News:

For the most up to date reports about what is going on with the forum, and the latest topics of interest, throw us a like on Facebook, and if you're wanting some light banter with the seasoned and spiced members, join the Second Sphere Members Group.

Main Menu

Is Rending Better?

Started by Chicop76, July 29, 2012, 11:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chicop76

I was reading 6th and realised rending is much better than before. Now you can't just allocate wounds away like in 5th. Now all wounds count unlike before.

This is my first time doing the math, but I am going to use 10 daemonettes assaulting 4 like marines and 4 marines that are differant. If I am wrong any corrections would be greatly apricated.

5th edition

10 Daemonettes have 40 attacks on the charge. 20 attacks hit causing 3 rends and 3 wounds which would kill all 4 marines. Now how the rules work this would be the same for 10 differant in 6th edition as well. If going against sisters of battle you would kill 5 sisters on the initial charge.

Same as above, but against differant models that can allocate away. In this case the 4th marine would only hqave to make 1 save at 66.66% which more than likely would spare the marine. Against sisters the 4th would only take 2 wounds which means the 4 th have a good chance still of staing alive. In the sisters case it's the differance of 5 dead sisters over 3 dead sisters.

If you through in multiwound models with marines with 2 wounds that would be 2 dead marines if they was like models, but with 4 models in mind all differant in 5th all could surive taking 4 wounds.

Personally I think rending now hve more bite against units like nobs and paladins. Harliquins with furious charge will now be much scarier than before.

Will's on Fire

Rending is very useful now as it's ap2 if it rends, making a rending hit more powerful than a power weapon.

It effectively does the same thing as it did before, but now poer weapons have become slightly weaker, rending is far more useful against TeQ's, and power weapons still being better against MeQ.

- Will

Chicop76

Quote from: Will Vas Fire on July 29, 2012, 11:04:37 AM
Rending is very useful now as it's ap2 if it rends, making a rending hit more powerful than a power weapon.

It effectively does the same thing as it did before, but now poer weapons have become slightly weaker, rending is far more useful against TeQ's, and power weapons still being better against MeQ.

- Will

I forgot to mention that rending is +1 on the vehicle damage charts making it a more effective vehicle killer than before. Thinking about Grey Knights str 7 rending love.

Unusual Suspect

Quote from: Chicop76 on July 29, 2012, 11:19:19 AM

- Will

I forgot to mention that rending is +1 on the vehicle damage charts making it a more effective vehicle killer than before. Thinking about Grey Knights str 7 rending love.

On a penetrating hit, it is exactly equal to a 5th edition Penetrating hit, aside from a 5 being an explosion rather than a wrecked.

AP 3 and worse weapons got a nerf, AP 2 and better stayed the same.

Of course, vehicles are generally much squishier now... so you're correct, just due to the addition of Hull Points and a general lessening of cover saves,  rather than the +1 on the vehicle damage table.
I you private dancer.

Pottsey

Quote from: Unusual Suspect on July 29, 2012, 04:51:29 PM
Quote from: Chicop76 on July 29, 2012, 11:19:19 AM

- Will

On a penetrating hit, it is exactly equal to a 5th edition Penetrating hit, aside from a 5 being an explosion rather than a wrecked.

AP 3 and worse weapons got a nerf, AP 2 and better stayed the same.

Of course, vehicles are generally much squishier now... so you're correct, just due to the addition of Hull Points and a general lessening of cover saves,  rather than the +1 on the vehicle damage table.
Vehicles did not get a lessening of cover saves if anything it was the opposite. In the case of vehicles cover saves got more common and better with it now being possible to get a 2+cover save for only 25% obscured.