News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Tyranids 2000pts [New Codex]

Started by Chris, January 21, 2014, 09:38:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Hey guys, so I got my Grubby mitts on the new bugs dex as I really fancied a new challenge and 'nids are simply so different to anything else in 40k, I thought I'd give them a try!
I've done a lil' bit of research into a few good combos, so this isn't just a wish list, but hopefully a fairly good list with a couple of ways to play it... I'll include a few notes as to why I chose each unit, C&C is most welcome!

HQ
- Swarm Lord: 285
Such an awesome model and the rules for him make him almost unmissable at 2000pt levels. His +1 to all reserve rolls will be very useful!

- Hive Tyrant: Wings, Indescribable Horror, Lash Whip and Bone Sword, : 230
So this fella is a huge points sink. The idea being I need something which can rapid respond to wraithknights and riptides being put on the board. I intend on walking him with the swarm, but he has the wings to enable him to get to where he is needed fast/ Poison (4+) is always welcome too!

Troops
- Termagant Brood x30 :120
- Termagant Brood x30 :120

What's a tyranid army without a small swarm eh? This could be a huge pain in the ass to anyone who has to stare down 30 fleshborer shots, or to find them simply sat on an objective!
-Tervigon - 195
- Tervigon - 195

And What Termagant horde would be complete without a few of these... Taking a brood of 30 means I get to put a Tervi' in as a troops choice... Sit them in the middle of each brood, they can churn out reinforcements, provide synapse and hopefully be casting Catalyst on their broods

Elites
- Venomthrope :45
- Venomthrope :45

I foresee these badboys becoming very popular. They are cheap and give shrouded. Plant them in the swarms to boost my survivability as we march across the board. They are also suprisingly proficient in CC thanks to poison again!

Heavy
- Trygon Prime: 230
Hopefully will be my first thing to come in from reserves (especially with the +1 from the Swarmlord), acts as frontline synapse, and give me the option to have my horde begin to arrive from his tunnel too (although that may be too slow)

- Mawloc :140
More out of intrigue, he sounds fun and its always useful to be able to break up gunlines by dropping a monsterous creature on them before disappearing and doing again! Can be a bit risky, but I think its worth the effort!

- Carnifex Brood x3, 3x Thresher Scythes Tail. :390
The punch behind the horde... I'm thinking of running these up a flank with the tyrant so making the opposition choose between 100+ minis which will hurt, or 4 minis which will REALLY hurt.

[Total: 1995]
And that's about it really... What are your thoughts?

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Poison on the Tyrant is useless. Most things you'll be up against you'd wound on a 2+, which is better than 4+ with a re-roll. (fairly sure that's how Poison works, though it has been a while :-\ ) I'd drop it and spend the points elsewhere.

Adrenal glands are similarly useless. The initiative boost from the Lash Whip should be more than enough, and +1S isn't that worthwhile because you get 2D6 + S against vehicles and wound most infantry on a 2+ anyway.

With the points freed up from those you can take either Old Advesary, making your Tyrant nastier in combat than both of the above combined would, or Hive Commander, allowing you to Outflank a Tervigon and start spawning Termagants on your opponent's doorstep, allowing the rest of your horde to move up with less fire coming at them.

Rest of the army looks fairly solid. Lacking in range, but that's how I like my Tyranid armies anyway. :P
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

Chris

Thanks for the input.
You're right on with how the poison work, but I have it so that I'm able to hurt the big monsterous creatures (like riptides and wraithknights)... My understanding of it is, the highest I'd have to roll to wound something ever would be 4, so for the biggies i'm wounding on a 4, but for the smallers then it can be 2+... I may be wrong though...

The Man They Call Jayne

With poison you can  reroll to wound if your S is over their T can't you?
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: Chris on January 22, 2014, 12:14:21 AM
Thanks for the input.
You're right on with how the poison work, but I have it so that I'm able to hurt the big monsterous creatures (like riptides and wraithknights)... My understanding of it is, the highest I'd have to roll to wound something ever would be 4, so for the biggies i'm wounding on a 4, but for the smallers then it can be 2+... I may be wrong though...
The way I remember it is that you need a 4+ at all times but if you would need less (3+ or 2+) then you'd be able to reroll. So against Marines you'd need a 4+ rerollable, which is statistically worse than needing a 2+. As I said, most of what you'll come up against is T3 or 4, making the Poison detrimental against all but a few opponents.

