as it could be one of the most balanced armies around, or it could be one of the most painful armies to face against.
*brofist* back.

Yeah the nerfed the crap out of the Falcon and Monolith, they do get +5 cover saves for free now lol.

With my Tau back ground you should had sen my 4th edition nids. My 4th edition nids out shot all armies, but orcs. That being said when 4th nids changed to 5th my shooting even got better. Damn 5th edition nid codex made me mad. My warriors have seen like 3 changes from twin linked deathspittter, to single deathspitter, to boneswords. I personaly love a 6 man squad laying down some strength 5 or 6 templates down with a large blast. That shooting wiped out a lot of squads. Thouht it was funny that nids out template most armies. This edition nerfed nid shooting :(. I really miss my gunline nids and the op dakkafex with bs 3 or was it 4, I just remember you use to upgrade bs to +1 in last codex.

I hope the next codex is balanced. If so more than likely the rest will follow suit. Blood Angels and Tau are the oldest codexes out after the next new codex with Eldar, Orks, and Daemons not too far behind.

That is why my Tau is put up till the new codex is out. One day I'll restart my Eldar army hopefully. I miss my eldar, but I did the Wraith wall of death over running Falcons.

The Man They Call Jayne

Didn't the Monolith get FAQ'd out of having the Jink save?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Chicop76

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on December 30, 2012, 09:10:57 AM

Lol. I lost my sm card and can't access the FAQ. It does make sense since it is so slow, but it I messed up that it may not have it. If it did it would be a more viable model to field.

crisis_vyper

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on December 30, 2012, 09:10:57 AM

Yeah, I believe so. Man in my LGS we made so much jokes about how the Monolith could pull a 'Matrix' dodge despite its large size, with barrel rolls included.

But with that in mind, the FAQs are relatively quick this time round for everyone and stuff. This in effect also made some of the things in the Grey Knights codex a little less amazing as well, which afected their 'following'.