News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Landterrors Contest 2013 [Voting]

Started by Narric, December 23, 2013, 01:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Choose 1 Entry

A. Giant Spider
1 (7.1%)
B. Skaven Monster
8 (57.1%)
C. Eldar Wraithknight
4 (28.6%)
D. Tyranid Swarmlord
1 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: December 30, 2013, 01:57:17 PM

Narric

The ground is shaking. Are you ready for these beasts?

A. Giant Spider

B. Skaven Monster

C. Eldar Wraithknight

D. Tyranid Swarmlord

gorlak

Hm, had hoped this one would lure more entries. But hey - it's more than last month :D And the level is very high - I fear I might come in last in this round!

silverfuge

I apologise I couldn't get any decent pics of my dweller in the dark before it got a little wrecked although I know it would not have stood up to these bad boys.
Gm is God

scar face

Whoever has the swarmlord, desklamp snap ;)

silverfuge

I just hope this doesn't bias your vote, you being brother in lamps and all.
Gm is God

Mabbz

I have a silver one of those lamps. I promise my vote isn't biased though.

Narric

I love it when the votes come together ^_^

In first place we have:
Gorlak, with his Skaven Monster

Then in Second place we have:
Tom, with his Eldar Wraithlord

And in joint Third place we have:
Scar Face, with his Giant Spider
& Ibsalot, with his Tyranid Swarmlord

Excelleng work chaps. Awards Seals and Points will be sent out shortly ^_^

Tom

I'm really surprised by the votes here - I really liked Scar Face's Arachnarok Spider, I thought it was pretty much faultless, I especially liked the eyes and fangs. The only thing I can suggest to perhaps improve the mini would be more a little more contrast in the joints - maybe with more black like the fangs. Also - is the blood on the orc's sword the new special effect blood?

The airbrush work on Gorlak's Hell Pit Abomination was very good, I suspect the warpstone was the deciding factor - but for my sake at least please please invest in some green stuff and a file Gorlak! I think you can get away with it on such a busy sculpt but the mold lines and large gap in that lower right limb are still bothering me. And where's the base?

Also (one more very little thing)  - what happened with the captions Narric? I see my wraithlord has been promoted back from knight to lord?

Narric

I noticed I misnamed your entry when I was doing that announcement ^_^;; I'm surprized I wasn't pick up on the mistake. :P

I've also slipped on Captions for a few entries. something I'll correct for next year definately.

gorlak

Wow - incredibly surprised by this one!

I genuinely ment it when I said I didn't expect to end that high in this one. I thought that Arachnarok was just superb and that Wraithlord has some smooooooth whites and either decals or freehand. I think it perhaps comes down more to model-look (awe-factor) than painting in some cases.

@Tom:
It doesn't have a base because even though it looks like a Warhammer Fantasy monster that's not what it'll be used for :P

And you are quite, quite right - I have NO idea how I missed that ENORMOUS gap in it's leg. I first noticed it the night of the deadline when taking the pictures, so couldn't really fix it there. But I have a sneaking suspision that the crack might have appeared post-paint since it did a bit of traveling - but who knows :D

But it's great with some comments, and great that there where 4 entries in this round. Perhaps Special Chars will be 5 entries? :D Perhaps Thantos have been sturred from his slumber, ready to paint? :D

silverfuge

Gm is God

Tom

Quote from: gorlak on January 01, 2014, 12:41:22 PM
... that Wraithlord has some smooooooth whites and either decals or freehand.
I can't decide whether I should be frustrated or flattered when my freehand is confused for decals - Thank you very much for the compliments though.
Quote from: gorlak on January 01, 2014, 12:41:22 PM
It doesn't have a base because even though it looks like a Warhammer Fantasy monster that's not what it'll be used for :P
Now I'm intrigued - this is why we should have kept up with the 10-word captions and you could have let us all know through that. What are you going to use it as if not a Hell-Pit Abomination? I'm imagining it as a daemon of some sort but I'd be very interested to know.

gorlak

Quote from: Tom on January 01, 2014, 11:09:17 PM
I can't decide whether I should be frustrated or flattered when my freehand is confused for decals - Thank you very much for the compliments though.
Haha you should take it as a compliment :D I really admire your smooth painting style. Especially the Rangers you did some months ago, those where display quality in my opinion - I also think you should have been rewarded more for the white on that Wraithknight :D

Quote from: Tom on January 01, 2014, 11:09:17 PM
Now I'm intrigued - this is why we should have kept up with the 10-word captions and you could have let us all know through that. What are you going to use it as if not a Hell-Pit Abomination? I'm imagining it as a daemon of some sort but I'd be very interested to know.
Well, the caption wouldn't have helped since I just put something like "too horrible to die!" or some such. But I did PM Narric and asked if it should be based or not, because then I would base it for the photoshoot and then unbase it again :D

And in my spare time I'm part of what I guess would be called a youth center? anyways, it's volunteer works for kids in my neighborhood. And the ones I have is boys aged 12-15 and I have been involved with this group since those kids where around 8-10. Both me and the other guy that have this group love RPGs and we have slowly been introducing more and more boardgames into the activities as a gateway drug to true RPGs :D and lately we have been using some advanced version of Descent without a boardgame but still with minis as a middleground between pen and paper and Descent. But we usually remove the base of most of the models we use, if they can stay standing without a base :D

Tom

That sounds like a great thing to do - I can only imagine the fantastic reaction if you were a DM for some sort of RPG and you pulled out that monstrosity as the next challenge for the group to face.

scar face

Quote from: Tom on December 31, 2013, 10:05:14 PM
Also - is the blood on the orc's sword the new special effect blood?

Ah the orc wasn't reaaally supposed to be in the pic, but I couldn't get home in time from uni to take a solo pic so had to make do with an older one.

I usually just get a knackered old brush or sponge and feather different layers of red on, then paint a coat of gloss varnish over the top.