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

Brassclaw

I think your math on the Tyrant is a bit off, i have him priced at 255. Still I'm in agreement with Mkoll, Toxin Sacs and Adrenal glands are a bit of a waste buys, unless your buddies are wraithguard fiends. I run mine with 2 sets of Scything Talons, Wings and Old Adversaries, and hes come in at a pretty lean 215pts   

Chris

Hmm... I'll check and perhaps re-work the Tyrant...
If I was wrong then perhaps I could get a Crone in there....
They just look fun with they're S8 Vector Strikes....

Chris

Turns out you were correct! I also took out the Toxin and Adrenal on him, I toyed with the idea of getting a small unit of Gargoyles just to be annoying and fly around blinding people (just for poops and giggles really) But I decided otherwise...

CoffeeGrunt

A heads up on Poison.

In CQC, Poison means you can always Wound on at least a 4+. If you could Wound on a better roll, due to your Strength being greater than the opponent's Toughness, you can, but you'll never be worse than 4+. You also re-roll Wounds on Poison if your Strength is greater than their Toughness.

Ranged Poison doesn't have this because all ranged Poison weapons are considered to be Strength 1.
The only constant in the universe is change; the Wise adapt.

The Man They Call Jayne

So you could get 3 or even 2+ re-rollable? Nice.

CoffeeGrunt

Hence why you should never discount it on a high Strength unit, though people often do.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Quote from: CoffeeGrunt on January 23, 2014, 03:14:54 PM
A heads up on Poison.

In CQC, Poison means you can always Wound on at least a 4+. If you could Wound on a better roll, due to your Strength being greater than the opponent's Toughness, you can, but you'll never be worse than 4+. You also re-roll Wounds on Poison if your Strength is greater than their Toughness.
Interesting. When did this change? I always thought 4+ poison meant you always wounded on 4+ but could reroll if you normally needed better. Is it a 6th ed change or something that was put in an errata I missed?

Mkoll wins.

[img]http

The Man They Call Jayne

It's in 6th core rule book. I knew there had been a boost, just wasnt certain to what extent.

Waaaghpower

You're incredibly lacking in Anti-Aircraft. Your Hive Tyrant is the only model who can reasonably hit flyers, with his Vector Strike, but D3+1 S6 hits on side armor aren't much. If you're facing a Helldrake, Storm Talon, or for that matter any 12-12-10 or 12-12-12 vehicle, you will barely be able to scratch it. 2 or 3 Helldrakes will end you where you stand, since they wound your entire army on 2-4, penetrate everyone's armor, ignore your cover saves, and you've got jack to hurt them. Even Dakkajets, the Ork answer to airplanes which are trademarked as easy to kill, won't be taken down by most of your army and can fly around completely unimpeded once your Hive Tyrant goes down.
I'd at least give him Devourers, with BS4 he's even better than last edition at hunting flyers, and really your only good codex choice.

As for the rest of your list... It'll do great against scissors, but fail pretty badly against paper. It looks like somewhere on the far extreme of the 'Completely win or completely lose' spectrum. You've realistically got 5 models on the board that, once they die, the game is over. (Your 5 Synapse models.)  If your enemy doesn't bring enough AP3 or High Strength/Poisoned weaponry, they'll immediately lose because they can't knock out your synapse monsters (Unless, of course, they brought Aircraft, since you've got no Anti Air). If you do face an enemy like that, though, (Say, spammed Lootas, a bunch of Long Fangs, the aforementioned Helldrakes,) you'll lose in a couple turns once your synapse is gone.
Personal Preference, the Swarmlord isn't all too good without a retinue, (He dies far too quickly without 3 Tyrant Guard,) and he's too expensive with... Drop for another Hive Tyrant with wings and devourers. (You really do need some Anti Air if you want a chance.)

If I were to edit it, I'd swap your HQ for two Flyrants with devourers, and spend the rest of your points on prayer to the God-Emperor. There's not much else your codex can do, that I can think of.
Keep the Venomthropes just within 6" of everyone, as well bubble wrapped as Possible. With your Gants in front and big gribblies behind them, everyone except for the body-shields have a 3+ cover save unless your opponent can take out the Venomthropes. Not bad.
Super Mario 3D World is The. Best. Thing.

CoffeeGrunt

Quotebut D3+1 S6 hits on side armor aren't much.

Strength 7, so not too bad.