News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

The Eldar Archives: Craftworld Eldar vs Chaos! (Part 2)

Started by BigToof, October 27, 2018, 10:51:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

-------------------------------------------------
Craftworld Eldar vs Chaos in "Foul Friendship"
-------------------------------------------------

Hi All,
I decided to get in one more Eldar rep before the mighty onslaught of Tau hits us all.
In this one, I've got a decent match with my Chaos opponent returning.
But this time, he's clearly done some work with his list and besides the normal trickery of the Alpha Legion, he's brought Nurgle!
This was a tough, but fun fight.
Hope you all enjoy the rep!

Best,
-BT

P.S.  Hope you all enjoy the fluff!

---------------------------------------------------------

----------------
The Lists
----------------

Eldar Craftworlds (1500): 62 Infantry, 2 Vehicle; 7 CPs
Alatoic Craftworlds Battalion
-Farseer (Doom, Guide)
-Spiritseer (Protect/Jinx)
-Rangersx5
-Rangersx5
-Rangersx5
-Guardiansx19
-Dark Reapersx4 w/Exarch w/Tempest Launcher
-Dark Reapersx4 w/Exarch w/Tempest Launcher
-Wave Serpent w/Shuriken Cannon, Twin-SCannon
-Wave Serpent w/Shuriken Cannon, Twin-SCannon
Saim-Hann Outriders
-Autarch Skyrunner w/Laser Lance, Reaper Launcher, Banshee Mask, Shimmerplume
-Warlock Skyrunner w/Singing Spear (Quicken/Restrain)
-Shining Spearsx6 w/Exarch w/Star Lance
-Swooping Hawksx5 w/Exarch w/Hawk's Talon
-Swooping Hawksx5 w/Exarch w/Hawk's Talon

Mixed Chaos 1500: 73 Infantry, 2 MCs, 2 Vehicles; 6 CPs
Alpha Legion Battalion
-Daemon Prince w/Wings, Malefic talons, MofSlaanesh (Warptime)
-Sorcerer w/Force Sword (Death Hex, Warptime)
-Berzerkersx16 w/Chainswords and Chainaxes, Champion w/Claw
-Cultistsx12 w/ Autoguns, Mark of Slaanesh
-Obliteratorsx3 w/Mark of Slaanesh
Death Guard Patrol
-Daemon Prince w/Talons, MoNurgle, Wings, Supperating Plate, Miasma
-Poxwalkersx14
-Nurglingsx3
-Plagueburst Crawler
-Plagueburst Crawler

-------------------------------------------------------------

Warlord:
Autarch: Mark of the Incomparable Hunter (can target Characters)
Nurgle Prince: Rotten Constitution (Reduce damage by 1)

Mission: Secure and Control (Single Objective each)
Setup: Dawn of War

--------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------
Chapter 2: A Foul Fellowship
------------------------------

The Warp is an eerie dimension, thought made flesh and stone with the rampant tendency to throw things like time and space around like lost pennies in a washer.  Still, being thrown together with a less-than-able comrade can make the entire experience feel much like a prison.  Or so it seemed to the smaller of the Chaos-blessed duo who stood in the courtyard of a purple-pink palace that eerily floated through the void.  Things had been quiet until a screeching voice boomed through the air.

"HEY MAL, MAL!  ARE YOU STILL IN A FUNK ABOUT THE LAST BATTLE?"

Sorcerer Malfans looked up at the enormous Daemon Prince next to him and said in a sarcastic tone, "Of course not, Duumrider, I enjoy being shamed in the eyes of our Dark Prince and then losing almost all of our force."

The flame-headed Prince nodded and replied, "YEAH, THAT'S GOOD MAL.   THAT'S GOOD.  HEY, CHEER UP!  SO WE LOST TO SOME ORKS, BIG DEAL.  I MEAN IT'S NOT LIKE THEY WERE NECRONS.  OR TAU.  I MEAN THEN WE'D REALLY LOSE CRED WITH THE BIG S, YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN?  ANYWAY, I DID A BIG HIT OF WARPDUST AND YOU KNOW, I HAD AN IDEA."

Malefens paused in mid-stride.  Ideas were dangerous things when it came to Duumrider.

"What... kind of idea?"

Duumrider nodded vigorously, "YEAH, I REALIZED THAT HEY, WE LOST SOME NOISE MARINES.  YOU KNOW.  BASICALLY ALL OF THEM.  NO BIGGIE.  WE JUST NEED MORE GUNS.  AND I ASKED AROUND AND FOUND US THE BEST GUNS SO FAR."

"If you are speaking of the Obliterator cult, we have a few that..."

"MAL, MAL BABY, NO.  OBLITS ARE SO LAST YEAR.  I'M TALKING ABOUT THE EPIC-NESS THAT ONLY PRIMARCH-TYPE FINGERS CAN MAKE.  THE BEST TANK AROUND, MAN!"

Malefans paused.  That did not sound like Slaanesh-type units.

"What... do you..."

And then the smell hit him.

An odor with palpable stench crept through the air enough to make the Sorcerer gag.  The architecture around them started to curl as a green-coloured portal opened and disgorged a massive Winged form.  It was vaguely man-shaped with a distended abdomen leaking with fluids and bile and a mis-shapen head that rolled about under an ill-fitting and pitted helmet.

Malefans gagged.  A minion of Nurgle?  Here?  He was about to give orders to Duumrider, then saw the pyre-faced Daemon stride towards the newcomer hands raised.  The Slaaneshi Prince slapped the Nurgle-worshipper on the back in a gesture of friendship and Malefans suppressed a grimace as a chunk of rotten flesh rolled off and onto the once-pristine tile.

"B-MAN!  GLAD YOU COULD MAKE IT.  MAL, THIS IS B-MAN.  WE GO WAY BACK.  I MEAN, WAAAAY BACK.  LIKE MORTAL DAYS, YOU KNOW.  GRANTED WE WERE TRYING TO KILL EACH OTHER A LOT OF THAT TIME, BUT YOU KNOW, WATER UNDER THE BRIDGE."

The Sorcerer thought for a moment.
"Are you suggesting that we ally ourselves with... Nurgle?"

Duumrider sighed, "MAL, MAL BAAABY.  LISTEN, WE GOT THOSE KHORNE-BOYS IN CAGES, WE ARE DIVERSIFYING.  YOU GOTTA THINK BIG PICTURE.  WHY GO SMALL WHEN YOU CAN GO BIG!  ALL THE CHAOS BOYS GETTING TOGETHER.  DOING OUR THING."

Malefans was about to reply when the Nurgle Prince held out a stained piece of paper.  Trying not to touch it too much, the Sorcerer gasped when he saw it.  It was... a contract.  A signed contract.  The fool had doomed them both.

"Do you have... any idea as to what you have agreed to?"

"OH YEAH, MAL, YOU GOTTA AIM UP.  AND WHO'S AT THE TOP RIGHT NOW?  ELDAR.  THOSE POINTY-SOULS ARE ALL BUT OURS NOW!  B-MAN'S GONNA GIVE US THE GUNS, AND WE SPLIT THE SOULS 50/50."

"And the consequences of failure?  It says that if our mission is not successful, we are bound to the service of the Great Lord of Decay."

"MAL, MAL.  WE AIN'T GONNA LOSE.  I'VE GOT THE PERFECT PIGEONS LINED UP.  GRANTED THEY'RE ALATOIC, BUT WHO ISN'T AT THIS POINT?  NEWBIE GENERAL, BOTH IN AND OUT OF FLUFF AND THEY DON'T EVEN HAVE A DOZEN DARK REAPERS OR THAT WEIRD CAT-LADY.  WE GOT THIS.  EASY MONEY, BABY."

Malefans sighed, "At least... you've given it some thought.  I will inform the minions.  I suppose we have an alliance then, Bulbous Gangrenosum."

The Nurgle-thing made a happy gurgling sound and a few greenish bubbles exuded out of the helmet.

Duumrider interjected, "YOU GOTTA FORGIVE B-MAN SOME, MAL.  BEFORE HE TURNED PRINCE, I KIND OF SHOT MOST OF HIS FACE OFF.  UNFRIENDLY FIRE, Y'KNOW.  SO HE ONLY TALKS IN GURGLISH.  YOU GET USED IT."

Before Malefans could respond, the two Princes turned towards each other and did a complex set of hand gestures that ended in a double fanny-bump and the Nurgle Prince departed through the still open portal.  At least the smell had the courtesy to leave with him.

