News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Seeker Chariots!

Started by Chicop76, January 31, 2013, 07:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicop76

I finally took the time to really review this unit. I talked amonst my game shop buddies and have to take back my prior thoughts about this unit. Before I get started I want to mention if you have the budget you can easily field 16 vehicles. Just off the top of my head you can do so for under 1k points.

If you run with Fateweaver you can get re rolls on saves. The vehice themselves have the daemon rule which grants them a nice +5 invulnerable save. Having this unit stunt a +5 re rollable save will greatly help keeping this unit alive. I may play test a few games on vassal to see how good the unit is game wise.

A nice part of this model is that being a fast vehicle gives it a 12" flat out move. That is good because after deep strike it can move 12" after deepstrike to get within 6" of the Fateweaver, move out of melta range, get closer to combat, etc.

HQ

After reading the update a bit. It would look like you can take it as an HQ upgrade. I think this is a terrible ideal due to you paying 40 points more for one wound and additional options will be additional points. I for example can field 2 seeker chariots for 80 points taking up one slot while a Herald with seeker chariot would cost exactly the same. The big differance is the healrd have one more wound and when the chariot dies the herald is still around. You can either have double the attacks or have one vehicle that have a more surviable unit, but you can easily argue that 2 units is more surviable than one solo. The only reason this makes sense is if you fill your fast and heavy with better choices.

Taking the Exalted on a Herald comes out to be a better choice than a normal seeker, but at 130 points it starts to look less desirable.

FFast Attack

Hellflayers???  Why bother!

It hits in the middle of the other two seeker Chariots. The good point is that it takes up a fast attack choice. Also you can only take one.

One the bright side it's 1d6 str 6 attacks can be helpful against light vehicles. If you wound with the hammer attacks the rider gets extra attacks. The only reason this is really an option is the str 6 attacks.

If you add the total possible attacks you can dish out like 17 attacks. On average you will get 3 hammer and depending on what you are hitting will depend on how many extra attacks you will get, so against marines it would be one, guard two, nids three. On average you looking at 3 auto hits with around 5 hits for a total of 8 hits. Not bad for the cost of the unit, but the hammer attacks do not rend.

Heavy Attack

This is a really, reallly, really good unit. It is as cheap as a rhino/ sentinel for starters and you can take 3 in a squad. Out of the other two chariots this is the best one. Compared to the Exaulted two seeker chariots are 10 points cheaper and can dish out more atacks and is more durable in some ways. Going back to HQ the Exaulted Chariot becomes slightly better than this one. However this is really dirt cheap.

1. Assuming you have all hull points it can dish out 12 hammer atttacks which is double than the Fast Attack one for 20 points less. Also it comes with rending. I would like to point out 7 of those attacks is average and is rending. This is important when compared against the fast attack option since a rend would range between strength 11-13 while the fast option can do up to strength 12. Yes you are doing higher strength attacks with the fast attack option. Look at it this way. Two Hellflayers can max dish out 12 strength six auto hits at 120 points while Three Seeker Chariots for the same amount of points can dish out 36 strength 4 auto hits that rend with 6 hits rending. The latter dishes out more wounds, can deny saves, and can hurt armour 13 vehicles. Against marines that is 15 marine saves with 6 dead marines vs 4 dead marines with 4 plus attacks. Yeah which one will you take.

2. You can take 3 in one unit. Max attacks would be 51 attacks. However on average for 120 points you can get 21 auto hit rending strength 4 attacks and 10 strength three rending attacks. With rends that is 5 dead marines and about 4 dying to failed saves. On average for half the cost this unit can almost wipe out and entire marine squad!.

3. Str 4 weapons bounces off the front armour

The Exaulted Chariot is an option, but why take it.

1. You paying 10 points more and the same cost of two seeker chariots
2. Same # of wrath attacks as a seeker chariot - the 5 extra attacks due to the benefit ot having two riders instead of one.
3. Can only take one instead of three.

The only chariot worth really taking is the seeker chariot, but it does have it's drawbacks.
1.Can't challenge
2. The rider can be targeted out in combat
3. Difficult terrain can hurt the unit