News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Working with Resin

Started by Irisado, June 13, 2019, 09:58:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irisado

I find myself with doubts and queries about working with resin infantry models (not GW), which I hope that those of you who have experience of working with resin may be able to help me to answer.

The main issue that I have is safety.  The instructions that the company which makes the models provides indicate that a safety mask should be worn when working with resin and to dampen any tools.  This is to protect lungs against the effects of the dust.  Does anyone have any suggestions of the sort of mask that I could use?  Does anyone use a respirator mask for modelling which they could recommend?  Are there any other safety procedures that I need to follow?  Is the dust also harmful to the eyes?  I'm not planning to do much, or any if I can avoid it, sanding or filing, I will just need to remove flash with scalpel.

I don't have an ideal space for working with resin.  It will probably be my parent's kitchen table while I am on holiday during the summer, which is where I usually do my modelling with plastic figures, but obviously this table is used for eating, so iy will need to be properly cleaned.  I assume that the best way to clean up any resin dust is to use a damp cloth or are there more effective methods?
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Narric

A Standard fabric dust mask should be suitable, along with ensuring your workstation is well ventilated, especially if you're using super glue for any assembly. It really only becomes a problem if you're heavy edits, like sawing, sanding and so on, but if removing flash is all you're doing then the amount of resin dust produced shouldn't be significant.

There is probably an element of how hard the resin itself is. From what I remember, the softer Finecast resin GW use(used?) doesn't produce dust, where as harder resin such as what Zealot Miniatures and Anvil Industry use in my experience do generate small amounts.

A damp cloth should be sufficient to clear what resin dust is produced.

Will we be seeing a project log for these minis? :3

Irisado

Thank you for the tips.  The resin in question is an unknown quantity, as it is for figures for Fallout Wasteland Warfare.  There will not be any filing, sawing, or sanding, so far as I can see, as I'll be working 32mm infantry, for the most part, and certainly to start with.

The standard of my painting, and the fact that I only have time for painting and modelling during the summer holiday period, means that a project log is only a tentative possibility.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente