News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Tournament Report 600 Points

Started by Arguleon-veq, December 15, 2012, 10:54:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

So our local club ran its first tournament today we had the hall for the full day and I provided 3 boards and the terrain for them to go with the 2 the club has [its mainly a mtg/other card game club].

So we would have 10 players.
600 Points each.
No Allies.
No Fortifications.
No Flyers.
No Special Characters.

1 HQ
2-6 Troop
0-1 Elite
0-1 HS or FA

Here are the lists taking part [quick versions]:

Space Wolves:
Rune Priest [Chooser],
Lone Wolf [Termie, Chainfist, SS],
10 Grey Hunters in a Pod [2 Melta, Wolf Banner],
5 Grey Hunters on foot [Plasmagun],
5 Long Fangs [4 Missiles].

Grey Knights:
Inquisitor [Psyker, Psycannon, Hammer Termie],
10 Strike Squad [Psycannons +Psybolts],
10 Strike Squad [Psycannons +Psybolts].

Blood Angels:
Libby,
5 Assault Marines [Melta, Powersword],
5 Scouts [Camo, Snipers],
Frag Furioso in a Pod,
5 Death Comp [Powerfist].

Sisters:
Canoness,
10 Sisters [Melta, Multi Melta] in Rhino
10 Sisters [Flamer, Heavy Flamer] in Rhino
8 Repentia.

Tau:
Commander [2 Shield Drones, Shield Gen, Plasma, Missile, Blacksun, fire both weps],
2 XV8 [Plasma/Missile, 2 Shield Drones, fire both weps],
2 Broadside [2 Shield Drones],
7 Fire Warriors,
7 Fire Warriors.

Daemons:
Khorne Herald on Jugger,
15 Bloodletters,
5 Horrors,
3 Flamers,
4 Screamers.

Guard:
10 Vets [3 Plasma] in Chimera,
10 Vets [3 Plasma] in Chimera,
Command Squad in Chimera,
Russ.

Orks:
Warboss [Claw],
30 Sluggas [Nob with Claw],
20 Shootas [ Nob with Claw],
10 Lootas.

Marines:
Captain [Power Wep],
10 Scouts [Sniper Camo],
10 Marines [Flamer, Missile],
5 Devestators [Missile, Las].

Grey Knights:
Inquisitor [Power Wep],
5 Termies [Hammer, Incinerator],
5 Termies [Hammer, Incinerator],
Vindicare.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Narric

Are you taking part? if so which army is yours?

That Tau army isn't going to do too well. Broadsdes will probably be targeted turn 1, and the rest of the army will crumple from there.

Be interesting to see how this Tourny goes/did go, becuase I play 600pt games at my GW.

Arguleon-veq

Round 1:

Wolves vs Termie GK
Tau vs Guard
BA vs Marines
Orks vs Daemons
Sisters vs GK

Dawn
Kill Points

My wolves made very short work against the termie GK. He reserved both termie squads so I could have tabled him turn 1, I killed his inquisitor with drop pod meltas but couldnt finish his vindicare. He got both units turn 2 but I just picked them apart for no real losses.

The other GK list easily handled the Sisters. Orks and Daemons was close with the Ork firepower sneaking it. The Tau couldnt fail shield drone saves to beat the Guard whilst Blood Angels overwhelmed vanilla Marines.

Round 2:

Table 1: Wolves vs Tau
2: GK vs Orks
3: BA vs Sisters
4: Daemons vs Marines
5: Guard vs Termie GK

Diagonal
3 Objectives

My Wolves dropped their squad on an isolated firewarrior unit to take them out whilst his shield drones took a lot of my firepower again. My lonewolf stalked the other fire warrior unit down and butchered them but I was worried about him blowing my scoring away untill his suits and commander failed a vital LD test and fled the table leaving my lone wolf to butcher the broadsides.

The GK dealt with the Orks fairly easily, the sluggas outflankig and getting gunned down for their troubles although the Orks took out the inquisitor and a fair few marines with those dangerous lootas.

In an upset the Sisters dominated the Blood Angels as they just couldnt pass 3+ saves against bolter wounds.

Daemons tabled vanilla Marines pretty badly as did the Guard against termie GK.

