News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

1st Auric Battalion v White Scars/Knights in "The Last Stand" (1500, 3/23): DONE

Started by BigToof, March 24, 2014, 01:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

For BT Points, vote and comment below!  How will IG fare?

Creed would be jealous! (Destroy Knight, Secure Relic)
2 (40%)
A solid win, but the big fish got away (Knight Survives, Secure Relic)
1 (20%)
At least we got the big 'un (Destroy Knight, Relic not secured)
1 (20%)
Maybe we still won? (Knight Survives, Relic not secured)
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

BigToof

1st Auric Battalion vs. White Scars/Imperial Knights in "The Last Stand" (1500pts, 3/23)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,
Yes, it's all over.  Imperial Guard are going away to be replaced by Astra Military...  Militia...  Whatever.
Fugly Ogryns.  HUVs with treads.  The world is ending!  :) (Note the sarcasm button is ON)

Somewhat literally in that the new Codex will likely change or perhaps eliminate a lot of the options that we have.
So... before the nerf bat comes down on the current models to make the new ones seem more attractive, I'm going out for one last great hurrah.
Oh, and yes, I'm going all out, as I'm going to use units I've never done before as it might be my last chance.
What does that mean?
I want to use EVERYTHING I've never used before.

So Manticore?  Yes.

Lemun Russ PUNISHER?  Yes.

Vendettas?  Absolutely Yes.

And it so happens that my opponent from last game with the White Scars wants a go with the Knight on his side, so I'm game for that.

As to why not Soriatus for a true test?

I asked my opponent if he'd rather take on IG or the Soriatus, and he took IG with out reservation, as he didn't want to deal with "those b----s with the OP grenades."

It's good to see that my girls are memorable after all!  :)

So without further ado...  On with the Mayhem!

Best,
-BT

P.S.  Of course there will be fluff and comments/critiques are greatly appreciated!

-------------------------

------------------
The Lists
------------------

1st Auric Battalion (1500pts): 61 Infantry, 6 Vehicles, 1 Fort; 12 VPs
Baron von Oberheim (CCS w/Meltasx4, Master of Ordinance) in Chimera
The Mordheim Cuckoos (Psykersx8 w/Madame Raege) in Chimera
Lt. Alexander Chenkov (PCS w/Flamersx4)
Guardsmenx30 w/Lascannonsx3, Power Axesx3
Lady Tomoe Saigo's "Roughriders" (Veteransx10 w/Meltagunsx3)
Vendetta
Vendetta
Manticore
Lemun Russ Punisher w/Heavy Bolter, Heavy Bolter Sposons
Ordo Malleus Inquisitor w/Psyker1, Force Sword, Servoskullsx3
Aegis Defense Line w/Quadgun

White Scars w/Knight 1500: 22 Infantry, 1 Vehicle, 1 SH; 7-8 VPs
Khan w/Bike
Captain w/Bike, PFist, Artificer Armor, Storm Shield
Bikesx9 w/Meltagunsx2, Multi-Melta Attack Bike
Bikesx5 w/Gravgunsx2, Sgt w/Combi-Grav
Bikesx5 w/Gravgunsx2, Sgt w/Combi-Grav
Stormraven
Knight Paladin

----------------------------------------------------------
Chapter 2: The Last Stand
----------------------------------------------------------

Insufferable.  Inconceivable.  Impossible.

Baron Wilhelm von Oberheim, Commander of the 1st Auric Battalion, stood with barely contained explosive fury.  Every inch of him trembled with anger, from his shaved head and monocle down to his pristine, shined boots. 

How dare they?  HOW DARE THEY?

The message had come from an Inquisitor, who had delivered the missive with all the nonchalance of a peasant delivering the afternoon mail.

He still had to re-read it again just to make sure that it wasn't a mistake.  But, no, the cyphers were correct, the names were on-par, and everything seemed valid.  Except it couldn't be.

The orders were from the High Lord of Terra via the Administratum Militarum.  The 1st Auric Battalion was to be disbanded.  It was not to be remade, but the entire number was never to be used again.  And why?

In honour of Vasily Romanov.  Who was to receive the Star of Terra for his campaign against Xenos and Heretics on the planet of Auric.

Oberheim slammed his fist into the wall of his quarters, leaving a dent the size of a krak grenade.  How dare that locust of a cowardly fool be given acclaim, while he, a worthy graduate of the Schola Progenium be shackled with the failings of imbeciles and fools!  It wasn't his fault that his underlings could barely stand at attention, and that they had all the inner stamina of a bloated and foetid Grox.  The Star of Terra was the highest commendation possible in the Imperial Guard.  How could Romanov, who was not even in active service, be given such a thing?

No, swore the Baron, this injustice was not go unpunished.  He would show the Imperium, he would show everyone who the true hero was!  All he needed was some hint of heresy or rebellion.  Something that he could prove his mettle and ability in.  Something...

"Commander-Baron, sir?"

Baron von Oberheim turned and with a snarl, realized that his second-in-commander, Lt. Alexander Chenkov had again entered his personal quarters without knocking.  Stamping forward, he turned his full optical fury at the smaller man, readying his inner turmoil as a verbal lance to turn the man into a mewing piling of barely-recognizable humanity.  A smarter, more competent Guardsman would have recognized the gritted teeth and bulging vein as warning signs, but either through indifference or ignorance (most probably the later), the younger Guardsman still stood at attention with a somewhat vacant looking smile, with naught a shadow of fear in his ice-blue eyes.  The Baron readied a finger to thrust into the chest of subordinate, when Chenkov held out a holo-recording.

"It's for us, sir!  A mission!  A mission at long last!"

The Baron's hand wavered in the air as surprise and anger slammed into each other, found each other wanting, and parted ways as curiosity decided to come over and pick up the pieces.

"A mission?  From who?"

Chenkov was about to answer, when the Baron waved off his reply.

