News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

New Eldar/Tau vs Necrons 1850 - 3 Wraithknights/1 Riptide

Started by Arguleon-veq, June 15, 2013, 11:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

Quick Pic recap of a game I played today against Crons, I was using Eldar with Tau. I just wanted to try a fun monster mash army with 3 wraithknights and a riptide. The riptide and broadsides had skyfire.

We were playing the Relic which was just to the right of the central rocks.

I went first and downed a few wraiths,  my standard wraithknight bagged a barge.

The Necrons managed very little besides to advance.

I fall away from the brunt of the advance whilst blasting a few more wraiths and my standard wraithknight gets another barge.

A Flyer arrives and some of the wraiths get a charge on one of my sunknight.

I start making a move for linebreaker/the relic, the wraithknight gets a 3rd barge in 3 turns.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Arguleon-veq

The rest of the wraiths and the lord get in on my sunknight and annoyingly that one scythe panics my LD10 broadsides by killing my drones!

My second sunknight sits on the relic for denial, the bikes get into linebreaker positions and I shoot down that pesky scythe as my broadsides rally. My other sunknight dies in combat though.

He gets the rest of his reserves whilst the wraiths now free from combat charge my second sunknight to try and clear that relic, the helldrake alone gets both linebreaking bike units thanks to vector strike and its flamer whilst the scythes only manage 1 bike kill.

The standard wraithknight charges in to support my sunknight whilst my broadsides and riptide down the other two scythes.

My other bikes that had got into line breaker get killed by necron warriors and my last unit of them is killed by the helldrake.

If it ends here I win thanks to first blood.....

The game goes on.

My riptide charges the cultists with sorc to hold them up but is instant killed by the sorcerers power axe, I also lose my sunknight in combat.

The helldrake vector strikes my broadsides with ethereal and farseer, thanks to vector strike being random one hit lands on the ethereal, instant killing him and netting him a VP.

It does go to another turn but I kill off the cultists, making the sorcerer run away, with my broadsides. He kills my standard wraithknight in his final turn but has nothing close enough to bag linebreaker and cant take the relic.

Result: 1-1 Draw.

Post Game Thoughts: It started really well for me but it got away from me as the game went on, a turn 5 end would have given me the win but i was on the back foot in the end, mainly thanks to that helldrake getting a nice random hit on the ethereal and me starting to run out of units. I was worried about the standard wraithknight being poor but he was amazing, getting 3 barges and about 4 wraiths. It was an ask for the sunknights to kill much though as their suncannons cant hurt his flyers or AV13 and arent too good against 3+ Invun Saves, I think they will outperform the standard wraithknight in usual games.

The list was very fun to use and didnt do too badly.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chicop76

Arguleon-veq

How do I like the Sunknight?

I dont think its too bad, despite the 300 points it costs, especially when you have more than one on the table.

The shield is a massive boost, especially in combat, giving it a great chance to blind enemy units. Plus despite people complaining that it doesnt do enough for it points you are almost getting 3 twin linked plasma cannons and a multilaser. If you compare it to the Leman Russ with 5 plasmacannon shots and a heavy bolter, its damage output is about the same as that thanks to the Laser Lock rule. I think the Sunknight overall is probably more durable thanks to the fact it cant be killed in 1 shot, is more mobile and much safer in combat and then you have combat ability on top.

Sniper Rifles and Poison stop them being really competative but against armies without lots of either, they can work well.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33