News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Narric's Miniature Modelling & Painting log

Started by Narric, May 17, 2013, 04:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Going smaller now. Its a Fighter!!

Pictures
ISO
Front and Back
Sides
Top and Bottom

Railgun Convention

Shiny fighter.

The ship currently has a very defined front and rear. My suggestion was basically move the segments at the rear towards the middle. So you have a knot-in-a-rope effect.
So how many crashes have I survived now?

Narric

So something like this?:

Spoiler

The engine in the centre, with Weapons to the side, and "control/bridge" to the front?

Railgun Convention

Something like that. Where most of the bulk of the ship is in the centre. In this case, shift the wings back a bit so they stick out the same distance on both sides, and that's about what I was going for.
So how many crashes have I survived now?

Narric

Is it bad I'm thinking up different factions to explain different styles of ship design? :P
So far I have the "Corporate Fleet," the "Traders Alliance," and the "Planetary Coalition Space Force"

I've also been trying a more centralized ship design to my next Frigate:
Spoiler

Narric

Threw together some of my ships to give a sense of scale.

Spoiler

That little dot is the Bomber (not yet shown here) and has had to be scaled down to x0.5 its orignal size in order to be close to here small I'd imagine it would be to the Frigate and Dreadnought.

I'm thinking I should try to re-create a Imperial Frigate/Dreadnought to aid the scale comparison.

OK, I'm trying to figure out if these craft are even realistic :P I'm using the Frigate to begin with.

It is (this is very aproximate to an undefined scale):
83m tall, by 353m long, by 151m wide.

Assume half that multiplied together is the volume (~2.2x106 m3) and assuming Steel is the majority of its mass it is 17x109kg

Do these numbers sound even remotely real?
(just googled, and apparently it shorter than the Great Pyramid of Giza), and in length it is shorter than the Eiffel tower is tall.)

Narric

Unfortunately, I havne't been doing much for "Trade Routes." I've been model painting instead :P

Here are the models before primer:
Spoiler

I was kinda messing around with the first layer of colour to the armour. I tried Blue mixed with pearlescent white, water down blue, and grey as the first layer.
Spoiler

I continued on a bit, discovering that the watered down blue paint made great wash. The armour was painted over with blue-grey paint, washed, and then a final layer of grey paint.
The cloaks have also been painted, but I forgot to snap a pic of them :P
Spoiler
The skin was muddy brown at first, and then had a wash of orange.

I think they look good, however its definately highlighting my poor choice of paints. Note to all beginner painters, don't buy acrylic or gloss paints. Always go enamal and/or matt paints.

The models are Anvil Industries Black Ops Recon team. They're one-piece models, save for one dude who has alt head options. Pretty damn good price for the five of them.

Fhanados

Looking good! I've found Anvil Industries to be good quality as well, although I'm pretty suprised those are 1-piece models. I considered buying some of these guys but wasn't sure if they're too bulky to pass as scouts with sniper rifles. What are your thoughts?

Narric

Quote from: Fhanados on September 25, 2013, 02:25:41 AM
Looking good! I've found Anvil Industries to be good quality as well, although I'm pretty suprised those are 1-piece models. I considered buying some of these guys but wasn't sure if they're too bulky to pass as scouts with sniper rifles. What are your thoughts?
A chap who reviewed them (not me) Stated he was going to use them as Pre-heresy Wolf Scouts. Personally, I'd just use them as scouts anyway. Considering you're not going to be able to use these models in a GW store, most Game Groups are relaxed enough to allow such proxies. The "Spotter" technically does have a sniper Rifle. Its just a smaller rifle. He is the one intended to be Sergeant, but I prefer the guy standing and holding his gun in a relaxed pose.

Got my first squad of A.R.C. Troopers today. These will be standing in as one of my two Command Squads.
Spoiler
In order of pictures:

I like the Ion Rifle, because playing them as Plasma Guns, it actually makes sense that the dude would die when the weapon "Gets Hot!" as the powerpack is unavoidably attached to his back.

The Firestorm Carbines look awesome in person. They could easily be used as smaller variants of Storm Bolters. You get extra ammo canistars with them as well ^_^

These guys wll have to wait a little while, until I can get a new spray of primer. I've only got Skull White right now.

Narric

Finally took some time out to snap a couple pictures.

These are some wip work of the "Centurian Weapons Defense Platform" AKA the "IG Centurian Model" :P

I've tried sorting out the edges of the Cock-pit, and have also started on the arms and back.

I'm kinda stuck for ideas of how to do the weapons. I'm thinking of stcking to my first image for the CWDP with Lacannon and Missile Launcher weapons. One part of my idea is to have the arms/weapons interchangable, with the power/ammo cases attached to the square "exhuats" that are currently on the back of the model.

