News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Narrics' Fandex Ideas & Entries Thread

Started by Narric, February 18, 2013, 11:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Posted the finished Codex on my blog: http://daemonfiregames.blogspot.co.uk/p/blog-page_2.html

Looking forward to hearing some Critique.

I'm struggling with Grey Knights. Exc rules, the list itself is balanced, I think, now. But now I'm putting special Rules into the mixed, it feels like its just going OP again :-\

Wargamer

Grey Knights cannot, nor should ever be a balanced army. I remember back when they came out a single squad could cost 1,200 points or more. For five models. That is just how nails Grey Knights are meant to be!

You can't make an army out of that. Grey Knights just don't belong in normal 40K.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Narric

Most of what I've done has been in attempts to scale them down from what they currently are.

240pts per model seems increadibly high. What did they even get for that many pts? Terminator armour, AP1 Force Weapon and each model is a Level 4 Psyker? (equivalent to todays rules for psykers)

Wargamer

Pretty much. They were all powerful Psykers and could channel Psi-points into their halberds. Each point gave +1 Str and -1 Save. You could basically waltz up to an enemy character and declare everyone in your squad was Str10 with -6 to saves. Plus 40k didn't have invun's then - only Psykers got the equivalent of an invun.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Narric

Had updated this before the downtime, but it doesn't hurt to repost for feedback, especially as I have a second draft to bring forward ^_^

First Draft:
http://sta.sh/0o9ldjgy19w

Second Draft:
http://fav.me/d7pttrr

Changelog (Draft the 2nd)
- Changed "Ecclesiarchy Tempestus Scions" to "Adeptus Arbites."
- Begun writing in new special characters.
- Grammer and spelling adjustments, and special rule re-wording in places.
- Including wargear that was previously missed, and removal of excess/obselete wargear.
- There are some rules that are still work in progress with this draft, and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Narric

Speaking to a friend of Salamuts gave me some inspiration and feedback to work some more on the Sister of Batle, and so I present my third draft, sitll very much a work in progress, with only a few extra bits from the previous time.

Draft the Third:
http://fav.me/d852p3a

Changelog
    - Small changes to wording of Acts of Faith and some of the actual acts of faith.
    - Introduction of the Order of the Valkyria, and the Canoness of the Valkyria HQ option.
    - Inclusion of Hand Flamers as a Ranged Weapon option.
    - Small changes to upgrade options of certain units.

Order of the Valkyria
This was included due to inspriation from the now finished webcomic series, Wolf and Sister, found here: http://space-wolves-grey.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/wolf-sister.html
The story is compelling and excellently written, and features artwork from NachoMon
I have used it as the backstory behind the Order of the Valkyria, and hopefully others will be able to use it as inspiration for most excellent Wolf Sister models for their games of 40k.

Thanks for reading, and don't forget to send me feedback, especially if you have played with the Fandex. 7th edition gameplay would be greatly appreciated, as I have yet to pick up 7th at all.

Narric

Next draft of my Fandex Adepta Sororitas. This time around I was mainly making changes to units whilst adding in some new ones.

http://fav.me/d85lw03

Changelog (Draft #4)
- Addition of "Armour of Faith" and "Artificer Armour".
- Formatting and layout changes.
- Change of Sororitas Characters to majority having Armour of Faith as standard.
- Canoness of the Valkyria made into a customisable character. Still retains Unique Character status.
- Arbites Command Squad introduced.
- Options adjusted in Adeptus Arbites unit.
- Introduction of Commander Javeretus Dread.
- Introduction of Sanctorum Exorcist, and Sanctorum Exorcist Launcher.
- Introduction of the Condemnor Crossbolt.
- Imperial Defenders Order Trait adjusted.
- Introduction of the Retribution Battery Teams and Retributor Sister Oculus.
- I think I may have missed a few things.....

BigToof

I like it Narric!

Quite a bit of work, and it really shows.

Do you consider maybe giving them a special formation or two?

That seems to be all the rage now.

BTW, loved that Sister and Wolf comic.  So sad it's over but it had a hella ending.

I may just have to ally my Sisters and Wolves together now that you bring it up (heavens knows my Wolves need it!).

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Narric

I currently only have the Chaos Space Marine codex as a reference point, and truth be told I have been out of most circulation when it comes to most anything to do with 40k these days. I mainly go by what others say, and assemble this external experience with my own sense of direction to produce what I have here.

And mostly I stick to my personal preferences, which veer away from mass "Special Formations" and the like. I liked the unique characters of 5th and 6th which gave subtle changes to the way the army worked to achieve new tactics, such as taking Haemonculi to have Wracks as Troops, and similar. Special Formations again rely on first hand experience with the army, which I lack, so is another limitation on what I can produce.

I believe a friend of Salamut is wanting to playtest my work, and if he succeeds it would be one of the few times I've ever had constructive feedback from actual playtesting my fandexi have recieved :P

BigToof

That's really kind of him.

If he gets something up, I would love to see it written up in a Batrep!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Mabbz

Following our game yesterday, I took a closer look at the Exorcist. First up, I'm sticking with my opinion that S5 AP4 on the frag missiles is too much. 5/5 or 4/4 wouldn't be so bad, but as is it's a bit over the top.

