News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Genestealers/IG vs TauDarZilla (1500, 10/23) in "The Baron Returns!"

Started by BigToof, October 23, 2016, 02:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigToof

---------------------------------------
Genestealers/IG vs TauDarZilla (1500) in "The Baron Returns!"
---------------------------------------

Hi All,
Yes, it's GENESTEALER TIME.
The new Codex is just fluffy and great, with some unique mechanics.
The most eye-brow raising of which is that you can ASSAULT out of better-than-infiltrate or even on FIRST TURN.
Granted, it's random, but it's a SCARY random result.
With T3 models with barely any armor save...

Smells like a Greenskin plan!
In any case, I made a simple-ish list and then went looking for a game.
I didn't have a lot of options, but I managed to find a mate who was running something filthy:

TAUDAR ZILLA

AKA Wraithknight and a RIPTIDE WING.

That's hella dirty.

Umm...  I have a lot of rending?

Uphill battle if I ever heard of it, but hopefully I was going to get some beginners luck.  Granted, I decided to take the beastly unit of Patriarch plus TWENTY Genestealers, but I wasn't sure if it'll be enough...

How did it go?

READ.  ON.

Best,
-BT

P.S.  Yes, there's some fluff too :)
C&C is greatly appreciated!

--------------------------------------------------

Genestealers/Imperial Guard 1500: 91 Infantry, 2 Vehicles; (17 VPs, 6 WC)
Cult of the Star Emperor (Genestealers Cult Insurrection Detachment)
First Curse
- Ra'Oh the Star Emperor (Patriarch w/Mastery2)
- Genestealersx20
Lord of the Cult
- Highfather Magnus (Magus w/Mastery2)
Brood Cycle
- Acolyte Iconsward
- Metamorphsx5 w/Claws
- Genestealersx5
- Acolytesx5
- Acolytesx5
- Acolytesx5
- Neophytesx10 w/Webbersx2, Seismic Cannonsx2
- Neophytesx10 w/Webbersx2, Seismic Cannonsx2
Shadow Skulkers
- Genestealersx5
Lady Jenna's Marauders (Imperial Guard Allies)
- Baron von Oberheim (CCS w/Meltagun, Lascannon in Chimera)
-- Officer of the Fleet
-- Master of Ordinance
- Natalia Maximov (Primaris Psyker, Mastery2)
- Lady Tomoe Saigo (Veterans w/Plasmagunsx2, Carapace Armor in Chimera)

TauDar Zilla List 1500: 20 Infantry, 3 MCs, 1 GC (10 VPs, 3 WC)
Eldar CAD
- Farseer w/Jetbike, Stones
- Jetbikesx3 w/Scatter Lasers
- Warp Spidersx5, Exarch
- Warp Spidersx5, Exarch
- Wraithknight w/D-cannons, Scatter Lasersx2
Riptide Wing
- Riptide w/Heavy Burst Cannon, TL-SMS, VT, EWO
- Riptide w/Ion Accelerator, TL-Fusion, EWO, Counterfire
- Riptide w/Ion Accelerator, TL-Fusion, EWO, Counterfire

---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------
Chapter One: The Baron Returns
---------------------------------

"My Lord Baron, it pleases you, yes?"

Baron von Oberheim nodded to himself and the assembled group in the officer's tent.  It was a fine painting, made of ocher paints that accurately depicted his rugged physique and countenance.

The ancient art of portraiture was clearly not lost on even the rabble of Urgot XIII, a mining colony in the armpit of the Imperium.  He was one of the few who openly objected to the concept of endangering the Rogue Trader and its crew to aid in the evacuation of the colony.  They were a filthy rabble after all.  No one in the Imperium would miss them if they were gone.
But Lady Jenna and her vast bleeding heart had decided against common sense and now here he was.  At least he had managed to wrench control of the operation, so there was some sense of civility in the matter.  Granted, Seneschal Hawkins had made some sort of excuse about unknown long-range signals, but that mattered little.

What did matter was that the right man was now in charge.  And it was good, because the situation needed a firm hand.

Urgot was a pile of excrement that was literally falling apart at the seams.  Dredged up buildings were everywhere, and the scum that clung to its surface were barely human.  But, at least they knew their place.

Their leader was a pale, smiling toad of man named Highfather Magnus, a religious figure of some sort that venerated the Emperor with a sense of ribald fanaticism that was common in the far reaches.  It was a kind of familiar sentiment that at least gave the Baron purchase in his assumption that they were at least a decent sort under their scaberous coat. 

Evacuation was taking far too long as there were always some kind of setback that the Baron attributed to gross incompetence, although some may think otherwise.