What other weapons should I consider for this model?

Narric

I do still do hobby stuff ya know. ^_^

This is a nice little squad of Exo-lords I've slowly worked on. For the most part, I've re-used parts from my first purchase from Anvil Industry, becuase i have this terrible habit of breaking models apart if I don't like the look of them. Which can lead to a lot of broken and unusable bitz, even if I was an Ork/Orc player.

I decided I really liked the idea of non-symetrical Shoulder Pads. I guess its that whole "EXTREME ARMOUR!!" aesthetic(?). Nontheless, I think it looks cool. In my mind, it also allows for greater movement of the trigger arm, for actions such as throwing grenades, whilst still giving protection to the left side which would be pointing to the enemy.

The squad is also partially influenced by my recent games of 6th ed Kill Team. These guys are for covert operations, hence the Black Widow Silenced Carbines.

The Torsos, Legs and Spartan Shoulder Pads are from my first Exo-lord purchase, which you can see the squad I made here. Looking back and comparing the parts from then to now, I can see the changes Joel & Co have made.

As you may notice, there are in fact a few pieces that aren't Anvil. these are mostly leftover pieces from my old Warhammer 40k Bitz Box. They all mostly have Scout Heads from the Scout Bike and Space Wolf Grey Hunters(?) box sets. The sword for the "Sergeant" is and old Khorne Berzerker "Ceremonial Blade" which I thought looked cool as an ornate by effective combat weapon and badge of rank.

Yes, there is alot of messy green-stuff fur. I'm still fairly new to green stuff, despite having used it for a large number of models over the years. I just never experimented with it. With these guys I also tried for a Rifle holster, and belts. In some places, I've had to use cured GS to fill gaps, which is often much easier than using fresh stuff. I guess it helps to keep that scrap.

When the weather here in England shows signs of warming up, I'll be basecoating these chaps, and painting them to match my BLACK OPS Sniper Recon Team. This along with weapon choices should give them an image of unity.

In the works, i have a commander, who is my first real attempt at interchangable arms for different weapon options. So far, I have a Power Axe, "Bolt Pistol" and Firestorm Carbine option for the right arm, whilst the left currently only holds a severed head. Lovely ^_^

Thanks for reading, and enjoy the pictures.

Narric

Narric

This is kind of a thing I've wanted top do since long ago, when I first started 40k.

Image makes it look ugly, and I'm going to be honest, it is pretty ugly :P

Hopefully though, with some Layers of Plasticard for detail, and to hide all they duct-tape, I'll have something usable

This is based on a very old PDF doc which has been sitting in my PC for a long time. As I fanlly have the materials, I figured I might as well try it once.

If there is enough interest, I'll post up a copy of the file for others to Download. Just don't tell you-=know-who where you got it from ;)

Thats all folks, thanks for Reading

Narric

Thantos

QuoteJust don't tell you-=know-who where you got it from
VOLDERMORT?!  :o

I think the centurian platform looks very promising, any progress with that? Some nice modelling going on :D

Narric

Quote from: Thantos on January 12, 2014, 11:03:30 AM
I think the centurian platform looks very promising, any progress with that? Some nice modelling going on :D
I can't decide if I should do humanoid armaturs, or just to the weapon systems seperated away from the Cockpit by struts. I don't think I'll use the back-piece either way, as it just looks daft now.

Narric

Allow me to introduce two Commanders, literally in the making......

The Butcher
Spoiler
I'll be honest, he not one for forward planning. Point him at a group of enemies and he'll probably turn them to red paste. Or at least I hope he can.
To be honest I wasn't planning on making him anytime soon, especially not this style. The Warriors of Chaos "Warriors" back piece came in my order from Bitz Box, and I couldn't remember why I kept it. Thankfully I had enough scraps and parts lying around to make another model :P
Made loosely following the guide for making Pre-heresy Space Wolves, found here.
The Axe is actually a longer (and left handed) variant of the Axe Anvil sells. Took a bit of pinning, but I got it to work. It feels better now it is longer, and I definately feel a sense of pride knowing I got the pinning right on such narrow resin.

The Strategist
Spoiler
OK, maybe not the most awe inspring name, but it comes from the fact that he is my first ernest attempt at a magnetized mini. This means that I can slowly add more options, so I can use the same figure for numerous games and not have to do too much conversion work to achieve different wargear loadouts.
It has been a learning experience, and I know I need a new Pin Vice set because of this project. I seem to have lost one of the fasteners, meaning that most Drill Bits between 1mm and 2.5mm are either too big or too small for my Pin Vice to work correctly.
Current wargear options are: Bolt Pistol, Firestorm Carbine, Power Axe for the right arm, with a Chainsword, and Trophy arm for the left.
In additon, he is one of my Commander characters for my Grey Lords army.