News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Returning the 'post approval' system

Started by Lord Sotek, December 12, 2012, 07:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you be in favor of reimplementing a "like"/"Approve Post" system?

Strongly in favor
10 (50%)
Somwehwat in favor
8 (40%)
Ambivalent/netural
0 (0%)
Somewhat against
0 (0%)
Strongly against
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 19

LinnScarlett

I tend to agree on this with Isaac - and I can point out two personal reasons, which I think have nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with wanting to not have the idea you're talking to the empty void of the interweb out there:

Example 1:
I recently posted a bit of story (a bit, she says, its over 30k words, eek!) called 'Burn The Heretic' in the fluff section. I really like writing, as a ways to giving voice to the insane crazy in my head. As I am not too comfy (yet) with the deep theory of W40k gaming itself, most of my contributions here will be posts (like this one) or my creative work - modelling, writing and visual art. I personally love a good review that will help me improve, but you just can't demand that from people constantly. Not everybody always has the time, or want, or ideas, or words, or need to do so, and that has nothing to do with being lazy. If you see something nice, or read something nice, you don't always have something to say about it. They are meant to be 'just' enjoyed, too. A 'like' option (that shows who 'liked') would be great, because it breaks the void. Perhaps you are not a writer/artist, but NOTHING is as demotivating as thinking your work is just hanging there, in nothingness, forgotten. Why bother posting again next time? There is no way to know people saw it, or cared for it, or read it. And don't give me the 'viewed X' statistic shit, that is padded even by your own loading of the page, and says nothing about people reading/seeing what is in their, nor their opinion on it.

Example 2:
I like reading battle reports and I like reading some of the deeper theory discussions going on, I don't (feel) I have the know-how to make helpful contributions to that, half the time. It would be nice to be able to show you're there and interested, listening and perhaps learning from the debate, without having to make some non-sensical comment. A 'like' to the thread, or the report, or such, would allow me to say: "Hey guys, I am here, this is pretty interesting! I am following you, so keep going!" without the redundancy of *actually* having to say that...

So yea, being largely a theory discussion lurker and creative contributor, I would like such an option. I want to share my creative weirdness with you guys, but if nobody (bar reviews, I have no way of knowing) is dropping by, then why bother re-reading/grammar checking/cleaning/forum style converting things, right? I could spend that time uploading it elsewhere, or better yet, working on a new project.

And on the topic of karma... colour me silly but I am quite proud of the 1 karma I got for 'Burn The Heretic', even though I am not entirely sure what getting it means. *sits down to polish it, anyway*
I need more time to do the Emperor's work!

You can read my stuff on 2S's Fluff and Stories.

Or, you can come visit my author page on Archive of Our Own. WARNING: NC-17

Irisado

Quote from: Linn Scarlett on December 18, 2012, 03:22:42 PM
I can see where you're coming from, but I wonder what we could do to generate discussion? If someone makes a post/discussion/contribution, what will make people read it? Interest in battle reports, modelling, fictions, surely. If they are not interested, they won't go there. If they can't well put into words why they think something is good or bad, they might not post.

That's personal choice, nobody can make anyone post, but clicking buttons isn't the solution, because it doesn't generate any activity.  The problem with this place is that there are very few active contributors, and new members, like myself, who post on more active boards, are not going to be encouraged to get involved in discussion if there is very little discussion to participate in.

As far as increasing forum activity is concerned, regular members don't have the final say.  Of course, we can offer opinions, but in the end it's the staff who have to make these decisions, and the necessary changes to move the forum forward.  As a Staff member on another forum, I can say that fora have a more difficult time in recruiting new members, and keeping them, these days than in the past, but this seems to be magnified here.  I haven't been around long enough to explain the reasons, so I'll leave that to experienced members of the community to discuss, but I can offer my views on what I think will not help (see below).

QuoteDon't underestimate the boundary breach of putting your opinion in words, where others can read it and link your name to it. Where you might make a fool out of yourself, or get ridiculed for having a weird/different opinion. Not everybody does that as lightly as perhaps you and I do.

The same goes for creating a constructive, good, non-offensive but helpful reply that doesn't beat around the bush. You need to be able to put into words what you thought and why you thought it, how it could be improved, or why it was bad (preferably both, tbh). As an example, I spend about 15-20 min writing my reply to one of Wargamers fiction post, trying to figure out why I thought the things I thought about it, what I felt could help make it be better, what I particularly really liked about his style, and so on.

If people flame or troll you, then that's against the forum rules, and should be moderated, so unlike blogs there is a safety net here.

Good, constructive posts take time to assemble.  My army list critiques, for example can take around fifteen minutes to put together properly, and articles take even longer.  This is a good thing though.  Spammish one liners are of little use in the context of a discussion forum.

QuotePerhaps a 'like' button might cause people that made short replies, or no replies, to press it and not reply at all. But it leaves me wondering, would they have made the step to meaningful discussion posts/replies anyway? I don't know. It all comes down to the kind of person behind the PC. I agree that a 'like' button isn't facilitating, but if people are too lazy to post, then what are they doing here?

A lot of members sign up to fora, but never actually post.  This has been the case for years.  What counts is the quality of those who do post.  A load of spammers clicking a button, or posting one liners is bad either way, and that's the point I think that we need to remember :).

Quote from: Isaac Baraqiel on December 19, 2012, 08:47:29 AM
You are still presuming to dictate to me (and I mean that in a generic sense, extended to all the forum's users) what my future actions will be as if you know better than we do, however.

Because it's entirely predictable how most people will behave when given a button, you only need look around the internet to see its impact.

QuoteReplying "I agree" or even "I agree because X" breaks up a thread's content-posts, and often comes across as inane, so people don't do it. Not doing it? Good for spam, bad for author having an idea of whether people give a damn about what they wrote or not. The internet is faceless; a writer can't know if people see or care about or like their material unless said people leave a mark of somekind.

Ticking an "I thought this was neat" button lets the author know they've garnered positive or interested attention. It doesn't interrupt a thread. It doesn't have to make a relatively contentless and inane statement to convey the message.

If a thread doesn't generate discussion, it doesn't generate discussion.  The first ever threads I posted on one forum were completely ignored in terms of replies, but had a high number of views, so I wasn't deterred.  Having a like button stops people from replying at all.  If someone has more to say, then the probability is that many will just think 'oh, I'm too busy, I'll click the like button'.  You end up cutting off your nose to spite your face.

If someone has constructive comments to make, let the comments be made.  Don't give people lazy short cuts.  I say again, this isn't Facebook.

QuoteSo we're all lazybad forumgoers for not wanting to have to write an analysis paper just to let someone know we exist, took a look, and thought their story or art or whatever was neat?

And like buttons are simultaneously bad because you assume they mean people will get lazier and stop writing the posts... that they don't write, anyways, and never did, and that you're griping about their laziness in not writing?

Can you see how silly and self-contradicting that sounds?

Only because you twist it to fit your own preferences  ;).

It's very easy to write a constructive post, and it's very easy to explain why you thought something was good, other than by typing 'I agree'.  I see it done regularly, and these comments are far more valuable than clicks on a like button.  Like tells you nothing.  It doesn't explain why the person thought it was good, where you could have improved, or what their favourite elements of your post/thread were.  It's completely useless.

QuoteYou are bemoaning the supposed loss of posts which do not exist in the first place.
NOW: If you have something to discuss, you post about it.

If you don't have something particular to discuss, just saw and liked the material, you do nothing because you have no response options other than undesirably cluttering up the thread with noncontent, and so the author sees nothing. It feels like no one is taking an interest in their work. Why keep writing when no one seems to take an interest?

WITH A LIKE BUTTON?
If you have something to discuss, you post about it.
If you don't have anything in particular to discuss or contribute, and you don't want to clutter up the thread, but you do want to show your interest and appreciation, you hit a like button. The author sees that X number of people have hit the like button and feels good about their work and the fact that they can observe people taking an interest in it. If the writer is anything at all like me, this is an impetus to write more and post more.

There is no loss of posting or discussion. There is the addition of a means to express something you could not express effectively before.

