News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Death Guard 1850

Started by Arguleon-veq, January 28, 2013, 11:14:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

I have a beautifully painted death guard army (because I didn't paint it) sitting in a box and getting no use. I thought that may change with the new codex but despite some nice choices I just don't think there is a competative build. Which is a shame as deathguard are one of the better choices in the codex. So I've given up on trying for a powerful build and instead am going for a build that will be able to take on regular lists and at least keep me in the game against the better lists out there and that won't cost me much.

Typhus (I have the old terminator sorcerer that I can use as him),
7 Plague Marines; 2 Plasma
7 Plague Marines; 2 Melta
Vindicator;
Vindicator;
(I have all of those and most of it is painted)

5 Spawn; Mark of Nurgle (I will convert Ogre Bulls so only 20 quid for a squad)
Helldrake; Baleflamer
Helldrake; Autocannon
(I have the latest undead zombie dragon so I will only need to buy 1 helldrake model, combine the kits and end up with 2 very nurgle looking helldrakes)
20 Plague Zombies (I will use Plague Bearers as that will also let me use them for Daemons both 40k and Fantasy)

So I am looking at finishing the whole army for under 80 quid.

The plan is a pretty basic slog into midrange and open up, Typhus joins the spawn to soak up firepower for them then they can act as my counter assault unit. Zombies will stay out of the way on an objective whilst I wait for the flyers to come in and do the heavy work.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chicop76

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on January 28, 2013, 11:14:50 AM
I have a beautifully painted death guard army (because I didn't paint it) sitting in a box and getting no use. I thought that may change with the new codex but despite some nice choices I just don't think there is a competative build. Which is a shame as deathguard are one of the better choices in the codex. So I've given up on trying for a powerful build and instead am going for a build that will be able to take on regular lists and at least keep me in the game against the better lists out there and that won't cost me much.

Typhus (I have the old terminator sorcerer that I can use as him),
Vindicator;
Vindicator;
(I have all of those and most of it is painted)

5 Spawn; Mark of Nurgle (I will convert Ogre Bulls so only 20 quid for a squad)
Helldrake; Baleflamer
Helldrake; Autocannon
(I have the latest undead zombie dragon so I will only need to buy 1 helldrake model, combine the kits and end up with 2 very nurgle looking helldrakes)
20 Plague Zombies (I will use Plague Bearers as that will also let me use them for Daemons both 40k and Fantasy)

So I am looking at finishing the whole army for under 80 quid.

The plan is a pretty basic slog into midrange and open up, Typhus joins the spawn to soak up firepower for them then they can act as my counter assault unit. Zombies will stay out of the way on an objective whilst I wait for the flyers to come in and do the heavy work.

If you are going to field 20 plague bearers/ zombies why don't you field the 20 man as plague bearers and field the Tally man. Although your guys will cost 10 points more and you may have to drop Typhus due to points as well unless you really want to play Typhus.

Arguleon-veq

I was looking at adding the tallyman but it just means I have to loose too much plus I dont think his rule will transfer across codex like that when new daemons are out.

I dropped a plague marine and the zombies for a lvl3 Biomancy Sorc who has been doing fantastic for me. Although i keep hoping for endurance on my spawn and never get it. Ive used it in 2 games so far and beat DE and SW with it. The spawn are amazing, typhus slows them down but he keeps them alive, kinda tempted to try a nurgle bike lord with the spawn instead but i like that 2+ save and the psychic powers from typhus.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chicop76

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on February 17, 2013, 12:58:59 PM
I was looking at adding the tallyman but it just means I have to loose too much plus I dont think his rule will transfer across codex like that when new daemons are out.

I dropped a plague marine and the zombies for a lvl3 Biomancy Sorc who has been doing fantastic for me. Although i keep hoping for endurance on my spawn and never get it. Ive used it in 2 games so far and beat DE and SW with it. The spawn are amazing, typhus slows them down but he keeps them alive, kinda tempted to try a nurgle bike lord with the spawn instead but i like that 2+ save and the psychic powers from typhus.

I hear you. That is why I stopped playing until Tau and Daemons has been updated. I might play my sister greyknight army for fun and my sister guard when I want to win.

