News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Warhounds [SW] vs Necrons [1850]+ Warhounds vs Chaos [2000]

Started by Arguleon-veq, October 27, 2012, 12:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

I think I have finally settled on a list I want to start running regularly as ive been all over the place with my lists this edition. Starting out and doing very well with Nob Bikers + Lootas, trying out my old Space Wolf Horde, giving my Eldar and Guard a try and then having to take a mix of Guard and Wolves for a tournament using the models I had painted. This what the list has evolved into and im pretty happy with it:

[1850]
Rune Priest: Chooser
Rune Priest:
10 Grey Hunters: 2 Melta, Banner
10 Grey Hunters: 2 Melta, Banner
Drop Pod:
Drop Pod:
6 Long Fangs: 5 Missiles
6 Long Fangs: 5 Missiles

Primaris Psyker:
Platoon Command: 2 Flamers
50 Guardsmen -
Commissar,
6 Power Axe,
2 Melta Bombs,
3 Flamers,
3 Autocannons.
Special Weapon Team: 2 Flamers
Vendetta: HB
Vendetta: HB
Manticore:

So I had 2 games today, first up was a guy who I had a massive winning record against last edition but this edition its super close between us. It currently stands at 4-4 and although my wins have been big wins he keeps sneaking results against me in the last few games, getting the extra turn when he needs it or the game ending on turn 5 when it will give him the win etc. So this one is to give somebody the lead in the head to head and im due some luck!

This is what he is running:

Destroyer Lord: Scarabs, 2+ Save, Scythe
Lord: Scythe
10 Immortals: Veil Cryptek
5 Warriors: Voltaic Staff Cryptek
5 Wraiths:
5 Wraiths:
5 Wraiths:
Annihilation Barge:

Annihilation Barge:
Annihilation Barge:
Night Scythe:
Night Scythe:
Night Scythe:

Mission: 5 Objectives
Deployment: Dawn

Deployment:
I deploy my whole 54 strong blob [all 3 characters] together on top of a big massive bunker with the long fangs either side and the manticore hidden behind it. There is one objective on here. One behind a building in his depo zone which his immortals are holding. One on each flank and one dead centre.

Besides his immortals on my right flank he has his barges one on each flank and one central each joined by a wraith squad. Destroyer lord with the central wraith squad.

My powers are all useless besides the primaris power from prescience, my other priest has jaws and lightning. My warlord trait does give me stealth ruins though.

Night fighting is ON turn 1 and he is going first.

Early Game:

Despite going first he is way more cautious than I expect and hangs his wraiths back and just edges his barges forward, he is very worried about me getting jaws on his destroyer lord although that isnt his warlord.

I drop my first pod out on my left flank, I figure I can pop the barge with meltas and with my wolf banner I fancy my chances at taking the charge of 5 unsupported wraiths. I do fire some missiles into those wraiths and take them down to 4 which will also help. My meltas get 2 penetrating hits but I only stun it twice, he passes his test to ignore stunned results though, he passes every one of these for the rest of the game so I wont mention them again.

My autocannons, lightning, other missiles and manticore all open up on the other wraiths although the manticore hits the other barge twice too taking it down to 1 hull point and armour 11. In all I kill about another 5 wraiths. No first blood though.

His wraiths still hang back besides the unit near my pod squad who move in for the charge.

2 of his flyers arrive one heads at my long fangs on my right flank and the other goes flat out to get a bead on the side of my manticore.

His barge that I had melta gunned turns around and blasts away 2 marines. His flyer aiming at my fangs gets 5 wounds, I then fail 4 saves. His barge on that flank then takes out my sarg leaving just 1 missile, but still no first blood.

His shots on my manticore only manage 1 penetrating hits and no glances, Im also getting a 3+ cover against the one pen, I fail it. Then he rolls a 6 for damage and blows me up so an unlikely first blood to him and a big loss for me.

The wraiths charge but thanks to my wolf banner I gun 1 down with overwatch, I then chop one down before they strike, I lose 3 marines and break and get away.

I auto rally as my vendetta unit and second pod arrive. The second pod goes to support the first. They put their two meltas at the barge on that flank with 1 hull point and AV11, they do nothing, I then put 5 missiles into the rear armour of it, which does nothing. The rest of my shots whittle those wraiths down on the other flank a little more whilst my vendettas blow away a night scythe.

