News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Warhammer, wait what?

Started by The Allfather, July 03, 2015, 02:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverfuge

Had a few games down at the club. Basically simplified 40k. The balance mechanism at the moment seems to be wounds and even then you need to have an gentlemans agreement not to be a douche. I think if you want a serious wargame then maybe look at other systems but a quick beer and pretzzles game is fine.

I personally feel they will lose a lot of people from the hobby, some will switch back to 40k and they will gain a lot of other people who previously thought warhammer was too complicated. So prob a net gain for GW as new people spend more to get into the hobby.
Gm is God

Narric

Is Wounds really the best way though? A standard equipment skaven isn't going to be worth the same as an Empire Statetrooper.
The chaps over at Mini Wargaming found that adding Attacks and Wound and multiplying the result by the models' bravery made for a more balanced force.

Thantos

Cant comment much on rules, but the space marine with a bow irks me.

Armour like that to reduce mobility so unable to pull a bow correctly?
Helmet with small eye holes to reduce visibility so you cant see what you are shooting at?
Should be BS1 :P

These holy warriors of sigmar are too close to Space marines, GW know SMs sell well, so now they have SMs in fantasy and an excuse to rewrite the world's fluff to focus around them. Shameless :-\ it's probably a good business decision for them (or they think so at least) but its just sad to see 30 years of fluff trampled on to make way for some shiny new boxed sets that 11 year old kids will buy more of.

I do like the models for both sides so far, but they are not inkeeping with the style or fluff I associate with warhammer fantasy.

Narric

Don't forget about the (Heavy) BoltThrowers
Spoiler

Quote from: Thantos on July 29, 2015, 03:58:31 PM
Cant comment much on rules, but the space marine with a bow irks me.
Rules are free, which is about the only good thing.

I do like the models for both sides so far, but they are not inkeeping with the style or fluff I associate with warhammer fantasy.
I agree with this. Never was much of a Fantasy player, but I still enjoyed reading the lore. If I had the funds, Lore alone would have inspired me to create some fantastic armies.

The Allfather

Armour like that to reduce mobility so unable to pull a bow correctly?
Helmet with small eye holes to reduce visibility so you cant see what you are shooting at?
Should be BS1 :P

But they're basically Angels of Death so they don't really even need to be able to see out of their armor's eye holes, because they have built in auto-targetting programs are supernatural beings.

kingofmonkeys

As someone who's invested a really long time into fantasy I really really dislike it. I really liked fantasy's game play style I wanted an army game not a skirmish game when I started playing fantasy. The overly simplistic ruleset lacks the sort of thing that made fantasy what it was. As for some of the rules model to model measurement is not so great lends itself to all sorts of arguments as to ranged weapon fire. The chaos models look sharp but even if you wanted to use them for something more like fantasy the way they're sculpted pretty much prevents them from ranking up correctly. The sigmarines are just.. wow pretty much of the things any of my fantasy playgroup would have ever wanted that's pretty much dead last in the ranking. the scultps for them are just eugh not a fan and the story for them is hamfisted as they come. Some GW stores are saying you can't even play fantasy on their tables anymore it's age of sigmar or go home, pretty much the entire thing is just pissing on the people who actually enjoyed fantasy.

Quote from: Minako on February 22, 2007, 04:43:31 PM
I'll be under your bed!! So watch out! I poke!
#15 to the new world

Irisado

It is, to all intents and purposes, an indifferent imitation of Kings of War.  I like the fact that the rules are more simplified, but, at the same time, there seem to be holes in them.  Some quite big holes.  There seems to be a lot of emphasis on players just working things out for themselves.  That's okay to a certain extent I guess, but it seems incomplete to me.

It's also a shame that GW decided to tear up all the narrative and background.  That, to me, is disappointing.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

The Allfather

I think a big issue is that they have a tendency to write themselves into a corner by constantly escalating the conflicts in the fluff. Which makes sense, because you obviously don't want the game to stagnate. However, especially in such a setting as a single planet, there's only so much you can do. It's easier to keep things going when you have the entire Galaxy like 40K.

Narric

They still could have Deus ex Machina'd us into the same timeline. Heck, I could actually see the Storm Guard (or whatever they're called) as being the plot device that saves the warhammer world, without the need to reset it. Doing so would have given them freedom to write a age of puase where the races reconcile their loses and victories, allowing for dramatic changes in methodology and mindset, such as dwarfs being envigored to create more devastating technology above their holds in a showy display to deter evilforces from trying anything, the Empire to become more prosperous and stronger in unity, The elves to return to their island or unite under a single banner.

GW pulling a boardwipe and then saying everyone just went back to how they were before, plus this new factions of dudes who are OP as fuck, makes me feel like they couldn't muster the creativity to really capitalise on the world "Reset" they were doing.

I haven't looked at AoS in a while, and now I'm wondering if any of the Time of Ending stuff became unplayable due to being written out of the faction warscrolls. Which again would have been a interesting point to use for a better world reset.