Malefans hoped beyond hope that for once, a battle would go the way it was supposed to...

------------------------------------------------------------

"You realize this changes nothing between us."

Farseer Dunkas sipped his morning tea looking sternly across the table at the crimson-haired Autarch, Lady Lennara.  Lennara smiled at her once-husband, both of them in morning-robes.

Lennara smiled and replied, "You didn't seem to think so much last night, Dunkas.  I think you almost dehydrated both of us."

The Farseer curled a lip, "Don't be disgusting, Lennara.  Your drink clouded my mind and inhibitions.  It was folly to indulge and I beg Isha's forgiveness for my moral laxitude."

"I wouldn't call anything lax, Dunkas.  Just... out of practice."

Blushing, the Farseer changed the topic, "In any case, back to the topic at hand.  My Rangers have found rumours that your daughter..."

"Our daughter," corrected Lennara.

Dunkas paused and continued through partially-gritted teeth, "... Our... daughter... has been seen near a Mon-Keigh outpost.  A small force, nothing that we couldn't handle..."

Sighing at the dramatic pause, Lennara replied, "I'm sensing a 'but' to appear unbidden..."

The Farseer nodded and continued, "But, there is a complication.  The Forces of Chaos have intervened.  Worshippers of the Pestulent One and She Who Thirsts act together and they have driven off the Mon-Keigh.  We must secure this base if we are to conduct a search safely."

Lennara's lips curled in a familiar smirk, "Good, then we shall do so."

Dunkas frowned, gripping his mug tighter.
"Need I remind you the danger of falling into the gaze of She Who Thirsts?  It puts the souls of our charges in grave peril."

The Autarch nodded, "Indeed, Dunkas.  That is why we will not lose.  Now, let me begin preparing for battle... Unless you wish a second round of our own?"

Snorting, the Farseer stood up, hiding a flush on his face.  Lennara was brazen, but right.  Battle was coming, and much was at stake.  He only hoped that would not regret this perilous gamble.

-------------------------------------------

To Be Continued!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Setup
Well, this could get ugly.
In terms of overall board, we have a pretty symmetric setup with a large ruin that we agree is impassible in the center.  Craters to the side and trees in the corners with a central hill on either side.

I roll to start dropping in units first, and we end up with a pretty central setup on both sides. I do the usual setup with Wave Serpents (with Spiritseer and Farseer) in the center with Warlock and Autarch between them.  Webway portal holds the Spears and the Hawks.  Chaos makes a HUGE castle in the center with the Tanks in the middle with Nurgle Prince and Sorcerer next to them.  Poxwalkers surround them and the huge masses of Cultists around that.  Nurglings deploy now (hmmm...) getting close to the right flank.

I put down a unit of Rangers to the left, my opponent drops the Berzerkers to my left as close as possible.  I put the Rangers to the far left and right flank in cover and the Slaaneshi Prince goes behind the Nurglings.

We roll to see who goes first, and thankfully the Eldar win the roll.  The roll to seize fails and the game begins!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------
Turn 1: Eldar
----------------
"Well, that's just tacky."

Farseer Dunkas sighed and suppressed an eyeroll within his Grav-tank.  The forces of the Warp had been more numerous than he had thought.  A mammoth Daemon squatted on top of a hill with a horde of Mon-Keigh in various states of abomination rolled around it.  Surely even Lennara could realize the gravity of the situation.  Then, a tremor split the physical plane and two glowing portals opened, one disgorging a swath of gurgling, swearing Mon-Keigh weilding axes and the other producing a flame-headed Daemon, who bore the markings of She-Who-Thirsts.

Gasps of recognition ran through the Eldar around him, and Dunkas considered a tactical withdrawl, when a haughty laugh broke through the din.

"Good, good," said Lady Lennara, twirling her hair to one side, "And here I thought this was going to be boring.  Dunkas, it's time to take things seriously.  Let's show them how the Aeldari really fight."

------------------------------------------------------------

Well, my opponent laid it all out on the table with Berzerkers and Slaaneshi Prince within potential charging range.  He was (I think) banking on seizing, but failed.
So... it was time to get to work.  I pull both Psykers out of their tanks, which then move to the left.  The Warlock moves just within 18" of the Slaanesh Prince.  I then drop in the Hawks to the far left flank and the Guardian blob appears just left of the Berzerkers.

