News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Sorck's 1500 point IG/BA Army

Started by Sorck, July 10, 2012, 10:56:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sorck

Welll... I've decided to do a little bit of a reword of my army list for 6th Edition. I've not read through the new rules as of yet but I have a vague idea of the new allies system so I've worked my two Imperial Armies into one. :D

So, without further ado:

HQ
Commander Dante - 225

Company Command Squad - 140

• Company Standard
  • Medik
  • Vox-Caster
  • Power Fist
  • Carapace Armoir
  • Grenade Launcher

Troops
5 Assault Marines - 140

• Power Fist
  • Plasma Pistol

Platoon A
PCS w/ Banner and Vox and Flamer - 55
Infantry Squad w/ Vox and Flamer - 60
Lascannon Team - 105

Platoon B
PCS w/ Banner and Vox and Flamer - 55

Fast Attack
Vendetta Gunship - 130

Heavy Support
Leman Russ Battletank - 170
  • Heavy Bolter Sponsons

Leman Russ Executioner- 230
  • Plasma Cannon Sponsons

Total 1490

I know I've not used all my points but I'm unsure as to what to fill that last 10 points with. :P

The Russes can camp near the back of the board just sniping out enemy units (e.g. MEQs).
Anti-tank is satisfied by the Vendetta Gunship and the Lascannon Team. The LR with the Battle Cannon can also provide some anti-tank where it's needed (assuming ordnance still works as it did in 5th...).
The IG infantry are capable of capturing objectives and providing a very small amount of anti-infantry fire power (emphasis on small amount :P). Orders from the 2 PCS and the CCS will allow them to keep them at a decent rate of First Rank Fire! Second Rank Fire! and also to keep them down to ground if they're needing to camp on objectives.
The last things of interest are the BA units. Dante and his Assault Marines can deep-strike to where they're needed. The only problem that I can foresee is that the Assault Marines could easily be shot to pieces in the opponent's turn after their arrival. However, I may just be being too cynical.

So, opinions on the list? Does 6th make this list function still? :P I remember IG were pretty good last edition so it would be a typical thing that they had degraded in performance.

Arguleon-veq

There are a lot of things with 6th that will effect this list;

You dont want a Fist on your Assault Sarg, he will die before he gets to use it now. Lightning Claw + Melta Bombs are what every Sarg should take now.

Im assuming all those Flamers because of overwatch? even so its not great, D3 hits on a charging unit is nothing special. Put those Lascannons in the squads, they should never be on their own like that in 5th or 6th. Id seriously consider swapping those Flamers for a few Plasma Guns too. You dont need horde killing power on Guard squads because your Lasguns provide that. You really dont need the Vox's either.

I dont think you need all that stuff on your Command Squad but as its important to keep your Commander alive now the defensive stuff may be worth it. Grenade Launchers always were and still are terrible though :p

Vendetta should always have the Heavy Bolters, 2 Points for 2 Heavy Bolters is one of the best bargains in the game.

Your Battlecannon got getter as its now S8 even witha partial now which is nice, you may want to throw in a Heavy Stubber on the Leman too as weapon destroyed results are random now, and its always nice to have the result go on a stubber rather than your battlecannon.

The Executioner is a risky move now though. It can hurt itself with overheats and with 5 plasma shots your going to get 1 a turn. So in a couple of turns you could end up with a dead tank thanks to your own plasma weapons.

Make it a Demol with Multi Meltas. That makes for a fantastic tank buster, the S10 will deal with all the Nob Bikes and Paladins you will be seeing in 6th and the Multi Meltas provide some nice extra tank busting.

X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Vyper

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on July 14, 2012, 12:33:38 AM
Your Battlecannon got getter as its now S8 even witha partial now which is nice, you may want to throw in a Heavy Stubber on the Leman too as weapon destroyed results are random now, and its always nice to have the result go on a stubber rather than your battlecannon.

Don't battle cannons suffer from the reduced damage chart being AP3, or did i hear wrong?

