News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Contest Suggestion and Discussion Thread 2014

Started by Narric, February 11, 2013, 06:45:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Select up to 4

Walkers Only Contest (Warmachine Jacks, Hordes Beasts, and 40k walkers?)
Custom Posed Single Miniature
Functional/Camo Paintscheme Function vs Heraldry/Faction Colours Paintscheme
Poorhammer
Music
Warlord Bodyguard/Retinue
Forgeworld/Game Expansion Miniatures
Wargaming video
Wargame Meme Contest
Create a Meme
2S Logo Decoration contest
Smiley Contest
House Rules (Create a Character? Redo an Existing Unit? Something new?)
Diorama
Scenario
Armies on Parade
Props
Artwork

Sorck

Quote from: Rarity Declis on September 01, 2013, 10:05:28 PM
Amused you're asking for my permission and such, Narric. i just say stuff and it's up to you to keep or toss what you like or dislike or change or whatever; you're the poor git who has to run it. :D
There's no reason he can't bounce ideas back off you... :P

There could be a contest where you have to use a miniature or parts of a miniature from two armies not allowed to ally and see what you can build from there. People could produce a mini duel or the classic genestealer in space marine armour or something else I've not thought of!

Rarity Declis

How about a Scavengers Competition? Think about converting a unit which has for some reason been cut off from their race, and are slowly using whatever they can find; think 13th Company nicking bits of Chaos Marine armour to keep going.

So, maybe a Tau Fire Warrior with a scavenged Bolter, and an Imperial Banner as a cloak against the elements, and maybe some cans of Imperial food around his feet...

Sorck

Quote from: Rarity Declis on September 02, 2013, 09:26:13 AM
How about a Scavengers Competition?
So would Orks be allowed given that they're an army which practically only scavenges?

Rarity Declis

Quote from: Sorck on September 02, 2013, 09:31:41 AM
Quote from: Rarity Declis on September 02, 2013, 09:26:13 AM
How about a Scavengers Competition?
So would Orks be allowed given that they're an army which practically only scavenges?

I imagine so, but as long as it's clearly scavenged, not Ork made... if that makes any sense.

Narric

Just updated the OP to include some of the more recent suggestions.

I'm tempted to start the Music Contest. However, I thin we have enough going right now :P

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

How about a Create a Unit competition? I know that some races it'd be tricky for, but there's still plenty of options that could be used.
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Narric

We could do that next month :)

One thing that springs to mind is a Crossover Unit Creation contest. Lemme explaim. Take a unit or character from one Game System, and translate it into another. How does that sound?

Mabbz

I'm not convinced that'd make an interesting contest. It wouldn't test our creativity, since we would just be adapting other people's work.

Narric

Need more Contest for other game systems :(

What about "Warjack" Painting contest? Or Infinity Character Contest? Or Warpath contest?

Narric

This Thread is primarily for discussion what should and shouldn't be entered into future Contests. I know full well that there is a great deal of ambiguity with the new contest structure, so here I shall try and clear the mess. I do wish that all potential entrants cast their opinions here, so that future contests aren't plagued by ambiguous restrictions and limitations.

This is the current Rules and Restrictions for each Contest Category:
Warlords
Spoiler
- The Warlord may not be a named Special Character.
- The model(s) must be Game-legal.
- Transports do not need to be included, unless explicitly sated otherwise by Codex/Army Book/Rule Book/etc...
- Up to three pictures may be submitted for the entry. You are limited to 800 x 600 pixels for picture dimensions. Don't hesitate to ask for help if you're not used to picture editing.
- Depending on numbers, Voting may be split in Master and Novice tiers.
- All Models must be fully Painted.

Special Characters
Spoiler
- The Special Character may only be a single miniature.
- Transports do not need to be included, unless explicitly sated otherwise by Codex/Army Book/Rule Book/etc...
- Up to three pictures may be submitted for the entry. You are limited to 800 x 600 pixels for picture dimensions. Don't hesitate to ask for help if you're not used to picture editing.