He glanced back at the nervous looking crimson-haired woman that paced around the tent with a frenzied energy that made his insides curl.

Natalia Maximov was a psyker.  A mutant.  It supposedly gave her powers beyond the pale to look into the future and somesuch.

The Baron found that all it did was make the woman more annoying than normal for her breed.  A fact which culminated in her trembling remarks that broke him out of his reverie.

"Baron, is that why are we still here?  You waited to have a painting made of yourself?"

Baron von Oberheim shook his head, "I am merely doing a service, Psyker.  I am allowing these little people the opportunity to serve their betters.  After all, who is giving them the chance to escape from this misbegotten world?"

Natalia paced a bit more, before swiveling on a heel, "I mean, that's another thing.  Why is this planet becoming unstable?  Did you look at the geology reports?  It doesn't make sense.  And the constant engine failures with the escape craft...  I mean...  Don't you think it's... sabotage?"

A low guttural sound escaped the Baron's throat.

"Are you...  Are you suggesting that the Highfather and his people don't want to escape?"

The Baron motioned to the bowing and scraping throng, who left with appropriate supplication.

"No," said Natalia, "I mean...  There's more going on here than it seems...  I mean... Don't they come off as a bit odd?  I mean, the Highfather and his people they're...  I mean...  They have no hair!"

Natalia bit her lip as she said the words, a shaft of light glinting off the bald pate of the Baron's scalp and a trembling eyebrow rose on the military officer.

"Are you saying that baldness is a form of defect, woman?"

"No, no, I...  I..."

"I think that's enough of you and your trembling.  Kick Saigo out of her stupor.  The ships are finally ready to depart, and I do not want to spend another moment in your presence."

Before she could respond, the Baron stormed out of the tent.

Wonderful, thought Natalia, You certainly haven't lost your way with words.

But, she wished could explain things to the Baron in a way that made sense.  The future which was fairly cloudy, but stil recognizable through her powers had become disturbingly opaque.  It was as if... a great... Shadow... had fallen over her mind.  Perhaps it meant nothing, but something was wrong, she was sure of it.

She only hoped that she lived long enough to regret all of this...

----------------------------------------------------------
"This is intolerable."

Farseer Illandara of the Saim-Hann slammed a slender fist against the wraithbone dias that was projecting the holograph report.  The Mon'Keigh Rogue Trader had come to defend the Genestealers.  It was a fairly simple matter to destabilize the core of the already heavily mined planet, and it was simple enough for the entire cancer to be burned away in the fiery conflagration to follow.

But once again, the Mon'Keigh were being a thorn in her side.

Something caught her eye, and a hint of recognition went over her visage. 

A wry, vicious smile crept over lips.  She knew this vessel.  They had ferried her hated rival, Archon Lady D'ysperax, and they had defeated her in a humiliating battle not so long ago.  Now it was her turn for vengeance.

"Summon the Wraithknight," she said to the Warp Spider Exarch at her side,
"The Eldar march to war.  ... And summon the Tau.  We have need of our catspaws once again."

The Exarch nodded and disappeared with a humm of his Warp Jump generator.
Illandara nodded to herself.  Not only would she gain glory against the alien brood, but justice for all the Craftworlds would be carried out with a single stroke.  Fortune smiled upon her.  All she needed to do was take it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Pre-Game Thoughts: Wow, that's a chunky, chunky list.

Four GIANT monsters and I've got a lot of filthy, filthy rabble.

Still, I've got a lot of rending, although I have no idea how I'll be able to catch everyone.  Warp Spiders are hella fast second only to Jetbikes.

I...  I have no idea how I can do this.

Still, play to the mission and hope it's not Kill Points!

Mission: The Scouring (whew)
Setup: Vanguard (Diagonal)
Psychic:
- Patriarch: Psychic Scream, Endurance
- Magus: Psychic Scream, Hypnotic Gaze
- Natalia: Prescience, Forewarning (4+invul), Precognition (Psyker only re-rolls)
- Farseer: Psychic Scream, Invisibility (!!), Fortune (!!!)
Warlord:
- Patriarch: Can choose any Cult Ambush (!!)
- Farseer: Move Through Cover and Stealth (Ruins)
First Curse: Genestealers do not suffer initiative penalties (!)

Deployment Preview:

Picture Caption: S-S-STEALER SHOCK!
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Masked Thespian

The Baron's back!   ;D

Looking forward to seeing where this goes...   ;D
Regards,
MT.
Quote from: Ravager Zero
Freaking mod-ninja. :P

Although, given that you're in Japan now, I suppose that's entirely legit. :shifty:

Cammerz

Wait, WHAT?! That's your deployment? You can deploy there?

Wow.