The Executioner is a risky move now though. It can hurt itself with overheats and with 5 plasma shots your going to get 1 a turn. So in a couple of turns you could end up with a dead tank thanks to your own plasma weapons.

Vehicles can overheat now?  :-\

Cammerz

Sadly vehicles now have a 50/50 chance to suffer a glancing hit if they roll a 1 to hit with plasma weapons. Yet another reason why vehicles aren't as good this edition.

As for the vehicle damage table, if a weapon has AP 1 or 2 then it has bonus modifiers when destroying armour. This isn't suffering, they just don't get a boost (except the boost for being an ordnance weapon where you roll twice for armour penetration and pick the highest).

Sorck

It certainly appears that GW haven't been kind to the Executioner. :(

Though I do like the random weapon destroyed thing. It means that the big guns will last longer on my tanks. :P Finally having a heavy bolter/flamer on an artillery piece can be of use even with no enemies within 36"/template range!

There are a lot of things with 6th that will effect this list;

You dont want a Fist on your Assault Sarg, he will die before he gets to use it now. Lightning Claw + Melta Bombs are what every Sarg should take now.

Im assuming all those Flamers because of overwatch? even so its not great, D3 hits on a charging unit is nothing special. Put those Lascannons in the squads, they should never be on their own like that in 5th or 6th. Id seriously consider swapping those Flamers for a few Plasma Guns too. You dont need horde killing power on Guard squads because your Lasguns provide that. You really dont need the Vox's either.
They're there because I've always taken flamers. I just find that a squad without a special weapon just doesn't seem complete. I think I worked out that it was cheaper to have heavy weapons in squads rather than separately but they're not so useful like that when you want your lasguns to try and take out some infantry but your lascannon to snipe a tank. I suppose that I could always make up for this by dropping the flamers and then adding in another couple of infantry squads to do some running about capturing objectives/firing at infantry?

I dont think you need all that stuff on your Command Squad but as its important to keep your Commander alive now the defensive stuff may be worth it. Grenade Launchers always were and still are terrible though :p
I think you can see that this list was never designed to take full advantage of maximum punch per point. :P I've never needed it as my opponents never seem to be capable enough - I've only had a couple of reasonably difficult to win games in the last 2 years. :-\

Vendetta should always have the Heavy Bolters, 2 Points for 2 Heavy Bolters is one of the best bargains in the game.
In 5th ed I'd argue that as a waste as your Vendetta shouldn't be firing at infantry/light tanks but the 6th ed rules regarding randomly destroying weapons make it more appealing to have these extra to HBs. And they're 5 times as many points as you stated for the pair. ;)

At least I didn't go and buy the squad of three I was planning a few months back! :o

Make it a Demol with Multi Meltas. That makes for a fantastic tank buster, the S10 will deal with all the Nob Bikes and Paladins you will be seeing in 6th and the Multi Meltas provide some nice extra tank busting.
Potential in doing that I suppose. That could be the next squadron for my tank company... if I ever get around to buying more models.

Arguleon-veq

Lol not sure why I put 2 points, but 10 points is still an amazing bargain. I double checked the executioner and for some reason the turret plasma weapon doesn't count as plasma and doesn't overheat, I do think that is just a mistake by GW though and will be FAQ'd. Plus you could still really do with the S10 of the Demol.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Sorck

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on July 15, 2012, 09:46:53 AM
Lol not sure why I put 2 points, but 10 points is still an amazing bargain. I double checked the executioner and for some reason the turret plasma weapon doesn't count as plasma and doesn't overheat, I do think that is just a mistake by GW though and will be FAQ'd. Plus you could still really do with the S10 of the Demol.
It probably wasn't intended to get the gets hot rule originally as it would make no difference on a 5th edition tank whether it was a gets hot or not. :P It might get FAQ'd or they might decide that it's too good to harm the tank. ::)

Related to this, I wonder if the Stormblade will have it's Plasma Blastgun gain the Gets Hot rule. Seems silly having a super-heavy killing itself...