News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Isle of Carandia (RPG)

Started by Narric, November 24, 2018, 09:49:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

Nyx thought for a moment about what Ben was wondering. It wasn't a spell they knew who to cast themselves, but components were usually easy to figure out.
"Sleep spells don't need much, especially for just small groups or small creatures." She stated while perched on a bar stool. "Fine sand, rose petals, crickets. A reanimated horse is beyond what I know..."

Ben considered the information for a moment.
"Carandia is an island, so even a small beach can be a source of sand. Rose Petals can be found in the wild or bought from florists. Crickets to my knowledge would be out in the wild as well, though likely difficult to catch."

"Considering they've been putting Brindle to sleep for each delivery, possibly other Inn keepers as well, they'd need a large or at least steady supply." Hlaine added into the conversation. "Could those volumes be bought without someone noticing a pattern?"

Narric

As group you had tried to find a seller of spell components in West Gemos. Sadly, no one of the group was from this part of Carandia, and so your efforts lead to nought. However, Nyx remembered she had cross the Gemos bay, and vaguely remember a trader who had crickets in various stages of being dead/alive.

For a silver each, you all cross using one of the many pedestrian ferries that crossed between the two cities, guided be chains below the water. The ferryman eyed the gnome suspiciously, but said nothing during the trip.

You all admired the view as the ferry drifted across the water, light splashing of the chains lifting out the water, and clunking of the ferry framework creating a soft beat to the world around you.

Cammerz

As the ferry tossed the mercifully calm bay, Nyx withdrew and unfolded a crude handmade map of East Gemos. Anyone gazing at it over her shoulder would likely fail to decipher it but as they reached the other side and disembarked, she immediately set off purposefully, leading the party in her wake.

The journey was unusual, avoiding a number of main roads in favour of a route through back alleys, along a few side roads which at first glance would appear to be dead-ends and even over the roof of a low building. The rest of the group quickly lost all sense of direction but in a surprisingly short time they found themselves besides an unusual looking shop (which I'm sure the GM will describe).

"Here it is, looks like he's still in business so this could well be it", Nyx paused in thought for a moment, "it might be better if someone else went in and talked to him, I wasn't exactly in his best books when I was last here and we don't want to antagonise him right now".

Mabbz

Ben shrugged. "I'm happy to go in, but if someone wants to try subtlety first then speak up now. I'm just going to ask him outright if someone's been buying lots of crickets"

Ben waited a few days moments in case anyone spoke up.

Mabbz

Ben walked into the shop, and carefully navigated the piles of crates until he reached the trader.

"Hello sir," he began brightly. "Allow me to be upfront. I'm not here to purchase your wares; I'm actually here for information. Some individuals were recently apprehended by the guards for repeatedly casting sleeping spells to break into inns. My friends have been retained to find out who was funding the operation. Since they'd require a steady supply of crickets for the spell, I was hoping you may have noticed any large purchases recently?"

Narric

The wizened storekeeper behind the counter glanced up from her knitting to examine the Cleric.

"Sadly youngin', I'm not a seller of crickets, be they living or dead." She croaked loudly.
"The little bastards are hard to keep while alive, and its best to have them pretty fresh for any kind of spell they're a component for." She seemed to look to the ceiling of the shop, stroking her wrinkly chin.
"Honestly, be easier to keep traps about to catch them, and take just the few you'd need." The elderly woman looks Ben in the eye.
"I haven't heard of anyone using such a spell on a regular basis though, so why do you really want to know?"

[Rolls]
Storekeeper: 11

Mabbz

Ben didn't feel the need to try and hide his puzzlement. "I already said, someone's been cuaght breaking into inns. It's a bit of a strange case really; the people involved weren't stealing anything, as far as I can tell. They were just delivering ale, and yet they felt the need to cast a sleeping spell while doing it. Also, why use an undead horse to deliver ale?" He shook his head. "Well, if your sure you haven't heard anything, I'd better get going. Oh, and have this for your time," Ben added, tossing a silver coin on the counter. "If you do hear anything and can get the news to me, I'd be grateful."

Narric

The aged storekeep picked up the coin and examined it in what light she had. With a twirl of fingers it seemingly disappeared.