I disagree entirely, as it just means fewer people are likely to reply at all, as they will just click the button instead (see above).  As a result, you lose traffic and content, so it's a bad idea.

You seem to be labouring under the false impression that clicking some kind of button equates to recognition.  To me, that doesn't equate to recognition.  All it means to me is that people were too lazy to type anything constructive, so just clicked a button.  How does that tell me that my work was any good if they were too lazy to write a good quality reply?  How does it tell me what was good about it?  How does it tell me where, or if, I could improve?  A like button does none of these things

As for karma, since this really needs to be discussed separately, I'll just say that it has the potential to cause cliques, elitist behaviour, and there are far better ways of moderating people for breaking rules than through a karma system, based on my experience, but I suggest that a new thread is started if we are to debate this in detail.

QuoteNeither do avatars or vanity custom-titles. Are you going to tell me we should ditch those next, because they encourage people to be lazy by selecting a picture to distingush themselves as a user, rather than distinguishing themselves through posting and discussing stuff? Or that it's just an ego contest between who can get the spiffiest avatar/custom title?

These are just features which distinguish users as individuals, and have no relation to forum content or posts (unless a negative custom titling system is used for serial rule breakers).  Karma and like buttons relate directly to threads and posts, and clicking on them removes the need to post constructive replies.  As a result, the comparison you're trying to make is flawed in my opinion.

QuotePlease do enlighten us on some of these other options then, though I should give fair warning that if they seem to consist of "Stop being so lazy you bad lazy people" I will grab a pair of socks and be on my way towards buying a pewter Dreadnought to go with them.

It's up to the staff to solve forum activity issues.  The main problem I see here is that everything has become very general, and there just isn't much of a community or base for many of the armies.  Maybe the forum needs to play to its Tau credentials more, as that's it's primary base, or at least it used to be.  The problem you have here is that this is a breakaway site (I know about the history of Tau Online to a certain extent), which is trying to compete against other 40K fora with many more members, and a lot more content, such as articles, blog sections, connections to social media, and so on, which this place simply doesn't offer.

As it happens, I'm a forum purist, and not a fan of social media, or other bolt ons, but without these I don't see how fora can really compete.  Other 40K fora also have a much stronger history, a longer term membership base, and for that reason have such a big head start on Second Sphere, that I don't know if the gap can even be closed.

These are all matters of the Staff to discuss in detail, should they feel the need to.

As for the rest of that quote, I do think that it's important to maintain an appropriate tone in this sort of discussion, don't you :)?
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Mabbz

If you don't have something particular to discuss, just saw and liked the material, you do nothing because you have no response options other than undesirably cluttering up the thread with noncontent, and so the author sees nothing. It feels like no one is taking an interest in their work. Why keep writing when no one seems to take an interest?

Something that occurred to me as a current solution to this, why not put up a survey asking "would you like to see more of this?"

That way, you would know if they want to see more even if they don't post criticism. I can understand not wanting to put comments in the middle of a piece of writing that takes up multiple posts, and this would be a way around that.

BigToof

A POLL ?????

Ok, now I have to say something.

(puts down soapbox)

I have tried the poll.

I know people like my reps, the fluff, the work and such.

Your first poll is great.  Wonderful.

But the interest wanes quickly as people find out that THEY DON'T HAVE TO VOTE FOR YOU TO PRODUCE.

Which is not the point of the poll, really.

As a writer, I have to echo everything that Linn has said.

We are very, very attached to our works.

Unlike just writing a comment or a few lines, putting together 10-30,000 words in a coherent story or work takes time.

Adding pictures takes more TIME.

Editing ALL of the above takes even MORE TIME.

So, yes, you get attached to what you produce.

Then, just a talent show or whatnot, you put it out on stage and see what people say.

Often times, there is nothing.

I can understand, intellectually why.

10-30,000 words is A LOT to read.  I barely have time to read the front page of a newspaper (yes they still exist) nowadays, much less delve into something that I'm not sure I'll like.

But when I do, I'm torn if I should leave a comment.

What if I say something stupid and the forum all laughs at me?  What if I'm totally wrong and then someone slaps me (metaphorically) upside the head?  Man, that would be embarassing.
So, often times, I don't.

