News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Heavy Infantry Contest 2013 [rules]

Started by Narric, April 03, 2013, 08:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Narric

I can't think of an answer which doesn't sound like a snarky remark -_-

I guess if there were more people on the committee who play different game systems, and can say what is Heavy and what is Light Infantry, or what units equate to what 40k/Fantasy FOC :P

Zen

Heavy Infantry, in terms of Historical Ancients and Fantasy, is pretty much any infantry unit in "heavy" armor but the line is blurred when you have actual heavy-weight units like Monstrous Infantry coming into the picture. The line is blurred even further with the introduction of gunpowder and later solid projectile weapons where heavy armor is made almost obsolete and the term of heavy infantry is further revised to infantry units carrying infantry support weapons i.e. "heavy weapons" and are typical slow to move and redeploy but mechanization solved that problem.

If historicals or fantasy context, any unit in heavy armor e.g. chainmail and platemail , and Ogre-size units should be considered heavy infantry.

For more modern context, infantry carrying "heavy weapons", should be considered heavy infantry.

In the context of Sci-Fi especially Warhammer 40,000, Space Marines (even the Chaos variety) are indeed Heavy Infantry be the sheer merit of being encased in Power Armor, carrying Bolters or equipped with a heavy weapon that would need TWO regular humans to carry and operate properly, and being mostly mechanized. Even those in 4+ Armor (Carapace Armor, 'Eavy Armor, whatever those Tau Fire Warriors are wearing) should also be considered heavy infantry.

InsaneTD

I've got a model I want to enter but I can find enough bits to finish it. :(

Paradoxrifts

Since every faction of every game has a slightly different idea to what constitutes heavy infantry, why not just go by that?

Heavy infantry could be classed as any infantry unit with a higher than average armour save than their faction's base line grunt .

For all Space Marine players  that would mean any model on foot with a better than +3 armour save, while an Imperial Guard player would be free to enter Storm Troopers because to him anything with a +4 save would be his version of heavy infantry. I know for a fact that every Warmachine/Hordes faction has a nice standardised unit of infantry that can be used as a baseline comparison to work out whether another unit from that faction would be considered heavy infantry or not.

Easy as pie.   

Narric

I guess that works, but remember armies like Grey Knights have Terminators in their Troops by default, don't they?

That ruling could possibly work for most non-GW game systems, but for GW, I reckon we'd have to just go by Armour Save.

So best way to write this.....

"A Heavy Inf unit/model  has a higher Armour save (or equivalent) then the unit/model's Faction's rank-&-file grunt."

Maybe I should've done Heavy & Light Inf contest at the same time, :P

Paradoxrifts

Quote from: Narric on April 30, 2013, 09:39:20 AM

But Narric, what about the Medium infantry contest? :P

Narric

Quote from: Paradoxrifts on April 30, 2013, 10:05:27 AM
Quote from: Narric on April 30, 2013, 09:39:20 AM

But Narric, what about the Medium infantry contest? :P
Don't even start that XD

Ra´Meses

But... what counts then? In my book heavy infantry is... Well, it kinda though.

A question from a newbie if it is allowed. Is the contest for Sci-fi only or can you enter fantasy models.

I would say an Empire greatsword of footknight is definitely heavy infantry, for example.

But on another note, does Ork nobz count as heavy infantry if being Ard Boyz packing Eavy armour? Or is that still "light"?  :P

If so, I have too pass this one up and wait for the light infantry.  ;)
"AND MY AXE!"

Narric

Quote from: Ra´Meses on April 30, 2013, 04:47:50 PM
But... what counts then? In my book heavy infantry is... Well, it kinda though.

I would say an Empire greatsword of footknight is definitely heavy infantry, for example.

But on another note, does Ork nobz count as heavy infantry if being Ard Boyz packing Eavy armour? Or is that still "light"?  :P

If so, I have too pass this one up and wait for the light infantry.  ;)
I reckon Fantasy is easier to specify. I reckon a "Greatswordsman" would be considered Heavy Infantry in regardsto the rank-&-file soldiers of The Empire, both by armour, and by weaponry.

I'm not too in-the-know of Ork army building, so forgive me if my assumptions are off on them.
To my knowledge, Ork Nobs are both "Squad Leaders" and a sort of Warboss "Retinue." I'd consider a Squad of Nobz as "Heavy" whilst a Ork Nobs leading some Boyz would be considered "Light" due to the squad as a whole, rather than the idividuals it is compossed of.
Does that make sense?

Ard Boyz then (again assuming) are more heavily armoured by default, and so again, would be "Heavy" compared to "Light" armoured Boyz.

However, don't Boyz have the option for improved armour? Which sort of throws my previous assumptions out the window. But if we only consider Standard Wargear as point of comparison, then upgrades are irrelevent.

My head hurts XD

If you want a more 1-2-1 discussion, then don't hessitate to message me. I'll have a look at the model/unit, and give you a distinct verdict.

Quote from: Ra´Meses on April 30, 2013, 04:47:50 PMA question from a newbie if it is allowed. Is the contest for Sci-fi only or can you enter fantasy models.
The Contests are open to near enough any Wargaming game system. Individual Contests are limited to a Title category, like Warlord (HQ, General, Big Boss, etc), and Heavy Infantry (what we're currently discussing).

Hope I've helped you Ra ^_^;;

Paradoxrifts

Just to follow up on what I already said, if it were up to me I would allow ordinary grunts with upgraded armour saves into the heavy infantry category but only so long as some conversion work had been done to represent the upgraded armour save.

So plastic Cadians that have seen some conversion work so that they resemble the Cadian Stormtroopers in carapace armour, or Ork Boyz who look like they've swallowed an acme magnet and then wandered through a junkyard would be cool in my book.

The official word from on high may vary somewhat though. :P

Narric

I think that would confuse matters. If we stick to non-upgraded stats, it should be easier to figure out whats Heavi Inf and not.

By the way guys, you only have two more weeks to submit your entries.

knightperson

Bother. I'm probably not going to get enough
Spoiler
Warpborn Skinwalkers
painted in that time.

EDIT: wait, game legal only requires 3 of the little buggers. I might be able to pull that off!
Cured of what I'm suffering from, but suffering from the cure.

Narric

Only 12 days left!!! And I've had no entries D:

Will's on Fire

Jonagon

Am such a hobby butterfly I've started several heavy infantry models and finished none. So yeah.. probs not happening really.

Good luck to all though!