News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Making [Semi]Competative Themed Marine Lists

Started by Arguleon-veq, September 17, 2013, 09:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arguleon-veq

I am actually really liking the new Space Marine Codex. I think it lets players play to a wide variety of themes without handicapping their army. So with that in mind I thought we could try and come up with at least semi competative lists for each of the chapters represented in the book.

Here are some initial ideas;

Salamanders - 1750
Vulkan:

Its Vulkan, cant get fluffier than that for Salamanders.

10 Tactical Marines: Combi Melta, Meltagun, Multimelta
10 Tactical Marines: Combi Melta, Meltagun, Multimelta
5 Tactical Marines; Combi Melta, Meltagun

Drop Pod;
Drop Pod;
Drop Pod;

Melta Guns and Tactical Marines, Its almost like playing at the start of last edition!

5 Scouts; Camo, Snipers
5 Scouts; Camo, Snipers

Predator; Autocannon, 2 Lascannons

These are solid choices for any chapter.

5 Legion of the Damned; Multi Melta, Melta

Not exactly Salamanders but I think flames and meltas fit the theme really well and it really works with the whole deep striking melta build.

2 Attack Bikes; Multi Meltas
2 Attack Bikes; Multi Meltas

These 3 wheelers make up for the harsh terrain on Nocturne and more Meltas works nicely.

All in all your looking at some solid fire-power starting on the table with a lot of deepstriking melta coming in to bust tanks or kill off monsters/broadsides/centurians and you have some pretty solid scoring.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Rarity Declis

I oh so dislike copy-pasting a unit.

Also, a problem with hordes, I forsee. Yep, you've got Melta. But because vehicles aren't scary in this edition, everyone else is bringing the foot soldiers. More flamers, perhaps?

Arguleon-veq

The thing is though, unless your playing something like Orks, you would have lots of very similar units in a 40K army.

As for hordes though, Im seeing the total opposite these days. Its either vehicles, monsters or elite heavy infantry. The horde is already dead in this edition. Besides the Legion have bolters that ignore cover, Vulkan has a heavy flamer and the Marines put out plenty of bolt rounds too.

It would be nice to get more flamers in just for the theme though but im not sure where to put them, its a shame attack bikes cant have them. 

White Scars - 1750
Khan; Bike

Its a White Scars army, we have to have him to make it work really.

5 Bikes; Meltagun, Gravgun, Combi-Grav
+1 Attack Bike; Multi Melta

5 Bikes; 2 Gravguns, Combi-Grav

A solid score of very versatile scoring; its fast, durable, kills tanks with its melta, kills heavy infantry with its grav [and melta] and guns down hordes with its bolters and its not bad in combat with that S5 hammer of wrath, top it off with hit and run and scout and this is some of the best scoring in the game.

5 Terminators; TH/SS
Transport - Land Raider;

A wing of swift bikers to pin a target in place so that your armoured assault filled with the chapters elite can finish them off, perfect, plus thanks to Khan, this thing Scouts!

Adds to the mech assault backing up the scouting Bikers theme and they are as every nice, cheap, accurate and durable firebases.

Black Templars - 1750
Emps Champ;

Because its Black Templars!

Crusader Squad; 10 Marines, 5 Scouts, Champ with Axe. Powerfist, Melta.

Land Raider Crusader; Multimelta

Crusaders, in Crusaders, for a crusading Chapter! plus its pretty effective. Its solid scoring and some armies will have nightmares facing 3 Raiders.

Hunter;

We had 70 points left and for some reason this thing just looks like a black templar tank to me and we could do with some anti air.

Imperial Fists - 1750
Lysander;

Because its Imperial Fists! and it gives some nice counter assault/staller in our lines. 'You shall not pass wraithknight!'

10 Devis; 4 Flakk Missiles

This unit is nice and versatile, thanks to Tank Hunter it can pop flyers, tanks and infantry, plus we can combat squad it too.

3 Centurians; Lascannons, Missiles, Omniscope
3 Centurians; Lascannons, Missiles, Omniscope

Long range fire support with weapons that could punch holes in fortress walls, very Imperial Fists.

10 Tactical Marines; Heavy Bolter

Lets make the most of that Bolter Drill!

5 Scouts; Camo, Snipers
5 Scouts; Camo, Snipers

Somebody needs to snipe enemy snipers and find a back way in.

Defense Line; Quadgun

Seige Lines.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Kur'os

I rather enjoy the above Black Templar list.  ^ ^

Simple, but will definitely wreck opponents that aren't expecting it.  (Quick off topic question, what are the various Land Raiders points costs compared to the FW Achilles?)

-Kur'os

Arguleon-veq

Heres another fun one but it could actually work;

Ultramarines - 1850

Captain; Power Axe

10 Tactical Marines; Lascannon, Plasma Gun
10 Tactical Marines; Lascannon, Plasma Gun
10 Tactical Marines; Multi Melta, Grav Gun
10 Tactical Marines; Multi Melta, Grav Gun
10 Tactical Marines; Heavy Bolter, Flamer
10 Tactical Marines; Heavy Bolter, Melta

10 Devastator Marines; 4 Plasma Cannons
10 Devastator Marines; 4 Missile Launchers

10 Assault Marines; Melta Bomb for Sergeant
10 Assault Marines; Melta Bomb for Sergeant

So we have pretty much an entire company at 1850 points. Solid scoring and a lot of firepower.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Charistoph

Quote from: Arguleon-veq on September 18, 2013, 07:09:40 PM
Black Templars - 1750
Emps Champ;

Because its Black Templars!

Crusaders, in Crusaders, for a crusading Chapter! plus its pretty effective. Its solid scoring and some armies will have nightmares facing 3 Raiders.

Hunter;

We had 70 points left and for some reason this thing just looks like a black templar tank to me and we could do with some anti air.

Power Fists are less effective on Initiates, the Axes are better there.  Axes are poor for a model that may (and should) be called upon to be in Challenges and lacking a Shield, so Mauls and Swords happen to work out better.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?

Quote from: Megavolt-They called me crazy.  They called me insane!  THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right."