News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

The Skinny on Maulerfiends

Started by Chris, July 31, 2013, 03:14:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

Hey guys...
SO I picked up the Chaos Marines codex the other day. I've been looking through it and have found that I have fallen in love with the Maulerfiend model, so I wanted to ask.

Who has used them before, what sort of effect did it have, was it useful and what was the overall impression of them.
Thanks Y'all

The Man They Call Jayne

So far I have heard nothing really positive about them. They don't really do anything a Defiler can't do as well as it can and have more firepower and an extra hull point.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Arguleon-veq

They are nice and fast, I think if you want to run one though, you really have to run 3 to make them work.

They can seriously threaten a turn 2 charge but one is easy enough to shoot down. With 3 you can have them in an armies face and 9 AV12 HP's with a 5+ save [4+ cover if theres any ruins around] is pretty hard for a lot of armies to bring down.

I think triple maulers would work well by adding another fast threat on top of that, Nurgle Spawn with Bike Lord, Khorne Bikes with Jugger Lord etc.

What troops to throw in with that kind of build is an issue though, I suppose any shooting oriented marine squads sitting backfield are at least going to avoid taking any firepower for at least a few turns which will allow you to focus your fire on hopefully taking out whatever can shoot down your Maulers.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chris

Ok Thanks guys... So, a rough plan

3 maulers
Lord on jugger MOK
Lord on bike MOS
Khorne bikers
Noise Marines...

GIves me a versatile fire base and a fast and mobile assault wing to put pressure on.... As a very quick thought, how would that sound? (Aiming for 1500pts)

Fhanados

I haven't had a lot of personal experience with Maulers (I use Forgefiends though) but I think everyone has summed them up pretty well. Anyway here's my two cents:

• Maulers are fast. Really fast. This lets you choose your targets well and execute turn 2 charges pretty easily.
  • They're pretty cheap. Their base cost is only a little more than a non-stock Hellbrute and you get a lot more bang for your buck as far as melee is concerned.
  • You need more than one. They're big and scary and fast. They might be more durable than other AV12 vehicles, but they're still AV12 and they're a threat. Expect heavy fire focused on them early.
  • They can get tarpitted pretty easily due to their low number of attacks. Even with the extra 1-2 attacks from Magma Cutters you'll be killing a max of 5 models iirc.
  • They're AV12. 5++ and IWND help make up for this, but they'll still get smashed by melta, mass S6 hits from grenades and anything else thats used for taking out light armour.
  • They take up a heavy slot. Heavy support offers us ranged options we can't easily get elsewhere in our army, whereas melee is pretty evenly spread throughout the codex. For each Mauler you take (as mentioned earlier, you'll probably use more than one) you deny yourself one of these options.
  • When charging infantry (or anything with multiple attacks) try to combo-charge with a lasher fiend and a cutter fiend. You'll reduce the amount of hurt coming your way and get a few extra high S attacks in there too.
  • The models are cool.

Arguleon-veq

That kind of the list should do fine.

If your open to it and want a Khorne theme though what would really complement them would be Daemons. Throw in a Bloodthirster, a big unit of Flesh Hounds and a couple of deepstriking Bloodletter units they will have even more threats to deal with turn 2, you could even throw in another CSM HQ in the form of a flying Daemon Prince. Then just fill your scoring with cheap cultists.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

Chris

Ok, thanks guys.
I don't particularly fancy doing allies of any kind, so the deamon's is out of the question.
Perhaps I'll try a mock up list with a few counts as Maulers just to try them out before I commit. ALthough, I'll probably buy one of them at some point just because the model is gorgeous!