News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Flying Tyranid Swarm Attacks.

Started by Chicop76, December 27, 2012, 10:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicop76

Loooking over the Tyranid book I noticed that feed falls under the rage rules and jump infantry have the hammer of wraith attack.

My question is first what is the negative effect of nids with feed being outside synapse range. Without looking at the FAQ it seems they would get +2 attacks on the charge.

My second part is if feed indeed gives them +2 attacks, hammer of wrath one, and they have four as a base than it is possible for a very cheap model to have seven attacks on the charge with the possibility of adding +4 poison to the attacks. Personally thinking of running these guys with a flyrant which they would have 6 attacks on the charge, but they could re roll to hit due to preferred enemy.

I have to look again in the FAQ to make sure, but wanted to see if they really do have 7 total attacks on the charge which a 9 man squad could produce 63 attacks on the charge for only 135 points.

Going through the FAQ it would seem that the only negative is the unit can not shot while it is in feed mode. This changes some units and being out of synapse might not be as bad as it use to be. Units like Homogaunts out of synapse will have four attacks on the carge.

Although you can argue Lurk is rather good for shooting nids in cover since the only effect is for them to just sit there.

I'm thiniking of getting my nids back together and trying to figure out what units to run. I initialy thought about using deep striking swarms with 4 twn linked shooting attacks, but the 7 winged attacks on the charge seem really good at a decent initiative. The thought behind running a few flying swarms is to take firing from my gaunts, and if strength 6 or higher shots are shot at them that is less high strength shots going to my possible Flyrant. Any way the extra attacks makes them more of a threat.

DEF Knight

jump infantry only get hammer of wrath if they use their jump move in assault, instead of movement. I'm not sure how synapse works in this case, but if they did a regular charge move they do not get hammer of wrath.

Chicop76

Quote from: DEF Knight on December 28, 2012, 04:49:28 AM
jump infantry only get hammer of wrath if they use their jump move in assault, instead of movement. I'm not sure how synapse works in this case, but if they did a regular charge move they do not get hammer of wrath.

My question is why would they do a regular charge move. It benefits for them not to do so. The only reason is if you are assaulting in terrain. Than it would be a decision to have 9 attacks and risk taking a few wounds on 3 wound models. The only do9n side is all the asaulting models have to be in base for all the models to benefit.

If they are out of synapse they revert to feeding, which gives them rage. With rage they act as normal, but charge with two attacks instead of one. Besides the fearless benefit in some cases it is better for them to be in feed mode for the extra attack.

DEF Knight

QuoteMy question is why would they do a regular charge move. It benefits for them not to do so.

Hence why I said I don't know how synapse rules would work in this case.

say, for instance, they had to move as far as possible, therefore using their jump move in the movement phase, it would preclude them from jumping into assault. I haven't looked too closely at how the little flow-chart thing works for synapse in a looooong time, or the FAQs, so I don't know. However, it is a point that might have relevance. Their instinctive behaviour may somehow stop them from jumping into assault, and I would hazard you might want to double check that.

Chicop76

Quote from: DEF Knight on December 30, 2012, 09:43:08 PM
QuoteMy question is why would they do a regular charge move. It benefits for them not to do so.

Hence why I said I don't know how synapse rules would work in this case.

say, for instance, they had to move as far as possible, therefore using their jump move in the movement phase, it would preclude them from jumping into assault. I haven't looked too closely at how the little flow-chart thing works for synapse in a looooong time, or the FAQs, so I don't know. However, it is a point that might have relevance. Their instinctive behaviour may somehow stop them from jumping into assault, and I would hazard you might want to double check that.

I went over thiws the other day. The previous rage forced the unit to head towards the unearest enemy unit. The new rage simply just give +2 attacks. The benefit of feed if you start the turn out of synapse range you have to roll for IB. IB is a leadership roll which most nids of that type range between 6 and 7 for leadership, so it is easy to past. You will still fall pray to morale check during th course of the game. The point is they can easily get the bonus due to being winged and can move out of synapse range rather easily.

I looked through the FAQ and it clarified Lurk instead of Feed. Although feed last edition allowed your stuff to cover ground much quicker than normal.

My issue Feed is actually a benefit while Lurk is not. Shooting Lurking models stay in one place and non shooting lurking models run towards the nearest terrain and sit there. Hive guard for example have feed and can benefit from this as well.