"No, no, it matters not, surely someone of great renown and regard has need of us.  Of me.  Indeed.  Set a course for the mission's objective.  Full speed."

Alexander nodded and saluted sharply.  "Yes, sir!  Uh, sir?  Did you want to hear my summary of..."

The Baron turned around and gazed up at the ceiling, lost in thought of furture glories.  "No, no I do not.  Leave the dataslate on my table.  I will peruse it at my leisure."

Chenkov nodded, put the message down as ordered, and then sent off another salute as he walked out the door.  He started a bright whistle as he walked down the hall, and winked at a group of attractive Navy cadets that were walking the other way.  The girls giggled and waved back.  Alexander nodded at them and made a mental note of finding out their names later.  They would probably have time once they arrived at Terryn.  Such an odd name for a place, but he supposed that any place that had Knights wasn't all that bad of a thing.  The orders were a bit strange, as why would they need an entire Regiment to contain one Knight?  Maybe the horse he was riding was really big?  He shrugged to himself as the matter quickly left his mind.  The Baron would know what to do.  He always did.  And maybe they might actually win this time!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

House Terryn was in a state of turmoil.  Two of their Knights, both well-known and trained, had recently attempted to leave the order without the approval of their lords.  One, Sir Loras, had been hunted down and given the Emperor's mercy by the White Scars, however, many felt that the matter needed further reconciliation.  The Sisters of Battle involved in the assault had (most likely it was thought due to the valient efforts of the fallen Knight) had beaten back the Astartes, and the Space Marines wanted a second chance at revenge.  Many in the House of Terryn felt that it would be folly to back the Marines again, given their recent failure, but others were more afraid of making enemies of the Adeptus Astartes.  So, it was decided that a scapegoat would necessary.  Some kind of confilct that could readily be assigned later to clerical error, but cause enough damage to the Marines that they would be forced to fall back to their homeworld to regroup.  And at very worst, the pawns would distract the Astartes and give them another prey to track, away from Terryn and away from the internal matters at hand.  And what better way than to stage an "invasion" of Terryn by an Imperial Guard Regiment gone rogue?

A perfect plan, it was thought.  What could possibly go wrong?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pre-Game Thoughts: Well, he's got me in terms of quality, I have to say, top to bottom.  However, I've got quite a few more in terms of raw numbers.  Almost triple the number of wounds versus... Bikes.  With grav weapons...  that will be less than stellar against my lightly armored mates.  Still, he has the mobility advantage and I'll have probably one turn of shooting before he's all over me.  I didn't pack my usual grenades as well... I like to have friends and I don't want a single piece of wargear to be a crutch. 

The Baron has had horrible luck lately, and I brought all of the bits that I usually never take, and hope that they'll be able to do... you know... something.  That is a bad combination for success.  The Knight is a bit of an X-factor to me, but I hope he'll have the same (mediocre) luck as I had with him.  Still, if the blob sticks in with the Knight, I don't know how that will go, as between the ludicrous chainsword and stomps, my blob may not last that long...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Setup: Hammer and Anvil (Night Fight OFF)
Mission: Relic (!)

To be Continued!
==============================================================================================
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Cammerz

Well this looks like a great one, continue the House Terryn plot arc and send off the Imperial Guard in one epic battle. Who could ask for more (except possibly Lady D, but we can't have everything).

I can see your Vendettas causing problems for the Knight if they come in early enough and potentially the Manticore having a lot of fun however you really don't want any of your units to get close to any of his because then things will start getting painful.

As for the poll question (I'd really like to cement my lead in the table), I'm going to say that you'll take out the Knight and grab the relic (I'm more confident about the former than the latter, what happens if he conceeds whilst nobody has the relic?).

Anyway, the baron is a great character so I'm expecting the usual superb fluff in this one and I hope to see it soon.

BigToof

Quote from: Cammerz on March 26, 2014, 11:09:21 PM
Well this looks like a great one, continue the House Terryn plot arc and send off the Imperial Guard in one epic battle. Who could ask for more (except possibly Lady D, but we can't have everything).

I can see your Vendettas causing problems for the Knight if they come in early enough and potentially the Manticore having a lot of fun however you really don't want any of your units to get close to any of his because then things will start getting painful.

As for the poll question (I'd really like to cement my lead in the table), I'm going to say that you'll take out the Knight and grab the relic (I'm more confident about the former than the latter, what happens if he conceeds whilst nobody has the relic?).

Anyway, the baron is a great character so I'm expecting the usual superb fluff in this one and I hope to see it soon.

(blinks and rubs eyes)

A reply?

IT'S A POST!

A POST!

(cue maniacal laughter)

Less joking aside, thanks for your reply, Cammerz.

I guess this one isn't as interesting in terms of characters, or maybe it's my list?

In any case, here's more fluff and a preview of Turn 1!

Best,
-BT

--------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------
Interlude
-----------------------------

"...  And with a mighty blow did he strike the down the foul and really quite trampy Xenos into the ground.  As he looked around, Romanov saw the fear in the hearts of the her fellows.  With a glare that could shatter stone, the dark creatures vanished back into the night that berthed them, fleeing from the righteous light of a true warrior of the Emperor."

Alexander Chenkov nodded to himself, putting the book down on the table.  He looked up to see the smiling faces of the octet of young and rather comely Sanctioned Psykers, the Mordheim Cuckoos.  He was seated an antique round table in their quarters, decorated with a rather reserved tablecloth.  The chairs were creaky, but serviceable, and were dependable than decorative.  Alexander had always considered the Cuckoos' room rather spartan, but it was clear that the girls did what they could with such an arrangement.  Much of the Battalion had various levels of mixed anxiety regarding the Cuckoos, and it was clear that they didn't have guests very often.  Marking the page with a well-worn piece of ribbon, he put down his already rather worn copy of the Romanov Chronicles.  Cucukoos all (as one), sighed and played with their platinum hair, looking dreamily at the ceiling.  In one echoing voice they whispered, "OH OH, VASILY VASILY."  Alexander felt something burrowing into his blind spot, and glanced over to see the snarling glare of their mother, Madame Raege.  The enormous woman sat in her chair, doing her best to clearly show than any attempt at an amorous gesture would have to go through her first.  Alexander never really did understand how eight lovely looking (but sadly untouchable) nubiles could come out of the Grox-like woman, but he always assumed it was the universe's way to show that there was untold depth to every person.  Also, they could be adopted.

Madame Raege snorted, turned up her nose and said, "It's written by his wife is it not?  As I recall, she was a rather low-bred sort of Praetorian.  No doubt just exaggerating her husbands adventures.  Rather cheeky, I would say.  Maybe even bordering on improper."

Scratching his head, Alexander tried to think of a proper response.  The Cuckoos' mother was always present during their tutoring sessions, which had grown more frequent in the past few weeks.  Initially, it was sort of a touch-and-go thing with him coming in once a week or so to brush up the girls with various forms of etiquette and Guard-related matters.  He was surprised the speed in which they memorized the Primer, and even knew the prayers and chants that he had sort of forgotten.  Alexander hadn't told the Baron regarding his visits, as their mother had pressed that "discretion was a matter of great import."  Although, now that he had time to think about it, he wasn't sure why discretion was something to be concerned about.  After all, weren't they all members of the same regiment now?  The girls had even met Commander Vasily Romanov in the flesh and served under his command, which was a feather in their collective caps, so to speak. 

Alexander and his brother, Gregori, were relatively new additions to the force, and he had always felt slightly out of place.  He knew that he had large (or actually, really literally not quite so) boots to fill, as the Lieutenant spot was once held by Temperance Windsor-Smith-Romanov, who, by all accounts, was an exceptional officer.  She must have been, he thought, if her performance was enough for Romanov the Great to marry her.  Although, he had to admit that the Commander was rumoured to have more than one wife, which again made sense if you were a man of such legendary caliber.  One woman would hardly be enough to take care of your needs, both domestic and otherwise.  There was a rumble and a cough, and Alexander looked up to see a now more-than-slightly irritated Madame Raege staring at him.  He wondered why and then saw all the Cuckoos blushing at him.  Ah, yes, the girls could pick up errant mental images.  Best to reign in the imagination then.

He was about to speak when Madame Raege spoke up, "Now, down to more important matters.  I am glad to see to you and my daughters have gotten along."

Alexander nodded.  That was true enough.  They were rather young, but nice girls.  Smart, probably smarter than him.

Raege continued, "And they have expressed a fondness for you.  You have certainly met them enough times."

Bobbing his head, Alexander nodded again. He was hoping he wasn't going to be dismissed for reading the story to the girls.  He was an avid fan of Commander Romanov's memoirs, as were many in the regiment.  If anything, he was hoping that it would bring the somewhat segregated Cuckoos closer to the fold.

Pausing, as if to taste the tension, Madame Raege said, "And you understand the situation they...  we are under."

Ah, thought Alexander, now things are making sense.  Madmae Raege was worried about the upcoming battle.  Somehow she must have heard they were going to Tyrell to fight an unknown force.  An older woman of her standing mustn't show weakness, but wanted reassurance regarding the future campaign.  Well, he had heard he Baron speak enough times to know how to take care of this.

"Worry not, dear Madame Raege," said Alexander, doing his best Baron-voice impression, "Put your mind to rest on this matter.  I will take care of all things.  You need not worry about the future."

Raising both eyebrows, Madame Raege paused and looked at her girls, who were barely holding back ecstatic glee.  Alexander smiled, stood and crossed his arms, nodding at them all.

Pointing his hand at the wall, as if to conjure some obscure horizon, he said, "The future is an unknown and terrifying place, but with me at your side, the way will be clear.  Trust in me and trust in yourself."

Madame Raege nodded, stood, and extended a hand.

Alexander was a bit surprised, as usually, there was polite nodding or clapping at this point, but perhaps this was a Mordheim-sort of thing.  Taking her hand, he shook it as politely as he could, then bowed to the girls and politely exited their room.  He nodded to himself as he walked.  Being second-in-command was certainly not an easy thing, but he seemed to be getting the hang of things.  He'd just assign them a Chimera to ride in.  That would bring the entire matter nicely to a close.

As soon as the door closed, the Cuckoos started their frenzied dancing, squealing and laughing.  Normally, Madame Raege would have chided her children, but this time,their excitement was appropriate and mirrored in her heart.  An officer.  Her girls were betrothed to an officer.  A much greater pension with enough for them all to live decent lives after all of this sordid business was over.  And who knows, maybe the young man might even survive?  The future was bright indeed.

--------------------------------------------------------

Setup: Well, the terrain fairy was somewhat giving in this match, as we had decent ruins in the center of the board and some trees.  The ruins had a lot of walls without windows, which is always distressing for shooty armies like the Guard.  Still, they were a decent ways away from the Relic in the center of the board, so the chances of him grabbing the relic and scurrying out of line of sight wasn't likely.  At least, not in a single turn...
The Guard setup first, and I put the Aegis line in the center, with the blob behind it and the Inquisitor in the blob.  I put the Cuckoos in their tank and the Baron in his tank to either flank of the Punisher, which all go behind the blob.  The Manticore goes to one corner and the Vendettas go in reserve, one with Alexander and the other with Lady Saigo's melta-Vets.  My servo-skulls go across the board, basically keeping scouting to a minimum.

My opponent deploys most of his bikes to the right and center, with the Knight to my left.  Scouting doesn't do much, and I'm not too worried until he steals the initiative!

Hmm... this could be bad.

