News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Heavy Infantry Contest 2013 [rules]

Started by Narric, April 03, 2013, 08:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osiris

my apologies.

wellp, guess im changing the models i plan on using then. :P
IF - 5k
UM - 2k
Eldar - 2k

The Allfather

Quote from: Narric on April 04, 2013, 06:41:36 AM
Quote from: The Allfather on April 04, 2013, 02:46:05 AM
So... Stormtroopers count for Heavy Infantry?
Uhm. I'm not sure how to rule this.

When I imagine Heavy Infantry, I imagine units like Terminators and Grotesques, to name a few units.

Storm Troopers, though armed with powerful gear, are more Light Infantry in my mind.

Thats just my opinion though :-\

I was just wondering, I've got other things I can do instead. I was just looking for an excuse to finish some of my stormtroopers! :P

Lord Sotek

Argh, this is frustrating.

I've had  two orders in mind to get from Anvil Industries. One was enough parts for some uniquely fluffed Sternguard counts as I want to put together for a friend. The other was enough parts to make a bunch of tough-as-nails Autocannon devastators for my DIY  chapter.

I ordered the first of these, and wanted to enter it into the contest. But now it seems like you're saying they're not a valid entry, but the second order sitting in my wishlist would have been?  :facepalm001:
Quote from: Saulus on March 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my

Narric

Quote from: Lord Sotek on April 04, 2013, 03:10:22 PM
Argh, this is frustrating.

I've had  two orders in mind to get from Anvil Industries. One was enough parts for some uniquely fluffed Sternguard counts as I want to put together for a friend. The other was enough parts to make a bunch of tough-as-nails Autocannon devastators for my DIY  chapter.

I ordered the first of these, and wanted to enter it into the contest. But now it seems like you're saying they're not a valid entry, but the second order sitting in my wishlist would have been?  :facepalm001:
Uhm, Devastators aren't a valid entry either I'm afraid ^_^;;

Quote from: The Allfather on April 04, 2013, 12:51:08 PM
I was just wondering, I've got other things I can do instead. I was just looking for an excuse to finish some of my stormtroopers! :P
Pretty much anything like that would be valid for the Light Infantry contest, coming up in May. Judging by the response to this thread, there is going to be an overwelling number of potential entrants to that contest :P

Chocomel

will this also be split into a Godlike painters group and us lesser mortals painting group?

Narric

Quote from: Chocomel on April 04, 2013, 05:03:04 PM
will this also be split into a Godlike painters group and us lesser mortals painting group?
Only if we get enough entrants :P

I kind of have a figure in my head for the number of entrants I'd want MINIMUM before I start breaking into into Master/Novice.

If I had acquired a larger number of prizes, I may have also considered a middle tier, or "Intermediate" set of entrants. However, thats probably talk for further in time, when this forum is more active, and games companies are more inclined to offer most excellent prizes for us to use.

knightperson

Hmm, I might enter a Heavy Warbeast from Hordes. I've been working on a couple of those recently.
Cured of what I'm suffering from, but suffering from the cure.

Jonagon

Sweet! Does a heavy count? Or would we be talking Light beasts/jacks for this?

For reference for non-warmachine guys, we're talking, average infantry on 30mm bases:

http://privateerpress.com/files/products/31048_TrencherInfantryRifleGrenadier_WEB.jpg

Light jacks/beasts on 40mm bases:

http://privateerpress.com/files/products/31089-Charger09WEB.jpg

Heavy jacks/beasts on 50mm:

http://privateerpress.com/files/products/31062_Cyclone_WEB.jpg

Obviously it's up to the comp guys on this, but is there a mninimum size for the unit.. does single model (beast/jack) count?

If it were me I'd be tempted to say any WM/H unit choice not on a 30mm base. which includes all the cavalary, etc. However, this is far from perfect as these guys look very like heavy infantry but are only on the smaller base:

In summary: jeez this is hard to define!

Jonagon

oh! oh! movement value!

In WM/H, any unit with a SPD < 6 OR a base larger than 30mm is heavy? Even then there might be some special cases!

Ah crap.. except I forgot dwarves who are all slow. I give up!

Narric

This is why I tried to go by size of model :P

In regards to those Warmachine Models, I can tell you the Cyclone, and Charger Warjacks would be elligible to the Heavy Infantry Contest, with the Stormguard and Grenadier examples of Light Infantry.

knightperson

You're right, heavy beasts or jacks are probably more appropriate as heavy support than anything else. How about this for a conversion chart?

40k                  Warmahordes
Troops              small-base units
HQ                   warcaster / warlock
Elite                 light warbeasts and warjacks, multiwound solos that don't fit elsewhere
Fast Attack       cavalry or anything with flight
Heavy Support  heavy beasts and warjacks, and anything else on a large base
Superheavies    gargantuans and colossals
Character/ squad leader   unit attachments. Solos with a command effect on another unit could also go here

For  the current discussion, I would say that light infantry is a unit of single-wound models on small bases, while heavies could be medium base and/or multi-wound.

Narric

The trouble with that chart KP, is that it still assumes 40k FOC related Contests. The way I've tried to put the contests forward now, is to have Like Models competing against Like Models.

For example:
XV8 Suits and Terminator Army, being compared to a Heavy Warjack, or O-Yoroi Kidobutai in the current Heavy Infantry contest.
Fire Warriors and Power Armoured Marines, being compared to Trencher Infantry Rifle Grenadiers, and Haramaki Zensenbutai in the Light Infantry Contest up next soon.

I'll have to look over the next few contests, to try and give better examples of what the Contest is for.

Begel Dverl

Would the Chosen from the Dark Vengeance Box count?

Please say yes  :'(

Narric

Quote from: Begel Dverl on April 07, 2013, 10:00:08 PM
Would the Chosen from the Dark Vengeance Box count?

Please say yes  :'(
They are just Space Marines with a lot of corruption, so no..

knightperson

Quote from: Narric on April 07, 2013, 09:00:36 PM
The trouble with that chart KP, is that it still assumes 40k FOC related Contests. The way I've tried to put the contests forward now, is to have Like Models competing against Like Models.

For example:
XV8 Suits and Terminator Army, being compared to a Heavy Warjack, or O-Yoroi Kidobutai in the current Heavy Infantry contest.
Fire Warriors and Power Armoured Marines, being compared to Trencher Infantry Rifle Grenadiers, and Haramaki Zensenbutai in the Light Infantry Contest up next soon.

I'll have to look over the next few contests, to try and give better examples of what the Contest is for.

Not an easy thing when we're dealing with abstract systems that don't have much basis in reality. Core concepts only take you so far.