News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Which of these army concepts do you think is coolest for Guard?

Started by Stewie Griffin, May 10, 2012, 09:08:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stewie Griffin

As title:

Theme 1) - Air Cavalry/Paras - elite troops, special weapon spam in vets & CCSs, valks/vendettas, fast and mobile, although a bit of a glass cannon and easy to lose with if you don't know what you're doing.

Theme 2) - Attrition WW1 style - lots of infantry, artillery, maaaybe a few tanks, but on the whole the idea is to simply wear the enemy down with superior fire-power and then possibly finish them off with a bayonet charge.

Thems the themes :) - Which do you think is cooler/better?

Sorck

Air based armies can be fun to use. The mobility is great, the firepower from veterans is brilliant and you get a lot of firepower from your Valkyrie/Vendetta transports. The sheer number of large blast templates such an army can fire is shocking - 2 rocket pods per valk. Then add in some Vulture from IA8 and you have even more. :D

Attrition isn't as fun to some extent as everything is samey. Plus all your lasguns firing at a SM squad won't do a whole lot of damage.

I personally use a 65 man core in my army boosted by Leman Russes and/or Vendettas and/or hellhounds. Sometimes the manticore even sees some use. Tank based attrition essentially. :P

Vyper

To be hinest, a ton of arty is far more appealing to me. A large combined squad and FRFSRF can spam alot to death and can also act as a massive wound bubble, to shield other things.
3 Arty squadron can also be very painful, whether your going for griffons to keep things moving, or Medusas to wreck tanks.

Air cav is still very cool though and when pulled off effectivly can be incredibly nasty to face.

Tactical Genius

Quote from: Vyper on May 11, 2012, 12:52:55 PM
To be hinest, a ton of arty is far more appealing to me. A large combined squad and FRFSRF can spam alot to death and can also act as a massive wound bubble, to shield other things.
3 Arty squadron can also be very painful, whether your going for griffons to keep things moving, or Medusas to wreck tanks.

Air cav is still very cool though and when pulled off effectivly can be incredibly nasty to face.

i have to agree here. i dont leave home without a shed load of artillery. call me old fashioned but i love my three basalisks, all my guard lists have them. i also find the manticore is a very usefull and ejouable tool and makes light work of most infantry.

on the air cav front this can be great fun using paratrropers esentialy however if you draw from history you will see it is unwise to rely on paras alone to do the job. they need support. i find the most enjoyable tactic for me is blitzkrieg. you have a para element in valks or vendettas to outflank right into thier lines and support them with artillery and mechaniaed infantry. not forgetting the tanks. this is a very strong formation that works very well and is great fun to play and challenging to play against.
"OI, Close the skylight"
Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on Today at 08:10:48 PM
His fail is always spelling, and grammer. Verbally he has a fine grip of the queens English, but ask him to write it down and hes like Iron Man in a magnet factory.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Air cav is by far the coolest concept for Guard. The trouble is that Vendettas are so horribly, horribly broken that you will get a lot of complaining about your list unless you do a lot of tournament gaming, and even then I'd prepare to face some pointing out of how absurd they are. Unfortunately I don't know off the top of my head if there's a viable alternative for Vendettas, I don't know if the Valkyrie or anything is codex.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Cammerz

Quote from: Journeyman on May 24, 2012, 10:57:55 PM
Air cav is by far the coolest concept for Guard. The trouble is that Vendettas are so horribly, horribly broken that you will get a lot of complaining about your list unless you do a lot of tournament gaming, and even then I'd prepare to face some pointing out of how absurd they are. Unfortunately I don't know off the top of my head if there's a viable alternative for Vendettas, I don't know if the Valkyrie or anything is codex.

Yeah the Valkyrie is in the codex, so if you don't want people to hate your Air Cav list its probably the better option. You just want to get some anti-tank in other areas (melta vets and the like) to make up for the lack of lascannons.

Saulus

I love my AirCav list. The Vendetta haters are out there, but I also have a 1:1 mix of Vendettas to Valks, I did not construct the list to be a super powerful list (although even with 2 vendettas we're getting there). Combined with stormtroopers and maybe some camo elites camping out somewhere you've got a mutable mobile army that is quite fun to play.

I personally still like the Valk anyways, dropping a vet squad out with plasmas while strafing with 2x HB and multilaser on a razorback to blow it up....very cinematic ;)
No fear. No mercy. No matter what.

clix

Im currently making an Vietnam aircav themed army.  It will be super fun to play. Im waitin' till i can get enough money to buy 2 more vendettas. Then comes a manticore.  :P

clix
W/D/L
Tau-                 3 /2/1
Salamanders-   1/0/1
Tyranids-          0/0/0