-------------------------------------

Turn 1: White Scars
-------------------

It was a brisk mid-day on a grassy field when the forces of the Auric 1st Battalion met the White Scars.  Much of the early engagement was reported first-hand by the peasantry who followed both sides to the ruins of Harper's Folly.  Count Harper, once a rich keeper of a fire brigade for the local town, had grown rich and lethargic as rates were increased and prices were gouged out of the local populace.  So, it was perhaps to no one's surprise that when a fire broke out at his manor that all of the water pumps were mysteriously empty and none of the fire brigade could be roused from their beds.  Harper went into a self-imposed exile as a pauper and died in infamy.  The locals kept his ruins intact, but quite mossy, as a sign that the Emperor does not take kindly to those would exploit the masses.  But, the two armies knew none of this history, and perhaps, thus, the irony of the entire affair was only appreciated by the natives. 

Many who watched said that the White-Armored Astartes waited patiently for the tanks and men to arrive and setup their defensive field, and said many a strange word in High Gothic that sounded stern, but friendly.  The much larger group of Guard replied in kind, and it seemed that although tensions were strangely high, bloodshed was less likely.  Then, the Iron Mountain strode onto the field, piloted by Sir Clegane.  Known as the "Bloody Mountain," by both peers and the general populace, he was a brutal, blood-thirsty man who cared only for his own glories and the damage he could wrought on another living soul.  No one knew why such a barbarous representative was sent to such a delicate situation, but the fact that the Mountain fired the first shot into the Imperial Guard without any aggravation was a surprise to only the off-worlders.  And thus, began the brutal bloodshed that is still talked about to this day...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

The big blob of bikes with the Captain and Khan boost up the center and surround the Relic!  I realize that my counter to them being hidden away in a ruin is now very small.  The two smaller bikes go out to the right, threatening my Manticore and the blob's right flank.  The Knight moves forward, firing at the Baron's Chimera and doesn't do much besides killing a few Guardsmen as the cannon's blasts scatter...

Picture Caption: Wow...  This is SO bad.
------------------------------------------

To be Continued!
BigToof Points:

BigToof

And now here's the finale!

Comments and critiques are greatly appreciated.

Best,
-BT
---------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------
Turn 1: IG
-----------------------
Curse their inevitable betrayal!, thought Baron von Oberheim.  He had expected as much from the Astartes, as it seemed that every time he had to deal with them on the field of battle, no matter what the circumstances, they were inexplicably starting an unnecessary conflict on the flimsiest of excuses.  They had even decided to tip the scales and bring out a Titan!  They must have heard he was coming.  Still, he wasn't worried.  The bigger they are, the easier targets they are for artillery.
--------------------------------

Right, so I have one turn before the bike blob scoots out of LoS with the relic.
Time to open up with everything!
I prescience the Punisher after running some (hopefully not too flawed) math in my head.
The Chimera scoots up a bit and drop out the Cuckoos.
Now down to shooting!

I use FRFSRF on the blob, and they manage to chafe down... a single wound out of the Artificer Armor Captain who is gladly bullet sponging for the whole group.

That was kind of disappointing.

Then, I use ON MY TARGET for the Baron's own squad, and drops a (mostly) accurate artillery hit in the middle of the bikers.  They have to re-roll cover saves, which I learn is 3+ thanks to the somewhat-OP White Scars rules.  Still, they lose two of their number.

The Punisher is the next to fire, and whittles apart the Captain and a few other bikers with almost a dozen wounds!
And then the Manticore fires three magnificient shots and hits the Knight.  We're not sure how to work the shields, so we randomize it to either side.  The Knight still ends up losing three hull points (meh).  I put the icing on the cake when the Cuckoos hit the now shield-less blob with the powers, dropping the leadership of the blob to 2.  They fail morale and run back more than a dozen inches!  Oh, and I rotate the Chimera at this point to block LoS for the girls.  The old tricks are still the best ones :)  And a few shots go into the bikes on my right from Chimeras, and I down a bike.

Picture Caption: Guard can still shoot.  Good to know.

--------------------------
Turn 2: White Scars
--------------------------
Khan scowled as he shook off the Witch-fear that had pushed into his mind.  Although the fearsome mental spectres were powerful enough to render a normal man into a gibbering heap of pudding, they were Adeptus Astartes.  Fear was something for lesser creatures.  Still, the surprise was enough to make them fall back out range of dealing with the Imperial Guard. 
Clearly something needed to be done.  A rumbling brought his attention to his right.  The ground tremored as the massive Knight strode forward, casually crushing overgrown bushes and trees as if they were tender grasses.  Khan frowned at the massive walker.  He didn't ask for assistance, and he wasn't sure who this newcomer was.  But, it was at least clear that it wasn't firing at them.  A matter to be discussed later, after he had crushed these traitorous Guardsmen to the ground.
---------------------------
The Stormraven doesn't come in.
Everyone moves up.
Khan and his bikes take cover behind LoS blocking terrain.  The  bikes on my right flank race forward and smash the Manticore into pieces.  That's... sort of bad.  I was hoping that it might do some more work on the Knight, but, oh well...

The other squad of bikes boosts up within assault range of the blob on the next turn.  The Knight shoots out two big plates, stunning the Cuckoos' Chimera and downing some more from the blob.

Picture Caption: Right, so I'm going to be in trouble, very very soon

Turn 2: IG
Well, that's certainly bigger than a Dreadnaught, thought Alexander Chenkov, as his Vendetta dropped down to begin it's attack run.  There were already a few craters from artillery shells, and it gave the pilot something to aim for.  Six lascannons fired out, striking the head and chest of the enormous Walker.  There was a shuddering sound for a few moments, almost as if the machine realized that it had suffered some kind of mortal blow.  Alexander was considering radioing the Baron to tell him the good news when the sky and everything else became filled with a blinding white light as the reactor in the Knight went critical.  Alexander put the Comm down.  The Baron probably noticed that already.
---------------------------
I get Alexander and his Vendetta, and bring it in, lining it up to shoot at the Knight.
I shuffle models around a little bit, but it doesn't matter THAT much.

