News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Couldran of Blood and other multi use kits, good value?

Started by Arguleon-veq, October 03, 2013, 08:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

Ive been noticing that with a lot of the newer Fantasy kits that allow you to build multiple units you are actually getting quite a lot for your money.

Take the new Couldran of Blood, ok its £45 but it is pretty big!, if you decide to use it as a Couldran with Death Hag you will also get Hellbron [Special Character] and a Medusa. Your looking at a special character being about £10 on its own and a stand alone monster like that costing at least £15 so really the Couldran is only costing you about £20 if you wanted those other models anyway.

I noticed they did a similar thing with the new Terradon Riders, allowing you to make a chieftan or the special character from the regular kit.

Although they do something thats pretty good value like this and then charge £35 for 10 Witch Elves! I think we are going to see a LOT of people using Dark Eldar Wyches as Witch Elves as you get enough parts in the kit to not give any of them pistols anyway.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Deraj

The phoenix came with caradryn or a phoenix lord on foot. It didn't cause me to buy it but it certainly made me happy as hell when I figured it out. I'm liking how many bits theyre packing onto their sprues now.

Narric

It is something I had noticed of the Fantasy releases. Highly customisable kits are the best kits.

However, these have mostly been centerpiece kits. I doubt there will be many "Core" kits that will get similar treatment. Be free to point me wrong there, but I don't remember many being very versatile, beyond a single units options.

Deraj

It's looking like with the dark elves they're trying to make each kit a 2 use kit, and they did it with the shadow warriors/maidens for the high elves. I think a lot of the kits are going to get the multiuse treatment by gw so that they won't have to produce as many kits and lose money as a lot of people are saying fantasy is hemorrhaging money. It would be something cool to see with 40k too, but I think it really is just that fantasy isn't making as much money, so they'll make less kits for more units (which I'm all for.)

For the dark elves it seems like the excecutioners, spearmen, wyches, and cavalry are all getting multiuse boxes in case you were wondering.

Matt1785

I think this is the general idea with most of the new kits that Fantasy has been releasing.  It lowers the packaging costs and production costs because they only have to make subtle variations to give out two different units and still charge the same price.  Genius business move on their part.

Good news is, that at least they're not duel kits that have no use if you don't make one... like with most 40K kits where 1 box does 2 things, but if you only go one way, you have a bunch of useless pieces.  Cauldron can have a Medusa or the witch, and both can be put on foot, it's win-win.  Did the same thing with the Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur.  It's a good direction to move in.

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on October 03, 2013, 08:12:37 PM
Ive been noticing that with a lot of the newer Fantasy kits that allow you to build multiple units you are actually getting quite a lot for your money.

Take the new Couldran of Blood, ok its £45 but it is pretty big!, if you decide to use it as a Couldran with Death Hag you will also get Hellbron [Special Character] and a Medusa. Your looking at a special character being about £10 on its own and a stand alone monster like that costing at least £15 so really the Couldran is only costing you about £20 if you wanted those other models anyway.

I noticed they did a similar thing with the new Terradon Riders, allowing you to make a chieftan or the special character from the regular kit.

Although they do something thats pretty good value like this and then charge £35 for 10 Witch Elves! I think we are going to see a LOT of people using Dark Eldar Wyches as Witch Elves as you get enough parts in the kit to not give any of them pistols anyway.

What I am seeing out of the Cauldron of Blood kit are;

A Dark Avatar/Avatar of Khaine
A large Terrain Piece
Wyches
A clawed Angoniser
A Power Weapon
A Daemon Prince/Herald of Slaanesh
Objective Markers

The Witch Elves are perfect and way more Wych-like than the current set, and I will be getting three boxes of those plus the Cauldron of Blood to expand upon my Dark Eldar army and kitbash them with the current stock of Wyches in sprues in my collection. The Witch Elves units are the most worthwhile things that came out from 40k this year for me.