News:

Cammerz brings us some fantastically painted and customised Alpha Legion. Check out their work with detail shots and design insight.

Main Menu

Are flechette launchers the new disruption pods?

Started by knightperson, July 01, 2012, 07:49:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

knightperson

... and other changes to the Tau's vehicular options.

Sensor spines: I think they are largely unchanged. They might be a slightly better investment than before since our vehicles can more easily benefit from hiding in cover. I rarely used them in either 4th or 5th edition, and I doubt that will change much.

Targeting array: again, unchanged. Mandatory on warfish, pointless on pintofish, and optional on the in-between configurations. Almost mandatory on piranhas and heavy support vehicles also, unless you plan to just use piranhas to get in the way of things.

Multitracker: see targeting array. Since a Fast vehicle can fire 2 weapons at cruising speed, I think the warfish might be making a comeback. Without it, a gun drone equipped vehicle could actually fire the gun drones at their regular ballistic skill while taking snapshots with the burst cannon at cruising speed. For the heavy support vehicles it will be basically mandatory, as you don't want a skyray or hammerhead to be holding still (and being autohit in melee) so it can fire more than one weapon at regular BS.

Blacksun filter: good if you have spare points. Night Fighting is slightly more common in 6th than it was in 5th, so it might be a little more popular, but it's not a huge change. I still think it's a good investment on a skyray, since the markerlight hits can still be used for a bigger unit like a broadside team to autopass the night fighting.

Target lock: as before. Decent investment on hammerheads, and possibly useful on a fusion blaster piranha.

Flechette discharger: I think these are going to be all-but-mandatory now. With even a moving vehicle being hit on the rear armor on a 3+, any Strength 3 Rending or Strength 4+ melee units are going to be extremely dangerous to our vehicles. The only argument against flechettes, I think, is that vehicles are so weak to melee that if the enemy gets to grips with them at all they will die whether they're equipped with flechettes or not! I'll need more games of 6th before I can decide how I feel on that point.

Disruption pod: What was once mandatory is now USELESS! It will grant a 5+ cover save at range, but a moving skimmer gets that or better anyway. As long as there is some terrain to hide behind until the vehicle gets moving, I see no benefit at all to the disruption pod. Also, vehicles only need 25% coverage to claim that save, which should be pretty easy to guarantee even in the first turn.

Decoy launchers: Well, they now work on penetrating hits, fortunately, as that's the only way to produce an immobilized result. And they work against melee attacks as well. I think it's going to depend on the vehicle. A piranha or devilfish whose main job is to move around the battlefield and get in the way of things could benefit from this. For a hammerhead or skyray, it's probably not worth the investment as their purpose is shooting things more than moving, and an immobilized hammerhead is still fairly dangerous.

Let the discussion begin!
Cured of what I'm suffering from, but suffering from the cure.

The Man They Call Jayne

Hmmmm, could be interesting. Im wondering if some new vehicle gadgets will be coming with the new Tau 'dex though. So far im seeing our vehicles getting 10-15 points cheaper thanks to stuff we dont need to take anymore. Although adding Flechettes seems like a good way to go.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Naser Al-Istikhara Cyrus

So has the max speed of our skimmers changed to be at least as fast as a Leman Russ on a road in 6th? If so, decoy launchers could mean we can keep some nice tank shockers (in the empty fishies, or even a beheaded hammer)

Very upset about the Disruption Pod, but I look forward to some other goodies such as the Decoy Launchers and the possibility of using some fletchettes again.
Quote from: Narric on August 15, 2011, 12:09:07 AM
You make it sound like it could be wearing a top-hat and monocle, but for the sole reason it'd have been painted by Gareth that it would still look terrifying........I have to say I agree. XD
Quote from: Greg Mun

Carrelio

I honestly don't see the decoy launcher being any more effective in 6th than it was in 5th.  It's still a very situational upgrade.  IF you get penetrated, and IF the enemy rolls an immobilized result on the damage table, then IF you moved flat out it is worth using... otherwise you are just risking making things that much worse as immoblized is by far not the worst result that can happen on that table.

Flechettes definitely help discourage assaults, but again, no more than the previous edition (where vehicles were harder to hit and people were still charging them). The new rules and Tau FAQ hasn't really changed this.

Not sure about the multi-tracker for the devilfish or not... on the one hand we no longer need it because the fish can still move and shoot (even if the burst cannon is BS1) and fire all of its drones... on the other hand 10 points to increase accuracy by 33%... not too shabby.

knightperson

Quote from: Lord Zambia on July 02, 2012, 01:00:14 AM
So has the max speed of our skimmers changed to be at least as fast as a Leman Russ on a road in 6th? If so, decoy launchers could mean we can keep some nice tank shockers (in the empty fishies, or even a beheaded hammer)

Very upset about the Disruption Pod, but I look forward to some other goodies such as the Decoy Launchers and the possibility of using some fletchettes again.

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure what happens to Lumbering Behemoth. I think it's unchanged. However, the whole road rule has been removed, unless it's in the terrain section that I haven't gotten to yet. Most vehicles have gotten significantly faster overall, however. Most of the things that look like flyers (stormraven, valkyrie, etc) can now act as flyers, moving 18-36 and firing up to 4 weapons,but only turning up to 90 degrees at the beginning of their movement. Bikes move 12, then can turbo-boost in the shooting phase another 12. Jetbikes turboboost up to 18, and Eldar Jetbikes can then do an additional 2d6 assault move. So that's a theoretical maximum of 42 inches across the board! Fast skimmers can Flat Out 18 in the shooting phase for 30 total. Fast vehicles can fire two weapons at regular BS while at cruising speed and snapshot any remaining, or move combat speed and fire all weapons. (The above is from memory, so it could be inaccurate)
Cured of what I'm suffering from, but suffering from the cure.

Grunt90

I know for an upcoming tournament I'll definitely be taking Multi trackers on everything. Being able to move 12 inches, and fire two weapon systems at full BS is great for Warfish (SmS upgrade and Burst cannon, all at BS 4 w/ Targetting array)

The Disruption pods were completely nerfed, the ONLY good time to have them is when you are immobilized and need a cover save.

Fletchettes, I think I'm going to take them on everything. Especially since my pirhana team can now take it for the whole squad for the points, instead of individually.