My rallied squads shoots the wraiths that broke them and follows up with a charge, wiping them out.

Things are looking pretty good at this point, he is down to about 4 wraiths and his lord, has 2 crippled barges and a flyer down.

Mid Game:

The other flyer arrives as the first carries on off the table. His warriors from the downed flyer arrive and move on to support the immortals. His wraiths and lord start to move across the table towards the other flank and my pod squads. All his tesla open up on my vendettas. The lucky one that survived those meltas and missiles last turn actually gets 4 sixes to hit, for a total of 12 hits, against my flyers. On its own!. The others get a few hits but thanks to only being S7 and me having AV12 and some lucky jink saves, each vendetta only loses a hull point each.

In my turn I finally kill the damaged barges on my right and left flanks whilst my vendettas open up on the wraits leaving just 1 and the lord left. My 16 marines now out on the left flank take the objective out there.

He starts to move his immortals for the objective on the right flank, leaving the one in his building for his warriors. His gauss takes a hull point from my lead vendetta. His flyers now both get a bead on my 6 man squad along with his remaining barge and all 6 are gunned down thansk to some poor 3+ saves.

End Game:

I start to move my blob squad off the bunker towards the central objective whilst my command squad take the objective on the bunker itself. I unleash a load of lasgun shots and my vendettas at his immortals and kill 5 after reanimation protocols.

In his turn 5 he moves the immortals onto that objective and readies his lord and final wraith for a turn 6 charge on my 10 grey hunters if the game goes on. He remaining barge shoots at my vendettas and again despite needing 6's to hit, he does 2 hull points of damage, I fail both jinks and lose my back vendetta containing my special weapon team, 5 die as it crashes and the last one breaks. So now his Necron Warriors are safe on his objective.

I drop the last vendetta into hover mode and unload on the immortals with it but only kill 1 so they remain on the objective. I get a good run move though so my blob squad holds the central objective.

Now he has first blood I have linebreaker and I have 3 objectives to his 2 so its 10-7 to me. We roll to see it it ends.....it doesnt!.

His warriors gun down the now skimming vendetta. His flyers drop one unit of warriors off in my depo zone for linebreaker and the other unit to contest the objective my grey hunters are on. His lord who had shrugged off meltas and bolters in my turn does it again through overwatch and him and his wraith wipe out my squad for no damage as the warriors had killed 5 with 10 shots just before he charged.

Going into my turn 6 its now 3 objectives to two for him, so i need to kill 1 immortal and to get rid of those warriors on the other objective to take the game.

I unload a mass of lasgun fire, twin linked due to prescience along with living lightning at them, he gets deny the witch against my lightning annoyingly then my mass of las shots hits home, when the dust settles 1 warrior remains standing.

Now knowing i cant take it this turn my primaris who has left the blob squad rather than running to contest the immortal objective just unleashes smite but he gets another deny the witch roll.

Its still looking possible for turn 7 as I have pretty much all my blob squad left, Id need my drop pod storm bolters to kill the last necron warrior while my squad kills 2 immortals for the win. We roll for it.....the game ends!.

I lose 11-6

Post game thoughts: Again he pulled it out by the skin of his teeth. Turn 5 it was mine, turn 6 his and turn 7 anybodys but as usual he got the right turn ending. It was another fun and tense though, I was impressed at how much damage I did so early as once id reduced the wraiths so much i was pretty confident my grey hunters could hold their flank. What let me down was my 3+ saves and those barges getting so many hits on my flyers. Failing so many 3+ saves meant my units on my left flank were so weakened the destroyer lord could finish them and losing my loaded vendetta to tesla meant my special weapon team couldnt deny him an objective and take one themselves.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Arguleon-veq

The second game of the day was to be at 2000 points. I put 2 Storm Shield, Chainfist, Terminator Armour Lone Wolves in my list but had to lose the 2 Melta Bombs and a Power Axe from the blob squad to fit them. This is what I was to face:

Chaos Lord: Brand, 4+ Invun, Jugger, Power Sword.
10 Bezerkers: Vets, Power Wep
10 Raptors: 2 Melta, Mark of Khorne, Power Wep
Hellbrute:
Maulerfiend:
Maulerfiend:
Maulerfiend:

Mission: 5 Objectives [Again]
Deployment: Dawn [Again]
Night Fight ON [Again]

Deployment:
I got the same side and deployed the same way but with my lone wolves out front either side of my blob. There was 2 objectives either side of my bunker. My opponent put two across the middle of the board as he would obviously be closing with me and I got to place the last one which I put in his depo zone in a corner behind a building. There was a reason for this.

