News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Very cheap, easy to make jungle terrain.

Started by Arguleon-veq, December 01, 2012, 07:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

A while ago I mind some jungle terrain using the normal method. Which was cutting some thin wood into irregular rounded shapes and then just flocking it and putting some aquarium plants on it. The kind of plants you can get a sheet of from amazon and ebay etc that you just clip off. Ive seen a lot of people suggest this but I just found the results pretty underwhelming, plain and actually fairly pricey [but still WAY cheaper than buying ready made stuff].

There are a lot of fantastic looking aquarium plants that would make great terrain but they are just not cheap.

Now this only really applies to UK posters but I come across some SERIOUSLY cheap, great looking, aquarium plants. They sell them at Quality Save or sometimes Home and Bargain. 2 plants in a pack for
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

BigToof

That looks great!
I've always wanted to do better with terrain, especially as I'm uh... trying not to use model train trees too much (unfortunate substitutes for real stuff).
Keep up the suggestions, especially for us that are less monetarily gifted...

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Thantos

Like the last picture plants! Almost gribbly if you stick half a pistachio nut in the middle (they make for good niddy eggs :P)

Lord Sotek

I rather like 'em!

Out of curiosity, does anyone here live in a wooded area? I do, and I now find myself wondering whether making terrain pieces out of twigs and bits of fuzzy lichen wouldn't be a good idea. Just faff 'em together into plant/tree looking things, glue them to a base, spray on some sort of sealant so they don't decompose on you, and bam.
Quote from: Saulus on March 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my

Railgun Convention

Quote from: Isaac Baraqiel on December 01, 2012, 08:26:12 PM
Out of curiosity, does anyone here live in a wooded area? I do, and I now find myself wondering whether making terrain pieces out of twigs and bits of fuzzy lichen wouldn't be a good idea. Just faff 'em together into plant/tree looking things, glue them to a base, spray on some sort of sealant so they don't decompose on you, and bam.
Oh yeah, lichen makes for brilliant hedges. I can see the tree idea working too. Might try that if I get some more.
So how many crashes have I survived now?

LinnScarlett

Hmm I've been sitting on dropping by the pet store for some aquarium plants, mainly to spruce up the basing of my Catachan a little bit. Mainly by picking up some cool looking plants whose leaves and perhaps small flowers I can use, so that they don't have to stand on just gravel and static grass.

The terrain ideas look really nice though!

Bah, I wish I had more display room, my poor Catachan will probably have to do with only a few pieces and a jungle backdrop.  :shifty:
I need more time to do the Emperor's work!

You can read my stuff on 2S's Fluff and Stories.

Or, you can come visit my author page on Archive of Our Own. WARNING: NC-17

Chocomel

Don't worry Linn, your boys can hide behind my Baneblade. I'm a bigger fan of moss over lichen, but that might be because my type of lichen always dries out and breaks.

LinnScarlett

Quote from: Chocomel on December 19, 2012, 05:34:02 PM
Don't worry Linn, your boys can hide behind my Baneblade. I'm a bigger fan of moss over lichen, but that might be because my type of lichen always dries out and breaks.

... or you just treat it wrongly, sweetheart. Hehe. *flees*

You just want them to 'hide' behind your Baneblade because you don't want to see them.  :facepalm001:

At any rate, I just found another potential plunder pot for jungle - and indeed all sorts of planty terrain - and that was just now, this afternoon, when my younger sister was getting out the christmast stuff to make some of those plant-thing-christmas-decos. And she had these mossy things... and leafy things... and spungy things... and I was just...  Giev!  :'(

They were really cheap, too. In the order of < 5 euro for a pack that would last you several infantry squads and a good few objectives.

She did say I could have her left-overs, and if she went to get more I could tag along/ she'd bring me some. *airpunch*
I need more time to do the Emperor's work!

You can read my stuff on 2S's Fluff and Stories.

Or, you can come visit my author page on Archive of Our Own. WARNING: NC-17