Heavy Inf
Spoiler
- The model/unit must use a 40mm or larger base.
- It may not be a "Bike/Horse/Mounted" or "Jump Infantry" unit.

Light Inf
Spoiler
- The model/unit must use a 202mm, 252mm base.
- It may not be a "Bike/Horse/Mounted" or "Jump Infantry" unit.

The Cavalry
Spoiler
- The model/unit must be a "Bike/Horse/Mounted" or "Jump Infantry" unit.

Big Guns
Spoiler
- The model/unit must to the Army/Factions largest/most destructive weapons.
- It may not be a unit that fulfills "Heavy Inf" or "Light Inf" prerequisites.

Skymasters
Spoiler
- The model/unit must be a large Creature or Construct capable of Flight.
- It may not be a unit that fulfills "Heavy Inf," "Light Inf" or "Big Guns" prerequisites.

Landterrors (formerly "Beasts")
Spoiler
- The model/unit must be a large Creature or Construct that has not been upgraded for Flight.
- It may not be a unit that fulfills "Heavy Inf," "Light Inf" or "Big Guns" prerequisites.

Writer's Contests
Spoiler
These will often be open for all entries, and all Writing contests will have the following rules:
- Must be connected to at least one Wargame (Warhammer 40k/Fantasy, Warmachine/Hordes, Infinity, Warpath, Kings of War, etc...)
- Crossovers are allowed, provided characters/factions act and stay in character.
- A Title must be included.
Writing contests are sometimes split into different lengths. Short stories are considered to be a minimum of 100 words long, whilst Long stories need to be at least 750 words.
Franchise specific crossover contests will be arranged when there is high enough demand for it.

If you have a suggestion to clear ambiguity of a contest or contests, please write a reply here, and cast you voice into the discussion.

Good luck to future contestants and entrants.

From
Narric, Contest Board Leader and Moderator

Sorck

Slightly different style of contests:
  • 2S Logo Decoration contest - make something (digital art, physical or other) based around the 2S logo.
  • Smiley Contest - make a smiley set... quite a simple idea really. Not sure on the practicality of it though.

Narric

Does sound cool Sorck :)

I've also spoken to Thantos, and we may also run a contest for the design on the Second Sphere Shoulder Pads. Currently have  a blank for SM Pads, and I'm sure people can easily make designs for Tau and IG.
Not sure what other races could have. Maybe Banners for both flavours of Eldar and Orks? Some factions like SoB and Nids would probably have to be a colour scheme though :(

Narric

A nice big poll has been added. Currently you may select up to four contests you'd like to see this year. Don't wory about secrecy, in fact I'd much prefer it people who vote, say what they voted for any why.

Also, don't forget that the rules for next years contests are on display for discussion. If you think a distinction needs to be made, do say so.

Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus

What is Function vs Fluff and Scavenger contests?

I also think music would be a cool unique thing...I'm an avid music writer myself and it'll be interesting to see what kinda music comes out of the forum to express warhammer 40k races (or even fantasy, other wargame modes, etc).

Quote from: Narric on August 15, 2011, 12:09:07 AM
You make it sound like it could be wearing a top-hat and monocle, but for the sole reason it'd have been painted by Gareth that it would still look terrifying........I have to say I agree. XD
Quote from: Greg Mun

Narric

Quote from: Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus on December 29, 2013, 11:08:56 PM
What is Function vs Fluff and Scavenger contests?

"Function vs Fluff" woud be a paintscheme that is more of a camoflage. Most miniatures for wargames are painted in very bold and stricking colours, which in a functional sense just make you an easier target.

Scavenger is kinda like a Bitz Box Bash contest, accept the model doesn't have to be game legal. Just look cool and/or interesting. Like a Space Marine with Tyranid Arms (Genestealer Cult?) or a Tau fire Warrior with a Boltgun and IG banner for a cape :P To give an example ;)