News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

February Tau Rumours

Started by Narric, February 03, 2013, 12:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicop76

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on February 05, 2013, 04:46:44 PM
It's still pretty pointless though because its weapons skill and attacks are likely going to be through the floor. WS 3 at best and maybe 3 attacks tops. You would be wasting what seems like a devestating amount of mobile firepower.

They show the rumored stats. The rumared stats say this thing has very similar stats like a shaso minus t8, etc. Not saying depending on how it's armed to go rushing in combat.

However with what I see so far you can walk this thing up the middle of the field and dare anyone to assault it. If you assault you won't get the +2 invul in combat, but you can brace for assault getting the +2 invul. Also if locked in combat you can easily get the +2 invul.

It's rumored stats on a +2 invulnerable is highly unbelievable. You have to remember that the weapon systems haven't really been mention, but so far without weapons it's reall realy hard to kill. Ws 4 is too good and even 3 is good enough. Ws 2 is still good until you go against ws 5 or higher.

I think Tau should not get a giant suit that is a MC in my opinion and join the Happy Knights band wagon.

Narric

Just a thought.

Didn't GW buy out the company that made this (Or similar)?:

IF they did, maybe this is what they're making ito the codex?

Chicop76

Quote from: Narric of 4th Sphere on February 05, 2013, 05:56:18 PM
Just a thought.

Didn't GW buy out the company that made this (Or similar)?:

IF they did, maybe this is what they're making ito the codex?

You mean Chapter House studios which is still around. I may be wrong that that model come from them, but Chapter House is still alive.

knightperson

Wow, who opened the floodgates??? All kinds of stuff being rumored!

A 13/13/12 flyer is pretty hard to believe, unless MAYBE it's the Tau version of a drop pod and has minimal weaponry.

The vespid stormtalon also seems kinda wacky, but vespid are flyers in the first place, so maybe they just get Flying Monstrous Creature movement or something. Swarms of vector-striking vespid would be fun.

I'm not sure how I feel about an ubersuit. The image of a massive, bipedal machine striding through the battlefield laying waste to everything in its path is appealing, but it sounds a lot more Space Marine than Tau. I like crisis suits because they're sneaky, always ducking behind cover so you can't get a clean shot at them. We'll see what they actually come up with.

I'm happy to see mention of the Great Knarloc and the psychic defense, although details are scarce. More Kroot options sound like fun.

Unsure about the super-krootox, and I really don't like the (hopefully temporary name) krootonne. Seriously, something that rhymes with crouton? Again, we'll see what they actually come up with.
Cured of what I'm suffering from, but suffering from the cure.

The Man They Call Jayne

If anything a huge Mecha makes MORE sense for Tau than anyone else because that is what Tau DO. Everyone else has bigger and bigger tanks. The Tau have A tank and swathes of battlesuits. I don't want anything even close to a titan, but something like a dakka heavy wraithlord is certaily plausable.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

InsaneTD

Narric

I haven't checked Naftka recently. The last I saw, was a compilation post of all the previous Tau Rumours.

In fact, looking through the archives, that was the last mention of Tau, 11th Feb.

After that, its all posts relating to Deamons and the Flyers supplement, and contradictory posts about how the hobby is great, but on the decline.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: knightperson on February 04, 2013, 07:31:19 PMKroot hounds with the option of assault grenades.

Kroot Gnarloc rider cavalry (whether they're actually cavalry or classed something else is less important, but I want mounted kroot!)

The Great Gnarloc for our Monstrous Creature since we're about the only race that doesn't have either a Monstrous Creature or a Walker option.

Point cost adjustments, of course.

A buff for rail weapons: either the ability to hit multiple targets or a penalty to the cover saves.

I would like pulse rifles to have a chance at defeating AV12+ vehicles, whether that's with the addition of Tank Hunter, something like the old Necron Gauss effect, Rending, Strength 6, or whatever. Or another idea, what about an alternate firing mode that is a Heavy weapon with higher strength? Maybe each squad only carries one "hot-shot" clip per game.

Seeker missiles and markerlights need clean-up. And especially need a reversal of the stupid ruling that they need 6's to hit a flyer. Seekers should also have an area effect option like a frag missile.

Current Special Issue gear should be an option on ALL shas'vre and above, or at least one per squad rather than one per army.

Some kind of psychic defense even if we don't get our own psykers.
If Hormagaunts don't get assault grenades then why should Kroot hounds?

Why do you need Cavalry? It's the Tau Empire codex, not the Kroot Mercs list.

Tau don't need, and shouldn't have a Monstrous Creature. It doesn't really fit for them. A Walker could be a decent idea, if implemented properly, but then again you have suits, so what would it do that various existing units don't already cover?

Point cost adjustments are almost all the Tau codex needs apart from a flier, some of the shiny new rules and the Skyray to hit fliers on BS, or on a 2+ after markerlighting. :P

Buffs for Rail weapons? Are you Fething kidding me? They're already "10 with a 6ft range and get a +3 to damage open topped vehicles. I seriously hope you're trolling now.

Pulse rifles taking out AV12? On what justification? You already have the best default weapon in the game withthe highest strength, longest range and at least average AP.

No, Seekers should not have a Frag option, they're Hunter Killer equivalents, used to take out armour or air cover, not infantry.

So you want squad leaders to be able to take Cyclic Ion Blasters etc? don't think so somehow. (assmuning I've got my Tau ranks correct, if not what level is Shas'vre?)