I like the work, but I don't write a comment.

The writer, on the other hand, is WAITING for a reply.  ANYTHING to let them know that they aren't speaking into the void, because that is what the internet basically is.

As time passes, the writer begins to have doubt.

Is the work junk?  Maybe it is junk.  Why did I bother writing it?  Should I post something to get a talk going or would that be double-posting?  OH LOVE OF THRONE WHY IS NOBODY POSTING??

And then someone eventually does (even if it is just to say that they liked it when my character farted loud enough to deafen a small child), I feel elated.  TOTALLY ELATED.

And I can write again.

Now, I can understand the hate on the "approved" button.

Nobody else wants to name names, but I'm gonna.

BOLS Disquis comments.

Warhammer 40k mixed with Facebook with all the wonder, care, and congeniality of Youtube.

I try to not to wash my hands after reading the comments, but I sometimes fail.

I even watch as some BOLS authors actually have mini-breakdowns over the inanity that comes out of it, especially if it (for whatever reason) gets "approves."

So I could see how this wouldn't work, and I don't want to go and redesign things to go that way.

But, what I WOULD like is some kind of way to let authors know that they did a good job and can go back to the cave and write/draw more pretty things.

Ahem.  Thank you.

(off box)
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

LinnScarlett

*accepts soapbox from BT and steps on it*

Isi, I think you missed the point of some of my lines you quoted.

I highly doubt we will lose any of our contributing members into sudden epidemics of lazy-tard. I haven't really seen any flamers or spammers or lolbots that might abuse this system. I HAVE seen lurkers, in fact, my BF (and me, outside of the hobby forum) are lurkers. We read stuff, we LIKE stuff and we're here quite regularly, but we don't feel comfy posting (all the time/everywhere). Sometimes we just 'like' or 'agree' with stuff, without going all Aristotle on it. I've been here over 2 years, have you noticed me? Balls to you if you have!

It would be nice to lure the lurkers out a bit, giving them a way to show they're here and that they care and are interested, without forcing them into things they might not want/dare or otherwise chose not to do. Not all 'likers' are trolls too lazy to type and not all authors measure their e-peen from the amount of karma/likes whatever they get. This is why I am all pro IF the 'like' will be 'name tagged' to your forum name. It shouldn't be anonymous, ever. Certainly, we must encourage people to write good, contributing posts/reviews, but not everybody can and not everybody wants to (all the time). When we don't, silence echoes, and it gives the impression we're not here/ don't care. And that, more than 'like' functions, is a community killer.

However, I can tell you, we WILL loose contributing members - artists, writers, such as we have - because of 'the void' (that I don't think really is a void, but partially people not posting, for whatever reason, as mentioned above). I am not a fan of just getting a heap of 'likes' to my work, it helps me nothing and my self-worth doesn't really need outside reinforcement. I prefer reviews not because I want to be flattered into my grave but because I want to improve. IMPROVE. If nobody talks to me, shares their opinions, how am I to know what is good? What is bad? What could be better? Cool ideas or plot tips? Simple mistakes in armour Mrk or vehicle? Self-improvement and giving you all a good read/time in the bargain, that is why I am here, why I bother spending some hours to clean up these huge files, why I make an enticing synopsis, why I post at all. Yes, I want to entertain you all, give you a good read, share my vision of W40k. In return, I wistfully wait for constructive responses, gentle confirmations that let me know that what I do is not for naught, not for nobody, not to the void. With no (apparent) 'return' in it for me, I might as well sit on my work, because writing in itself pleases me and it saves me the trouble and worry/anxiety that comes with posting my beloved stories/art to the public.

A 'like' button is not ideal. Lengthy constructive indepth reviews are (in my mind) ideal. If I crave anything, it's that, because it helps me move forward, improve, because I strive to be the best I can be at what I like doing.

A 'like' button is better than no response at all. It fills the void, at least.

If you do not understand that, then you must not be a writer/artist, because I cannot imagine any writer/artist not having that sentiment. NOTHING is as demotivating as hearing only echoing silence in response to you crawling out of your shell and grasping together the guts to work for a post containing what is dear to you and fling it out there in the wild, often evil and flamming, jungle of the interwebs.