Mass shooty goes in and I tear apart one squad of bikes and put the hurting on another.  The Vendetta sneaks two Lascannon hits through the shield.  One gets an explodes result and down goes the Knight!

Picture Caption: Note to self: Against Knights, Vendettas are super effective!

Turn 3: White Scars
Khan blinked the last of the blinding glare out of his eyes.  The Knight that instigated this whole mess had fallen.  A pity.  Their chances of getting answers were much less now.  He was considering whether or not to attempt shots against the fast moving Guard aircraft, when a white blur raced through the sky and delivered pinpoint death to the ungainly enemy craft.  Khan watched with satisfaction as it plummeted from the sky and impacted with a spectacular explosion.  Stormravens, he thought to himself.  Not the prettiest of craft, but they get the job done.
------------------------------
The Stormraven comes in and gets within Multi-melta range of my Vendetta (whoops).
The last small bike squad moves up and gets ready to put the hurting on my blob.

The Raven splits fire using their machine spirit, and blows the Vendetta out of the sky quite easily while immobilizing the Baron's Chimera.  I roll for the PCS inside and one model survives the explosion.  Realizing that I have to make morale checks up the wazoo, I choose Alexander to survive, who then makes his pinning and morale checks.

The bike squad shoots the blob up a bit and then assaults.  I throw out a massive overwatch which ends up doing nothing as his saves go red-hot.  Likewise, I manage to down one bike while he chews away more than half a dozen!  (S5 hammer of wrath is mean!)  Thanks to the Inquisitor I hold.

Picture Caption: That... could have gone better.

------------------------
Turn 3: IG
-----------------------
Alexander Chenkov had never really been in an emergency landing before, but he was sure there was something in the Primer regarding this situation.  Probably.  Ignoring the screams from the men around him, he patted around for the thin booklet.  He was just about to flip to the index when the plane suddenly starting tumbling every which way.  There was a tearing of metal and great deal of everything spinning about.  It was quite a while before things stopped moving, and Alexander noticed the sky was sideways.  That was something you didn't see normally.  He unbuckled his seat and noticed that he had been thrown decently far from the now smouldering craft, and he was, by far and large, unharmed.  He considered checking for other survivors when the Lascannons overheated and exploded in a firey shrapnel, shredding the remains of the Vendetta.  Well, he thought to himself, that might be a good argument against putting troops on them in the first place.
----------------------------------
This is why you bring two Vendettas.

The second Vendetta comes in and I feel the Stormraven is going to be getting a hurting very, very soon.
I shuffle models a bit, but there's nothing for them to do, as the bikes are either in assault or ouf of LoS.
As somewhat expected, the Vendetta shoots the Stormraven out of the sky.  In assault, the Power Axes finally come to bear and I down one bike, but the other hits and runs behind my blob!
Oh, and I've been moving Alexander closer to the other side of the board while staying out of LoS.  Maybe he'll get Linebreaker in five or so turns?

Picture Caption: You know, Vendettas might be OP.  Just a little bit...

-----------------------
Turn 4: White Scars
---------------------
Good enough, thought Baron von Oberhiem, as he watched another assault by the bikes stall against the mass of Guardsmen in front of him.  The rank and file would no doubt die pointlessly, but it was their duty to provide a satisfactory wall of meat for his own safety.  Luckily, the one thing they wre good for was getting in the way.  He was about to turn back to the long-range Auspex when a loud engine roar made him look up.  Somehow, against all odds, a single bike had broken free and as coming right for them!

"Stop him!  Stop him!" barked the Baron, but he knew it was too late.  The Astartes fired his weapon and the Baron noticed a strange heaviness as the tank creaked and the walls buckled.  Swearing, he leapt to his feet and out of the tank, barely getting clear as the entire vehicle crumpled up like a wad of tin.  How was this even possible?  And just to make matters worse, he saw that the Marine was turning towards them, revving his bike's engine while drawing a chainsword.  The Baron scowled and drew his own well-worn blade.  One Astartes against all odds.  Another man would have balked, but he was Baron von Oberheim.  Let them come.  Let them all come.
------------------------------------

The lone bike sizes up the Baron's Chimera as the bigger bike squad moves up to grab the relic.

The bike hits the Chimera with all of it's Gravgun shots and rolls two 6's!
I wonder what that does, as I thought it means that the Chimera is immobilized, but my opponent tells me that as it's already immobilized, that it loses two HP...
Which means it's wrecked.  Which means that the Baron is now out and in the face of the biker!

The biker assaults, dodging through my hastily made overwatch rolls (4+ cover save to all bikes?  Really?) to slam into the CCS, killing a few and getting stuck in.  I do nothing back to the T5 bike and we hold.

Picture Caption: Well... I guess there's no orders now.

----------------------
Turn 4: IG
---------------------
"Press forward, damn you!"

The Baron's voice came clearly over the Commbead, which was fine enough for Sergeant Wellbourne.  He had been in the 1st Auric for long enough to realize that the Baron's orders, no matter how debatabley appropriate, were not to be questioned.  It was true that the Astartes' uplink to their orbiting vessel was now vulnerable, but it was right in the middle of the field, making it near-suicide to attempt taking it with a sizable enemy force still on the field.  Taking a moment, he bowed to the wizened Inquisitor that had stood silenly with them.  Inquisitor Markus Aurelian looked ancient beyond any mortal the Sergeant had seen, with long white hair, speckled skin and a whip-thin body.  But, it was the intrusive pale eyes that burrowed into your soul that made Wellbourne the most unconfortable.  Enough certainly to be as polite as possible.

"I have my orders, my liege, may I continue?"

The Inquisitor nodded and strode forwards himself, bracing himself with each step.  Aurelian barked out orders to his men, hoping that something decisive would come out of all this.
---------------------------------------

I move the blob up and all shooting goes into the big bike squad, who lose enough for the Cuckoos to hit with psychic shenanigans.  The bikes fall back, but not really that far...  The biker and the Baron continue to wail on each other, not doing a horrible lot.