Well I hope you can deal with those monstrous creatures early on but I can see it being an uphill struggle, for the sake of Lady Jenna and her crew perhaps the 'stealers and the xenos will wipe each other out and leave only Vasily's old compatriots standing. Perhaps the Baron's Master of Ordnance will be able to pick off the fast-movers while the mass brawl erupts in the bottom-right corner of the map.

If it all does go wrong, I'd imagine it'll mainly revolve around the cult failing morale checks at the end of a round of combat, but if we're lucky that won't happen.

It is certainly good to see the Baron and Illandara back, I like the resurgence of classic characters (and that mention of Lady D brings all of those great memories flooding back). The fluff is looking great so far, I'm looking forward to reading the rest of it.

Mabbz

That's got to be one of the most hilariously lopsided deployments I've ever seen. I really hope you go first, or I could imagine you getting tabled turn one (assuming they have LoS).

Out of curiosity, how do Genestealer Cult work as regards to allies? Are they Allies of Convenience with Guard?

Also, nice to see Natalia back. Last time she met Illandara, didn't she clobber her with a force staff? I'm looking forward to that meeting...

BigToof

Thank you all for the kind words!
I'm planning to do a Genstealer Cult Review, but it's a great book with fluff that matches crunch!
I also like the fact that IG and Tyranids are both Allies of Convenience, and I love the IG mix with the cults.

------------------------------------------------------------------

Setup:
Well, I get to go first, so I put the Chimeras in my deployment with Natalia and the Vets in the front with Baron in the back.  Everyone else goes into Cult Ambush.
My opponent gives a look of "WHA?" and then reads the Cult Ambush table.
He then decides to put all the Riptides in one corner with the Wraithknight in front.
He considers putting the smaller squads out, but decides against it.  (wisely so)

Then the game starts and he fails to seize!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

----------------------------------
Interlude:
----------------------------------

Dreams came to Ra'Oh the Star Emperor.  Once, long ago, he was part of the Hive Mind.  There were blue-armored human warriors on a far away world, battling against the nigh-inevitability of the oncoming Tyranid hive.  But, that was the exact moment that things changed.  Ra'Oh was separated from the whole.  A clutch of genestealers were released onto a Space Hulk that was set to wander the stars.  Ra'Oh and his brethren fell into a comatose-like sleep and only awoke when sunlight warmed his face.

He awoke to a new world.  The Space Hulk had fragmented over the ages and the remains had largely ignited upon re-entry.  Only by sheer happenstance had he managed to survive.  Ra'Oh remembered that first night on the new world.  Looking up to the stars he called out, and for the first time, nothing replied.  He was alone.

Even to a Tyranid, it was an alien feeling, a sense of lonliness that filled him with an emotion that was utterly foreign: sadness.

Part of him wanted to curl back into the wreckage, but something entirely other stirred within his soul.

A hunger began.  Not for food.  Not for drink.  But for companionship.  If he could not have the Hive Mind, then he would make his own.

Humans lived on the planet.  They were dull of mind and slow of wit, and it was simplicity in itself for him to ambush one.  Even Ra'Oh could not remember the first one given the Genestealer kiss, but he remembered that it was the first seed of so much to come.

All was coming to fruition over centuries of planning, but now, something had happened.  The world itself was cracking open, and their attempts to leave the world seemed impossible.  It was as if fate itself was keeping them down.  But, then the call came.  A Rogue Trader.  It heard their pleas, and Magnus in his human guise had begged their help.  And now, they were so close to escape.  But, there was a rumbling on the surface.

Ra'Oh pulled in his senses and reached out.  His long tongue flickered in the darkness.  Eldar.  It all made sense now.  A fine appetizer for the main course to come.

---------------------------
Turn 1: Genestealers/IG

"Incoming Targets!"

Baron von Oberheim looked up from polishing his monacle and frowned at the Guardsman in front of him.

"What is it man?  This tank is hot enough without your bellowing."

"But, but, my Lord," the Guardsman continued, "There's...  Xenos!"

The Baron frowned, "Xenos?  How many?"

"Uh...  Four.  Four my Lord."

"Four Xenos?" growled the Baron, "You interrupt me for FOUR specks of nonsense?  Send out Saigo and the Psyker.  They can deal with nonsense like that."

Guardsman Mordo swallowed, readying the signals to be sent out as he glanced over at the Wraithknight and trio of Riptides.  Certainly the Baron knew what he was doing.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"He wants us to what?!"

Natalia Maximov popped her head back into the Chimera and looked around frantically at the lounging Veterans that seemed not the least worried that they were being ordered into the jaws of death itself.

Lady Saigo,  the nominal sergeant of the group, was wearing a threadbare shirt that barely kept her modest and was picking her teeth with a lasgun clip.

