News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

The Sons of Corvane

Started by Chris, February 11, 2014, 08:58:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Ok, so I think I have finally settled on some fluff for my Space Marine Chapter which I am happy with. I'm happy with the name too. This is a WIP, but hopefully you'll be able to see where I'm going with it....

The Sons of Corvane

Founding:
The Sons of Corvane are an Adeptus Astartes Chapter founded during the nineteenth founding following Hive Fleet Anak's arrival in the Ghoul Stars.

The Planet of Tarsish Prime was a backwater and near feral world on the fringe of the Imperium, cast out and forgotten by the empire of man, the native tribesmen found themselves alone as they faced an enemy which they had no chance of defeating. Knowledge of the Emperor had long since been forgotten amongst the tribes people and many had turned back to the worship of their old Gods. With the arrival of the Tyranids, the God of blood and war was ascendant and all other Gods paid fealty to him. Those devout worshippers prayed for a champion to lead them against the new foe and readied ever more war bands to face the numberless enemy, none of whom returned save for one young boy. Born under the star of Tauros, it was taken to be a sign that he was the champion the tribesmen had been praying for. He was Meshiah.

For what seemed like years, the young boy led war bands against the Tyranids. In reality it had only been days, and despite his best efforts, the Tyranids were forcing the tribespeople back to their final refuge of Land Fall. This holy site was a place of pilgrimage which only the most devout of worshippers would take. Legend had it that this was the site where the first men had landed on Tarsish and where God like beings had fought alongside man to tame the world. Of course, this had all faded to mere legend. But legend has a funny way of coming back to memory when most needed. Legend had it that these Giants were called Nephilim, the product of the Gods breeding with mankind, they were the defenders of Tarsish and would fight when they were needed most. It was the vague memory of a children's story which had led the young boy to lead the tribespeople to Land Fall. 

Upon arrival, the young boy set about establishing a workable defence against the enemy. Naturally they were horrifically out matched and it was at the last moment when the final one hundred Warriors were forced to make their last stand in the inner sanctuary of Land Fall that legend met reality. Materialising out of thin air. Giants appeared at the side of the young boy's forces. Fire leapt from their hands and their armour glistened as they engaged the foe in a grisly melee.

Afforded a break in the fight, the young boy looked out the vast alcove which overlooked the plains below, millions upon millions of bodies moved and writhed, like an ocean, the enemy was drawn to Land Fall, and like an ocean, they were breaking upon the fire and armour of the Nephilim Giants. The Young Boy looked up to the skies, what had previously been a beautiful veranda was stained with inky clouds like a toxic fluid spreading throughout lake. His eyes were drawn towards the sun, where normally he might have seen birds flying, he saw steel wings and jet thrusters. Legend had become real, and the young boy simply knew. Salvation had come. 

The young boy had suffered three restless weeks following the encounter with the Nephilim at Land Fall. The giants had forced the enemy into a retreat and were reportedly pursuing them mercilessly killing them where ever they found them and liberating small pockets of resistance which had taken to hiding up in the mountains. Slowly but surely, more and more survivors were making their way to Land Fall and were setting up vigils and worshipping the Nephilim as saviours. A select few had even suggested that the young boy was the God of War himself and Giants were his minions. 'Meshiah' they had called him, meaning saviour, the people revered him as much as they did the giants. It was during one of the worship ceremonies led by the tribal shamans that the Nephilim returned again.
They bought news of whole new worlds out amongst the skies of some 'God-Emperor of Mankind'. One of the giants had addressed the gathered people. He called himself Samuel, he spoke with such power and authority that he was oddly appealing, despite the helmet fashioned in the likeness of a skull which he wore. It was made clear to the people that the Nephilim where here as guardians, and this time, they were here to stay. 

And so the founding of the Sons of Corvane began. Originally founded out of the young warriors who fought in the defence of Land Fall, the young boy was named Aquillion Tauros. One name given by the Nephilim giants, the other name after God whose star he was born under. His battle prowess and intrinsically strategic mind led him to be placed in command of what would come to be the First Company. Aquilion saw fit to take upon the name of the commander of the Raven Guard who had come to their rescue on Tarsish, naming his new warband the Children of Corvane. However, once the transformation of boy into man and man into Space Marine began, it was clear that only the males were acceptable. Therefore the name was changed to 'Sons of Corvane'.
The Sons of Corvane, like all other inhabitants of Tarsish Prime, became fully convinced of the message of the Imperium. Utterly faithful to the Emperor, many young children who did not seek to join the Sons of Corvane joined the Ecclesiarchy and served the Chapter as Priests and as supplicants to the Chaplains.

