News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Coming Soon? 40k 7th Edition

Started by Narric, April 28, 2014, 11:03:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

I removed Nafka from my Blog Dashboard feed becuase it overan my inbox, but it seems I miss interesting rumours :P

Picking this up from Rathstars Ramblings:
http://rathstarramblings.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/7th-edition-rumours-and-quick-hobby.html

And apparent confirmation from Nafka:
http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/7th-edition-release-date.html

So..... 24th of May for Pre-orders? (31st for release) 7th Edition 40k......

Thoughts?....

The Man They Call Jayne

No way. 6th is barely out yet. Only a couple of years. Doesnt it tend to run 4-5 years before getting a new one?

This seems to put a different spin on it

http://www.talkwargaming.com/2014/04/rip-6th-edition.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Talkwargaming+%28TalkWargaming%29

A 6.5 edition including the rules for Stronghold and Escalation and such like.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Deraj

I'm more surprised (and grateful) that there are no rumors of a new edition of fantasy. I suppose if it isn't broken, fix it, and... 40k is certainly broken. That said I still believe that this rumor is just wishlisting by people who hate the direction 40k has taken.

silverfuge

I think it more likely to be a 6.5ed rather than 7th ed.  Especially since rathatar states hes quoting naftka who is well known for being wrong or kind of right. 6.5 makes more sense.
Gm is God

Charistoph

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on April 28, 2014, 11:06:34 PM
No way. 6th is barely out yet. Only a couple of years. Doesnt it tend to run 4-5 years before getting a new one?

This seems to put a different spin on it

http://www.talkwargaming.com/2014/04/rip-6th-edition.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Talkwargaming+%28TalkWargaming%29

A 6.5 edition including the rules for Stronghold and Escalation and such like.

Well, according to some sources, the Big Rulebooks are being pulled from their Brick & Mortars, and it is unavailable for purchase on the website for most nations.

What that means?  *shrug*  Who can say but them.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Alcibiates

Non-corporate stores that stock GW are still allowed to order and stock the big rulebook (as of yesterday). Typically when the release is getting very close GW will buy back any stock that the shop has of the book. We might be getting close, but nothing is confirmed yet.

Remember the last edition of Fantasy was rather short as well; as soon as daemons were released onto the tournament circuit GW moved quickly to replace the edition. It is very possible this edition will be coming to a close given how broken the tournament circuit is.

Charistoph

Quote from: Alcibiates on April 29, 2014, 04:27:30 PM
Non-corporate stores that stock GW are still allowed to order and stock the big rulebook (as of yesterday). Typically when the release is getting very close GW will buy back any stock that the shop has of the book. We might be getting close, but nothing is confirmed yet.

Remember the last edition of Fantasy was rather short as well; as soon as daemons were released onto the tournament circuit GW moved quickly to replace the edition. It is very possible this edition will be coming to a close given how broken the tournament circuit is.

Fantasy was 4 full years between 7th and 8th Edition, preceeded by 6th which was long enough to revamp every army, introduce Ogres, and do Dwarfs a second time.  This rumor has 40K 6th around 23 months.  Quite a difference. 

I've heard that 3rd Edition got a bit of an update midway through, this could be akin to that.

I've seen rumors that run from, FAQs and minor adjustments included, to a total army build revamp.

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."

Irisado

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on April 28, 2014, 11:06:34 PM

Four years is the standard cycle.  Correction, this is what it became, it wasn't like this until fourth edition was released.

Regarding the issue itself, there's a lot of energy being expended on various sites about whether this is genuine.  I prefer the wait and see until it's confirmed by GW approach.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Alcibiates

Quote from: Charistoph on April 29, 2014, 05:11:12 PM
<snip>
Fantasy was 4 full years between 7th and 8th Edition, preceeded by 6th which was long enough to revamp every army, introduce Ogres, and do Dwarfs a second time.  This rumor has 40K 6th around 23 months.  Quite a difference. 

I've heard that 3rd Edition got a bit of an update midway through, this could be akin to that.

I've seen rumors that run from, FAQs and minor adjustments included, to a total army build revamp.

My consideration is that Fantasy 7th edition was slated to be longer than that--but the daemons army book created significant problems that have to be addressed. The allies rules have created significant problems that need to be addressed, and I do not think that GW addressing a significant issue two years after the issue was unearthed is unreasonable--either I think we are going to get a new rulebook or the update to the rules will make allies no longer legal at lower point levels.

Often we see new editions that are basically just updates to the old edition, which seems reasonable to me. Getting a 7th edition of 40k that is essentially 6.5 seems fine--whether we actually get a 6.5 or a 7 that is 6.5 in essence is yet to be seen, but something big is on the horizon before the end of the month, and that makes me excited :)

Charistoph

Quote from: Alcibiates on April 30, 2014, 01:47:09 PM
My consideration is that Fantasy 7th edition was slated to be longer than that--but the daemons army book created significant problems that have to be addressed. The allies rules have created significant problems that need to be addressed, and I do not think that GW addressing a significant issue two years after the issue was unearthed is unreasonable--either I think we are going to get a new rulebook or the update to the rules will make allies no longer legal at lower point levels.

Often we see new editions that are basically just updates to the old edition, which seems reasonable to me. Getting a 7th edition of 40k that is essentially 6.5 seems fine--whether we actually get a 6.5 or a 7 that is 6.5 in essence is yet to be seen, but something big is on the horizon before the end of the month, and that makes me excited :)

8th Edition did a lot more to the game than just "fix" Daemons.  And if it was just Allies as a problem, a quick Errata would fix that in a jiffy.

No, more is being done if this is a big enough release to replace the book than just a concern about Allies, Escalation, and Stronghold Assault.

Still, I don't want to get caught up in Pancake rumors, those were bad enough last time that I have no interest in repeating the experience (and it was bad at my LGS).  I took the same position as Irisado as with 6th's launch, wait and see, and I see no reason to change that philosophy at this point.

CoffeeGrunt

GW don't release Errata/FAQs to rebalance units. They don't really seem to do anything to balance the game at all...
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Charistoph

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on April 30, 2014, 03:38:49 PM
GW don't release Errata/FAQs to rebalance units. They don't really seem to do anything to balance the game at all...

I'll tell my Command Squads and Bikers that their ability to take Special Weapons was a pipe dream, then.

CoffeeGrunt

You're talking about Dark Angels? That was an error, not a balance issue.

For example, you'll never see them amend points values to a significant degree unless it's in a new Codex.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

Charistoph

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on April 30, 2014, 04:21:42 PM
You're talking about Dark Angels? That was an error, not a balance issue.

For example, you'll never see them amend points values to a significant degree unless it's in a new Codex.

Space Marines, actually.  And they did adjust Helbrutes points, but not significantly.  Black Templars did see some significant changes to their balancing before this codex as well, while missing others, oddly.

The Man They Call Jayne

Wasn't the Hellbrute changed because some codexes said one cost and others said a different cost?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4