News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Codex: Space Marine Up for Pre-Order!

Started by Begel Dverl, August 03, 2013, 04:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

My complaint about Grav-weapons, is the fact they are not a game standard weapon type. Its currently a one-off Imperial Codex exclusive.

Eldar and their dark kin would have far greater understanding of such tech. Tau have practical applications in place (vehicles?), so would easily be able to weaponize it. Necrons would have mastered the Technology eons ago. Tyranids would have some sort of Psychic equivalent. Orks are just Orks, and would just make the tech if they thought it would make killing stuff more fun/effective. Chaos Deamons again would have some sort of Psychic equivalent.

Imperial understanding of Grav-tech seems limited to vehicular applications (Land Speeders), and IIRC they're not really known for inovation in pre-defined fluff, so would not instantly think to weaponize it.

So why is it not a game-standard?

I am ignoring Forge World books for this, as I have never had much contact with facing/playing AI rules/units.

salamut2202

Okay, they look more like harnesses then spacemarines is spacemarines so far....
BIG IMAGES

Source http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/september-white-dwarf-cover-and-old.html

So, now I'll just stand by what I said about superfluous kits, lest these replace devastators.

Railgun Convention

Those pictures look like terminators, but geared for moving with heavy weaponry rather than protection. So sort of glass cannon terminators, as much as anything is made of glass in an Astartes armoury. Could work.
So how many crashes have I survived now?

The Man They Call Jayne

But the question is WHY? Other than money grabbing, why are they needed? Why are regular devastators simply not enough?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

salamut2202

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on August 05, 2013, 11:46:58 PM
But the question is WHY? Other than money grabbing, why are they needed? Why are regular devastators simply not enough?
This! THIS! Oh, my feelings are known to another!

Deraj

Because it's cool to have new things. Some aren't great, but some are pretty cool. I'd rather not be playing warhammer with an army of white plastic beakies and MK 1 tanks, moving forward and getting more choices is always a good thing. Even if those choices aren't great. No one is going to hold a gun to your head and make you include them in your army....

salamut2202

Sure, but there is a hellavalota difference between updating models for aesthetic reasons and new things for new things sake. I mean if they replace devastators then it's all good, but if it's a Storm Talon while the Land Speeder exists then...

Up yours Pillock!

Thantos

Top left of the picture says Devastator?
Looks like to me, that devastator marines are just getting an upgrade, back towards the old 2nd edition style where their weapons were all shoulder mounted. Looks great IMO as the devastator marines were probably the most dated of the marine plastics. Although i wonder what all those new armor plates will do to the rules... please no 2+ save.

Kind of feel sorry for the marine with neck mounted missiles, if he loses his helmet. . . missiles tend to have a bit of fiery backwash when launching  :-X

Cammerz

Anyone else notice that the top-left devastator is dual-wielding assault cannons. That does look pretty badass but I'm not sure such a model should exist in a regular infantry unit.

Narric

I'm suddenly imagine people playing agry marines as a legit chapter. I'm sure there is a character/option for a marine dual-weilding Assault Cannons.

DEF Knight

just wait until they run out of founding Chapters to release, then comes the official Angry Marines PDF update.

Then you will know that GW has reached rock bottom. But in that act, having dredged up what should not, can not, be from the bowels of the Hate Machine, GW will become so much more. It will be a new beginning; an apotheosis. GW will reach nirvana, the ultimate culmination of years of increasingly capitalist toil. They will become the ultimate parody of themselves, yet the ultimate embodiment of fandom in ascent. The true face of bald, consumerist greed matched with the true success of art, the very quintessence of the creative endeavour made manifest. It will be both beauteous, and horrific. It will be heretical, yet divine. Exultant but hateful. GW will become all, and it will become nothing. And then?

And then, we shall see... and probably get a few more marine releases, cause why not?

salamut2202

Latest from BoLS

RULES/BOOKS
- Codex: Space Marines with a very nice picture of badass looking Space Marine (probably best C:SM cover so far)
- confirmed the 7 limited versions
- none showed in WD, all mentioned obviously as mail-order only
- Apocalypse Warzone:Damnos will also be released (unsure if it's digital only or not) – Damnos (see the BL book "Fall of Damnos" – basicly Necrons vs. Ultramarines)