"Baron-chan says lots of things.  He has plan, no worry."

"But, but," Natalia sputtered, "We...  We're...  They're huge!"

"What is wrong, little girl?" chuckled Saigo, "You not like them big?"

Natalia blushed besides her own attempt at keeping things together, and tried to not look at the chortling men around her.

"I'm... just... trying to be reasonable here."

Lady Saigo smirked, "That is good plan.  But, we is not plan makers.  Driver, charge!"

Natalia leaped for the rails, expecting a lurching advance, but nothing happened.

"Ma'am, I'm...  afraid I can't do that.  There's something in the way."

Lady Saigo frowned, popped her head out the tank and then ducked back in.

"Huh," she said, scratching her chin in thought.

"What is it?" whispered Natalia, who flinched as an eerie howl filled the air.

"Dogs."

"Dogs?"

Lady Saigo shrugged, "Maybe bears."

"Wha... what?"

"Bears not like Xenos it looks like.  We stay in tank until things are better."

------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I have them completely surrounded.  Right where they want me...

As the Genestealers are the only ones that can attack, I ready to try and weaken the giant monstrosities in front of me.

First off all though, I get Endurance off on the Genestealers, making them a 3+ FNP with the Acolyte Iconsward behind them.
I get a decent number of Warp Charges and then Psychic Scream the heck out of the Wraithknight and get... one wound through.
The Baron gets orders off to ignore cover and does... no damage.
Seismic Cannons also fire and do... no damage.
Between solid FNP and 3+ cover rolls, it's just not my night.
So... it all goes down to assault.

I declare a charge on the two Riptides I can get to and, of course, the Wraithknight.

The Tau all fire overwatch.  However, I have a 2+ cover save (shrouded is pretty sweet) coupled with a 3+ FNP, I take no damage going in.  I cut the Wraithknight and the Riptides down to about half wounds each, but more importantly, I only lose a single Genestealer in return!
The Wraithknight is fearless, but the Riptides fail their morale checks.  The one closest to the back edge runs off the board.  The other Riptide, though, is too closed in and can't fall back as he's too hemmed in by the other Riptide and the Stealers.  He's thus removed from the board (!).

That...  That was pretty good.

Picture Caption: Get 'em.

------------------
Turn 1: Taudar
------------------

"Fall back!  Fall back!"

Shas'vre Shi'ur pulled back hard on her controls, scowling as wild shots from her Riptide railed into the dark shapes in front of her.  But, to no avail as the strange aliens fell over the other pilots.

"Hold it together, Shas'vre!" Shi'ur called, trying her best to keep the others in sway.  But, she was not the one with a horde of monsters on their armor.  The enormous suits held for a moment, but then broke and ran.  One tried to push past her, but was unable to get past her.

Before Shi'ur could shift her position, the Riptide was pulled to the ground and a terrifying screech of metal suddenly cut off her comms.
She was alone.  The Eldar had come to the Tau, promising victory and doing work for the Greater Good.  It was supposed to be easy.  The huge construct in front of her seemed invincible at first, barely noticing the smaller monsters, but then even it started to fall as innumerable slices and gouges started to rain over its body.

She had to do something.  Anything.  Her Heavy Burst Cannon stopped firing, and Sai'ur swore as she swore the blinking RELOADING prompt.  She wouldn't have time for another volley.

Still, there was another option.  Flicking on the Nova Reactor, she twisted the almost unused panel of the shield array.  If she was going to die, the enemy would have to work for it.

----------------------------------------------------------

The Riptide, perhaps realizing that the Wraithknight is moments away from being chipped beef, juices up it's shields to 3++ and then runs into assault!

Indeed, the Wraithknight is brought down by mass NOMNOM, but the Riptide stands firm against the wall of gribblies.

---------------------------------------------------------

Picture Caption: Wait... Tau are assaulting me?  What sorcery is this?!

BigToof Points:

BigToof

Turn 2: Genestealers/IG

"Sir?"

"Dash it all, Guardsman," snarled the Baron, who was finding a proper place to hang his portrait, "What's so important?"

"The...  Xenos, sir.  They're... they're being eaten."

The Baron raised an eyebrow at the pale-faced man peering out the hatch.

"By what?"

"I...  I don't know, sir.  I don't...  It looks like some kind of... beasts."

"Good," nodded the Baron, turning his attention back to the wall of the Chimera.  "Even the damned wildlife hates the Xenos, Emperor be praised.  Now stop bothering me unless it's something actually important."

--------------------------------------------------------

Well... that was unexpected.
With the Stealers completely surrounding the Riptide, I can't do much at all.

So, I do the next best thing:
RETURN TO THE SHADOWS!
Doing my best Batman impression, I wisk away all of the Genestealer Cult models back into reserve.

My opponent looks a big shocked.

I... kind of like this.

Oh, and the Officer of the Fleet gets the Ld roll and adds another -1 to the reserve roll for the Taudar next round...

--------------------------------------------------------

Picture Caption: Yeah, I gots to run to the store lads.  BRB.

-------------------
Turn 2: Taudar
-------------------

The Chimera rocked as Scatter Lases flew across the battlefield.  The Windriders nodded to each other in satisfaction as the Mon'keigh tank smoked and the humans inside cried out in pain.

As the Jetbikers pulled back, there was a flicker of Warp Energy as the Warp Spiders appeared from nothingness, releasing their deadly payload upon the Mon'keigh craft.  The monofiliment filled the holes made by the lasers, and the Chimera ground to a halt, engines seizing and bursting aflame.

Exarch Garrius motioned to his Spiders, who again brushed against the Warp before appearing further away.  Pathetic aliens.  Who were they to challenge the might of the Eldar?

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks to the massive reserve penalty, only one squad of Jetbikes and one band of Warp Spiders come in.  Both take aim at the Vets' Chimera and wrecks it with very little effort.  Both hop back into cover.

I take the last wounds off the Riptide as it goes down until a hail of mass rending attacks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Picture Caption: Hey!  I almost made all my payments on that!

--------------------------
Turn 3: Genestealers/IG
--------------------------
"Sir!  Sir!"

Tapping his hand against the wall of the tank, the Baron snarled in frustration.

"I swear Guardsman, if this is the Xenos again..."

"Yes...  Yes, sir, they're back!"

"How many this time?"

"I...  I don't know, sir.  At least five."

The Baron shook his head.  "Five, now.  Tell Saigo to get going and take care of them."

"Yes, sir, but... But, Lady Saigo's Chimera is on fire, sir!"

"Fah.  Women drivers," scowled the Baron, "Never should have given them the option in the first place.  Does she have any idea how much these things cost?"

"But, but..."

"Now tell her to take care of things before the locals notice.  Can't have them go thinking we're not taking these matters seriously."

------------------------------------------------

Ra'Oh and the Stealers go BACK TO THE SHADOWS (swish!).

And... well, as we have a bonus on our side, almost everyone comes in.
I surround the Eldar, but only the Magus' squad of Neophytes get to charge.
The Baron's Master of Ordinance tries to drop a pie-plate on their head and hits ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

Mass shooty goes out, ripping apart the Jetbikes with a modicum of effort, and then the Magus runs in on the Warp Spiders, who took a few casualties but had managed to ALMOST jump out of range.  However, as my cultists have taken up pretty much all of the available space, there's not much room to go anywhere...

As they are within range of the Iconsward, they are S4, which is enough to chop apart almost all of the Spiders, but the Exarch hits and run out of there.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Picture Caption: I'll be back.  ...  No, really this time.

----------------
Turn 3: Taudar
----------------

Farseer Illandra gasped in surprise.

What happened?  This was not the way the Fates had decreed things would play out.  The Wraithknight had fallen.  The Tau had failed.  And the Genestealers were running amok.

She would stand this no more.

Summoning her vast powers, she bent the Runes of Fate until they almost broke and then twisted the minds of the Mon'keigh until she and her fellows were all but invisible.  Let them try to harm her.  Eldar blood had been spilled and their loss would be repaid in kind.

-----------------------------------------------------
Only the Farseer and her bikes come in.
She comes in on the left and gets off Invisibility and Fortune.
Mass fire takes apart most of the Iconsward's squad, but I don't have much to worry as the ICs automatically pass their Look out sir rolls (that's a GREAT rule).

The Bikes glide into the forest and settle down.

The Exarch hunkers down out of sight.
---------------------------------------------------------

Picture Caption: The Forests will keep us safe!

Turn 4: Genestealers/IG

"Hey, Psyker, you want to see this?"

Primaris Psyker Natalia was still coughing and gagging behind the ruined Chimera.  The Eldar had come out of nowhere and had destroyed the tank with hardly any effort.  Then they had disappeared.  What was going on?

She staggered out and squinted across the battlefield.  There was... something out there.  Shadowy figures were crowded around a patch of forest.  Then, with lightning speed, the creatures leapt forward and inhuman screams filled the air punctuated with high-pitched yells.

"What... What are those things?"

"Dog-bears," smirked Lady Saigo, "Eldar should not hide in trees.  Bears like trees."

--------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, the Stealers come in.
Do they ever.  I like to think they unconsciously come in a heart shape around the forest containing the Farseer.
The rest of the Cult goes back (yes) to the SHADOWS.

