News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Community Voted Contest - Scavenger 2014

Started by Narric, February 03, 2014, 10:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Scavenger is kinda like a Bitz Box Bash contest, accept the model doesn't have to be game legal. Just look cool and/or interesting. Like a Space Marine with Tyranid Arms (Genestealer Cult?) or a Tau fire Warrior with a Boltgun and IG banner for a cape :P To give examples ;)

To enter:
- Entries can be submitted via a PM to Narric (Me) from February 3rd until February  20th.
- Voting will take place from February 21st until February 27th.
- Winners shall be announced on February 28th.

Prizes:
Award Seals will be granted to the Top 3 Entrants.

Rules:
- Only one miniature may be entered. It may not be a Diorama on a large base.
- No more than 25% of the model can be Green Stuff
- Up to three pictures of the unpainted model may be submitted for the entry. You are limited to 800 x 600 pixels for picture dimensions. Don't hesitate to ask for help if you're not used to picture editing.
- You may upload a fourth picture of the model painted.

Lets see what abominations you lot will create :P

InsaneTD

Does it have to be fully from the bits box out can it include a parts we bought just for that model?

Narric

I'm not too sure to be honest :P

Considering we don't know whats in your Bitz Box, can we really say no? XD

If someone can give a good reason for disallowing parts bought, then We'll have to say no, but now I'll say yes :P

Masked Thespian

Considering that we can't police anyone's bits box, I don't think there can be any kind of limitation like that.  If people want to buy bits for this, then I say let them.
Regards,
MT.
Quote from: Ravager Zero
Freaking mod-ninja. :P

Although, given that you're in Japan now, I suppose that's entirely legit. :shifty:

InsaneTD

Alright, cool. I should be able to pm my entry in tomorrow.

CoffeeGrunt

What exactly are we looking for? So I know the criteria of the competition, as it's a little vague if it's just throwing Bitz together.

Do we get extra points for painting, more than one character dioramas, etc, etc?
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Narric

Single miniature, and painting is optional :)

Anything else to get "Extra points" would depend on the people voting. Some may find a pose more to their liking, while others may prefer a certain combination of bitz.

There is no size limitation on this, however the bigger the "Model" the harder it will be to fit all the best views of it into just three pictures ;)

InsaneTD

I'm going to see if I can finish painting it so I can do the extra picture.

The Allfather

Ooh, I've got the perfect thing for this! its kind of a diorama though, is that ok? By diorama I mean its a small scene on a large base that I threw together because I had so much random stuff...

Narric

I'm thinking I should run a seperate Diorama contest at this rate :P I guess a diorama can be a single miniture? However for the sake of this contest, I'll say no Dioramas. If I get enough interest, we'll run it next month, which would give you guys time to paint them up ;)

CoffeeGrunt

I'd say merging Dioramas with this contest would give you a wider pool of applicants, which is more fun for everyone involved.

Narric

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on February 05, 2014, 06:09:29 PM
I'd say merging Dioramas with this contest would give you a wider pool of applicants, which is more fun for everyone involved.
We'd then potentially have people entering something like the Forge World HH Character Dioramas, which wouldn't be scavanged at all. Most dioramas also look their best when painted fully, and as this contest only allows for a single painted picture, it wouldn't do a Diorama justice.

And then you have to awkwardness of essentially having two different categories (Single Mini & Diorama) trying to take the spotlight against eachother. Giving people two votes wouldn't 100% fix the issue, as you can't garauntee that people will only vote for one Diorama and one Single miniature (as well behaved as this forum is ;)).

From my current point of view, it makes things easier to keep the two seperate, so that each can truly shine by themselves.

If we had more time, I'd think about making this themed, and go with something like a Duel, but that is an idea we can try at a later time.

CoffeeGrunt

I dunno, you might run into participation issues with fragmented contest categories.

Narric

I've been open for any and all suggestions on how to do these minor contests since early/mid January . Nobody had said anything about whether or not Dioramas should be included. The only thing relating to the Scavenger contest that was really agreed was no more than 25% of a model be made of Green Stuff.

Also, Dioramas were a seperated choice for this months contest anyway, and that only had two people behind it, whilst Scavaneger had 6. I was hoping that meant there were at least six people who had things they thought would qualify for a Scavenger contest, and not just six people who wanted to see a scavenger contest.

gorlak

I have to agree with Narric. It would be a tad weird to merge this with diorama - don't really see how it fits to be honest? It's not like Heavy Support had dioramas, so why should this?

If I have time for this one, my entry will mostly be a "goofy" model, and not something that necessarily warrants a diorama - but dammit it will be painted or not submitted at all!