Also, 125pts? That seems too cheap for something that can potentially threaten anything and has AV13. The random fire rate makes it less reliable, but it's still pumping out an average of 3.5 shots per turn and is pretty survivable. Is there a reason it's not AV12?

Having said that, I think the sanctorum launcher is overpriced. It's krak missiles aren't as good, it's frags are only a little better and it gains some flakk missiles, but it fire less shots on average and costs 55pts. Granted the constant rate of fire makes it more reliable, but I can honestly say I'd never even consider getting it for that price. 35pts would be closer, although I'm still not sure.

Narric

I've done it as S4 AP5, as this is a Vehicle mounted weapon system exclusively, rather than just the same systemn as what Infantry use.

125pts is what the official Exorcist is listed as. The launcher for that is still 48" S8 AP1, Heavy D6. It just lacks the Frag option. Its AV values again are official codex stats. I ain't changing that, becuase it could drastically change how the unit survives and is used.

I set the 55pt price tag for the reliability of shots, (now) better frag, and the adition of the Flakk option, which is something the Sister do need with Fliers becoming a common Codex entry. I did uhm and arh about including Extra Armour to the Sanctorum, but the official model doesn't have it so I didn't.

Will also be adjusting a few other aspects of the Fandex. And of course removing witchcraft.

Narric

Got an idea and throwing this into here so I don't clutter the forum with my dumb ideas.

Va'vre'Kauyon
Path of the Noble Hunter

Ideology: Though the galaxy is torn from within and without by war and chaos, Commanders and Warriors alike still see honour in the foes they face across they galaxy. Through this observation, a new approach to bringing more races under the banner of the Tau'va began to form, spearheaded by veterans from numerous conflicts across Tau borders. Sometimes shear force and misdirection would not sway an enemy, instead appealing to an enemies sense of honour can be enough.

Unique Rules
Challenge of Honour
During the shooting phase, once per turn per unit a model with this special rule may declare a challenge to an enemy unit within 6" of the unit.
If the challenge is accepted, the Squad leaders from the respective are placed base to base between the units. The squad Leader are both treated as charging. Neither unit may charge, or be the target of shooting or another charge until the combat is resolved. The Squad Leaders resolve combat as normal during the combat step. The pile in step can not move models from the respective units within 1" of an enemy model.
If the Challenge is declined, the unit performs a shooting attack as normal, but may re-roll failed to hit rolls of 1.
A unit that is fleeing cannot issue a challenge.

Mon'wern'a
It takes many years of constant combat experience for a Tau to achieve fast enough reflexes to dodge even the most fatal blows of an opponent.
When in close combat, a model with this rule gains a Reflex save of 6+. When rolling this save recieves a +1 modifier for each point the attacker's toughness is higher to the Model. A D6 roll of one is always a fail.
E.G. A model with this rule in close combat with a toughness 4 Space Marine has a 5+ Reflex save, and a 4+ reflex save when in combat with a Toughness 5 Tyranid.

Ka'por
The Ka'Por, or Fluid Strike as humans call it, arose as warriors who survived close combat began to instinctively identify openings for retaliation. The skill nearly died out as quickly as it surfaced, as hot-headed fire warriors over challenged their skill. It can be taught, but only extended combat can refine a warrior's senses to strike.
When in combat, if an attacker rolls a 1 when rolling to hit against a model with this rule, the model with this rule automatically attacks and automatically hits back, rolling to wound simultaneously with the original attack.

Image credit: https://www.facebook.com/MechaFront/Unique Wargear
Carbine Buckler
The Carbine Buckler was designed when a need for a better close range weapon was identified. While it does not directly improve a warrior's survivability, it does allow for greater offensive power when up close.
RangeStrengthAPType
12"55Assault 2
The Carbine Buckler confers +1 Attack in close combat.

Shimmerblade
The Shimmerblade is designed for rapid draw from its sheath into a flurry of precise attacks. Through the use of lasers, its cutting edge is atoms thick.
RangeStrengthAPType
-User5Melee
A model equipped with a Shimmerblade makes two attacks at Initiative 7, in addition to it normal attacks. If the model charged into combat this turn, in instead makes three attacks at Initiative 7.

Unique Units
Master of the Path                               85Points - HQ choice for a Tau Army.
The Master guides their warrior students through battle. they do not hold the same
   WSBSSTWIALdSvUnit TypeUnit Composition
Master of the Path4433343104+Infantry1 (Unique)

Wargear:

• Shas Armour
  • Shimmerblade
  • Carbine Buckler
  • Photon Grenades
  • EMP Grandes
Special Rules:

• Independant Character
  • Challenge of Honour
  • Mon'wern'a
  • Ka'por
Path of the Noble Hunter
Models in XV armour gain a Power Sword (Str:User, AP:3), but cost 15pts extra. XV8 Battlesuits may only select two weapon systems.

Gonna cut it short as its 2am when I write this.

Naoki the curseblood99

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Interesting concept overall. I've been out of the game for a while so I'm hazy on points costs but he looks a little on the cheap side for what he does. 7 attacks before the Ka'Por rule is definitely too much. Space Wolves and Tyranids struggle to hit that number of attacks, and when they do it costs significantly more than 85 points. I know he's not massively durable at T3 and a 4+, but that's why the inevitable bodyguards are there. :P

Unless point costs have changed drastically since I last played I would say 95pts to start with.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http