News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

2000 pt Dark Eldar for 6th edition- Grotesque Wall!

Started by Scyrex Deledras, July 07, 2012, 06:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scyrex Deledras

So, I've been toying with a list idea for 6th edition, and recently I had an interesting idea for a theme. I've always been curious about trying a Haemonculous-themed army, and although webway portals got a nerf, the changes to Feel No Pain means that most Dark Eldar units with Pain Tokens are still fairly survivable. With this in mind, I've decided to see what a Coven list in 6th might look like.

Coven of the Abyssal Heart

Haemonculous Ancient Rukifellith- liquefier gun, venom blade- 95

The leader of my army, I went with an Ancient over a regular Haemie due to his extra wound. Given that he'll be giving his leadership bonus to my Grotesques, I don't want him dying. He will, of course, be my Warlord.

7 Wracks- liquefier gun- 80
-Raider- 60
7 Wracks- liquefier gun- 80
-Raider- 60

I decided to take the Wracks partly for theme purposes, but partly so that they can go and grab objectives. I mounted them in Raiders so that I will at least have some lances, and equipped them with liquefier guns so that I can have some anti-infantry firepower.

5 Warriors- blaster- 60
-Venom- extra splinter cannon- 65
5 Warriors- blaster- 60
-Venom- extra splinter cannon- 65

The Warriors are pretty much a stable of my regular army lists, there to grab objectives, shoot tanks with their blasters, and perforate infantry and monsters with their Venoms' splinter cannons.

10 Grotesques- liquefier gun, Aberration w. flesh gauntlet- 390

The centre of my army, their job is literally to walk up the middle, absorb shots, and then smash things. I'm hoping that this Deathstar will be able to take on all comers, though Im a bit worried about mobile enemies who can avoid the Grotesque Wall, and Imperial Guard with their nasty Manticores. The Aberration is there to take challenges for the Haemonculous, and to paste enemy characters with his flesh gauntlet.

5 Scourges- 2 haywire blasters- 130

The Scourges are there for three reasons: firstly, they fit the theme (being Haemonculous creations and all), secondly because I like having some antitank in my army, and thirdly because the models are gorgeous. I'm really looking forward to using haywire blasters and their newfound ability to strip off hull points with relative ease.

3 Beastmasters- 5 Khymerae, 4 Razorwing Flocks- 156

Another unit that I've really wanted to try, and fits in with the "menagerie of freaks and monsters" theme going for this list. They will either be the hammer to my Grotesques' anvil, or will zoom ahead to tie up enemy gunlines/munch on poor unsuspecting tanks.

Talos "Whicker"- twin-linked haywire blaster, chain flails- 115
Talos "Flense"- twin-linked haywire blaster, chain flails- 115

Because this was a Coven list, I felt I had to at least take some Pain Engines. Their haywire blasters will allow them to be a threat to enemy armour at range. I plan to have them hover near the Grotesque Wall, strip off hull points from afar, and counter-charge anything that decides to take on my Grotesques.

Razorwing Jetfighter- night shield- 155

This being 6th edition and all....I felt I couldn't not take a flyer.  ;D

ALLIED ELDAR CONTINGENT

The Null (Farseer)- runes of warding, Fortune- 100

I plan to use the Medusae model for this guy to represent some sort of enslaved psyker/walking warp distortion field. He will be incredibly useful with his runes of warding, and I plan to walk him with the Grotesque, firstly to boost their Deny the Witch save, and secondly to make them even more durable with Fortune.

5 Rangers- 95

Background wise, I think these guys work because it's been stated that Rangers visit the Dark City. Gameplay wise, they give me another scoring unit and some interesting long-range capability. Plus, the models look really nice.

Wraithlord "Urkraellos the Ancient"- bright lance, wraithblade- 140

I figured that a Wraithlord would give me a nice trinity of monsters alongside the two Taloi, plus its more durable and has better ranged weaponry. Like the Taloi, it will be staying near the Grotesques for counter charge purposes (plus it will need to stay close to the Farseer to avoid wraithsight issues).

TOTAL:

Tactics:
As mentioned above, the three monsters and the Grotesque wall advance inerxorably, absorbing firepower and otherwise acting as a massive distraction while my scoring units get into position. The Beasts zoom up to attack, while everything else provides fire support.

So, any thoughts? I'm actually considering ditching a Grotesque or two for a second Haemie so that my Grots can be Fearless.

BigToof

Hi Scryex,
Sorry I didn't see this list earlier.
I think it's a good list, but if you can get that second Haemonculus, it would really help, not that many things are going to be going off with the Farseer on the table.
BTW, where are you going to bunker him up, as that is that is place that is going to take the most firepower.
I'm a bit unsure how you are going to weather the mass shooting that is going to be out there, unless you want to try WWP variants.
If it works, let us know!

Best,
-BT
BigToof Points:

Cammerz: 8
Waaaghpower: 1
The Man They Call Jayne: 3
Mabbz: 6
Archon Sharrek: 3

crisis_vyper

Quote from: BigToof on August 03, 2012, 02:51:35 PM
I think it's a good list, but if you can get that second Haemonculus, it would really help, not that many things are going to be going off with the Farseer on the table.
BTW, where are you going to bunker him up, as that is that is place that is going to take the most firepower.
I'm a bit unsure how you are going to weather the mass shooting that is going to be out there, unless you want to try WWP variants.
If it works, let us know!

Well, I think Urien Rakarth could take the roles of two Haemonculus, as he gives more pain tokens around.  Not to mention that he can regenerate his wounds.

And I agree, bunkering down would be beneficial for this unit. Maybe an Aegis defense line would work well with what you have in mind.