News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Tournament Report - Wolf/Guard at Warlords

Started by Arguleon-veq, September 25, 2012, 09:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

I had a big tournament at the weekend that I really wasn't very confident about, I had hardly played with the new edition and I just didn't have a viable army to take. So I just took a hodgepodge of what models I had/I could borrow and decided I would just try to have fun and not take it seriously. The same tournament last year was my worst ever finish so with taking an even worse list this year I wasnt going to be dissapointed with losses.

Here is what I had to take:

Andrew Southern - Space Wolves/Imperial Guard

[HQ1]Njal Storm caller  - 245
[HQ2]Rune Priest -  Chooser of the Slain, Melta Bombs - 115

[Troop1]10 Grey Hunters - 2 Plasma Guns, 1 Powerfist  - 185
[Troop2]10 Grey Hunters - 2 Plasma Guns, 1 Powerfist, 1 Wolf Standard - 195
[Troop3]10 Grey Hunters - 2 Melta - 155

[Transport1]Drop Pod for Troop3 - 35

[HS1]Vindicator - 115
[HS2]Vindicator - 115
[HS3]6 Long Fangs - 5 Missile Launchers - 140

[1300]

Allies;

[HQ3]Primaris Psyker - 70

[Troop4] Platoon Command Squad - 30

[Troop5]Infantry Squad - 50
[Troop6]Infantry Squad - 50

[FA1]Vendetta Gunship - Heavy Bolters - 140

[HS4]Leman Russ Demolisher - Hull Lascannon, Sponson Multi Meltas - 210

[550]

1850 Total

All that S10 AP2 was looking pretty good for me as I was expecting to be seeing LOADS of Paladins and Nob Bikes, then 2 weeks before the event, GW Nerfed them. I didnt have the time or money to change my list to take this into account and I figured it would be ok as a lot of people would still bring the Paladin and Nob Bike armies they were planning to. I was wrong lol.

I didnt see a single Paladin out of 52 players and only 1 Nob Bike army, which I didnt play.

Game 1
Vs Eldar/DE,
1 Obj Each,
Dawn:

Baron;
Eldrad;
Fuegan;
5 Pathfinders;
5 Warriors;
Bike Council;
3 Bikes;
3 Bikes;
3 Walkers; 2xScatter Laser
3 Walkers; 2xScatter Laser
3 Walkers; 2xShuricannon
Aegis Line with Quadgun;

How it Went:

Well, it was nice to see no flyers but I had no way at all of dealing with that bike council, especially with the baron out front if it got fortuned. I think I really needed first turn.

I didnt get it.

The bike council roll up most of my army. Im never going to get to his objective and Fuegan manning the quadgun destroys my Vendetta. I throw everything at the bike council and baron but even when fortune isnt working I still cant kill them. I do manage to blow away all his walkers so all I really have to worry about are the bikes but everything just bounces off his saves. To make matters worse my objective is booby trapped and keeps blowing up and I have guardsmen holding it. His allows him to re roll 1's for his pathfinders.

Eventually I am wiped out, mainly by the bike council but I do manage to kill that pesky baron in the end. His 2++ save being the key to the game in protecting the council once they were out of fortune range. Not a good start but it was a bad one for me and it was against the guy ranked 5th in the UK. Plus he was a nice guy to play against.

Game 2,
Vs Orks,
Relic,
Diagonal:

Warphead;
Warphead;
13 Lootas;
13 Lootas;
13 Lootas;
25 Shootas; Claw Nob
25 Shootas; Claw Nob
25 Shootas; Claw Nob
10 Grots;
10 Grots;
10 Grots;
Dakkajet; All the best upgrades

How it Went:

I figured Id be in for an easy game after losing so badly game 1, sadly this guy is ranked in the top 25 and had just come back from the ETC. I wasnt really worried about his boys as Wolves deal with those easily enough but he had some SERIOUS firepower with those Lootas and Jets. He would literally be able to delete units a turn.

I went first this time and dropped a squad out on his left flank, rapid firing bolters thinning a boy squad. Ordnance reduced it more to leave a warphead in the sights of my longfangs and 4 missile wounds resulted in a failed look out sir and a dead warphead. First blood to me. The rest of my shooting went into seriously thinning his boy squads down to size.

He pushed on at me but there was no chance he was getting to the relic first, his shooting did put a dent into one of my hunter units though.

Over the next turn or so I wiped out all of his orc boyz but couldnt really make a scratch on his lootas who were dug into cover. My Vendetta come on and helped thin the boys and I was on the relic but just couldnt move it without being blown away.

His Dakkajets arrived and along with the lootas just started to blast my army to pieces, his grots arriving from reserve and advancing menacingly through the ruins on my dwindling units around the relics. It started getting desperate with my blocking firing lanes from his lootas with my tanks, even giving up side armour and hoping for wrecked results just to help block LOS.

I still held the relic on turn 5 along with first blood and warlord. We rolled for it, the game continued.

I tried to thin out his grots to deny him the relic but I could only get rid of one unit with my dwindling firepower and I could no longer hold the relic as he had destroyed my troops and my warlord. So I reversed a vindicator over it to stop his grots taking it. Safely out of LOS and the grots unable to hurt me and with a demolisher ready to do the same next turn if it did somehow die the game was over, me winning thanks to my first blood and warlord points compared to him just getting my warlord.

Game 3,
Vs Marines,
Big Guns Never Tire,
Short Edge:

Libby;
10 Tacs; Loads of Meltas
Pod;
10 Tacs; Loads of Plasma
Pod;
10 Tacs; Missile, Plasma, Powersword
5 Scouts; Camo, Snipers, Telion
Vindicator;
10 Assault Marines; Melta Bomb, Powersword
5 Terminators; Asscannon
Stormtalon;
Stormtalon;
Aegis Line with Lascannon;

How it Went:

This is the kind of list my army could deal with, it did a lot of the things my army did but I think mine does it better. The guy was ranked top 50 though and had finished ahead of me with Nids at a tournament earlier this year.

I go first and luckily the objective my fangs deploy on is a skyfire nexus. My first turns shooting kills 9 assault marines which was pretty nice but no first blood.

He drops a pod deep in my lines behind my advancing wall of tanks. He combat squads hoping to take 2 out with his melta, combi melta and snapshotting multi melta. He does 2 hull points of damage to the vindicator and blows its lascannon off and immobalises a vindi. The rest of his shooting does little but again no first blood so now it should be mine.

My vendetta arrives and his icarus lascannon manned by telion takes an intercept shot at me, the one shot blows my vendetta out of the sky, giving him first blood...

I gun down the squads in my lines with massed las and boltguns whilst one vindi advanced and my demol took another objective. My pod squad who had dropped in my own lines too another, giving me 3 to his 2. This turn I blew away most of his terminators with my ordnance and a few of his tac squad holding one of his objectives.

His storm talons arrive and do a little damage but my fangs on their skyfire nexus make short work of them whilst my army continues to destroy his at range. He makes a desperate drop with his other pod squad to try and shoot my fangs off their objective but he doesnt and losses the squad for it. By the end of the game he only has telion and a pair of scouts left on 1 objective and his libby hiding behind some towers. So a big win for me.

X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Arguleon-veq

Game 4,
Vs Marines/Eldar,
5 Objectives,
Dawn:

Chaplain; Termie Armour
5 Termies; TH/SS
10 Tacs; Las/Plas
10 Tacs; Melta, Multi, Combi Melta
Rhino:
5 Pathfinders:
3 Walkers: 2xScatter
Land Raider Crusader: Multi Melta
Stormtalon:
Stormtalon;
Farseer; Jetbike, Guide, Doom
Aegis Line with Quadgun;

How it Went:

I was pretty concerned about the land raider and termies which he advanced down one flank with his rhino and farseer. One tac squad took up position behind his line and his pathfinders in some rocks.

I go first and drop my pod right next to his pathfinders, my opponent starts to complain that I didnt tell him I had them in my list, despite giving him my army list at the start of the game...
My shooting does little but does force his tacs and pathfinders to go to ground. My pot shots at his land raider do nothing.

His shooting also does little and I start to blow away his tac squad in turn 2 whilst my pod squad charges and kills his pathfinders, my vendetta doesnt arrive and my other guns again dont scratch that land raider. He continues his advance down my flank but his walkers and talons dont arrive from reserve only his 5 man combat squad [the other 5 are in the rhino].

In my turn 3 things swing heavily in my favour. I roll up with my demol now the land raider is in my lines, the demol cannon scatters off it but onto the rhino, destroying it and pinning the squad inside then the multi meltas on it blow up the land raider itself. My opponent starts to complain that I didnt tell him my demol has multi meltas, despite it being on my list [of which id given him a copy], despite them being clearly on the model and despite the fact I was measuring for the first two turns to see if they were in range. Then he says he didnt see me roll all my dice to kill his raider.