Picture Caption: Run!  Run!  ...  Wait...  How come they didn't run that far?
BigToof Points:

BigToof

--------------------
Turn 5: White Scars
--------------------
This was getting tiresome.  These Witch-bourne powers were starting to irritate him.  Khan turned in his saddle and a smile crossed his face as he saw the Guardsmen jump over their line and march forwards.  They thought they had an advantage?

He gestured to his battle-brothers, who as one, spun in a half-circle and sped directly at the now defenseless men.  Whipping free his gleaming sword, Khan almost felt sorry for them.
------------------------------

The bikes rally 3" and then I get hit with the oldest facepalm in the book, as I realize that the bikers are going for an assault!  It's 10-11", but he gets it handily.  Khan is in front, and tanks a few wounds, but the blob gets in and starts chewing apart Guardsmen like it's going out of style.  I hit back as best I can, but it's clearly nowhere near the scale I need.  I roll for leadership and get an 11...

The bikes catch the blob and now things are really bad once again!

Picture Caption: That's... not good.

------------------
Turn 5: IG
------------------
I drop the Vets off in the White Scar deployment zone for linebreaker as I put the Vendetta into hover mode.
The Cuckoos hit Khan with their psychic mojo for chuckles, but he Denies the Witch!  Mass shooty from all directions manage to take down all the bikes save Khan.  The bike and the Baron continue slapping at each other.  I'm running out of Guardsmen quickly, but thankfully the bike isn't all that hitty.

As of now, I have linebreaker.  He has linebreaker and first blood.  Nobody has the relic.

So, I lose right now unless it goes to another turn...

And it does!

-----------------
Turn 6: White Scars
----------------
Not like this, thought Baron von Oberheim, landing another useless blow against the heavily-armored Marine.  He might as well be trying to cut through a tank with a spoon.  It's not my fault, he thought, everything was going so well.  That damned Inquisitor had mucked it all up and thrown away the center.  If only he had a power weapon, he'd show them all.  How could he lose on his last chance for glory?  He was Baron von Oberheim, slayer of kings and gods.  To be defeated by a mere single Astartes was beneath him.

He heard a roar and saw the bloodied, but still quite defiant White Scars leader fly over the remains of the Ageis Defense Line and tear apart the last of his bodyguards.  As the bike raced for him, the Baron nodded to himself.  Now this was more like it.
-----------------------------------

Khan hits the CCS like a wrecking ball (sorry, I know, that song's stuck in my head now too) and easily rips everyone apart, earining slay the warlord for the White Scars.  My opponent has this look of vindication at this point, as now he's got all three bonus points.  Now all Khan has to do is weather my entire (mostly crippled) army.  Can he do it?

Picture Caption: Right, so...  Do I lose now?

------------------
Turn 6: IG
-----------------
Brushing a bit of sweat out of his eyes, Alexander Chenkov stopped when he saw the Vendetta take off again.  That was unfortunate.  He was hoping he could make it in time to load up.  Perhaps he should check in with the Baron.  Tapping his commbead, he was a bit perplexed when no one answered.  Maybe the Baron was occupied.  Stretching against a piece of rubble, he considered his options, but he was so far away from either side of the conflict, he wasn't sure which way to go.  After a moment's thought, he decided that taking a short nap wasn't out of the question.  Spotting an odd looking banner near what seemed to be an abandoned well, he jogged up and sat down, drawing his helmet over his eyes.  The Baron would eventually tell him what to do.  After all, he was just one man, anything he did at this point wouldn't change matters much at all.
-----------------------------------------

I then realize that Alexander, you know the one guy who was shot down about four or so turns ago and has been slowly jogging towards the relic?  He's actually in range now.  He gives himself (literally) the order to run and gets on the relic.
I then direct the Punisher to take apart the last of the scoring bikes.  Khan is the only one left, and I realize that I can't drop the Cuckoo's plate on him as it would hit the tank next to him (great).  Realizing that if Khan kills Alexander, then I lose (he has all three secondaries, I only have two), I decide to try anyway and fire the Vendetta, Chimeras and even the LASPISTOLS of the Cuckoos into the famed White Scars captain.  He rolls and loses his last wound on the very last die.  Although I don't know exactly which wound did him in, I like to think the Cuckoos did it :)

And with that, the game is done!

-------------------------------------
Result: IG Victory!  (barely!)
------------------------------------

Post-Game Thoughts:

My opponent had some bad luck in the beginning, but then his dice went hella hot and I was struggling to do anything.  Plus, the whole "falling back, oh no, I didn't go that far" Astartes trick reared it's ugly head, making me realize why bikes are so good.  My much slower infantry tried to do something, but for the most part, I was relying on tanks and luck.  And it sort of worked.  My MVP for this match goes to the Cuckoos who thankfully kept the bikes at bay and (sort of) shot the last wound off Khan.  If they get cut out of the new Codex, I think I'll be ok with that, as this is clearly the best they've done in a long, long time.  I had considered saying the Vendetta, but the Vendetta is OP as it is :)

I asked my opponent what he thought about his list, and he said that one Knight just doesn't cut it, as it's fast, but still not fast enough.  It didn't do that much, and he didn't like it for all the points.  So, not a fan there I guess.  He was a bit disappointed that it didn't end on turn 5, as he would clearly have had it, but that's why there's a random roll I guess!

I'm eager to see what the new Codex (whatever they end up calling it) will bring, and hopefully we'll see more from the updated 1st Auric soon!

---------------------------------------------------------

---------------------
Epilogue
---------------------

"Do it," half-growled Baron von Oberheim, battering at the arm of Khan, who held the man aloft like a rag doll.  "Kill me, you traitorous Astartes dog."

