News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Deathwatch - The Dread Hulk [Sign Up / OOC]

Started by Wargamer, September 23, 2012, 07:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wargamer

Yeah, I like that actually! :D

Edit: Power maul is in. It's not a very strong weapon, but in the right hands it can be used to 'stun-lock' enemies with contemptuous ease. :P
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Lord Sotek

Okay, so...

Quote from: Mabbz on September 24, 2012, 09:04:09 AM
WS - D8
BS - D20
S - D8
T - 6
W - 8
I -D16
A - 3
S - D8
W - D8

7+4+5 = 16 points.

I hope you realize that purchasing two super-high stats like that has effectively compromised your ability to do anything else, and that high stats suffer diminishing returns because of increased points cost; you're actually more powerful "overall" if you step things back a little. Interesting choice on two extra wounds though, that might well be a smart choice on a plasma freak. ;)

If I were building this character, I'd suggest at least dropping BS down to D16 so that you can bump two of your character's other stats to D10's and not be so cripplingly overspecialized. But it's your character, so it's your choice.

Hardpoints - Rosarius
Softpoints - Bolt pistol, 2 x frag grenades, 2 x standard (Box), fill the rest with plasma ammo

I realize the Red Talons are stated to be an Iron Hands successor ( nice choice to suit the twin plasma pistols and the meltagun  ;) ), but why does he have a Rosarius? AFAIK only Chaplains get those.
Quote from: Saulus on March 17, 2011, 06:16:56 PM
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my

Wargamer

Yeah... the Rosarius would require some explanation. It's not something you can just 'have'. :P

People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

Lord Sotek

While I'm at it...

Quote from: Railgun Convention on September 24, 2012, 06:27:56 PM
Codicer Zoltan

Wargear:
Force-focusing Thunder Hammer

Hard Point:
Combat shielding - wide adamantium arm guards with built in shield generators. Essentially an upsized combat shield attached to each arm.

Not one, but two oversized combat shields and a thunder hammer? Let alone in cramped, close quarters fighting?

Since you're already a librarian with a psychic hood, why not use your hardpoint for one of those devices that use the wearer's psychic power to project a defensive force field? It'd work just the same as protection, if not better, and doesn't require you to carry a poker-table-sized slab of metal on each arm.
Often I hear delusional ramble like "I painted and collected my army as ultramarine tyranid hunters....but Pedro is really good, so now I'm using him, but I'm just going to call him Jimbob-Fistpumper, cause that fits with my

Railgun Convention

Quote from: Lord Sotek on September 25, 2012, 03:42:25 PM
While I'm at it...

Quote from: Railgun Convention on September 24, 2012, 06:27:56 PM
Codicer Zoltan

Wargear:
Force-focusing Thunder Hammer

Hard Point:
Combat shielding - wide adamantium arm guards with built in shield generators. Essentially an upsized combat shield attached to each arm.

Not one, but two oversized combat shields and a thunder hammer? Let alone in cramped, close quarters fighting?

Since you're already a librarian with a psychic hood, why not use your hardpoint for one of those devices that use the wearer's psychic power to project a defensive force field? It'd work just the same as protection, if not better, and doesn't require you to carry a poker-table-sized slab of metal on each arm.
I guess I was thinking of somewhat larger corridors...

*rethinks*
So how many crashes have I survived now?

Wargamer

Railgun, you may wish to view some of the new equipment options... specifically, the "Fields" (all of which take up a Hard Point, by the way. ;)).

Mabbz

Quote from: Lord Sotek on September 25, 2012, 03:16:18 PM
Okay, so...

Quote from: Mabbz on September 24, 2012, 09:04:09 AM
WS - D8
BS - D20
S - D8
T - 6
W - 8
I -D16
A - 3
S - D8
W - D8

7+4+5 = 16 points.

I hope you realize that purchasing two super-high stats like that has effectively compromised your ability to do anything else, and that high stats suffer diminishing returns because of increased points cost; you're actually more powerful "overall" if you step things back a little. Interesting choice on two extra wounds though, that might well be a smart choice on a plasma freak. ;)

If I were building this character, I'd suggest at least dropping BS down to D16 so that you can bump two of your character's other stats to D10's and not be so cripplingly overspecialized. But it's your character, so it's your choice.
True, and I imagine sagacity would be useful with all those plasma weapons. And Ws is always useful, so I think I will change that.

Hardpoints - Rosarius
Softpoints - Bolt pistol, 2 x frag grenades, 2 x standard (Box), fill the rest with plasma ammo

I realize the Red Talons are stated to be an Iron Hands successor ( nice choice to suit the twin plasma pistols and the meltagun  ;) ), but why does he have a Rosarius? AFAIK only Chaplains get those.
Quote from: Wargamer on September 25, 2012, 03:23:38 PM
Yeah... the Rosarius would require some explanation. It's not something you can just 'have'. :P
My only knowledge of the Rosarius is that Ministorum priests have them, so I figured they'd be a bit more commmon than that. I'll switch to a refractor field.

Railgun Convention

But I already have a Psychic hood :P

So, Sotek, how exactly do those psychic projectors work? Or would it be easier simply to treat it as an Iron Halo?
So how many crashes have I survived now?

The Man They Call Jayne

Techamarines dont get invuns do they? Although they have a 2+ save iirc. Im hoping the TL nature of my Plasma is going to save me from most of the issues I would have.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Lord Sotek

Quote from: Mabbz on September 25, 2012, 04:49:04 PM
My only knowledge of the Rosarius is that Ministorum priests have them, so I figured they'd be a bit more commmon than that. I'll switch to a refractor field.
Better. As I noted in my Marine's profile, R-fields are Guard issue rather than Astartes, so you should still give thought to how and why he has one. Is the Adeptus Mechanicus providing them because the Red Talons have a favorable relationship like the Iron Hands? If so, why? Even so, why him?

It's considering the little things like this that flesh out a character and win you RP brownie points. :P

Wargamer

Twin-linking is... not a mechanic that is being carried over the way it is in 40K. The Plasma Cutter can function as a plasma pistol if you want it to, but as I said it is not a weapon - it is a tool that can pass as one.

Likewise, your armour does not grant a saving throw. Your Toughness of 6 is in part because of your armour - something like an Ork would likely only be Toughness 4. A normal Human, an Eldar or a Termagant would likely be Toughness 3.

As to the various force fields... the Rosarius is specifically, and exclusively granted to pious servants of the Ecclesiarchy. Each one is a priceless relic of the Imperial Faith, hence why only Chaplains have one.

Refractors... they're just generally rare tech, but more universally available. Honestly, I think their lack of availability in the Marine Codex is simply down to gameplay mechanics - in older Editions it was entirely possible for you to have them. Now, really, Iron Halo's and Storm Shields have become so common that they're kind of redundant anyway.

The Man They Call Jayne

Ah right, in that case I will just have to hope that I have maintained it well enough for it to not cover me in superheated death :P As a techie I should hope so.

Lord Sotek

Hm, yeah. Maybe players can expend an Action on a difficult Sagacity check in order to try and mitigate or avoid an overheat?

Wargamer

Certainly a possibility - I may well roll some Sagacity tests and the like in secret, and then provide the results in a form of "maybe you shouldn't fire that again for a while..." :P

The Man They Call Jayne

Also then, given the lack of Twin Linking, is it worth me saying that my Pistol is Master Crafted? Will that make a difference?