Ra'Oh and company then charge in, taking basically no wounds and then DEVOUR the bikes.  Apparently, hitting only on 6's means little when you have over EIGHTY attacks.

The Farseer is the only one to survive, but does no wounds back and tries to run.  However, you can't run TOO far against genestealers.

Picture Caption: Surprise!

Picture Caption: NOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

--------------------
Turn 4: Taudar
--------------------
The last of the Bikes come in and zoom in over to the left on my side of the board.  The Warp Spiders drop in and take out the Baron's Chimera.  They run-jump out of sight behind some ruins.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Picture Caption: Urk, well, now I guess we'll all have to walk home...

-------------------------
Turn 5: Genestealers/IG
-------------------------
The Cults team up on both small squads, with Genestealers on the Spiders and well... pretty much everyone on the Jetbikes.
Mass shooty destroys the Jetbikes.  The Spiders charge in and ALMOST take apart all the Spiders.  The Exarch hits and runs out though.
-------------------------------------------------------

Picture Caption: CONSUME.

-------------------
Turn 5: Taudar
-------------------
Down to two models, my opponent tips his king.

-------------------------------------
Result: Genestealers/IG VICTORY!
-------------------------------------

Post-Game Thoughts: Wow.  Just wow.
I can't believe how overpowering these guys are.  Mobility means nothing if your opponent can literally be anywhere.  Weapon range also means nothing.  And assaulting from reserve is just... sick.  I can't believe how dangerous rending is.  I used to laugh at the rule as I had really only seen it on things like Assault Cannons, but wow, can Stealers just take EVERYTHING apart.

Well, let's do this the old-fashioned way:

1.  The First Curse: Grade A
Patriarch and 20 Genestealers
Hell.  yes.  The Genestealers are amazingly powerful now sturdy with 5++ cover saves, stealth and four attacks on the charge.  With the Patriarch, they all have furious charge and they are BEASTLY if buffed.  Endurance made them monstrous.  The very ability to Return to the Shadows meant that they could appear anywhere.  Really good, if a bit pricey.

2.  Magus:  Grade B
Meh.  He tried mind bullets, but not much was done.  I also should have tried using more abilities, but it really wasn't needed.

3.  Icon Insward: Grade A
I know he's just a banner bearer, but boy what the difference getting +1FNP and Furious charge is.  Even the smallest of units can be deadly.

4.  Acolytes: Grade B
Solid, cheap, and deadly.  Can appear anywhere, harass anything and able to get anywhere out of reserve.  Granted they are easily shot to shreds, but if you go MSU with them, the enemy only has SO many bullets.

5.  Neophytes: Grade B
Guardsmen with different guns.  BUT, with the ability to redeploy anytime, anywhere, they just become nasty.  Cheap as chips and as you can refill your unit with 1d6 models, even having a few models left can make a difference!  Seismic guns are cool too.

6.  Hybrids: Grade B
Didn't get to do TOO much with them, but they were my backup anti-MC option if all else failed.

7.  Genestealers: Grade B
Not in the Curse they're kind of mediocre.  Good, but in small sizes, it's hard to justify the increased cost vs Acolytes.

8.  The Baron: Grade B
Love the reserve shenanigans with the Officer, as it's a BIG difference to have reserves only pop in on a 5+.  The Master of Ordinance was less stellar, but as my opponent tended to hug cover to avoid the First Curse ball o' doom, I can see him having his uses.

9.  Natalia/Primaris Psyker: Grade B
More of a battery for the Patriarch, but still pretty decent.  I suspect if the game was closer, she'd be as good.

10.  Lady Saigo/Veterans: Grade B
They held the line.

Really like the Genestealers.  Just wish the official models weren't so expensive.  But, it does spark the many, many options for conversions.  I can see Guardsmen and Ork models easily modeled up...

So, yes, Ra'Oh and crew will be back!

-----------------
Epilogue
-----------------

"Baron!  Baron!"

Natalia ran over to the scowling Baron.  Panting, she skidded to a stop.

"Did... did you see... Did you see what happened?"

"Of course," said the Baron, "Inconceivable."

"Yes, yes, exactly...  I..."

"Apologize?  Hmmph.  I suppose I will accept."

"Apolo...  What?"

"Destroying Imperial property.  Gross Incompetence.  Endangering local wildlife."

"No, no," waved Natalia, trying to regain her senses.  "There's something...  Something else..."

"Yes, yes," snarled the Baron, as he turned on his heel.  "Whatever excuses you want to come up with, Psyker.  Lucky for you the Xenos were more pathetic.  Tell Saigo that if she and her crew fix up both tanks I will leave this out of my report.  Emperor be praised my portrait was undamaged otherwise we would be having a very different conversation."