Today the Sons of Corvane look very different to the early formation of the Chapter. Aquillion Tauros still serves as Chapter Master he has retained the title of Meshiah in his role of leadership as the people of Tarsish Prime still hold that he was sent by the Gods to bring salvation in their time of need. His wisdom has guided the Chapter for three hundred years. He took the holy place of Land Fall to build the Fortress Monastery from where The Sons of Corvane pursue the Tyranid menace of Hive Fleet Anak. Signs of the invasion still mark the planet, whole districts are lifeless and void with pools of digestive fluid occupying marsh like lands. The planet was scarred and bruised, but with each victory, the Sons of Corvane were redeeming their homelands and earning vengeance for the dead.

Much like any Chapter of Adeptus Astartes, the Sons of Corvane adhere to the Codex Astartes. Their organisation is similar to many others with ten companies of one hundred Space Marines, the First Company serves as the veteran company and is affectionately known as the Nephilim in honour of giants of legend, and the tenth serves as the scout company.   

Narric

I like the fluff, but it doesn't seem like the founding of the chapter properlly, just how the planet was remembered by the Emperium, and its few people saved.

I remember reading somewhere that if a population falls under a certain amount, 500 I think, it cannot be sustained, and will die off. A population of 100 would definately die out, and on top of all that, you will be recruiting adolescents from the populace to enforce the Marine chapter? I'm sure someone else will know better than I, but from my understanding, the Sons of Corvane would only have their starting members and would have to emediately resort to recruiting from other worlds, and possibly systems.

Chris

Thanks Narric. This is WIP and I'm currently writing up the next stage. I wasn't aware of this 'population cap' although I have only mentioned it was the last 100 warriors... Women and Children may well have been hidden in the depths of Land Fall... The idea of this is to describe the basic beginnings of the Chapter, the actual founding will come shortly...
Thanks again!

Narric

Ah, alright then. I assume "100 Warriors" was men and woman putting off base wants to survive and outlast the invaders. It is easily concievable that non-combats would survive and would be hidden as best as possible.

As to the Population Cap/Minimum, I do stress that its something I've heard about but not taken much time to research myself. It could well be a made up concept, or something increadibly important to the survival of species and cultures.

Chris

Original post edited to include the conclusion of Tyrannic Incursion and the bedrock of the Chapter Birth... I'll get on to the more relevant stuff later....

Narric

Looking good so far. Now write more!! :P

Chris

New Stuff!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And so the founding of the Sons of Corvane began. Originally founded out of the young warriors who fought in the defence of Land Fall, the young boy was named Aquillion Tauros. One name given by the Nephilim giants, the other name after God whose star he was born under. His battle prowess and intrinsically strategic mind led him to be placed in command of what would come to be the First Company. Aquilion saw fit to take upon the name of the commander of the Raven Guard who had come to their rescue on Tarsish, naming his new warband the Children of Corvane. However, once the transformation of boy into man and man into Space Marine began, it was clear that only the males were acceptable. Therefore the name was changed to 'Sons of Corvane'.
The Sons of Corvane, like all other inhabitants of Tarsish Prime, became fully convinced of the message of the Imperium. Utterly faithful to the Emperor, many young children who did not seek to join the Sons of Corvane joined the Ecclesiarchy and served the Chapter as Priests and as supplicants to the Chaplains.

Today the Sons of Corvane look very different to the early formation of the Chapter. Aquillion Tauros still serves as Chapter Master he has retained the title of Meshiah in his role of leadership as the people of Tarsish Prime still hold that he was sent by the Gods to bring salvation in their time of need. His wisdom has guided the Chapter for three hundred years. He took the holy place of Land Fall to build the Fortress Monastery from where The Sons of Corvane pursue the Tyranid menace of Hive Fleet Anak. Signs of the invasion still mark the planet, whole districts are lifeless and void with pools of digestive fluid occupying marsh like lands. The planet was scarred and bruised, but with each victory, the Sons of Corvane were redeeming their homelands and earning vengeance for the dead.

Much like any Chapter of Adeptus Astartes, the Sons of Corvane adhere to the Codex Astartes. Their organisation is similar to many others with ten companies of one hundred Space Marines, the First Company serves as the veteran company and is affectionately known as the Nephilim in honour of giants of legend, and the tenth serves as the scout company.   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'll stick the in the OP too.

Narric

Great finish to that chapter ^_^

Feels a bit of a time skip, but meh. 40k Fiction is littered with them :P

Will you be expanding to involve some other names of note?

Chris

I will at some point... I want to do something with the tribal gods and stars being ascendant and birth of captains... But I'm not sure what yet...

I'll also perhaps do a bat. rep. from the eyes of a marine tomorrow too. Depending on how I feel, I've been ill all day today, so was able to finish that and paint a miniature, so I may do some writing tomorrow....