As for psychic defence, there's this new rule that everyone gets called Deny the Witch. If you don't have Psykers that's all you get. It's all Dark Eldar get, it's all Necrons get. There is no reason Tau should be any different.

In short, stop fanboying and start thinking balanced and sensible.

Now that's dealt with, on to the rumours.

The flier, frankly, no. Unless that thing costs 300+pts then no. I know many of you will point to the beardy filth that is the Vendetta, but using a broken unit to justify your own is sucha poor argument that it's not worth trying. Fliers are absurd already, AV13, plus saves is just pathetic.

The "Uber-suit" is an even worse idea. "Oh dear, I'm locked in combat. Ok, so I can't move or shoot? Yay! 2+ invulnerable." No. No fucking way. If those stats are even remotely accurate then it has a BS5 plasma weapon, which ignores cover and it's tougher than a Carnifex or a Trygon with a better armour save, and it gets an invulnerable save. And it can take ablative wounds in the form of drone support. Absurd doesn't even begin to cover it. :-\

The Elite suit that's apparently getting included with the 18" range weapons. What exactly counts as "high toughness"? If that thing is T6 there's going to be hell to pay.

Why do suits get an automatic bonus to Deny The Witch exactly? They're still Tau. They're no different to Firewarriors other than more battlefield experience.

BS4 Firewarrior option is completely unnecessary. They could, potentially, have an Elite unit with BS4, I really don't see the need for their core units to be BS4 when they're already packing the best gun and decent armour.

Markerlight changes I quite like. Much simpler, more balanced. Being able to remove cover always annoyed the hell out of me.

If half of this is true then I really don't want to know how things are going to be in a couple of years time. :-\
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

InsaneTD

I'd just like to point out that all Shas'vre and above can already take Spec Issue stuff. Just each piece is one per army. Unless some FAQ I've missed changed that?

I agree with you on most of the wish listing stuff and some of the other things you mentioned. I like the larger amount of kroot, it gives me hope that I can revive the Kroot Merc list I wanted to build.

The new Walkers/bigger suits are putting me off and I hope are bad rumours. A Tau flier with saves isn't unprecedented,  and all have the option now from memory. And we probably will pay through the nose for it, we do with every other vehicle and unless ward has his mits on it, I don't really see that changing. Though the design meta does seem to be lower points cost so people have to buy more.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

I don't have a problem with the flier having a save. All fliers get a 5+ jink anyway. My issue is that it's getting the absurdly high armour, for a flier, AND a save.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

The Man They Call Jayne

A Tau Flier should rock in at 11 10 10 MAYBE 11 11 10. BS3(4). Maybe Supersonic. BSF and the option for a D-Pod. At least 2 Long Barreled Burst Cannons, a TL Missle Pod and a Main Weapon. 170-180 points. Seekers optional.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Charistoph

Quote from: Scout Sergeant Mkoll on February 26, 2013, 02:35:16 PM

Tau don't need, and shouldn't have a Monstrous Creature. It doesn't really fit for them. A Walker could be a decent idea, if implemented properly, but then again you have suits, so what would it do that various existing units don't already cover?

Would this be a bad time to point out that:
A:  It's the Tau EMPIRE codex, not the Tau codex, anymore.  Kroot deserve as much place in it as Inquisitors do in Grey Knights, if not more.

B: They already exist.  Yeah, they're Forgeworld, but that's still official.  They were involved in Taros, and expand the options for the army.

They may not be your cup of tea, but no one's going to force you to take them.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: Charistoph on March 01, 2013, 08:51:35 PM
Quote from: Scout Sergeant Mkoll on February 26, 2013, 02:35:16 PM

Would this be a bad time to point out that:
A:  It's the Tau EMPIRE codex, not the Tau codex, anymore.  Kroot deserve as much place in it as Inquisitors do in Grey Knights, if not more.

B: They already exist.  Yeah, they're Forgeworld, but that's still official.  They were involved in Taros, and expand the options for the army.

They may not be your cup of tea, but no one's going to force you to take them.
A: I'm fairly sure Inquisitors only have 1 slot in the Grey Knights codex, you might want to look up a better example.

B: Forgeworld models may be official, but the rules are far from it for the 40K table. Everyone knows that Forgeworld models are always poorly costed and unbalanced. There's a reason you need your opponent's permission to use any of them. As for providing another option, the Tau should not have combat options. The Tau codex is a ranged codex, they shouldn't get Monstrous Creatures or extra combat options just "because". As I've pointed out, they don't NEED a Monstrous Creature because you have Suits and Tanks with decent armour, there is no role for it to fulfil.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

InsaneTD

Every army now has MCs, or at least will by the time GW has finished the current round of updates. Every army also has cqb units and needs them. It's such a major part of the game that anyone who ignores it entirely will lose most of their games.

Kroot also tend to be the better RANGED option over fire warriors in my experience.

All this is mute though as GW ALWAYS DOES WHAT THEY WANT AND IGNORES SET FLUFF. As is their right as owners of the IP.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Really? What MC do Guard get then? And frankly, combat is close to redundant this edition as I've pointed out countless times because shooting has so much more emphasis this edition in addition to reduced cover etc. And like I said, there is no role for it to fill in the Tau codex. And that's before I go into the retarded ideas for the stats/rules that are posted so far.

As for Kroot being better at range, that's bullshit frankly. Tau get the highest strength basic weapon in the game, with the longest range (normal, and rapid) and at least average AP.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http