News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

2S Tau Empire Codex - 6th Edition Restart

Started by Narric, July 13, 2012, 09:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

From my point of view, the old project died due to a lot of reasons. Differing ideas, Rumours of a Tau update, near continuous codex creep from official codexi, I'm sure the list can go further.

But I'm sure with the begin of a new Edition, now is the prime time to throw some fuel onto the old embers of this project. I'm not sure if Ravager will take the reins of the actual writing, but that can be decided later.

We can either start from scratch, or if someone is willing to find a copy of the previous 2S Codex, then that would be excellent. But I just realised I have a copy of 2S'Dex Ver 0.45

I'd like to say right now though:
There are no dumb ideas, only misguide observations.

The Man They Call Jayne

Well I thinks its all but a given that the Barracuda will be coming in. Might have a significant rewrite though.

New rules, well Railrifles might get Sniper?

I think the Skyray might be getting a significant work over aswell, probably getting Skyfire like it used to be in the beginning.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Cammerz

I have a PDF version of an old Fandex (It says v450 on it, but that could mean 4.5). If someone can explain how to get a link to it on here then I can do that (at the moment its just a PDF on my PC so I assume I need to upload it to a website of some sort first).

Narric

Hmm, i don't seem ta have a copy of the old Official rules for Barracudas, so the 2S'Dex rules will have to do.

As per the rulebook ,having the "Sniper" USR, would actual be worse for Rail Rifles, as it specificaly states a Sniper weapon is S3. They merely need to be updated to include the "Precision Shot" Character rule. We also wound most things on a 3+ or better, so another eason why the Sniper USR is worse.

From observation and discussion with avid Sky Ray users, I think it merely needs the ability to "Reload" its Seeker Missiles. Aside from that, no huge amounts of work need to be directed at it.

@Cammerz
I have the same copy, and I can easily upload it to a PDF sharing site.

I'll update the OP with the link once it's done.

The Man They Call Jayne

If I am honest, The best version for the Skyray I have seen was the 2Sdex version. You either fire up to 3 missiles at a time, OR you can fire a Battlecannon shot as Barrage.

Narric

Well the 2S'dex does need a clean-up still.

If I remember correctly, there are a lot of references to rules and abilities from older versions, and somes rules will either need replacement or re-write with 6th Edition core rules.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on July 13, 2012, 10:39:01 AM
New rules, well Railrifles might get Sniper?

I think the Skyray might be getting a significant work over aswell, probably getting Skyfire like it used to be in the beginning.
So you want Sniper weapons that wound most things on 2+ and ignore the armour of pretty much everything? (assuming I'm remembering the stats correctly) These things had better cost an arm and a leg. Eldar cost ~20pts a pop and aren't that good.

No issues with the Skyray getting Skyfire though. :)

As I've said before, Tau don't need many boosts as they stand, they simply need tweaking and a couple of new toys, like 'Nids did when 4th became 5th. Instead we got Crudface and nerfed into oblivion while his beloved Guard got everything we needed and then some. Hopefully this project can find a happy medium.

I will say 1 thing though, Flechettes need a SERIOUS revamp. They are terribly broken in their current incarnation. Being abole to wipe out half a unit of genestealers BEFORE they attack for just 10pts is absurd.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

The Man They Call Jayne

Railrifle is only 1 Strength over a Heavy Bolter. They are expensive aswell. Although as stated Sniper would be a step down. Just Precision Fire is all that is needed.

Narric

You raise a point Mkoll.

Should this project be for writing a completely new, Fan-dex for Tau, or to write a fan-made Errata for Tau?

Skyfire seems like an obvious choce to add to Sky Rays.

What about Markerlights? There are a fair few new Universal Special rules we could effectively make into Markerlight abilities. Skyfire, Blind, Interceptor (vehicle only?), Monster Hunter, Split Fire, could all be abilities confered onto units through a similar use of markerlights to how we use them now.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on July 13, 2012, 11:36:57 AM
Railrifle is only 1 Strength over a Heavy Bolter. They are expensive aswell. Although as stated Sniper would be a step down. Just Precision Fire is all that is needed.
Ok, so wounding almost everything on 2+, insta-gibbing several races, and ignoring armour in ~50% of cases. Add in Precision fire and you're talking roughly 30pts for 1 pathfinder with that I would say. Give or take.

Quote from: Narric of 4th Sphere on July 13, 2012, 11:37:53 AM
Should this project be for writing a completely new, Fan-dex for Tau, or to write a fan-made Errata for Tau?

What about Markerlights? There are a fair few new Universal Special rules we could effectively make into Markerlight abilities. Skyfire, Blind, Interceptor (vehicle only?), Monster Hunter, Split Fire, could all be abilities confered onto units through a similar use of markerlights to how we use them now.
I have no problem with this being a new codex, it's easier to introduce shiny new toys that way. :)

Markerlights, frankly, I think are powerful enough at the moment. They're one of the reasons I feel Tau don't need major boosts. They're still the only army in the game who can negate a cover save with rapid fire weapons from their Troops choices, something which has been made even easier with the recent changes to cover.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

Narric

Quote from: Warmaster Russ on July 13, 2012, 11:44:30 AM
Ok, so wounding almost everything on 2+, insta-gibbing several races, and ignoring armour in ~50% of cases. Add in Precision fire and you're talking roughly 30pts for 1 pathfinder with that I would say. Give or take.
How about Elite Pathfinders, with this ability regardless of weapon? :P

It could work. Remember, Grotesques? They were effectly turned into two new units, one keeping the name, the other the appearence. Maybe something similar could happen with Pathfinders?

Quote from: Narric of 4th Sphere on July 13, 2012, 11:37:53 AM

I have no problem with this being a new codex, it's easier to introduce shiny new toys that way. :)

Markerlights, frankly, I think are powerful enough at the moment. They're one of the reasons I feel Tau don't need major boosts. They're still the only army in the game who can negate a cover save with rapid fire weapons from their Troops choices, something which has been made even easier with the recent changes to cover.

I'll try and keep track of changes. I won't go full blown Codex just yet, as right now we're kinda just being a think-tank.

The Man They Call Jayne

For Pathies to get a railrifle they have to give up the Markerlight. Asking 30 points is a bit steep given the loss involved. As it stands I think Pathies are 3 less than a Grey Hunter and +10 for the upgrade. Plus the mandatory Devilfish.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: Narric of 4th Sphere on July 13, 2012, 11:49:59 AM
How about Elite Pathfinders, with this ability regardless of weapon? :P
If they pay for it, sure. But their weapons would have to cost more as a result of this rule applying in the same way that Tyranid weapons costed more depending on the strength of the creature in 4th.

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on July 13, 2012, 11:50:41 AM
For Pathies to get a railrifle they have to give up the Markerlight. Asking 30 points is a bit steep given the loss involved. As it stands I think Pathies are 3 less than a Grey Hunter and +10 for the upgrade. Plus the mandatory Devilfish.
Yes but they give up a markerlight for a weapon which can insta-gib quite a lot of people out there and deny them an armour save in the process. Bear in mind I said 30pts for the weapon AND the guy carrying it, not just for the weapon. However, that may be a bit much. 25 perhaps? Just more than an Eldar Pathfinder, but a lot more likely to wound.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

The Man They Call Jayne

Dont forget that as it stand the Eldar Pathfinders have Rending AND a possible AP1 shot. In this edition that is huge.

Railgun Convention

Just sayin', Rail Rifle-equipped Pathfinders are almost 30pts/pop anyway. So that sounds fair to me :P

And don't forget, they're only T3 Sv4+, so they're not exactly durable themselves.
So how many crashes have I survived now?