Round 3:

Table 1: Wolves vs GK
2: Daemons vs Sisters
3: Tau vs Orks
4: BA vs Guard
5: Marines vs Termie GK

1 Objective each,
Dawn.

I had played this game against the GK player a few weeks before and he eeked out a victory against me on secondary objectives. With this in mind he set up super defensivly knowing I couldnt keep my lone wolf back and he should shoot him down for first blood. I put my priest right on 1 flank and missiles on another just to sneak some shots into some hiding GK on my left flank whilst my lone wolf hopped from LOS blocking terrain to LOS blocking terrain. My firepower made an impact and really weakened his squad holding his objective which meant they couldnt shoot down my lone wolf with them who then got in and finished the squad and inquisitor, giving me the game.

Tau utterly blew away the Orks, the Ork list was shooty but just couldnt compete with Tau in that department.

Daemons made pretty short work of the Sisters, their bolters just couldnt take down those dangerous screamers and flamers in time.

The Blood Angels won a tight game against Guard thanks to the Furioso netting him first blood and eventually taking out all the guard scoring by turn 7.

Termie GK edged a win against vanilla Marines.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Arguleon-veq

Round 4:

Table 1: Wolves vs Daemons
2: Tau vs GK
3: BA vs Orks
4: Sisters vs Termie GK
5: Guard vs Marines

Dawn
3 Objectives

My opponent got his letters and screamers down turn 1 but the screamers mishapped and went back into reserve. My shooting only took down 4 bloodletters but I then charged them with my lonewolf. I issued a challenge which his herald took, which cost him the game really as it tied up his bloodletters all game and my lone wolf eventually killed the herald.

His flamers though did hit with their deepstrike and wipe out my fangs in 1 turn then survived my return fire and killed half or another squad before dying whilst my 10 man squad took care of his screamers. Giving me the win.

In another big upset the Tau player dealt with the GK player and got a big win. It mainly come down to a depleted strike squad failing a charge on the broadsides alongside the inquisitor and then losing both because of it.

The Blood Angels crushed the Orks, the Furioso killing most of the army on its own with its mighty frag cannon. Sisters dominated termie GK whilst Guard dominated the Marines.

Final Round:

Table 1: Wolves vs BA
2: Tau vs Daemons
3: GK vs Guard
4: Sisters vs Orks
5: Marines vs Termie GK

Diagonal
Kill Points

If i lost this and the Tau player won, he could come first or the BA player I was against. I dropped my Pod on his assault squad, killing a few. He drops his furioso on my fangs and kills most of them but then a living lightning in the rear glances it to death. My grey hunters finish the assault squad and slowly make their way across the table to deal with those scouts. The death comp and libby come at my lines but they are weakened with shooting before my lonewolf finishes them.

The Tau smash the Daemons in another big win. The GK get a close with against Guard thanks to taking out the leman russ turn 1.

The Sisters get another big win against Orks and sneak up the table whilst Marines beat the Terme GK in a close game in their rematch.

Final Standings:

1. Wolves
2. Tau
3. Sisters
4. GK
5. BA
6. Daemons
7. Guard
8 Orks
9.Termie GK
9. Marines

Post Tournament Thoughts:

I got first place, I was hoping to just watch today but due to uneven numbers I had to play. I actually thought the GK player would beat me based on our lists and practice game and that he would edge me out but with me winning that game and him slipping up again it was wide open for me to win.

There were some seriously suprising results. The Tau did fantastic, my mate using them is a tournament player and always has been but the last few years it has all been fantasy and he has hardly played 40K this edition. The Sisters also got some shock results and because of some early losses managed to sneak up past a lot of players to 3rd.

GK and BA did solidly with 3 wins each but with their lists and experience were expecting top 3 along with me. I was pretty shocked at how poorly the dangerous Guard and Termie GK lists did.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

BigToof

Very interesting tourny, and I'm a bit surprised that Wolves seemed to dominate at 600, as you always think that <1000 is where Xenos tend to like it (Although Tau did do a great job as well).

Hope to see more!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

Narric

Well, the results aren't exactly as I expected. Good show on the Tau player for coming 2nd. Maybe the codex DOESN'T need a huge overual to work effectly.

Excellent report. Will there be anymore torunies sometime soon?

Arguleon-veq

I actually think Tau can work pretty well at the minute and what makes it even better for them is that I think they can actually deal with the current meta necron list that everybody is running.

I have a 1750 Point 1 Dayer [3 games] in Jan which should have between 8-16 Players.

A heavily comped 2 Dayer in Feb [6 games] using the swedish comp system which gives each army a points allowance and each unit takes so many of the points, for example Wolves get 12 points and each long fang squad is 3, each rune priest is 3, each grey hunter squad is 1 etc. 1500 points day 1, 2000 day 2. That should be 40 players.

Then I may try and run a few more 600 pointers at the north west gaming centre for between 8-16 players.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33