I hit the Berzerkers with everything and the kitchen sink in the psychic phase, dropping Doom and Jinx on them and Guide on the Guardians.  Restrain goes off on the Prince, so even with Warptime, he should have some issues.

Shooting then goes off, and I'm hella shocked when the Guardians drop the Berzerkers with a surprising amount of wounds (2 dozen+ with almost a dozen Rends?  yes, please!).  Wow, when people say that Guardians with psychic support are nasty, they aren't kidding.  The Hawks and Rangers massively pare down the Cultists on the left flank and the rest end up running.  I then get the first big surprise as my opponent pulls out a Strategem that makes all killed models (friendly AND enemy) act as extra Poxwalkers!  So...  in the end I made more zombies.  That's... not so great.  Shots also fall on the Sorcerer, who takes a mortal wound, flubs a few saves and ends up a hairsbreath from going down.

Oh and I shoot down ALMOST all of the Nurglings too (That's for messing up my screen!).

Picture Caption: Wow Guardians, just... wow.

--------------------
Turn 1: Chaos
--------------------

Malefans could only sigh when he saw the Berzerkers go down.  Again.  Khorne clearly favored blood and skulls, but it would be nice if he worked on discriminating exactly whose skulls would be adorning his throne.  The Aeldari were getting close and their firepower was surprising.  Still, as long as the Death Guard held up their end then things would be...

"MAL!  MAL!  I'VE BEEN NERFED!"

Malefans glanced down the field to see the flaming-skull laden Duumrider moving slowly, foul Xenos magic warping his wings.

"CAN'T GO... FASTER...  NEED... RED... BULL..."

The Sorcerer sighed in return.  Things were going to be complicated.

------------------------------------------------------

The Slaaneshi Prince hobbles forward a bit as the Nurglings seek cover.  The Cultists expand their screen a bit.  The Sorcerer takes cover between the tanks.
Oblits come down from... wherever and drop within 12" of the Serpent on my right flank.

Shooting starts with the Nurgle tank firing on my right Serpent, but I use Lightning Reflexes and with a -2 to hit, nothing happens.  The Oblits try their luck and even with the Slaaneshi strategem of firing TWICE, they only get one shot through.  Shooting is kind of bland otherwise with a few Hawks falling, but not much else.
The Prince tries to assault (it's a long run), and fails.

Picture Caption: Yeah, Eldar are pretty sturdy as long as you don't hit them.

-------------------
Turn 2: Eldar
-------------------

Time to clean up.  I drop out the Reapers and move the Serpents further left.
The Guardians move up to threaten the back objective.
I hit the Slaaneshi Prince with Doom and Jinx and the Guardians get Guide and Quicken to move into the face of the Poxwalkers.
Lennara and the Reapers mow apart the Slaaneshi Prince in a hail of shots and the rest of the shooting from the Guardians and the Tempest Launchers of the Reapers tear apart the Poxwalkers.  The Hawks add some damage to the front-most Cultists.

I then assault into the Cultists with the Guardians, who take a bit of damage from Overwatch, but thanks to their hatred/fear of all things Slaanesh, tear down basically all of the Cultists with only a few wounds in return.

Picture Caption: Wow, Guardians, that's still brutal.

--------------------
Turn 2: Chaos
--------------------

Chaos has decided that my Guardian blob must die, and move up the Big Cheese Nurgle Prince with the tanks moving around to get into flaming position.
Shooting tears apart most of the Guardians and the Prince assaults in, doing a ton of damage, and then my Guardians try to hit back, but it turns out that successful saves on their attacks can do mortal wounds back (!).  So... I end up losing almost all of the squad, who then dissapate with the morale check.

Picture Caption:  Ouch, that was rough.  You did good though, Basket Weavers.  You did good.

--------------------
Turn 3: Eldar
--------------------

It's time to kill the Prince.
I move the Reapers into position and Lennara to finish off the Oblits threatening my objective.  I pop the Spears out of the Webway to go hunt some tanks.  The Hawks come down from orbit near the right flank.
Lennara shoots the Nurglings out of existence over her shoulder and then tears apart one of the Oblits with more shooting.  Having hit the Nurgle Prince with the usual Doom and Jinx and a mighty hail of Reaper shots and Shuriken Cannon fire take him apart.  The Spears had moved up thanks to Quicken and assault one of the tanks, losing one of their number to the flamers (ouch those things hurt), but take it down after hitting it with Lance fire before charging in to finish the job.  They consolidate into the Sorcerer (and the objective) and also into the last tank!

Picture Caption: Wow, I mean... this is what people mean by getting "Eldar-ed."

----------------
Turn 3: Chaos
----------------

The tank pulls out of combat with the Spears, and the Sorcerer kills one Spear with Smite and Force Sword hits.  The Spears can't quite finish the job, leaving the Sorc on a single wound.

And with that, the Chaos player tips his king.

Picture Caption: Man, he stayed til the end though, good on your little Sorcerer, good on you.

--------------------------
Result: Eldar Victory
--------------------------

Post-Game Thoughts: OOF, this one was fast.  I didn't realize how brutal things were until models just started getting pulled off the table.  The Guardians were the stars of the early show, just wiping off the Berzerkers and then hosing down the Poxwalkers and their weight in Cultists.

Lennara, Dunkas and the Psykers did their usual amazing job, and I have to say that the combo of Doom and Jinx is just brutal.  With rending being a thing, the Eldar just have so many scary tools at their disposal.  The Reapers were also really instrumental at killing Princes, but even if they do get nerfed, I think I can find something to replace them as the Eldar just have so much flexibility and the ability to melt and penetrate screens at whim.  Even with having accidently made more zombies, it didn't seem to matter!

So... after this massacre, I might put the Eldar up for a bit to let things cool down as although they are fun to play, I think the Eldar aren't that fun to play AGAINST.  Especially as if you start rolling hot (or you know, above average with tactical play), you can leave your opponent in the dust as they just can't catch you.

Hope you all enjoyed the rep!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Farseer Dunkas surveyed yet again another battlefield.  His warriors were collecting the Spirit Stones of the fallen, and seeing to the purification of the fallen Chaos monstrosities.  Such a senseless waste of resources.

"So, Dunkas, was that a fun time or what?"

Dunkas wheeled on his heel to throw a glare at Autarch Lennara, who was still astride her Skyrunner, sweat dripping off her brow.

"I was a bit worried when those things dropped out of the Warp to our flank, but it was a good thing that I happened to seize the moment," continued the Lady haughtily, "Can't say that I do feel a twinge of pity for the poor Mon-Keigh, but that's what happens when you face your betters."

Growling, Dunkas replied, "I am so glad that you take pride in the loss of so many Eldar.  We are a dying race, Lennara.  I hope you have not forgotten that.  We should not be taking pride, nor joy in our task."

Rolling her eyes, Lennara responded, "Oh come now, Dunkas, stop being a stick-in-the-mud.  We've done a commendable job against a foul enemy of the Craftworlds.  Surely we deserve some..."

"Khaine's blood, you haven't changed, have you?"

The interuppting voice silenced the conversation between the two Craftworlders and both turned to see a lone, bedraggled figure emerging from the forest.  Clad in tatters, the once-Farseer Lorilune emerged with an attempt at pageantry.

Gasping, Lennara leapt off her Skyrunner and ran over to her daughter, shaking her with motherly concern.

"Oh, Lori, Lori, thank the Fates you're alright.  You are alright, aren't you?  Those Mon-Keigh didn't... No matter, we can fix that."

Lorilune sighed, "No, mother, the Imperials would rather cut their genitals off than stick them in me.  I'm fine."

Clicking her tongue, Lennara cut off her daughter, "You don't look fine.  You look like...  a Drukahri or something.  Let's get you cleaned up and you can tell us all about it."

Failing not to fall into a centuries-old rut, Lorilune felt herself retreading old roads long left and thankfully forgotten, "Us, Mother?  Who is 'us?'  Another of your suitors?  A blink-and-he's-gone boytoy?  Tell me, what kind of..."

An interrupting voice came between the two: "Lorilune."

The soft voice hit Lorilune like a thunderbolt.  A memory came unbidden, long forgotten deep in the depths of her most ancient of thoughts.  "F... Father?"

The Farseer nodded in recognition.  "Greetings young one.  It has been some time.  Now...  We have much to discuss."
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3