News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

400 Points Combat Patrol List(s) - Imperial Guard / Astra Militarum

Started by Sorck, January 09, 2017, 06:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorck

I've been thinking about having a dedicated combat patrol army for a while now and one of my favourite choices for this is Imperial Guard.

Chimera chassis vehicles and sentinels are available for us in combat patrol, as are the staple of either platoons or veterans (or even penal legions if you are that way inclined).

I've been thinking of a setup along the lines of the following. NB: If these points are off it's because I'm doing them from memory.

Platoon Command Squad - autocannon, vox-caster - 45 points
Shock Troops - autocannon, vox-caster - 65 points
Shock Troops - autocannon, grenade launcher - 65 points
Sentinel - armoured - 40 points
Chimera - hull heavy bolter - 55 points
Chimera - pintle heavy stubber - hull heavy bolter - 65 points

Every unit has a weapon with reasonable firepower: the troops provide 4 autocannons; the sentinel and chimeras a triad of multi-lasers; a couple of hull mounted heavy bolters; a heavy stubber; and a grenade launcher. Then there're also 23 lasguns.

You can either keep the shock troops out in the open, preferably behind cover, or can have some of them take up residence in a chimera. Whilst hiding they can still fire their autocannon - this means the chimera would have quite a few shots that can have a go at hurting any unit allowed in combat patrol, and quite a few shots that are great against anything less than MEQ.

The sentinel is mostly there to use up extra points. You may think it better to replace it and the heavy stubber with another shock troop squad. If you then also dropped the grenade launcher on one of the other shock troops squads and one of the vox casters then you can get an autocannon:

Platoon Command Squad - autocannon, vox-caster - 45 points
Shock Troops - autocannon - 60 points
Chimera - hull heavy bolter, turret multilaser - 55 points
Chimera - hull heavy bolter, turret multilaser - 55 points

This provides quite a few shots that can take out any enemy vehicle (max combined armour is 33 in combat patrol, as per 4th ed rule book) and can wound any enemy model.

Again it's a bit lacking against MEQ but that's why you have so many men. If you are facing MEQ then the tactic becomes order a blob squad to First Rank Fire! Second Rank Fire!.

Another alternative approach is to take the PCS and two shock troops w/ AC & Vox and then go for a couple of armoured sentinels and then add a unit with plasma weapons - perhaps a plasma veteran squad (on foot, or sell a sentinel to buy a chimera transport) or even some rough riders (can rapidly move into place and fire the high strength/low AP plasma weapons at the target).

C&C welcome.
Sorck