Khan raised his sword, but paused.  Clearly the Guard thought they were in the right.  Perhaps they were.  As he was about to start an impromptu interrogation, Khan scowled as his communicator flared with static.  Someone or something was disrupting their uplink to the Battle Barge.  Dropping the Baron unceremoniously to the ground, he whirled around to see a single Guardsman that had somehow made his way onto their reinforced comm station.  Gripping the triggers on his bike, he made ready to tear the offending man to shreds.  Then, there was a whirring sound behind him.

Khan had just a moment to try and jink away as mass laser and bolter fire whipped through the air.  The Punisher.  How had he forgotten it?  He felt his Iron Halo buckle, but hold strong, deflecting most of the assault, but Moondraken started to splinter as the weight of fire began to take it's toll.  Khan withstood it the best he could and then, with a feeling of victory, looked up as there was a pause in the fire.  The tank was reloading.  He was still up and although hurt, he was more than able enough to finish this matter.  And that was when he heard female voices and saw a half-dozen or so slim girls wearing white robes run around a demolished tank, shooting laspistols at him.  Khan almost ignored them when one of the shots somehow worked it's way into his bike, and Khan felt something inside grind to a near-halt.  He squeezed the triggers of his boltguns, but they refused to fire. 

He shook his head.  Moondrakken was heavily damaged.  If he allowed it to falter, there would be little chance of him escaping this disasterous affair.  He no longer had the means to continue this fight without undue loss.  As much as it pained him, he had to quit the field.  Someone would pay for this, this he swore.

-------------------------------------------------

Lieutenant Alexander Chenkov walked casually back to the Imperial Guard lines, whistling a jaunty tune.  The last of the Space Marines had zipped away, and things had been quiet for a little while now.  Much to his surprise, there was a great deal of commotion around the Cuckoos.  He had expected maybe some kind of harassment, but instead, the girls were being toasted and clearly given acclaim by the men around them.  Something good had happened.  Walking up, Madame Raege nodded at him.

"I see that our efforts in keeping the future... secure, was effective?"

Alexander raised an eyebrow in thought.  He guessed they must have done something good after all.  Perhaps he should have been paying attention.  "Good to hear, Madame Raege.  I guess you're worried about your daughters having all this attention?"

The large woman turned up her nose and said, "Not at all!  After all, they are bethroed.  You needn't worry about that."
Alexander nodded, looking back to the girls, who were being given an impromptu tour of the Lemun Russ.  He didn't know that the Cuckoos were engaged.  Whoever the lucky fellow was certainly was going to have his hands full.  Maybe the future was looking up after all.
BigToof Points:

Mabbz

I'm pretty sure you can't seize the relic in the shooting phase by running. The rules specifically say you con only seize it in the movement phase. A minor point since you wiped him out, but I figured I'd let you know anyway.

Also, you've just shown why I'm so keen to play against an imperial knight. The guard have so much firepower that it isn't really a threat, just a big fire magnet.

gorlak

Great batrep - I always enjoy reading them and they are a big part of why I still lurk on 2S :D so thanks for all the good times when work or school was made less boring :D

Cammerz

Quote from: Mabbz on April 03, 2014, 06:54:57 AM
I'm pretty sure you can't seize the relic in the shooting phase by running. The rules specifically say you con only seize it in the movement phase. A minor point since you wiped him out, but I figured I'd let you know anyway.

Well there goes my BT point, never mind.

Great comeback there 'toof, I'm glad you took down that Knight, and the Stormraven. It seems that if there's one thing Vendettas can do it's annihilate something big and scary before going down in flames. A shame that the Manticore couldn't do too much, it might have been fun to target that at those pesky bikers (although maybe not with their cover saves, I can see a Russ Eradicator perhaps being more useful than the Punisher, but then again they still have those armour saves).

I greatly enjoyed the fluff, the Baron was always a cool character, a shame you stole his power sword, I swear he brought down Greater Daemons with that thing back in the day. It'll be interesting to see how the new codex treats the Guard (or Astras as they'll now be known), hopefully the blob will still be viable. I look forward to seeing how it affects your characters, whether the Baron or Lady Jenna will still be with us or find themselves replaced by brand new Astra commanders, time will tell.

BigToof

Thank you all for the kind comments!

I'm a bit sad to see that the Baron and co. didn't do as well as the Sisters (in terms of views/comments), but I understand, after all, they are the stronger army and well... SISTERS.  :)

As for future changes, I'm not sure.  The Cuckoos may be out if the new list, but still a lot TBD.

Overall, I'm liking that there are changes to the IG Codex (good and bad), and it'll be fun to see what shakes out.

Also, you've just shown why I'm so keen to play against an imperial knight. The guard have so much firepower that it isn't really a threat, just a big fire magnet.

Thanks for the reply Mabbz,
You are 100% correct that I didn't grab the relic.  Thanks for the catch on that.
IG doesn't really fear the Knight so much, as there is so much firepower.
Are you thinking about using the Scions (Stormtroopers) next Codex?

Quote from: gorlak on April 03, 2014, 12:41:01 PM
Great batrep - I always enjoy reading them and they are a big part of why I still lurk on 2S :D so thanks for all the good times when work or school was made less boring :D

Thanks Gorlak!
I really appreciate the reply.  If you drop by again, I'll be sure to reply.
Oh, and not-so-well-hidden secret: My commentors actually change my fluff and list changes, so if you come back, you'll see changes if you tell me what you like and don't.  :)

Quote from: Cammerz on April 03, 2014, 12:44:19 PM

Well there goes my BT point, never mind.

Great comeback there 'toof, I'm glad you took down that Knight, and the Stormraven. It seems that if there's one thing Vendettas can do it's annihilate something big and scary before going down in flames. A shame that the Manticore couldn't do too much, it might have been fun to target that at those pesky bikers (although maybe not with their cover saves, I can see a Russ Eradicator perhaps being more useful than the Punisher, but then again they still have those armour saves).