He says its ok and he believs I rolled what I said I did but that he isnt happy about me not saying I had multi meltas, which I did tell him. He starts to say  that I said I had 'hotshot lascannons' on it, whatever they are, and I was getting pretty frustrated at this point, I just tell him again that they are on the list of mine he has, on the model and id even told him.

He moans a bit more and then we carry on and I start to put a lot of bolt, plasma and frag missiles into those termies, reducing them to just 1 and the chaplain.

The game is pretty much over with the loss of the termies as I kill the rest and the chaplain next turn and kill his troops leaving me 4 objectives to his 0. His storm talons are pretty much all he has left and then it comes to Njals tempest rules and im not sure if the auto S8 and S9 hits can hit flyers, we ask the ref and he says they can, apparently they had done a tournament FAQ and it was in that, they had done one for some of the rules like this that could be seen either way even after the GW FAQ.

My opponent argued with  the ref for a while and when he didnt get it his way he picked up his models and conceeded then starts to say to me i shouldnt try it in my next game because its an 'issue of morals' lol. I didnt know how the rule worked either way and would have been happy to play it as not hitting them had I known he was going to throw a strop and pick up his models. I had the win anyway and probably max points but his conceeding gives me full points anyway.

Game 5,
Vs Wolves/Guard,
Purge the Alien,
Short Edge:

Njal;
Runepriest;
Primaris;
50Guard; 3 Auto, 5 Flamers, 6 Power Axes, Commissar.
Platoon Command;
10 Grey Hunters; POD, Wulfen, Banner, 2 Plasma
10 Grey Hunters; POD, Wulfen, Banner, 2 Plasma
10 Grey Hunters; POD, Wulfen, Banner, 2 Melta
Lone Wolf; Termie Armour, SS, Chainfist

How it Went:

I dont think I would have minded playing this if it wasnt kill points, I obviously get none for the lone wolves, the blob squad is next to impossible to kill and all his characters go in it and he can just drop his pod squads out of the way. Plus the guy playing it is ranked 2nd in the country.

My opponent goes first and drops 2 of his pods on a flank of my lines [im castled around a building hoping to pick off his pods with lightning and missiles], this suprises me as although it will give him first blood and a kill point for killing a vindi, which he does, it should give me 4 kill points for his 2 units and pods.

In my turn I drop my pod around his two to lend more bolters to the fire. I then go to turn my remaining vindi which is blocking LOS to a lot of my army to these 2 squads but the gap is slightly too small so I need to take a dangerous terrain test, I fail it, meaning I cant get it out of the way or bring its gun onto these squads, costing me over half my firepower with 1 roll....

I do kill 1 pod and reduce both units to half strength, which I figure my 10 man squad can now at least whittle down as they are only fighting 10 other space wolves and I can finish them up with another squad.

It doesnt go that way. Over the course of the next few turns I lose my entire 10 man squad without killing a single one of his 10 guys. I begin to focus on his massive guard squad as if i kill that it is worth 5 points in all as his commander is also in it. Unfortunately one of his powers he rolled was a 4+ ward for them. He also gets re roll misses for them and a power that makes me re roll saves. Not a problem I think, those 2 have to be in range of my 3+ save to stop psychic powers to have any effect on me and I should stop most of them then. Every turn out of those 3 powers, the only one I manage to stop is the 4+ Ward.

So this guard squad thats snaked out a bit to let him use his orders from his platoon command squad is firing about 80-100 lasgun shots, re rolling misses and making me re roll saves. It was just deleting squads a turn. My the late game I had whittled it away with my ordnance though to about 9 guys + characters so I charged in with Njal and my few remaining marines, if i win it will swing the game for me but I fluff my attacks and lose my squad although in the end theres only about 7 models left total and we had to end turn 5 because of time. As it was though it was a heavy loss for me. My opponent was a nice guy though and it was a fun game.

Game 6,
Vs GK/Guard,
Scourging,
Diagonal:

[HQ1]Coteaz - 100

[Elite1]10 Purifiers - 4 Psycannons, 6 Swords - 280

Razorback - Heavy Bolter, Psybolt Ammo - 50 for Elite1

[Troop1]3 Warrior Acolytes - 12
[Troop2]3 Warrior Acolytes - 12
[Troop3]3 Warrior Acolytes - 12
[Troop4]3 Warrior Acolytes - 12
[Troop5]3 Warrior Acolytes - 12

Razorback - Heavy Bolter, Psybolt Ammo - 50 for Troop1
Razorback - Heavy Bolter, Psybolt Ammo - 50 for Troop2
Razorback - Heavy Bolter, Psybolt Ammo - 50 for Troop3
Razorback - Heavy Bolter, Psybolt Ammo - 50 for Troop4
Chimera - 55 for Troop5

[HS1]Dreadnought - 2 Twin Linked Autocannons- 135

[1150]

Allies;

[HQ2] Company Command Squad - 3 Flamers - 65

[Troop6]10 Veterans - 3 Flamers - 85

[FA1] 3 Vendettas - 390

[HS4]Manticore - 160

[700]

1850 Total

How it Went:

Well this was actually one of my mates who went to the tournament with me. So either way one of us would be getting a high finish with 4 wins [unless an unlikely draw happened].

I didn't think I could really deal with his firepower and I had nothing to stop his manticoretaking out my tanks as it was hidden behind a big bunker and he also had a massive air advantage. My Wolf list last edition used to smash his GK every game but I knew it wouldnt be so easy under 6th.

His first turn didnt really cause much damage thanks to night fight where as mine got me first blood as I killed a few razorbacks.

His turn two though was brutal, his manticore mangling my demol, his vendettas coming on and getting a bead with 8 lascannons on one of my squads out of cover, I figure I should lose 5 guys but I lose all 8.

Over the next few turns my army is dwindling fast but I am still up in terms of objectives. My vendetta comes on and I get right up to his vendetta with vets in to try and blow it down to deny him a scoring unit but I only take 2 Lascannons off it. He drops into hover mode to drop his guys off and to allow his vendettas to take an objective.

Now I have a few chances to win the game, if my vendetta which is still flying can survive I will win the game. It has full hull points and everything he has needs 6's to hit, so it shouldnt die if i evade. His vendettas take 2 hull points off me and his dreadnoughts dont manage to do any, so i think I am safe until the multilaser off his chimera rolls a 6 to hit, 6 to glance and then i fail my evade roll and crash to the ground.

Going into my last turn I can still draw, his vendettas are holding 1 objective worth 3 points, he has 2 acolytes on another worth 3 and 3 acolytes on an objective worth 4. I have 1 objective worth 2 and first blood. My primaris psyker can easily contest the 4 objective as he had been hiding behind the leman russ wreck all game. All i needed to do was shoot the 2 acolytes from the other objective. All I have in range is living lightning. I roll my psychic test........I fail it. Giving him the game 5-3

Final Placing: 24th/52

I was fairly happy with that, my mate got 10th thanks to that win last game. I was worried id do much worse with how my list performed in practice games. Even in some of the game I won here, my list was really struggling and the end of most games I had very little left. Not a list I would take again but it was fairly fun to use and got me a few wins.

Overall it was an ok weekend but I didnt enjoy any of the games I won at all because of my opponents. Every game I lost was fun and enjoyable as my opponents were nice guys and there was no complaining but obviously I dont know if that would have been the same had they been losing [besides my mate] but they didnt seem the kind of guys to be like that.

The guys I beat though, every one, were just really angry and moany during the games about rules/anything going wrong for them and one player even about my list [which really had nothing hard in it for him to complain about]. So that just spoilt it for me a bit, you dont want to feel bad about winning especially when your not even taking a competative list. The guy I played last in day 1 did come and apologise at the start of day 2 for it though which was nice to see.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

BigToof

Sounds like a great series of games!

As a relatively new user of Wolf-Guard combinations, I have to say that they are one of the best new allies.
GK/Guard though is just outright nasty though.

Given your experience, are you considering changing anything?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Lord Sotek

Sounds like a fun tournament overall, and a load of great battle reports.

But. Battle #4.

Ho-leee-sheeit. What a complete and total jerk! That guy sounds like he wouldn't know sportsmanship if it walked up to him and slapped him in the face.

There isn't even any such thing as a "hot-shot lascannon." Sheesh!
Quote from: Saulus on March 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my

Arguleon-veq

Lol yeah, game 4 was not fun.

I'm going to completely change the list BigToof, this was essentially just what I had available. I think if I'm going to carry on with Wolf/Guard(I'm leaning towards mono daemons) I would probably take Guard as primary, take more vendettas, a giant blob squad and a manticore or two then perhaps a unit of vets with camo cloaks to man a defense line and flamer spec wep teams to go in the vendettas. I'd probably just take a rune priest, drop pod squad and lone wolf to back the guard up.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33