News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Von'Ta Cadre: Project Log

Started by CoffeeGrunt, December 17, 2013, 02:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoffeeGrunt

Ah, the Riptide on the right? He was bought from a friend, so I had no say in how he was posed or built. He's out of the question, wouldn't wanna try cutting and reposing him. D:
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

salamut2202

Hoe did I only find this now? Awesome job.

CoffeeGrunt

I'm flattered, thanks! :)

The Shas have finally received their shipment of XV-91 Trauma battlesuits. I definitely recommend these babies from Heavy Support.com. They're a bit taller, slimmer and generally need a wider base than our beloved XV8s. However, they lack the serious mould line problems with the Jetpack assembly that I personally find annoying on the XV8s. The design is fully posable at the knees and elbows, though the lower legs feel a bit thin and the hooves are a pain to get out of the resin block. There were a few flaws but nothing serious, I've used Blu-Tac to hold the weapons in place for the moment until I work out a safe, clean way to magnetise them.

The Plasma Rifles and Flamers are both much beefier and scarier than the Crisis Suit variants. The Burst Cannons have a more enclosed design that I personally prefer, with the Fusion Blasters being fairly familiar and the Missile Pods also. The nice touch is the Missile Pods having a grid of ten smaller missiles, which makes more sense IMO. The weapons are built into the forearm, which is something I've always wanted from Crisis Suits.

These guys have prompted me to try the XV9 rules, (with Fusion Cascades, which still kinda sucked.) I think a 10pts drop in the XV9 rules, with the alternate weapons being free to switch to - given that they're all roughly comparable - is all they need, but that's unlikely to happen.

Also I've started a small force of Blud Rehvens. There are just days when you don't wanna build cool Battlesuits or paint them, y'know? Crazy, but it happens. Space Marines are really nice to assemble, though, and the painting of them is also pretty nice. (So many smooth, curved surfaces with no awkward gaps to work brushed into!)

salamut2202

Those alternative suits are superb.

Narric

WhenI last checked, HS is only selling the Mortian Tank. Shame, becuase I liked the look of the Suits as well.

How does the size compare to a regular crisis suit?

CoffeeGrunt

They're about 2cm taller, and a bit wider. The longer legs coupled with said legs being posable means they spread their pose out on the base a bit more, and need a 60mm base to fit comfortably.

They're available again now, though. Right here:
http://gwfwmort.bplaced.net/web1/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&category_id=3&product_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2&lang=en&vmcchk=1&Itemid=2

Weapon options are sold separately for a pittance.

Narric

Hmm, thats a different site to the one I checked: http://www.heavy-support.com/

Awesome to know they're still available :)

CoffeeGrunt

Took a small break from Tau to get a small Allied force of Blood Ravens painted. It could be fun to play them alongside the Tau, representing engagements on Kronus where the two sides may have had to unite against a common foe:

Also managed to get some painting down on my "XV-91 Trauma" battlesuits from Heavy Support. These are lovely models to paint, and I'm plannig on picking out the details a bit more thoroughly later:

CoffeeGrunt

Welp, might as well put these up here:

Finished a Gue'vesa Leman Russ to go with my counts-as Fire Warriors. Really liking the Executioner and have always wanted to build a Leman Russ.

Just need to do highlight work and wearing on the main chassis, then it's onto the sponson and hull weaponry!

Narric

CoffeeGrunt

Thanks! I've finished off the Russ but sadly forgot to get a decent up-close pic of it. It's in the background of this one, though, I'll get a new pic along with some pics of my Chimera and Tempestus Scions, too.

For now, the beginnings of my rank-and-file Gue'vesa'saal. Basically the equivalents of the standard Guardsmen, but now fighting for the Tau Empire.

Narric

Saal means recruit, roughly. I don't think the Tau let the sholdiers onto the battlefield until they've reach the rank of Warrior, which is "La."

Looking forward to seeing more up close pictures of the LRBT ;) and the Sergeant and Coms dude for the Gue'vesa squad.

CoffeeGrunt

Gue'vesa'la are likely to be on the same level equipmeroles and lignt-wise as a Fire Warrior, which is a fairly vaunted status. IMO, they'd have to prove themselves first, hence the period fighting as Gue'vesa'saal in Planetary Defense and light support.

Narric

So in your mind the Gue'vesa'saal are the Infantry Platoon, while the Gue'vesa'la are the Veteran squads?

CoffeeGrunt

Gue'vesa'saal are the line troopers, equivalent of Imperial Guardsmen. Vesa'la are counts-as Fire Warriors, Vesa'ui are Veterans/Scions, Vesa'vre are high-ranking Officers and Command Squad leaders. Vesa'O would be the overall Planetary Governor or the like.