I greatly enjoyed the fluff, the Baron was always a cool character, a shame you stole his power sword, I swear he brought down Greater Daemons with that thing back in the day. It'll be interesting to see how the new codex treats the Guard (or Astras as they'll now be known), hopefully the blob will still be viable. I look forward to seeing how it affects your characters, whether the Baron or Lady Jenna will still be with us or find themselves replaced by brand new Astra commanders, time will tell.

Hi Cammerz,
Yeah, I think many people were expecting complete demolition and it almost worked but I didn't go complete cheese on the Inquisitor.  I don't know how new Guard/AM will be, but I'm excited to at least see some changes.
How are you liking the rumours?
I think it may be a good chance that some characters will change, so it's an exciting time!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz

Quote from: BigToof on April 06, 2014, 03:17:40 PM
Hi Cammerz,
Yeah, I think many people were expecting complete demolition and it almost worked but I didn't go complete cheese on the Inquisitor.  I don't know how new Guard/AM will be, but I'm excited to at least see some changes.
I think it may be a good chance that some characters will change, so it's an exciting time!

The rumours are certainly interesting, and I've pre-ordered my copy of the codex so I can see how my own army will be affected. I think it's a bit of a shame that in order to use Storm Troopers (ahem, Tempestus Scions) now we'll need to get their equally-priced codex as well but as long as the blob tactics and Leman Russ tanks are still viable then I should be okay. I reckon Armoured Fist squads might make a comeback given that GW are selling them in their own boxes now so maybe a fully-mechanised list wouldn't be out of the question.

I'd personally like to request that your first battle with the Astras be against Lady D's Dark Eldar. That'll give them a solid challenge right off the bat, plus the fluff from Lady D battles are always exceptional so it'd be a great way to introduce a new Astra commander.

Edit: Well now that I've got a copy of Codex:AM I'm pleased to see that some of that information was wrong (with reference to the Storm Troopers although some of the Codex:MT is worth a read, see my post in the Allies of the Imperium section). The units which have vanished include the Penal Legion squads and most of the original Artillery but with the occasional exception of penal legion you didn't really use anything that's completely vanished.
Your Lady Jenna army would obviously need to change given that Jenna could no longer be the warlord (a promotion for her Seneschal maybe?).
The Psyker Battle Squads are gone, replaced by Wyrdvane Psykers who work completely differently and wouldn't include a Madame Raege character.
The blob still exists in the same form so you don't need to alter your Troops choices if you don't want to (but of course you might want to fit a few flakk missile launchers in there if you don't get Hydras).

Suggestions for your future army lists:
Tank Commander - Your new commander maybe? Perhaps a Knight Commander with a name that's anything but Pask. Maybe in an Executioner for all that plasma-pie-plate glory! (Remember that your Tank Commander must be in a unit with at least one other Russ of any type, which given that they'll fire at different units with a successful order won't matter that much).
Wyrdvanes - I just think they're cool, plus I'm thinking of the fluff more than their actual usefulness.
Wyvern Battery - I've heard great things about them and you seem to enjoy testing new units.
Deathstrike - I know you used to run one, but not one with a 10" apocalyptic blast that could quite feasibly fire on turn 2 (if you don't move or suffer any weapon-destroyed results then you'll fire on turn 2 on a roll of 3+).

BigToof

Quote from: Cammerz on April 06, 2014, 04:19:44 PM
Quote from: BigToof on April 06, 2014, 03:17:40 PM
Hi Cammerz,

The rumours are certainly interesting, and I've pre-ordered my copy of the codex so I can see how my own army will be affected. I think it's a bit of a shame that in order to use Storm Troopers (ahem, Tempestus Scions) now we'll need to get their equally-priced codex as well but as long as the blob tactics and Leman Russ tanks are still viable then I should be okay. I reckon Armoured Fist squads might make a comeback given that GW are selling them in their own boxes now so maybe a fully-mechanised list wouldn't be out of the question.

I'd personally like to request that your first battle with the Astras be against Lady D's Dark Eldar. That'll give them a solid challenge right off the bat, plus the fluff from Lady D battles are always exceptional so it'd be a great way to introduce a new Astra commander.

Edit: Well now that I've got a copy of Codex:AM I'm pleased to see that some of that information was wrong (with reference to the Storm Troopers although some of the Codex:MT is worth a read, see my post in the Allies of the Imperium section). The units which have vanished include the Penal Legion squads and most of the original Artillery but with the occasional exception of penal legion you didn't really use anything that's completely vanished.
Your Lady Jenna army would obviously need to change given that Jenna could no longer be the warlord (a promotion for her Seneschal maybe?).
The Psyker Battle Squads are gone, replaced by Wyrdvane Psykers who work completely differently and wouldn't include a Madame Raege character.
The blob still exists in the same form so you don't need to alter your Troops choices if you don't want to (but of course you might want to fit a few flakk missile launchers in there if you don't get Hydras).

Suggestions for your future army lists:
Tank Commander - Your new commander maybe? Perhaps a Knight Commander with a name that's anything but Pask. Maybe in an Executioner for all that plasma-pie-plate glory! (Remember that your Tank Commander must be in a unit with at least one other Russ of any type, which given that they'll fire at different units with a successful order won't matter that much).
Wyrdvanes - I just think they're cool, plus I'm thinking of the fluff more than their actual usefulness.
Wyvern Battery - I've heard great things about them and you seem to enjoy testing new units.
Deathstrike - I know you used to run one, but not one with a 10" apocalyptic blast that could quite feasibly fire on turn 2 (if you don't move or suffer any weapon-destroyed results then you'll fire on turn 2 on a roll of 3+).

Hi Cammerz,
Thanks for the reply!
I've gotten a few games in with the new Codex and there are big, BIG changes.
The site seems a bit unstable for me, but I'll try to get it up soon!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points: