News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

6th Edition WTFs?

Started by BigToof, July 02, 2012, 09:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on September 07, 2012, 06:44:11 PM
The devilfish is still over priced even with that save. Although its utility just went up because it isnt worth shooting with anyway.
...the hell it is. It's still Front Armour 12. That's one hell of a difference from Armour 11. Also, this isn't just applicable to Devilfish, it applies to Hammerheads, Piranha and Skyrays too. A 2+ cover save for turbo boosting Piranha shouldn't even exist, the fact that it does means that it should at least be priced sensibly, not given for as good as free.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

knightperson

Vehicles with 2+ cover saves, I admit, is pretty nuts, especially since in some cases that cover save allows shooting as well. It's no good against melee, vehicles can't overwatch, and the flechette launcher isn't all that effective against some units, so it sounds like the way to down Tau vehicles is to run up and punch them. Or at least get into melta range. Which is odd considering how much shooting was strengthened over assault in 6th Edition, but this is the Tau we're talking about so I guess it makes sense. The other option would be to clobber them with Breath of Chaos if you happen to be running the right army.

Now what the heck happens when an IG Hydra fires at a turboboosting, disruption-podded piranha at over 12 inches range? Since the IG FAQ says you can't Jink from a hydra's fire, I assume it would be 2+ if in terrain or 5+ in the open, regardless of speed.

@Jayne: I disagree as well. I calculated the number of points per pulse-fire hit for the classic warfish some years ago, and it's almost as good as fire warriors at long range. What the heck, I'll reproduce it here. Fire warriors are BS 3 and 10 points each, so that's 20 points per hit. The warfish I usually run is 120 points, 7 shots, and BS 4. The 7 shots, on average will produce 4 2/3 hits. Divide that into 120 points, and you get 25.7 points. About a 25% difference in efficiency, and yes the fire warriors can double their firepower at close range, but they're also MUCH easier to kill and not as mobile. And I think coming close to the damage per point of fire warriors is pretty good for a vehicle whose primary purpose isn't damage-dealing in the first place!
Cured of what I'm suffering from, but suffering from the cure.

Chicop76

I know this is old, but I think this WTF is really worth putting here. It's from the new daemon codex :facepalm001:. I would say due to this power it may cause people to play more daemons. What's worst is that with allies it's super bad/ good.

The WTF in question is Doomstone. It's rather cheap and most HQ choices can take this as an option. I would say the designers was smart enough to limit any character to 1 exaulted power. However stick this on a herald :shifty: and Grimore on another :shifty: and throw them in a squad of beast of nurgle that have t5 with 4 wounds. Stick them in +4 cover save which would make them +2 cover save with the whole unit having a +3 invulnerable save. After all that you use your doomstone.

Before combat all enemy non daemons have to make a leadership test. Let's say this is turn one and you have like 12 units on the board. Let's for argument sake say they are leadership 10. On average 2 units fail which means they are now for the rest of the game are leadership 5 in the middle of the first turn. Your or the enemy turn comes up one of your squads probably fail leadership, while the two leadership 5 models will have to make leadership test. If they fail again they will be knocked down to 0 and die. In one turn without shooting a single shot you just killed 2 units :'(. Fearless doesn't stop this at all since it is a leadership check and not a morale check. As the game goes on Doom for it's really cheap cost can wipe out any army unless they are heavy mech.

Now that you understand Doom daemons can take guard allies. Mainly the psyker battle squad which can lower leadership to 2. By doing so let's say I do this to 10 wraithguard. When Doom comes around they have to make a leadership test on 2 or die :pie:. :facepalm001:

People was complaing about those flamers. I think this is just as bad.

BigToof

I've noticed that 2+ cover save really isn't all that anymore since the Helldrake became the bees knees.  Plus also now that swooping MCs can ignore cover with their Vector strikes really makes them a powerful package.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Chicop76

Want to correct myself and say Doom Stone works on Characters and MC's only in combat. However said tactic still works. Need a MC dead lower leadership to two and assault with doom.