News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Unit 52 [OOC Thread]

Started by Narric, February 13, 2014, 07:56:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waaaghpower

I suppose you could argue that I'm not going for a combat build at all...
Then again, if I do go super-tank, I'll be immune to every weapon except the door melting gun...
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

No option for a sniper so far I see. Is that an oversight, or does the setting you have in mind not suit them?
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Waaaghpower

Quote from: Scout Sergeant Mkoll on February 13, 2014, 09:50:05 PM
No option for a sniper so far I see. Is that an oversight, or does the setting you have in mind not suit them?
Seeing as there are no ranges listed, you could probably snipe pretty well with any of the weapons. You won't get a  choice of weapon right away, but it looks like the melta-gun-thing will be a pretty good sniping option since it has high damage and minimal penalty to hit.

Narric

Quote from: Waaaghpower on February 13, 2014, 09:47:32 PM
Why did you say we're both going for shooters? I'm going mainly melee, 'cause with a combat shotgun I'll need a 2 to hit... With Melee, I need a 4. A little better. (I guess that with shooting I'll get twice as many chances to hit, but whatevs.)
You would need an 8 before midfiers, an the Hit modifiers mean you'd need a 10 to hit anything with your Range Skill :P In combat is the same.

Jayne on the other hand is 2+ to hit, and with the Combat Shotgun that would be 4+, with the Assault Rifle (fi I let him have it) would be 6+. In combat he'd be the same as you.

Keep in mind these are on a D12 ;) So Waagh, you're not gonna hit much :P

Quote from: Scout Sergeant Mkoll on February 13, 2014, 09:50:05 PM
In my mind, the setting doesn't suit them, as I currently have no plans that involve Sniping targets.

Quote from: Waaaghpower on February 13, 2014, 10:06:30 PM
Seeing as there are no ranges listed, you could probably snipe pretty well with any of the weapons. You won't get a  choice of weapon right away, but it looks like the melta-gun-thing will be a pretty good sniping option since it has high damage and minimal penalty to hit.
No ranges is becuase you'd essentially be fighting in areas where highest destance is going to be equivalent to ~12-18" on a regular 40k board. Hence why the Plasma Rifle has two shots.

Waaaghpower

I had the scales inverted (I was thinking low rolls were good and high rolls were bad) but my point still stands. No matter what, I've got a 1/3 chance of getting one hit per turn. (Well, either 1/3rd in close combat, or two 1/6 chances.)

Good thing I don't care about hitting much. Once again, I'm nigh impervious: I can keep fighting all day, nobody's going to kill me.
(Also, those'll officially be my stats, just for fun. I'll taunt all the enemies and try to get them all to shoot at me...)

Waaaghpower

I suppose a min-maxed enemy with S14 would cause D6 damage per hit, assuming he hits me... But then again, I'll do the same to him, assuming we're the same level, so it really turns into a luck-of-the-dice game since we'd have the same chance at hitting and stuff.

Narric

If you're going with it, write a bio about your character :P

I think to pull pre-existing material as reference, the Units are roughly what you'd get if you crossed Judge Dredd with Section 9, with a fair amount of 40k sprinkled in for flavour and such wat :P
Each unit is independant of the others. There are no transfers.

Depending on what kind of Bio you guys come up with, may influence where I go with the story. ;)

Quote from: Waaaghpower on February 13, 2014, 10:27:13 PM
I suppose a min-maxed enemy with S14 would cause D6 damage per hit, assuming he hits me... But then again, I'll do the same to him, assuming we're the same level, so it really turns into a luck-of-the-dice game since we'd have the same chance at hitting and stuff.
If the enemy rolls a Natural 6 when rolling damage, you're still going to take damage. I'm thinking an extra D4 in your case :P

There shall be no immortal characters in this RP ;)

Pilum

I'll jump in if you've still got room - and you don't mind, of course!

Melee: 6
Shooting: 7
Strength: 5
Resilience: 5
Mental: 7

A bit "average joe" but hopefully won't suck too much! Just a thought though narric; any options for pistols (purely as backup) or batons (to arrest rather than stab)?

