News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

How has 6th edition effected your armies?

Started by Brassclaw, July 18, 2012, 06:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brassclaw

So my buddy got the 6th edition rulebook and I got to look it over the past weekend and for me, I was a little underwhelmed by the changes. It seem like the rumor mill was a bit over zealous, saying that there were going to be huge changes. Now they were a few that caught my eye, power weapons become varied, Allies and the fortifications.

My Tyranids have been pretty much unaffected by this new edition. Monstrous Creatures have got a bit more powerful in CC, rending has kept its AP2, venom cannons seem like they can be more useful now, but other than that, not much. I will be pretty much running the same lists that I did in 5th edition.

Now my Worldeaters are a different story. On the heels of another codex, there are so many question that could arise. Mainly my chaos army have a mix of different power weapons especially my terminators. Unlike my tyranids, my worldeaters have tons of options when it comes with Allies, I thinking about adding some Imperial Guard (they will be painted as Blood Pact) to add some range fire support. But I'm holding off until the new codex comes out, you never know what might change.

So how has 6th edition effect your army?   

crisis_vyper

From the way my armies work I will have to say these few words (without taking allies or fortifications);

Dark Eldar: Have grown significantly stronger.

Orks: Gained some, lose some.

Death Guard: Not sure as new codex may change the dynamics. But so far, I believe that they will function decently.

Tzeentch Daemons: Function-wise, may have taken a hit. If my first wave is wiped out, I lose the game. However it is still decent.

SOB: Still crap in my opinion. Need a real codex, not the WD one.

Tau: Improved a little, but will still require a new codex to make things even.

If I were to take allies, then my Dark Eldar, Orks and Death Guard would have the advantage. The other armies do not work well with allies too much.

Scout Sergeant Mkoll

Dark eldar have benefitted from 6th in some ways. Hammer of Wrath and absurdly fast bikes and vehicles to start with, however they now have to get shot at, which is quite painful given how fragile they are and there is virtually no ap2 combat option besides beastmasters with razorwing flocks. Which incidentally is how my army has changed. Dropped my archon with webway, his combat trueborn, their vemom and a unit of hellions for beastmasters and a second ravager.

I despise flyers though. I shouldn't have to change my list and proxy a fortification to stand a chance. :-\
Mkoll's Awesome Card Counter: +8

May the brave be remembered forever. Farewell our friends.

Quote from: Mabbz on June 03, 2011, 10:43:53 AM
Mkoll wins.

Quote from: LordDemon
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to catch you.

[img]http

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Warmaster Russ on July 18, 2012, 07:43:28 AM
Dark eldar have benefitted from 6th in some ways. Hammer of Wrath and absurdly fast bikes and vehicles to start with, however they now have to get shot at, which is quite painful given how fragile they are and there is virtually no ap2 combat option besides beastmasters with razorwing flocks. Which incidentally is how my army has changed. Dropped my archon with webway, his combat trueborn, their vemom and a unit of hellions for beastmasters and a second ravager.

Well, hugging the shade and stuff is even more important than before. And personally I rather shoot the terminators to death than to assault them head-on (but if I have to then the venom blade is sufficient enough). So far, the idea of Focus Fire, Snap-fire and flank shots while using the odd shapes of the Dark Eldar skimmers to get cover saves is working well, and also the Strategic Warlord traits and the night fighting rules only served to make things even more interesting.

Never liked the idea of a head-on battle to begin with so the flanking shots and sniping are working out just fine for me. :pie:

Quote from: Warmaster Russ on July 18, 2012, 07:43:28 AM
I despise flyers though. I shouldn't have to change my list and proxy a fortification to stand a chance. :-\

Fortunately for me, I am already using flyers before the new edition, so I guess I am one of the lucky few who benefited from the flyer rules. So far I have one Razorwing in active duty since 5th edition and two more in reserves (in the case), so it is rather easy for me to swap my entire heavy support to consist of only flyers if I wanted to. I am more interested in the Voidraven Bomber to be honest as that aircraft will (oddly enough given its nature) be my primary dogfighter.

Pottsey

Quote from: crisis_vyper on July 18, 2012, 07:28:17 AM
Tau: Improved a little, but will still require a new codex to make things even.

If I were to take allies, then my Dark Eldar, Orks and Death Guard would have the advantage. The other armies do not work well with allies too much.
I am not too sure on that. Almost army wide 2+cover saves possible with Stealth builds, army wide night version, high mobility with units moving up to 18

Pilum

Only got a small eldar force and not many games Pre-6th, so nothing feels hugely different. Just things everyone has to deal with really. I have to pay attention as to where the exarchs are now, I suppose. Biggest thing is that war walkers feel rather more vulnerable, what with only having 2 hp. On the other hand with vehicles, grav tanks can now move a fair distance and fire all guns at full effect so swings and roundabouts I guess.
A prize from the My Little Warhorse story contest: http://gwarrior456.deviantart.com/art/Its-just-a-little-storm-430546453

Arguleon-veq

In some small ways my Wolves got better, infantry is key to objectives now. I can focus fire. My psychic defense is now arguably the best in the game. I did lose my game winning Wolf Scouts though and have had to put in Lone Wolves instead. Thats all ok.

Then there are flyers. Which my Wolves cant deal with and so my list is invalidated.

My Orks got waaaay better, Lootas are brilliant, so are Nob bikes. Thats all you need.

My Eldar if anything got even worse, my Wraithguard only being able to hold 1 objective, my tanks getting nerfed and my Wychblades got ruined.
X-Wing Tournaments;
1st - 38
11th - 33

The Man They Call Jayne

How have Eldar Tanks been nerfed? I havn't seen their FAQ but they still seem to be fast and still have Holo-Fields and such dont they? The Prism Cannon is still a good weapon isnt it? And Lances got the +1 to damage boost.
Jaynes Awesome Card Counter: +5

Secondspheres Crash Card Counter +4

Rej

Quote from: The Man They Call Jayne on July 18, 2012, 11:07:08 PM
How have Eldar Tanks been nerfed? I havn't seen their FAQ but they still seem to be fast and still have Holo-Fields and such dont they? The Prism Cannon is still a good weapon isnt it? And Lances got the +1 to damage boost.

The thing is the hullpoints negate the holofields. There still fast and resonably armoured, but there not as durable. I play against Eldar A lot and I'm finding the tanks much easier to deal with then before.
Phew...

Chicop76

I think Eldar might have received a big pounding hammer upone them  :facepalm001:.

1. Thanks to hull points it is much easier to deal with their vehicles. I have to recap on the fast vehicle aspect more. The wave serpent might be better thanks to cover save and fortune. I'm still reading, but I'm thing groundar might be better.

2. Units like Banshees have taken a huge hit. Before they could take out those pesky +2 armour saving units. Now they stuck with only being used for +3 or worst.
      A. Turning power weapons to ap3 has made non storm sheild terminators a very scarry melee threat.

B. Assault's is now much harder to get into unless you are a good roller.
                 1. You might roll snake eyes and only can assault 2"
                 2. On average you should be able to assault 7" out. One extra inch better than before, but with over watch assaulting rapid firing marines can cause you to lose a few units taking you out of assault range to be rapid fired again next turn.
                 3. Going back to point 2 you can expect to receive more rapid fire than before.

Tha alternative is to not use Banshees at all and switch to Harliquins with rending which deals with vehicles better and can rip apart ap 2 units. The bad part about using them ismy points 2 and 3 apply to this unit as well. Farseer with fortune is a must.

Overall I think this edition focus more on shooting, placement, and flyers. The biggest WTF is the power weapon nerf on top of the random assaulting. Although most good players usually have their models in cover anyway and you had to roll 2d6 anyway to assault them, which is now a 3d6 removing the highest die roll. I personally think rapid fire is your friend now. Sisters can jump out rapid fire a target and rapid fire it again if they get assaulted. Grant it they need 6s to hit a squad of 10 can still easily get 3-4 hits

Narric

I'm posting this here becuase it can effect any army with heavy use of Flamers.

Simply put, Flamers (and any weapon classed as "Template" cannot be used for Overwatch. It is a part of the rules for "Template" weapons.

Overwatch = Snap Shots
Templates can't be fired as Snap Shots

This personally means my Veteran squad is at risk, as I loaded them with three Flamers and Shotguns. They were to be used for Cover/objective clearing.

The only change I can think of right now, would be to swap one of the Flamers for a Heavy Flamer, so at least they can be better at their job. though it will make the unit more expensive.

crisis_vyper

Quote from: Narric of 4th Sphere on July 20, 2012, 11:03:14 AM
I'm posting this here becuase it can effect any army with heavy use of Flamers.

Simply put, Flamers (and any weapon classed as "Template" cannot be used for Overwatch. It is a part of the rules for "Template" weapons.

Overwatch = Snap Shots
Templates can't be fired as Snap Shots

This personally means my Veteran squad is at risk, as I loaded them with three Flamers and Shotguns. They were to be used for Cover/objective clearing.

The only change I can think of right now, would be to swap one of the Flamers for a Heavy Flamer, so at least they can be better at their job. though it will make the unit more expensive.

Ur....page 52.

Template Weapons can fire Overwatch, even though they cannot fire Snap Shots. Instead, if a Template weapon fires Overwatch, it automatically inflicts D3 hots on the charing unit, resolved at its normal Strength and AP value.

I would suggest reading the rules carefully before saying anything.

Irisado

I don't think that sixth edition is going to have a significant impact on my Eldar army.  Yes, my Howling Banshees riding in a Wave Serpent may get dropped, in the light of the changes to the rules for assaulting out of vehicles, and I doubt that I'll be using Holofields any more on the rare occasions on which I would take my Falcon, but otherwise it's going to remain pretty much the same, at least until the new codex comes out.

My Chaos force is likely to see more changes.  Being able to ally with Daemons makes it possible for me to make a much more interesting Word Bearers army, and I'm also attracted by the idea of finally creating my Ahriman themed Thousand Sons force.
Soñando con una playa donde brilla el sol, un arco iris ilumina el cielo, y el mar espejea iridescentemente

Wargamer

I can see flamer spam becoming a big thing; units like Burna Boys are now pretty damn scary to try and get off an objective!

Think about it, in exchange for losing their power weapons, a 10-man unit could get between 10-30 free Str 4 AP 5 hits against whoever charges them. Auto hits, I hasten to add. You could potentially wipe an entire squad of Marines through Overwatch alone with that kind of firepower, which means they must lay down some firepower to soften you up first. That also means you have more time to get your own combat units into place to pre-emptively charge them, or to counter-charge when they do go in against your weakened Burnas.

Sternguard spamming combi-flamers are another example of this nastiness.
I wrote a novel - Dreamscape: The Wanderer.. Available in paperback and pdf.

Quote from: Liberate the Warhammers
People who have no sense of Sportsmanship have NO PLACE designing any Gaming system

loeldrad

I agree with you on the flamers Wargamer. The improvement to bike toughness and the way Flamers work with Overwatch makes me excited to use Jet Bike Seers again. Nothing like a ton of re-roll to wound heavy flamer shots just for being charged.