News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Questions about Dwarfs

Started by Narric, January 22, 2014, 06:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Really wanting a Fantasy army, and I love the design of these Fallen Dwarves. My main problem is how should I field them?

Obviously if I only use the current line of Fallen Dwarves supplied by Anvil, I am going to be sticking with just Core Units, meaning not much heavy hitting units. This could easily change once IceSword finishes creating more Fallen Dwarf models.

My main problem is how do/should I field the Crossbow regiment? If I go with the Dwarves army book, they'd be Quarrellers, but I have an old PDF produced by GW for Chaos Dwaves, who use a Blunderbuss.

Crossbows are in the WHFB Rulebook, so anyone who plays that can look it up. The Blunderbuss by my document does the following*:
Quote from: Chaos DwarfsA unit with Blunderbusses may move and fire in the same turn. When they shoot they project a "Fire zone" the width of the unit and 12" straight forward. Any model within this is a potential target and is hit on a 4+. The only exceptions are models behind extremely substantial cover such as a hill or a building. Models behind walls or in woods are hit as normal. Hits are resolved at S3 plus 1 per extra rank up to S5. Ranks count if at least 4 wide. A single character in the front rank will not effect the units' fire.

Unfortunately I don't have my copy of the WHFB rulebook, hence this thread.

How does the Blunderbuss compare to the Crossbow?

Another thing to consider is a Chaos Dwarf Warrior unit starts with 10 models, Hand Weapon, Heavy Armour and Shield, with the Blunderbuss being a 3pt upgrade per model and replaces the shield. Only the Warrior unit can take Blunderbusses.

*I am posting this for reference purposes, due to the document I am referencing not being widely known or shared.

Arguleon-veq

There are some newer Chaos Dwarf rules in a the Forge World book Throne of Chaos. They are pretty nice and well balanced actually, id try and get hold of them [im sure you can find them online somewhere...:P].
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Narric

Nothing comes up with my google fu, except I think the experimental rules for Infernal guard.

If to keep it legal o field "Chaos" dwarfs I'd have to use Forge World rules, I'll stick to Regular dwarves, as I have the Army Book in storage.

In addition, i found I have a copy of the Mordheim rulebook that includes the stats for Crossbows on my computer (From back when it was available for download off GW). I assume the stats and SRs haven't changed (much) since Mordheim was released?

Masked Thespian

That Chaos Dwarf army list was designed at the start of 6th edition and is now around 10 years old and two editions out of date.  Do Dwarfs no longer have the option for handguns?  That seems like the easiest fix.
Regards,
MT.
Quote from: Ravager Zero
Freaking mod-ninja. :P

Although, given that you're in Japan now, I suppose that's entirely legit. :shifty:

Arguleon-veq

Yeah just use them as normal Dwarfs then. If you do it does make the choice between Dwarf Handguns and Crossbows pretty difficult. The Handgun is the much better weapon but they are more expensive and the unit that has them doesn't have the option to have Great Weps like the Crossbow units do. So id take a mic of the two, perhaps two units of each.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Narric

New Question Now!!

Can Dwarf "Weapon Runes" be inscribed onto a Crossbow/Handgun?

Masked Thespian

Quote from: Narric on March 18, 2014, 01:53:15 AM
New Question Now!!

Can Dwarf "Weapon Runes" be inscribed onto a Crossbow/Handgun?

I don't have the new book, but in all versions of the older rules (from 4th Edition up until 6th Edition) you were NOT allowed to inscribe runes onto ranged weapons (other than artillery).  Check at the start of the rune descriptions; there's usually a box detailing the 3 or 4 specific rules that you cannot break (such as not having more than one Master Rune on an item, not taking the same Master Rune more than once per army, not taking more than three runes on an item, etc.), and it usually tells you that you cannot put weapon runes on a ranged weapon there.

Having said that, it's entirely possible that GW is allowing it from the newest version of the army book.
Regards,
MT.
Quote from: Ravager Zero
Freaking mod-ninja. :P

Although, given that you're in Japan now, I suppose that's entirely legit. :shifty: