News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Army-Base RPG [Feeler Thread]

Started by Zen, April 01, 2013, 06:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zen

Okay, final say on numbers in your army:
Tau: One Cadre + Some Support
Orks: 2,000 Ork Boys (Mechanized Boys count as 2 and Ork Bikers count as 5 Ork Boys from that 2,000) + Some Support
Space Marine: Battle Company + Some Support
Catachan Jungle Fighters: 2,000-Strong + Some Support
Adeptus Sororitas: 200 Women-at-Arms + Some Support

Do not worry about transportation (unless you are already mechanized) as well as artillery, anti-air and air support. Landers, Valkyries, Orcas and even Manta Rays will be provided when available as well as orbital bombardment, air strikes and emergency evacuation is available when it is.

Waaaghpower

Does 'mechanized' mean 'in a vehicle?' Because if so, I've got waaaaay to many guys. (Question, though, whi is one biker worth five whole boys?)
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Zen

Quote from: Waaaghpower on April 03, 2013, 04:58:04 AM
Does 'mechanized' mean 'in a vehicle?' Because if so, I've got waaaaay to many guys. (Question, though, whi is one biker worth five whole boys?)
Yes, in Vehicles. Because not every Boy has enough teef to get himself a bike.

The Allfather

Ok, how about I just send down Alfa Detachment and the Palatine/retinue. That would put me at 181 Battle sisters + support.

Dra'Tuisisch-Novae

Those numbers peg a single Cadre as being equivocal to a Battle Company =\. One Space Marine is a close to a good match for a Guard infantry platoon sans support elements...
[Bender]I'm back baby![/Bender]

Waaaghpower

That depends on fluff you look at... sometimes sixty or seventy space Marines get their asses handed to them by a couple hundred orks... other times one kills an entire ork army plus a chaos army.

Waaaghpower

I also edited down my army in scale a bit. I'm now at about 2000, though that doesn't include my Dakkajets or deffkoptas.

Zen

Quote from: Dra'Tuisisch-Novae on April 03, 2013, 02:48:11 PM
Those numbers peg a single Cadre as being equivocal to a Battle Company =\. One Space Marine is a close to a good match for a Guard infantry platoon sans support elements...
Then your objectives that will be given to you will be easier to achieve AND you will gain the necessary support in the form of NPCs.

Quote from: Dra'Tuisisch-Novae on April 03, 2013, 02:48:11 PM
The current participating Space Marine also hamstring himself coz he's playing an almost dead Space Marine Chapter. I wouldn't worry too much about Space Marines right now.

Quote from: Waaaghpower on April 03, 2013, 03:50:11 PM
I also edited down my army in scale a bit. I'm now at about 2000, though that doesn't include my Dakkajets or deffkoptas.
That should be fine.

Aun

QuoteThe current participating Space Marine also hamstring himself coz he's playing an almost dead Space Marine Chapter. I wouldn't worry too much about Space Marines right now.

Famous last words.

Waaaghpower

Question: Which fluff are we drawing on to determine how powerful everyone is?

The Allfather

Waaaghpower

After all like I said earlier, depending on the fluff you draw from a space marine is as deadly as anywhere from 2 and a half ork boys to an entire army of them... with some CSMs and Daemon Princes thrown in.

Mabbz

Do we have to limit ourselves to codex legal units and forces? Because my commander's fluff has him field testing experimental drone units (Drone harbinger from Dawn of War, for example). Also, for support I would like mobile drone repair facilities, mostly for repairs, but also for fabricating new drones from salvaged vehicles and other metal deposits.

My forces (incomplete)

Army layout:
Leadership: Shas'O Kor'vesa Vishai (Commander Dronestorm)

Tau Cadre:
Shas'O and bodyguard (with 6 gun drones)
4 full strangth fire warrior teams with devilfish transport
1 pathfinder team with devilfish
8 gun drones
3 heavy gun drones
4 pirhana
2 hammerheads with railguns
1 Broadside team

Support:
2 Remoras
2 DX-4 technical drones

Zen

Quote from: Waaaghpower on April 03, 2013, 04:44:57 PM
Question: Which fluff are we drawing on to determine how powerful everyone is?
Space Marines are powerful if they're played the right way i.e. precision strikes, hit-and-run, actually taking cover, etc. However, I will not reward headlong charges against an entrenched opponent or fighting numerically-superior enemy on open ground or anything else like it. I would be forgiving on the casualties and those Space Marines that may actually die while the others, especially the Orks and to a certain extend, the Tau (since they're on homeground) and the Imperial Guard, would have relatively higher casualty rate but have a more ready supply of manpower.

I would expect everyone play smart except the Orks. The Orks are free to do headlong charges and be expect to succeed 50-50.

Quote from: Waaaghpower on April 03, 2013, 05:05:06 PM
After all like I said earlier, depending on the fluff you draw from a space marine is as deadly as anywhere from 2 and a half ork boys to an entire army of them... with some CSMs and Daemon Princes thrown in.
I would really put Chaos Space Marines on par with Imperial Space Marines. Really never liked how even Chaos Space Marines are killed in droves and sent in as a horde.

Quote from: Mabbz on April 03, 2013, 07:24:37 PM
Do we have to limit ourselves to codex legal units and forces? Because my commander's fluff has him field testing experimental drone units (Drone harbinger from Dawn of War, for example). Also, for support I would like mobile drone repair facilities, mostly for repairs, but also for fabricating new drones from salvaged vehicles and other metal deposits.
I would rather if you would but then again, I begrudgingly approve of some units like the Tau's Sun Shark and Space Marine's Storm Talon. Drone Harbingers though, I wouldn't approve.

Zen