"You're unlikely to find answers in the city." She raised her voice slightly to make sure Ben heard her.
"Most of the common criminals are simple minded, so magic is often well beyond their ability. You're likely dealing with someone a little more intelligent, and possibly with a plan in mind...." She locks eyes with the Cleric.
"Now good day to you, and keep that urchin away from my store!" A flick of the wrist and a savage point to the door, accompanied by wide yet threatening eyes was the last thing Ben saw as he exited the establishment. He signaled for the others to follow, not wanting to crowd the street more than the group likely had.

Cammerz

Nyx left her cover behind some boxes and scampered after Ben, rapid-firing questions as they went;
"Anything to share? What did she say? Someone buying all the crickets? Where to next?"

Mabbz

"Apparently even if you're using them a lot, its easier to just set your own traps to catch crickets than to try buying them," Ben explained, shrugging. "So this was a dead end. I'd say the only way we're going to get answers is to go to the source and investigate the brewery. Anyway, that's what we're being paid for, so I suppose we should probably actually honour our agreement."

Cammerz

Nyx's face fell, but only for a second and then the energy came back, along with the almost infectious smile,

"Well, we'd better set off then, supplies should be much cheaper here than they would be out West anyway."

Nyx's hand ventured into a pocket and out came the map of East Gemos once more and she started pointing to locations where they might find anything and everything they might want. It quickly became very clear to those with adventuring experience that Nyx had no idea precisely what supplies they'd all need but she gave so many suggestions that it covered most of the important ones just through chance.

When prompted to a specific option, she set off once more in a seemingly random and unusual path dragging the hapless party along behind her. Nobody knows a city like an urchin and in no time at all they were where they needed to be.

Narric

The party had alrady agreed they had no need for additional supplies, and so it was to Nyx to take the group through the winding streets and back allies of East Gemos. A few shortcuts needed to be passed over, as they did not allow for individuals of Ben and Aela's size to pass through. By the early afternoon, Nyx had taken the group to the north western most gate of the city opening up into the countryside.

The road climbed, fell and swerved through the nature, with the group briefly passing through Gemoscross. Due to the time of day, they spent the night in a decent inn, paying only 2silver between the five of them. At first light they ate appropriately for travel, and headed off along the road towards West Gemos, knowing they would need to turn off towards Lakenvale.

It was roughly midday when they were within sight of the turn off onto the dirt track they needed. However, between the group and the junction along the side of the road was an unpleasent sight. A group of ten bandits were milling about, sitting by a camp fire, sparring, or playing an instrument, the distance between each one varying from about 1 foot, to five feet, and from this distance the group could only make out a couple maces on each of the men. The road was pretty open, so if the group could see the bandits, the bandits could see the group.

The Bandits didn't seem to be readying their weapons, but with so many, that could easily change.

Cammerz

"Don't worry, I've dealt with street toughs before. You just need something big and scary and they all run away".

The 3' gnome started off towards the bandits, "But if this doesn't work it'd be nice if you could bail me out sharpish".

Nyx approached the bandits with a smile on her face and a greeting on her lips, she got to the point she felt would be most effective, in front of the densest group of them, put her thumbs together with fingers splayed and cast Burning Hands.

<15' cone, each creature caught in it takes a Dex save. Those that fail take 3d6 fire damage. Those who succeed only take half damage. The fire ignites any flammable objects in reach that aren't being worn or carried.>

Jacurutu

Aela showed apprehension at the prospect of fighting the group on the road. Bandits they almost certainly were, but she had no desire to kill them. When Nyx stepped forward to cast a spell, she wasn't exactly expecting it to be quite as aggressive. When fire erupted in a viscous swirling, writhing mass from her outstretched palm, Aela quickly darted her head away, secretly hoping that the rough and travel worn band they faced had escaped mostly unscathed and would think twice about giving their party any grief.

Mabbz

Ben followed slightly behind the Nyx, trying to feel confident and wondering what the Gnome had planned. Perhaps she would try something diplomatic -

FWOOSH!

Or not. As fire leapt forth from Nyx's hands Ben remembered what she had said about a show of force. Forcing magic into his vocal chords, he tried his best to make his now supernaturally loud voice sound threatening.

"FLEE NOW, OR FACE OUR WRATH!"

Dice Rolls:
Initiative Test: 20 (figured I'd roll in case Narric thought it necessary, but with a Nat 20 I guess I can safely say I caught on to Nyx's plan pretty quickly)
Casting Thaumaturgy: 20 (I swear I'm not cheating)
Intimidation: 4 (Phew, I thought the dice roller was broken then)