News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Eastward, Unto Dawn [RP Thread]

Started by Ravager Zero, May 02, 2012, 08:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabbz

"Much appreciated, Zaag, as long as it smells better than those salts."

Will's on Fire

"If we can avoid retracing our steps that would be good. Maybe we should scout forward and see if there is anything nearby."

Roll for suitable area to use as a lookout

"I think there is something over there." Zaag points further east. "At the very least, I think it's a tall dune."

The Man They Call Jayne

Farooq volenteered to scout ahead, he was good at tracking and concealment which made him the obvious choice.

"I'll take one other if you can keep up. I don't have the patience to babysit you, but two sets of eyes are better then one."
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

InsaneTD

The Man They Call Jayne

"Very well, keep up, and keep your eyes open."

Farooq moved off swiftly with Tarrik in tow. He was hoping for some high ground, or better, some trees, as these could be climbed for observation, dug near for water and if needs, cut for firewood.

Ravager Zero

Rolls

Tarrik trudged through the sand next to Farooq. The hashashin barely seemed to leave footprints, so light was his step. High ground would have been useful, incredibly so. The problem was that they were deep in the Katuni wastes, a rocky hamada that stretched for many leagues in all directions. The only raised ground of any note was a low mesa, a few feet higher than the surrounding rocky plain. Small drifts of sand blew slowly across the mesa.

"If we cannot find higher ground from which to plan our route, what use is scouting ahead?" Farooq spoke softly, a note of bitterness in his voice.

"To find food and water first," Tarrik replied. "To explore between dunes and down gullies. Or to simply be apart from the others."

"All good points, but the first two are moot in this land."

Tarrik nodded, unhitching his pack and setting up a small tent. "Then we should rest. We will move again at dusk, towards the great rift."

"Whatever made that
Rav's Awesome Card Counter: +2

Quote from: Kane
...and whipped cream, a bottle of baileys, seven pairs of non-matching shoes, a combine harvester, a box of matches, and three indie rock bands drunk off their skull is technically acceptable on private property.

Mabbz

"I'm not certain, but if we could harvest some of these crystals we might discover more. In any case they could prove useful and are certainly very valuable. I'm going to try to retrieve some."

InsaneTD

Tarrik was looking at the crystals and trying to remember what his tribes mystic had told him about essence, "Could these crystals be drawing the essence up from the water?" When everyone gave him a blank look he explained, "One of my tribes Mystics once said that running water will carry essence. That river that was here was moving and still could be."

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

"Regrettably I know nothing of these strange rocks, or of the workings of essence. However I do know that if Dreylan's getting involved I'm standing well clear" Murtan commented with a small smile. "If these can be used safely then they could indeed be very useful, or very valuable.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

InsaneTD

Tarrik looked at Murtan as he spoke and then at Dreylan as he tried to think of a safe way to harvest some crystals, poking and prodding them on occasion, "I think you might be right, though I'm not sure how far we would have to go be safe if I understand Magick properly."

The Man They Call Jayne

"You will need a material that dampens essence. Unless you know of one you will need to ask a runesmith. I believe they can create runes that can dampen magic, and using magic to stop magick seems illiogical. Other than that, try just wrapping your hand very thickly and picking one up. I shall be over there with the other people who wish to survive your attempt."

Mabbz

"Do any of you have a gun or a crossbow I can borrow? I'd like to see what happens if I break one of them, and I don't want to stand too close or use magic to do it."

The Man They Call Jayne

Farooq stepped forward "Stand away from the crystals, all of you, I shall attempt to answer your question."

Once they moved back he moved a close as he dared to get, drawing a small throwing knife in the process. His arm unfurled with a complex interplay of forces that were second nature to him, sending the sliver of blackend steel flying towards the stones in a blur. The target was small, but he was up to the task, he hoped. . .

Mabbz

Dreylan swiftly moved away from the crystals as Farooq prepared to throw his blade. He was carefully feeling the skeins, ready to call upon them for a healing spell, but didn't try to draw on them just yet in case there was some kind of magical backlash.

If this failed to break the crystals - or broke them without incident - then he would attempt to sever one with magic, he decided. Perhaps not the safest course of action, but he would be slow and careful with it and flee at the first sign of trouble. If it did explode or otherwise prove to dangerous to break, then he would probably leave them alone. Dreylan was curious, but not that reckless.

Unless it was only a small explosion...

Ravager Zero

Farooq's knife flew true, striking a small crystal just above the ground. Thunder rumbled across the desert and raw Essence haemorrhaged from the broken crystal, a shockwave that knocked everyone present to the ground. Dusting themselves off the group stood, shaken but unharmed. Dreylan couldn't help but notice the area was now awash with Essence, somehow more pure than before.

Slowly, carefully, and warning everyone well back, Dreylan wove the skeins into a chaotic spell, a tiny orb of destruction. When it touched the crystal the result was even more spectacular. The entire crystal shattered, a bright burst of light and a crack of thunder so loud as to deafen them all for several seconds. Everyone remained unharmed, although once more thrown to the ground. Instead of a cystal, there was now a slowly spreading puddle of liquid light, the other crystals touched by it starting to liquify.

Salman stood, his magesense feeling the pure Essence in that strange liquid falling through the desert sands. It seemed unwise to attempt anything else with those crystals now. In the back of his mind, however, a thought was forming about how the crystals had been broken
Rav's Awesome Card Counter: +2

Quote from: Kane
...and whipped cream, a bottle of baileys, seven pairs of non-matching shoes, a combine harvester, a box of matches, and three indie rock bands drunk off their skull is technically acceptable on private property.