And before she could say more, Baron von Oberheim stalked away.  It was good that he was here.  Otherwise nothing of import would ever get done.

"By the Tau'va, she's alive!"

Shas'vre Shi'ur muttered something as she was pulled free from the wreckage of her Riptide.  She kept repeating the words as she was loaded onto the emergency shuttle.  And didn't stop even after she was put under sedation.  The Earth Caste tending to her didn't put much stock in her words likely borne from hallucination.

After all, what kind of Ethereal had four arms?
-------------------------------------------------------------
BigToof Points:

Mabbz

:o

Wait, those models in the enemy deployment zone were all yours!? I was talking about you getting tabled turn one because I thought all you had on the board was the chimeras, and everything else was in reserve!

Actually... how did they all get there? Your warlord trait only affects the patriarch and his unit, so everyone else should have either been rolling on the cult ambush table or infiltrating. They're too close for a normal infiltrate, so did all those units roll a 3+ on the table?

How did you get their reserves down to 5+? It's 3+ normally, and the OotF is just a -1...

Also, I didn't think you got cover saves against overwatch, but having double checked my rulebook, I can't see anything that specifies that.

Anyway, I like the look of the cultists, and if I had the money I'd be tempted to get them as allies for my guard. I might do it anyway, since I can just do a load of conversions (I'd want to use counts as anyway, since I'd rather have them represent IG guerilla warfare specialists than have my guard fall prey to the Tyranids)

Fluff was amusing, athough I'm a little disappointed that Natalia didn't even get to see Illandara. But I guess that's what happens when your allies can be pretty much anywhere, and at least we got to see the Baron being hilarious.

BigToof

Quote from: Mabbz on November 05, 2016, 10:24:51 AM
:o

Wait, those models in the enemy deployment zone were all yours!? I was talking about you getting tabled turn one because I thought all you had on the board was the chimeras, and everything else was in reserve!

Actually... how did they all get there? Your warlord trait only affects the patriarch and his unit, so everyone else should have either been rolling on the cult ambush table or infiltrating. They're too close for a normal infiltrate, so did all those units roll a 3+ on the table?

How did you get their reserves down to 5+? It's 3+ normally, and the OotF is just a -1...

Also, I didn't think you got cover saves against overwatch, but having double checked my rulebook, I can't see anything that specifies that.

Anyway, I like the look of the cultists, and if I had the money I'd be tempted to get them as allies for my guard. I might do it anyway, since I can just do a load of conversions (I'd want to use counts as anyway, since I'd rather have them represent IG guerilla warfare specialists than have my guard fall prey to the Tyranids)

Fluff was amusing, athough I'm a little disappointed that Natalia didn't even get to see Illandara. But I guess that's what happens when your allies can be pretty much anywhere, and at least we got to see the Baron being hilarious.

Thanks for the reply Mabbz!
Glad you liked the rep and the fluff.
The Genestealer Insurrection Formation gives your opponent -1 to reserves and +1 to yours, so coupled with OotF, you can essentially double dip the -1 to make your opponent come in on 5+.  That's essential for double/triple teaming your opponent.
Sorry if I didn't make it clear, but I basically was able to get a lot of my units in on the 3+ (the important ones anyway), but did have some 1's and 2's (that's why there's units scattered around here and there in the pictures).
More reason why I think MSU is going to be the way to go with the units.
I totally support using counts-as.  Mutants, combat specialists, or other random rabble are all great ideas.
Orks are hella jealous for all of this assault goodness. :)
I hope the stealers change the meta though.  Eldar does need some kind of challenge to their current lists, and the GSC dissolves jetbikes if you give them half a chance.
Makes tactics actually important!
I've got another game scheduled up.  Space Marines this time.  :)

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz

Well, that was an astonishing game, that was unlike anything I've ever seen.

Let me try and get this straight; you can deploy your army anywhere on the board, go back into reserve at any time, some of them can charge straight from reserve and you've got cover saves on everybody. Wow. I'm sitting here trying to work out how I'd even counter that, maybe flyers or heavy armour.

Maybe it didn't help him to have so few models, maybe a large number of Astartes with their 3+ armour will slow you down a little next game but even then I wouldn't put my money on them.

I'm glad that you've got the Imperial Guard there, mainly because the fluff wouldn't be as good without them. I'm having trouble remembering Natalia from way back when but something tells me she was a good one to read. Obviously the Baron and Saigo are unforgettable, but I wonder just how long it'll be before they realise who their new comrades are, that should shake things up a bit. Hopefully we'll see the return of Lady Jenna at some point, even if she's just in the fluff at the start or end of a game.

