News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

2v1 Space Wolves defense force

Started by Waaaghpower, December 11, 2013, 01:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Waaaghpower

I challenged a couple friends to a game which *will* kill me. Help me die less?
It's going to be like a six hour game. I've got 2500 points, they both have 2500 points. They're both taking Chaos Marines.
All I know for sure about their list is 4 helldrakes, 2 Daemon Princess, Typhus, and a Warpsmith. I expect plague Marines and Thousand Suns.
I do have one advantage, though: They're both dreadful at the game. Their strategy will almost definitely be to take a bunch of powerful units and run at me. They'll probably deep strike everything they can, too, if it's not running at me from across the board.
With that in mind, here's what I'm planning:
Thunderwolf Deathstar (To act as a powerful buffer between them and my heavy weapons.)
Njal Stormcaller (To smack down his psykers woth his 3+ null, and for his tempest.)
2 Rune Priests (For Prescience. In terminator armor too, to help soak up baleflamer damage)
5 Missile Launchers
5 Plasma Cannons
2 squads of Grey Hunters in Drop Pods with Meltaguns (as Tanksassins)
2 squads of Grey Hunters with Plasma (as body shields)
Wolf Guard (Some as captains, including a terminator/Missile guy in both heavy wep squads, the rest in a drop pod with combi weapons.)
Aegis Line
Firestorm Redoubt

The plan is to hunker down and zap anything that gets close. The Thunderwolves prevent anything from getting into assault range without hitting a brick wall first, the melta drop pods pop his distant tanks, the plasma grey hunter pod takes out special squads hunkering in the distance. Any tips?
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

Waaaghpower

Whelp. This won't be hard.
They aren't taking any Helldrakes. And are investing nearly 2000 points in giant psykers. And we're doing killpoints.

Arguleon-veq

Space Wolves have a really hard time against Helldrakes, without them in the list it makes things much easier.

With being kill points though an army with double the points of yours really should get the job done, even if its as simple as shooting you with shooty units are charging you with combat units. If it doesnt they have taken a terrible list. If it was objectives then I can see your half points force getting a result but not in kill points, let us know how it goes.

2000 points in Psykers? im assuming the are tooled up Princes?.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Waaaghpower

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on December 12, 2013, 09:33:29 PM
Space Wolves have a really hard time against Helldrakes, without them in the list it makes things much easier.

With being kill points though an army with double the points of yours really should get the job done, even if its as simple as shooting you with shooty units are charging you with combat units. If it doesnt they have taken a terrible list. If it was objectives then I can see your half points force getting a result but not in kill points, let us know how it goes.

2000 points in Psykers? im assuming the are tooled up Princes?.
2 Princes, a Great Unclean One, a Lord of Change, Typhus, Pink Horrors.
They have no long range weapons save for 4 Obliterators, and no range at all except that, boltguns, and plasmaguns. (Oh, and some havoc launchers on rhinos.)  (Probably psychic powers too.)

It's really a pretty awful list. If they want to hurt me at all, they have to walk (or fly, in case of the princes,) all the way across the board. Or Deep Strike in, but either way they have nothing that can hurt me without taking a couple turns of firepower first.

Edit: (Additionally.)
There's a reason I even considered challenging them to this game. They have no idea how to build a list, exploit weakness, or press advantages. Their strategy generally boils down to "Take cool sounding/powerful guys and throw everything at the nearest enemy until something is dead.