I played the nurgle bike lord and he is really good. The template weapon is very nasty, but I was using the tallyman for the tallies with him.

Arguleon-veq

Yeah when running the tallyman the burning brand bike lord is probably the best way to get that tally going nice and fast. To get him in with enough plaguebearers to keep him alive would be about 340 points. So I'd be looking at losing a vindicator and plaguemarine squad which I don't suppose is too bad but my list isn't all that great at getting early kills with my nurgle guys. So I'd prob have to throw in the bike lord rather than typhus.

One minor issue I have with any kind of mark of nurgle on a bike is just that it doesn't really fit with a deathguard theme as they are all about boots on the ground, slow advance.

The Sorc has been a load of fun even without any upgrades, iron arming himself to T6+ then life leeching stuff to regain lost wounds. Just wish he had 3 base wounds. I should really have MoN on him but I don't want to lose a biomancy roll.

X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chicop76

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on February 18, 2013, 10:44:39 AM
Yeah when running the tallyman the burning brand bike lord is probably the best way to get that tally going nice and fast. To get him in with enough plaguebearers to keep him alive would be about 340 points. So I'd be looking at losing a vindicator and plaguemarine squad which I don't suppose is too bad but my list isn't all that great at getting early kills with my nurgle guys. So I'd prob have to throw in the bike lord rather than typhus.

One minor issue I have with any kind of mark of nurgle on a bike is just that it doesn't really fit with a deathguard theme as they are all about boots on the ground, slow advance.

The Sorc has been a load of fun even without any upgrades, iron arming himself to T6+ then life leeching stuff to regain lost wounds. Just wish he had 3 base wounds. I should really have MoN on him but I don't want to lose a biomancy roll.

I can imagine. With my nids with swarmlord, tyrant, and 3 terrigons I have a lot of random biomancy powers out there. I still debate giving up feel no pain for the random rolling. After a few games I can't complain about a 10 attack terrigon with preferred enemy aura on him. 3 out of 6 biomancy random powers are pretty good. Iron arm or the one wth feel no pain is nasty. I never tok regneration and found it is worth taking now. A t7-9 model with regeneration is awesome, or being able to role 5-6 to get a wound back and regen afterwards is also nice, only reason why I bother putting regen on my Trygon Prime.

Anyway I found Oblits with Nurgle marks are really good with the Nurgle theme. I was against bikers at first, but found they work rather well. I honestly forgot how mobile bikes are and how hard it is to kill them now. Also once they hit 20 tallies the bikes become nasty in combat and in shooting.

My problem I've found is should I take more bearers or marines. I think 20 bearers with the tallyman is enough daemons to take. You can take a boc herald and do a flamer type of deployment with him or have him add more wounds to the 20 man blob.

I wind up taking a helldrake for anti-air which I went with the auto-cannons. I've found the 2 games I used this army I went against no flyers, so the drake did nothing. I racked up so many tallies on the chaos marine side I forgot I even had the drake. I hit 20 really easy in turn 2 and it was game over. Heck once I start getting FNP rolls of 3+ it is pretty much game over.

Once the 3+ FNP kicks in your bikes and oblits get targeted much more. Everything is toughness 5 or 6 so you choices become should I shoot the bearers that have a +5 invul wth +3 FNP, should I shoot the marines with a +3 save and a +3 feel no pain, oblitits with a +5 invulnerable or +2 save, or the bikes with a +4 cover save and a +3 save. I found out of 2 games they went for my bikes.

Also with the tallies I found I didn't have to gear my Nurgle lord thanks to the tallies. Even so I stll tried to keep hik out of combat nids and greyknights are not the best armies to enter combat with.

I don't like Typhus overall. Funny thing about the Chaos book I see all the special characters as a huge point sink, even Abbadon. With Dark Angels a few specials are not point sinks and can really turn that army into something else. The zombies are cheap, but bearers are much better. If the zombies was followers of nurgle that I would run them. The problem with them they come of as annoying as hell, but that's that. They really not all that hard to kill and lack mobility and even range weapons. They have to enter combat to be useful. Although a whole army of theses guys would be interesting and they can hold objectives they still lack and real bite to them.