NEW PLASTIC KITS
Space Marine Captain & Space Marine Librarian (2 separate clam-packs)
- not to confuse with multi-part customisable Space Marines Commander set which should stay around
- those are like Cadre Fireblade, Aspiring Champion etc... 1 pose, plastic
- Captain has Cato Sicarius-like helmet and lots of bling, has a very similar pose to Captain from AOBR, Power Sword and Combi-Grav
- Librarian has beard (a lot of SM beards + bald heads in this release) and a skull-cap thingy wihich makes him look a bit like... Merlin
- Librarian also has a power staff (or whatever you call that) held horizontally, and one ugly cherub-like servitor cupid (creepy stuff)

Reclusiam Command Squad
- contains the mentioned SM Command Squad (don't see any changes here), a plastic Chaplain and... Razorback – all for 55£
- this definetly isn't the prettiest Chaplain model out there but it has some nice bitz, nice big skully Crozius and 2 heads – one bald with Kano-like face implant and the other is a skull helmet (looks a bit iffy)
- he also has purity seals with massive ribbons/parchments blown by the wind

Sternguard Veterans
- all the best elements fromt heir old metal versions, long loincloths, tons of bling, ornaments on helmets and armor, seems to have lot of bitz
- finally we get plastic versions of combi-weapons, all seem to be here including the new Combi-Grav
- nice new plastic Heavy Flamer and Heavy Bolter (version with drum-mag)
- badass heads and poses (yap, another bald head with beard)
- sergeant has a "Roman-mohawk" on his helmet (not the Sicarius one, other way around)
- 5 models in box

Vanguard Veterans
- slightly less bling then their on-foot veteran brothers
- nice ornaments on chainswords and power sword (relic/master-crafted versions?)
- mohawk head for sarge (like Lord Executioner, perhaps it's a trend for jump-packers?)
- some nice aquila markings on jump packs
- awesome power-sword / relic blade
- 5 models in box

(NEW) Tactical Squad
- 10 models, price increased slightly
- not many changes here, will nicely mix with bits from old kit
- major addition is more head variants and new Grav-Gun and Grav-Pistol
- some new ornaments on backpacks and shoulder pads (not all, just few bits to make some difference among marines)
- interesting bits: Auspex is back! (but DA heralded that already), set of bolter/arms during reload (looks cool), badass Combi-Flamer, nice new (smaller) Power Fist

Stalker / Hunter
- the rumored dual-kit AA tank
- lots of new parts, side armor is massive and has some kind of pistons that seem to be pinning it to the ground
- front plate is also different from other vehicles on Rhino-chassis: Stalker / Hunter has one that looks a bit Heresy-era with a "bumper" that looks similarly to the one Landspeeder has (that belt-of-cubes bumper thing)

- Stalker is the one with dual 3-barrel autocannon-like guns, it also has a nice radar dish, really badass look
- it's described as rapid-firing AA (guess it's SM version of IG Hydra)
- now here's big thing: it's not twin-link! those are TWO SEPARATE guns that are mentioned to be able to shoot at TWO SEPARATE targets

- Hunter is the one that looks like that vintage SM Hunter tank – one massive AA turret barrel
- shoots "Skyspear Rockets" but no details on special rules here

Centurion Devastator Squad / Centurion Assault Squad
- the "Big Suits" everyone is talking about, apparently they are this release's big spotlight
- Devastators are Heavy Support (duh!) and Assaults are... Fast Attack (what did you expect?)
- come in plastic kits, 3 models per box
- they really look like if the exoskelton is worn ON the Power Armour – their heads look super tiny
- they all seem to have same weapon in each hand and something mounted on the chest
- the Devastator options displayed contained Lascannons and Heavy Bolters
- the Assault options were Breaching Drills (like that arm FW's Siege Dread has) with Stormbolters(?) attached, no other arm option shown
- the "chest weapon" apparently gave us choice of : frag lanuchers, mini-hurricane bolter (?!) and some rockets (chest mounted Typhoon ML?)

BTW, the spacemarine inside a spacemarine - I offically hate them now

New Tank

Thantos

Quote from: salamut2202 on August 08, 2013, 06:49:57 AM
BTW, the spacemarine inside a spacemarine - I offically hate them now

:shifty: Groxshit! Why have 18 inches of armor all over your body and a bare head? Looks like Warmachine. Im going to pretend it doesn't exist .. la la la la la LA!

Reclusiam command squad sounds good, i need one of them :D And im sure they will do a nice job on the vanguard vets.

Wargamer

In the Grim Darkness of the Far Future there is only increasingly really. Fucking. STUPID design choices.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Narric

A person on DA re-designed Terminators to look like that.

Spoiler
Spoiler

And these designs are from early January this year :P