News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

New Eldar vs Necrons/Chaos SM - 1850

Started by Arguleon-veq, June 09, 2013, 12:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

With my first tournament of the year a few weeks away I wanted to try out new Eldar to see how they would do so I asked a regular opponent for a game against his Cron/Chaos alliance.

I didnt want to proxy much so I used this list;

Farseer; Bike, Runes of Witnessing, Runes of Warding, Spears.
Farseer; Bike, Runes of Witnessing, Spears.
9 Warlocks; Bikes, Spears.
5 Dire Avengers;
Wave Serpent; Scatter Laser, Holo Fields, Shuricannon.
5 Dire Avengers;
5 Dire Avengers;
5 Dire Avengers;
5 Dire Avengers;

Using this list meant I only had to proxy 2 Serpents.

I was facing this list [he has recently changed it a little to try and help against Tau Broadsides];

Destroyer Lord; Scarabs, Weave
6 Wraiths;
5 Wraiths;
5 Wraiths;
Barge;
Barge;
Doomsday Ark
; [For the S9 AP1 Broadside killing]
5 Warriors;
5 Warriors;
5 Warriors;
Scythe;
Scythe;
Scythe;
Chaos Sorc;
10 Cultists;
Helldrake;

For the mission we are using one from the tournament pack;

It is Emporers will but with each objective worth 4 VP's. Then there is an extra objective dead centre of the table worth a further 4 VP's. You get a certain amount of tournament points based on VP difference. Upto 17 of 20 are up for grabs with this, so for example if you get all 3 objectives and all 3 secondary with them getting none your VP difference of 15-0 would give the maximum 17 tournament points. Then a further 3 points are up for grabs with old fashioned victory points, a difference of over 1350 points gives you the max 3 points for this.

Deployment; Dawn of War
Night Fight; On

Farseer 1; Fortune, Guide, Doom
Farseer 2; Presience, overwatch on full BS, Mind War
Warlocks; I got a good mix of powers, I took 4 conceals, I did only get 1 protect though.

Sorcerer; Terrify, Puppet Master.

Pre Game Thoughts; Its all on the Council, If I get fortune and protect off every turn they should be next to impossible to kill. If either fails they are fairly vulnerable. I also need my Wave Serpents to deal with his flyers.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Arguleon-veq

I won the roll for first turn and he didnt manage to seize.

Turn 1:

We didnt use much of the right flank of the table, he has his objective on the left behind a circular bunker which he clusters his whole army around, I have mine behind another bunker in the middle of my depo zone.

I power up my council and zoom them to mid table. My Serpents move around into good firing positions I focus my Serpent fire into the wraiths with the lord. I put down 5 wraiths and 2 wounds off the lord, annoyingly not getting first blood from either as theres 1 wraith left alive.

In his turn he knows he has to weaken my council before it hits his lines so all his fire goes on them but it only kills 1 thanks to my 2+ re rolled save.

Turn 2:

I finish off that lone wraith but the lord has now joined another wraith squad so my serpents also kill half of those, my bikes get into range of a barge and destroy it with their singing spears, annoyingly I do fail to get fearless off on my unit.

He moves up on my council with his lord [on 1 wound] and a total of 7 wraiths spread over 2 units, his shooting kills 1 more bike warlock but that is with all 3 scythes hitting the table. He then charges my council, my overwatch only kills 1 wraith despite being S9 at full BS and re rolling misses.

He throws out a challenge with his lord and I foolishly accept. I easily win the combat for no losses but only kill a pair of wraiths, the lord and farseer dont manage any damage on each other.

Turn 3:

I focus my serpents on those flyers, downing 1 and taking a hull point off another. In combat I do a couple more wounds on the wraiths but cant touch that lord and annoyingly he doesnt hurt me, i now want that farseer out of the challange so I have a better chance of killing the lord as it could take all game to get that last wound with 1 farseer.

His helldrake and sorce again fail to arrive. He puts his fire on my serpents but I only take the odd hullpoint. In combat I finish off the wraiths but cant do the last wound on that lord.

Turn 4:

My serpents continue snap shotting at those flyers and down the other 2. I again cant kill that lord and am now really regretting taking that challenge! My serpents are moving towards the central objective and back to my own.