Interesting battle, great fluff.

Job's a good un.

BigToof

Quote from: Cammerz on November 06, 2016, 02:01:55 PM
Well, that was an astonishing game, that was unlike anything I've ever seen.

Let me try and get this straight; you can deploy your army anywhere on the board, go back into reserve at any time, some of them can charge straight from reserve and you've got cover saves on everybody. Wow. I'm sitting here trying to work out how I'd even counter that, maybe flyers or heavy armour.

Maybe it didn't help him to have so few models, maybe a large number of Astartes with their 3+ armour will slow you down a little next game but even then I wouldn't put my money on them.

I'm glad that you've got the Imperial Guard there, mainly because the fluff wouldn't be as good without them. I'm having trouble remembering Natalia from way back when but something tells me she was a good one to read. Obviously the Baron and Saigo are unforgettable, but I wonder just how long it'll be before they realise who their new comrades are, that should shake things up a bit. Hopefully we'll see the return of Lady Jenna at some point, even if she's just in the fluff at the start or end of a game.

Interesting battle, great fluff.

Job's a good un.

Hi Cammerz,
Thanks for the kind words.
Sorry for the late reply but there's been a lot going on internationally that makes many of my friends... disquieted, let's say.
But, to more on-point business, yes, they're a very different army as you can make them fade and then redeploy multiple times a battle, but that's because the cult units are so very, very fragile.
I've got a more (if you can believe it) horde-based army coming, and I'm interested to see how Marines (and I think a Knight?) will take them on.

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Deraj

I love your battle reports, but let me just say... that genestealer codex is hard as nails. I've gotten to play it a good half dozen times now and it always feels like an edge of the seat up hill battle to play against it. Genestealers are mean, but these new ones are just insane, couple that with 'into the shadows' and they're truly something to face.

BigToof

BAT REPS LIVE!

I mean... thanks for the reply :)
Glad to see that others are playing Stealers, and I'm having a blast playing around with them.

Let me know if you like them as I've been trying to get a feel if they're interesting for other people or if I should switch armies.
I don't have many "real" GSC models yet, but I have been hankering for modeling up my Orks and IG as a mish-mash cult army.
I was sort of using them as a placeholder assuming that a Sisters Codex would hit, but that sadly looks unlikely...
So, more GSC then?

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Deraj

Genestealer cult are fun to play against if you're looking for a fluffy, cool army with random mechanics. If you're looking for a fair game where you can plan your tactics in advance? Then it's a damned nightmare. (I am an iron warriors player, by the numbers tactics are kind of my bread and butter.) That said they're always surprising and interesting, so... yeah, fun is probably the right word. If you start throwing out bad words like meta... then things get a little weird. On bad roll seems like it can sink the whole army, so that's really scary.

BigToof

Nod.
Completely agree, and that's part of what's been keeping me from going in feet-first on them.
I've been trying to find a way to mitigate some of the RNG, and I've been having some success.
Still, I'm actually kind of glad that they aren't this auto-win kind of formation, and it feels great having the ability to always try and claw your way out of a hole or what not.
Kind of like Orks.
BTW, have you tried out anything new with the Iron Warriors new rules?  Tank-hunters on everything sounds pretty good...

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Deraj

I've tooled around with the Iron Warrior rules in small ways, but not full bore. I don't like the warband formation that you need to run them as full iron warriors, but rerolling artillery and fearless aren't enough for me to care. What I did care about I have used though; Oblits as troops makes me happy, just because... while they may not be the greatest thing in the world, they make me happy. The free 6+ fnp is cool, just a slight upgrade that's barely there in the back of my mind, the relics don't do anything for me. The Iron Warrior things that do get me excited are the formations 'fist of the dark gods' and... I forget the name of the walker formation at the moment.

The 2000 I ran recently was along the lines of 2 warsmiths, a hellbrute with 2 powerfists, a naked defiler, forgefiend with hades autocannons and 1 plasma cannon, maulerfiend with lasher tendrils, 3 predators (2 with full lascannons, 1 with heavy bolter and autocannon,) 3 vindicators, a land raider, a level 2 sorceror with geo...not mancy [mortis?], and 3 obliterators. It's moronic. Some people would call it cheesy, some would say it shouldn't do anything. What it did was look cool and put fluff before function. The other thing it did was table a guard army, a tau army (with a riptide, but no stormsurge), and a pure khorne demon army. There's nothing in the army that is easy to kill, nothing for antihorde weapons to shoot at, hell, nothing really for bolters to shoot at, and anything that does survive is going to send out some punishment.

So in summation: USRs? Meh, I could take them or leave them. Formations? Not game breaking, but certainly fun.