Echoing silence... *shivers* The death of the non-discussion contributor, if you ask me.

On a personal note, I've spend 3 hours just now fixing up 'Aquila' (a finished short-story) for posting here (and its not yet ready). And even now, though I tell myself 'Burn the Heretic' is a long post (30k-ish words...), that people might not have had time yet, or might not yet have come by it, a tiny voice in my head already goes: 'Maybe nobody beside BT cared?' My motivation to fix 'Aquila', right now, is that I still think there are people on this forum that will like and enjoy my writing, and hoping that BT will like this one too and that I can, in my own small way, entertain him a little while with it. The confirmation that others enjoyed what I made, is the most rewarding thing. A review, a post, or even just a 'like', is the only way I will ever know. I am not a candybar, don't just consume me.

*gets off of BT's soapbox and passes it along*

Sorry if that sounded a little bit rantish and emotional, but that's really how I feel about this. The silence is much more a problem than the 'likes'. At least for our non-discussion contributors (of which, admittedly, I am one). For the discussion ones, we need to come up with ways to encourage people to post, to make sure they know that their opinions matter and that fear of being flamed or ridiculed is nonesense, at least here, in our community.

Mildly ironically, in light of the bleak notes sung on account of lack of forum activity, this thread right here is quite the responsive discussion... :)

Irisado

The reason why this thread is generating discussion is because there is disagreement.  The irony of fora is that you tend to get more discussion when people hold opposite views, but then all participants have to be careful not to get too carried away with presenting their side of the argument, otherwise it becomes too emotive, and/or confrontational, so it makes for a difficult balancing act all round  :).

I have published stories online in the past, and they didn't all receive much in the way of comments, but I preferred the silence to the concept of having like buttons.  As I've said in previous posts, like buttons are of no use to me, because they don't tell me anything about why, and just remind me of social media, which I dislike intensely.  A forum should offer something different to social media, otherwise what's the point of it?

The unfortunate thing is that regardless of those who may use a like system positively is that there will be those who will not, and such a system is easily abused.  It's also open to abuse by those with axes to grind.  I just don't see it being a good idea for these reasons in addition to the previous explanations that I have given.  I also can't agree with the idea that by clicking a like button it suggests that people genuinely care about the work they've looked at.  It may well be that I'm overly cynical, but that's the way I feel about it.

The other major issue which I still haven't seen addressed is how you would encourage people to actually comment if there's a like button there.  What will encourage them to type something, rather than just click a button?
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

LinnScarlett

The same thing that encourages people that post to post now? 'Like' buttons won't change that. People that want to post, will post. And yes, I think you're over cynical. That doesn't mean your points don't have some merrit. I just don't think that *this* forum is going to be swamped in the assery 'like' options can generate, because I don't see any asseries that would do that here to begin with and I doubt people would spontaneously flock here just to troll the 'like' button. You get more attention as a troll on BOLS, no offense.

I hate silence. I spend a lot of time revising and posting, if people don't react or show a sign of life or interest, I am not going to bother investing my time on it in the future. There are other places to try to get feedback. As I said, I am not a candybar, don't just consume me. :)

Also, I think the notion that discussion is only had on disagreement is nonesense. I've been on fora with good long theorycrafting and constructive criticism that essential agreed but thought ever forward from the original point of discussion. Disagreements usually generate posts because people care about *their* opinion and feel others should care about their point or at least hear it. That impulse is far less there on deep theorycrafting or fiction plot-device talk (for those not as deeply involved as the author/s). It has little to do with the disgreement in and of itself, but more with people venting their opinions because of believing it matters/makes a difference/contributes.

In the category of lurkers/readers, perhaps we could have an option that allows people to show that they follow the discussion or thread or whatever? I know, it's all semantics, in the end, but it really would be nice if you could tell people you're interested in what they do without nonsensecomment interupting the flow of their discussion, or cluttering a fiction thread with a post that isn't a review? Just a thought...

Irisado

The point about whether the forum will get swamped is drifting away from the issue, as I agree that you're right that it won't.  The problem is generating activity, and I still don't see anything in your argument about how a like button is going to generate activity.  It only has the potential to decrease activity, or at best result in no change.  If the goal of this discussion is to generate more activity on the forum, then I've seen no indication that a like button is going to help with that.

Quote from: Linn Scarlett on December 21, 2012, 11:28:23 AM
Also, I think the notion that discussion is only had on disagreement is nonesense.

That isn't what I said (see the emphasised section):

Quote from: Irisado on December 21, 2012, 11:13:13 AM
The reason why this thread is generating discussion is because there is disagreement.  The irony of fora is that you tend to get more discussion when people hold opposite views, but then all participants have to be careful not to get too carried away with presenting their side of the argument, otherwise it becomes too emotive, and/or confrontational, so it makes for a difficult balancing act all round  :).

You will, naturally get discussion in topics where people agree as well, but such discussions have a tendency not to last for as long.  I suspect that we have different perspectives on this though, because you're coming at this from a fiction perspective; whereas I tend to focus on army list evaluation, and unit tactical discussion, both of which tend to be short affairs when the participants are in agreement.

There already is an option to follow threads using SMF's notification system.

LinnScarlett

I meant follow not in a sense that it's easy for you to track them, but more to show peeps they're not just talking to empty rooms. I mean, I listen to the guys discussing things at the GWS and I just stand there quietly, listening to them. It's just a shame you can't make yourself known without pointlessly commenting, sure it's not really necessary in a life-or-death sort of way, but the void isn't empty. And the void seeming empty is what drives people away from a forum, unfortunately.

Yea, fiction, modelling and news threads (my general stomping grounds) are far more lengthy in that way. I suppose it is harder to discuss lists long, there is only so much you can say about them, or suggest otherwise, right?

Anyway, I think this whole discussion is best solved (ironically) with a poll vote - either open to all members, or just by the moderators, whichever seems right to the people that 'govern' this forum. We need to turn this thread to ideas on how we can generate discussion, because it's been mentioned by all of us a kazillion times now, but none of us have actually proffered an idea. :P

I, for one, have no idea how to generate more discussion beyond my peer-to-peer commercialesque talks to friends and the like that I always have a good time here, and that there isn't whole heaps of whiners and flamers, and a whole lot of people that actually know their stuff and their fluff (and are generally kind and helpful).

BigToof

Actually, if we could have a subscription option that would be just as good as an approve, especially if you could see how many followers a thread had...

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

LinnScarlett

Quote from: BigToof on December 21, 2012, 04:44:52 PM
Actually, if we could have a subscription option that would be just as good as an approve, especially if you could see how many followers a thread had...

Best,
-BT

It could STILL be argued as e-peen waving, but yea. Everything is, if you turn it that way 'round, in the end.
(Maybe Freud was right...)

I'd like such a feature, just so I know my 2-3 hours of 'publish readying' of stories isn't for... you know, nothing. It's a lot of work, and I don't mind doing it if there is people that will enjoy the fruits (I hope) it bears... A follow option that shows who is following, would be nice that way. Even if its only visible to the author.

I. Just. Hate. The Void.  :-\

Mabbz

Quote from: Linn Scarlett on December 21, 2012, 06:11:29 PM

Best,
-BT

It could STILL be argued as e-peen waving, but yea. Everything is, if you turn it that way 'round, in the end.

I'd like such a feature, just so I know my 2-3 hours of 'publish readying' of stories isn't for... you know, nothing. It's a lot of work, and I don't mind doing it if there is people that will enjoy the fruits (I hope) it bears... A follow option that shows who is following, would be nice that way. Even if its only visible to the author.

I agree, as long as there is an option to unsubscribe as well.

LinnScarlett

Quote from: Mabbz on December 21, 2012, 06:23:24 PM
Quote from: Linn Scarlett on December 21, 2012, 06:11:29 PM

Best,
-BT

I agree, as long as there is an option to unsubscribe as well.

Yea, of course, I sort of assumed that there would be I guess. Especially if it is a 'functioning' follow that will spam you with updates. :)