His raptors and lord are central the rest is just a solid wave ovf bezerkers broken up by walkers. I was pretty worried about those maulerfiends after reading how fast they are and how much damage they do in combat. If i could deal with those early I thought i may be able to deal with the bezerkers with close range fire and combat.

Early Game:

I get first turn, my manticore opens up on a mauler which is getting a 4+ thanks to night fight giving it shrouding but I get 3 shots and do 2 pens on it which also immobalises it which is a relief, one bezerker is also caught in the blast and dies. The rest of my shooting goes at the mauler on my right flank and I manage to blow it up.

I drop my pod squad into my own deployment zone on my right flank, facing across the table from where I put that other objective.

My lone wolves move out to try and get a glorious death.

In his turn 1 his lines surge forward. The burning brand downs a few of my blob squad but I had been super lucky with my powers getting the 4+ ward from prescience and the power that gives me feel no pain from biomancy on them.

The hellbrute takes a shot at my left flank lone wolf but it bounces off his storm shield. The maulerfiend gets a big charge off on my other lone wolf, it takes a wound off me and then I pass my counter attack, get 3 hits, 3 pens and he fails all 3 saves and I blow up the maulerfiend.

In my turn 2 I drop my pod onto that objective in his deployment zone as thanks to the surge forward only 1 bezerker squad can now react to this pod squad. The other pod squad facing them across the table move up to lend some bolt shots to help their brothers and when the bolters and meltas clear I have reduced that bezerker squad to half strength which im confident my 10 hunters with a banner can deal with.

I unleash my blob squad on the raptors, with first rank fire second rank fire and re rolling misses I kill 5 with lasguns. My missiles and manticore goes into thinning the hordes of bezerkers a little, my flyers fail to arrive though.

My wounded lone wolf charges the chaos lord whilst the other charges the hellbrute. The hellbrute actually hits on overwatch with his multi melta but i pass my save and smash the hellbrute with my chainfist. My other survives against the chaos lord and does a few wounds.

His Bezerkers pile into my lone wolves to lend support whilst his 5 on my right flank charge my 10 grey hunters who drop one with overwatch before they hit combat.

His raptors swoop down towards my blob squad and charge in. The raptors kill a few guardsmen before being cut down by power axes. My lone wolves both survive their combats despite the hordes around them.

My 10 grey hunters facing off against 4 bezerkers get a shock when the champion kills 5 on his own, I then lose another to the other bezerkers but I do kill 2 in return leaving it 4 guys to 2 in my favour.

Glorious Lone Wolves:

Thanks to my lone wolves holding I have next to nothing to shoot at. My flyers arrive and finish off the immobalised mauler. I now need my lone wolves to survive another turn as he is close to my lines and will be free to charge in his turn if they die now. Amazingly both lone wolves hold again whilst my marines lose 1 guy but cut down the last 2 bezerkers. They consilodate onto the objective in that corner whilst the other grey hunters move towards one of the more central objectives.

In his turn I now really want my lone wolves to die so I can shoot his army in my next turn and my opponent is really unlucky as they both do die this turn which is very lucky for me.

This leaves his army open and all my guns unload on him really thinning his numbers.

Thanks to so many bezerkers dying my opponent no longer has a realistic chance of beating my blob squad so he dives on the central 2 objectives to hug cover and burns some grey hunters with the brand.

In my turn I manage to wipe out the last of the army with shooting despite cover although my warlord does die to a second perils.

Victory for the Warhounds!

Post Game Thoughts:
That was all down to those lone wolves really. My firepower was nice and my psychic powers really boosted the blob squad but those lone wolves taking out the walkers, holding up the army for so long and dying exactly when I needed them to was just super lucky and really cost my opponent. If it wasnt for that he may have gotten into my lines with enough bezerkers to clear me off my objectives.

My lone wolves were due a good game though, their roll of honour so far is a measly 1 necron lord kill and they have died to gaunts, warrior acolytes and guard in combat. They finally got the glorious deaths they had been hunting.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33