His helldrake and sorce arrive, his sorce puppet masters one of my serpents who then kills anothet with shots in the rear armour, the helldrake then proceeds to burn down the dire avengers who have to bail out of it and I still cant kill that lord!

Turn 5:

I drop off 1 avenger unit in his depo zone for line breaker, 2 around my own objective and 1 on the centre objective. I lose my protect warlock thanks to a perils and I dont cast fortune as I have fearless off so im now happy to lose that farseer.

My shooting takes down his helldrake thanks to some rear armour shots.

My farseer finally dies to that lord!

In his turn two of his warrior units move towards the central objective, he kills off my line breaker avengers and gets the avengers on the centre objective down to 1 guy. He only manages to kill 1 avanger off my objective with his barge. My council still dont get that lord.

Its currently 10-4 to me, but the game goes on.

Turn 6:

I line up my serpents. to try and stop his warriors getting to that centre objective and manage to kill 4 of the 5 in the closest unit. I then manage to finally kill his lord with my council who consilodate into line breaker.

In his turn he cant gun down that last avenger on the centre objective as im blocking LOS from a lot of his stuff with my serpents, he does kill 1 with his ark though which leaves the way clear for his lone warrior to get a long charge on my lone avenger....

....he rolls for it, and gets it! through difficult terrain, he gets past my overwatch but we fail to kill each other.

The game ends.

So nobody has the centre, we have 1 each and I have all 3 secondary for a 3VP difference, I then get the max difference for old style VP's and overall it ends up a 16-4 Win to me.

Result: 16-4 to the Eldar
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chicop76

I like the list. However I think two serpents should have star cannons, or lances to give them more options and versitility. Or try to fit in fire dragons with a serpent.

I had mad a similar list with dire avengers and banshees where I can fit in 9 serpents and a spirit seer.

Arguleon-veq

Why do you think it needs lances/starcannons/fire dragons?

The council perform some pretty nice anti tank, the shuricannons on the serpents and shuricats on the council provide some nice AP2. I think you lose too much on a serpent by it not having those scatter lasers twin linking everything, its those scatter lasers that make them effective anti air.

I like the idea of a full wave serpent list too. Ive managed 8 at 1850;

6x5 Avengers
2x5 Dragons
8 Scatter/Shuricannon/Holo Serpents
Spirit Seer.

X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

BigToof

Very cool!
I'm impressed that the Farseer lasted that long.
Silly question, but did you feel that the number of Warlocks felt right for the Seer Council?
Getting that armor buff seems to be critical to keeping them alive, so theoretically six should be ok, but not sure as well, the "average" tends to pop up rather rarely.
It's also interesting to see how the Serpents lasted much longer than previous, or is it just me?
How did you take care of the Barges, or was it just a matter of keeping them busy?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Chicop76

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on June 09, 2013, 07:39:18 PM
Why do you think it needs lances/starcannons/fire dragons?

The council perform some pretty nice anti tank, the shuricannons on the serpents and shuricats on the council provide some nice AP2. I think you lose too much on a serpent by it not having those scatter lasers twin linking everything, its those scatter lasers that make them effective anti air.

I like the idea of a full wave serpent list too. Ive managed 8 at 1850;

6x5 Avengers
2x5 Dragons
8 Scatter/Shuricannon/Holo Serpents
Spirit Seer.

Even if you use a lance you can still shoot 11 times minus 10 twin linked shots. I think 5 to 6 serpents is fine as is. I just feel the need to at least have more anti 13-14 armour. The fire dragons can help, but against crons I can see you having issues.

Arguleon-veq

I was very annoyed my Farseer lasted that long  :P, altough the lord only had 3 attacks, was hitting on 4's and needed to get past a 4+ re roll 3 times so he probably should have lasted as long as he did.

I dont think 1 protect is enough, I think around 9 is ideal then you get a good chance at 2 of them as LD8 is very failable.

The Serpents are great now, there are other bigger/more immediate threats so they are less of a target priority and your stopping half the damage on them, throw in the odd shrouding and they are a nightmare to kill.

The Council got one with their Spears but as they got tied up for so long I had to just ignore the other one and the Ark, with everything being so durable though it wasnt really an issue.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33