Plus I have to join in asking - is a combat herring a misprint, and if not is there an option for a battle salmon? ;)

Edit----
Bio: Jeff Bibby, ex-Customs agent, assigned to unit following citations for several successful anti-smuggling operations. Still a bit more comfortable with desk work and research than high-intensity fieldwork, but he's not got this gig for no reason.

Feel free to play with the above if you need to narric. I wasn't sure how to interpret "no transfers"; I assumed you meant no "moved across from unit 75" rather than a "congrats son, here's your promotion to a better way of being shot at" as I figured these guys have to come from somewhere unless you are going for the "fresh off the hotdog run" approach..?
A prize from the My Little Warhorse story contest: http://gwarrior456.deviantart.com/art/Its-just-a-little-storm-430546453

Waaaghpower

Quote from: Narric on February 13, 2014, 10:32:33 PM

I think to pull pre-existing material as reference, the Units are roughly what you'd get if you crossed Judge Dredd with Section 9, with a fair amount of 40k sprinkled in for flavour and such wat :P

Depending on what kind of Bio you guys come up with, may influence where I go with the story. ;)

If the enemy rolls a Natural 6 when rolling damage, you're still going to take damage. I'm thinking an extra D4 in your case :P

Wait, what? When I asked about the whole instant-kill thing, you said that a '6' would just result in maximum damage. Does this maximum damage somehow bypass any and all armor?

Narric

Quote from: Pilum on February 13, 2014, 10:34:38 PM
I'll jump in if you've still got room - and you don't mind, of course!

Melee: 6
Resilience: 5

A bit "average joe" but hopefully won't suck too much! Just a thought though narric; any options for pistols (purely as backup) or batons (to arrest rather than stab)?

Plus I have to join in asking - is a combat herring a misprint, and if not is there an option for a battle salmon? ;)
You're currently dude number three :P

Quote from: Waaaghpower on February 13, 2014, 10:39:20 PM
Quote from: Narric on February 13, 2014, 10:32:33 PM

Wait, what? When I asked about the whole instant-kill thing, you said that a '6' would just result in maximum damage. Does this maximum damage somehow bypass any and all armor?
I realized when I made my previus post that their is no set Max Damage. I'm actually thumbling over it myself to figure out how to phrase it better. As currently nothing can actually harm you, and Natural Max of any dice often means a serious amount of damage, I'm trying to jar in

Hmm.. I hate thinking as I type :P Lets keep this simple.

If you can only be wounded on a Natural roll of 6, then you take the Strenght of the hit against you as damage (so 4 from a shotgun for each successful hit & Nat 6)
For characters with "Normal" levels of Resilience, a Natural 6 means 6 damage.

Does that seem ok to everyone?

Waaaghpower

In that case, I might go with a stat-line more like this, to avoid being completely worthless:
Melee: 4
Shooting: 8
Strength: 4
Resilience: 10
Mental: 4

Or possibly, 8 Mental and 4 Shooting.

Narric

You wouldn't be worthless. You'd be freakin difficult to kill, definately, you just wouldn't rack up as high a kill count as everybody else.

Awkwardly Pilum has a profile I was expecting :P I perhaps should have put some restiction of stat limits, but oh well. I overlooked that aspect, and now I'm having to find work arounds that don't kill off the game but ensure nobody is a walking god :P

We've had plenty of that from you Jayne ;)

Waaaghpower

Just to clarify: A natural '6' from a shotgun would cause 10 damage?
Seeing as at 10 Toughness I'm impervious to all but anti-tank weaponry anyways, I think it's fine. 'Sides, I can slways add a couple more points later.

Narric

We're going to put you in the category of only being wounded on a Nat-6, so only 4 damage ;)

Also, going by my first draft for HP calculation, your HP would be 36, so I doubt you'd be taken out that quickly. Jayne has 30hp, and Pilum has 24hp

Railgun Convention

I almost want to go assassiny, but with flamethrowers and shotguns being the norm, that doesn't seem smart. In that case, offtank:
Melee: 4
Resilience: 7
So how many crashes have I survived now?